A 5.9 Earthquake hits Va; felt all the way up in New York

It is a big deal for the east because their structural foundations aren't built to withstand earthquake impacts... Their buildings consist of old brick, etc easily collapsible in the event of a decent earthquake. Our (referring to my native state of residency, CA) foundations are built to hold up to the quakes. 5, 6, pshaw. Feels just like home! :cool:

It is a big deal for the east because their structural foundations aren't built to withstand earthquake impacts... Their buildings consist of old brick, etc easily collapsible in the event of a decent earthquake. Our (referring to my native state of residency, CA) foundations are built to hold up to the quakes. 5, 6, pshaw. Feels just like home! :cool:

No building in the world can withstand a good ole midwestern earthquake. :D

since we're in smartphone era - I think they were checking news because txting/calling were jammed but Internet was not.

I find it puzzling that this was not really supposed to happen. Since 9/11, the government implemented protocols and equipment to handle heavy load in the time of large-scale emergency situation. Looks like our tax money has gone to waste.... :roll:

unless I am mistaken, the protocol was that emergency services would have cellular priority during an emergency... thus, everyone else would experience bandwidth constriction. My dad works for the Red Cross and he has an emergency phone number that allows him to make phone calls when everyone else is unable due to congestion.

unless I am mistaken, the protocol was that emergency services would have cellular priority during an emergency... thus, everyone else would experience bandwidth constriction. My dad works for the Red Cross and he has an emergency phone number that allows him to make phone calls when everyone else is unable due to congestion.

that's for communication within agencies but what about for general population?

you are serious? reason! oh your father red cross emergency communication to people help back up ?

The earthquake was also felt in Ottawa, ON lol which is VERY far from VA but above sort of the east coast of US... My friends daughter in maryland was playing outside and thought the quake was funny..my friend was having heart palpations and her daughter whos like 3 was going "mommy mommy i can dance and shake!" hahahaha

The earthquake was also felt in Ottawa, ON lol which is VERY far from VA but above sort of the east coast of US... My friends daughter in maryland was playing outside and thought the quake was funny..my friend was having heart palpations and her daughter whos like 3 was going "mommy mommy i can dance and shake!" hahahaha

you are funny :giggle: OMG you are funny

that's for communication within agencies but what about for general population?

you are serious? reason! oh your father red cross emergency communication to people help back up ?

I don't think there was any consensus on what the private sector was required to provide. I know they were "asked" to expand their capacity to handle sudden large volume during emergency. But the focus was on emergency workers (government, FEMA, SAR groups, Police, Fire, First Responders, Red Cross, ect...). I know the Federal government paid a lot of money for this as well.

Today I chatted with friends whose pets acted up just before the quake. Interesting. Has anyone's pets in here do the same?

My friend, ‎Drago Renteria, said:

"Earthquake on the East Coast. Okay, I've been trying really hard not to roll my eyes, afterall there was some minor damage here and there (including to some Gally buildings), but come on... how can I not RFLMAO when I read comments like, "I survived the big quake" ??"

You east coast people are a-frickin-dorable. :giggle::giggle:

LOL

I had experienced with quakes in Northern CA during my time (2001-2004). I felt only two of four earthquakes in CA.

Ok, I want to share this with you: my earthquake experiences:

Jan. 31, 1986: I had my first experience while I was inside the high school (home economics room). I felt the building shaking wildly and thought a student set a bomb inside HS. It was announced that it was an earthquake started in Perry, Ohio.

My 2nd and 3rd experiences in Northern California during my time (2001-2004): I felt very minor shaking. Third was very interesting. I felt like that a huge 18 wheel truck hit the pole so hard, so my ass on the chair was swayed back and forth (I lived in an apt above the garage on college campus). There were four earthquakes in CA during my time, but I felt only two quakes.

My 4th experience in NYC: I was talking to someone via relay service on VP and felt the shake. I was like WTF? I thought something was wrong with the manhole again since Con Ed has been repairing the issues for little over a week. Soon, I got out of that building and checked FB statuses on my iphone. It was earthquake!! Oh, geez!!

WHAT A QUAKE DAY!! :)

In the event of a catastrophe and communication is cut, if it's not cellular connections (those can get powered down or lose signals), they will utilize Ham and CB shortwave radios for communication. Channel 9 is the official FCC emergency channel. :P

My old man messed around with radio and electronics, learned this knowledge from him. CB can go anywhere.. they use it out there for expedition treks, grand canyon, forest rangers, so on... That's how they can communicate where cellphones can't.

Today I chatted with friends whose pets acted up just before the quake. Interesting. Has anyone's pets in here do the same?

Yes, one of my cats was racing around nonstop before the quake. I'm not sure when she started -- maybe an hour before? I wasn't really paying attention.

my grandma told me about earthquake in washington,D.C. im hope people who work for DC no laugh matters..

the Sky is falling! the Sky is falling!the Sky is falling!the Sky is falling!the Sky is falling!the Sky is falling!the Sky is falling!

I've never understood why earthquakes are so terrifying to so many people. Don't get me wrong, I'm not belittling anyone that was traumatized. I understand there can be a rush of adrenaline. This is our body's normal response to danger. Get yourself to a safer place (door way, under a desk, outdoors away from tall objects...). But to live in fear afterward, that's the part I don't get.

I've never understood why earthquakes are so terrifying to so many people. Don't get me wrong, I'm not belittling anyone that was traumatized. I understand there can be a rush of adrenaline. This is our body's normal response to danger. Get yourself to a safer place (door way, under a desk, outdoors away from tall objects...). But to live in fear afterward, that's the part I don't get.

mortality.

Back