Resident Punk Ass
Premium Member
Reaction score
10 Things Only People From The Carolinas Understand
C’mon Carolinians, you know it’s true.
10 Things Only People From The Carolinas Understand - Movoto

1. That “Wagon Wheel” And “Carolina In My Mind” Are Our Songs
carolinas-understand-1.jpg

People in the Carolinas are very territorial over these songs because, let’s be honest, they’re both Carolina “anthems.” Maybe N.C. prefers James Taylor and S.C. prefers Old Crow Medicine Show (or Darius Rucker…), but both states love these songs and feel like they help define part of what it means to be from the Carolinas. Basically, these songs belong to us, so get over it.

2. That BBQ Here Is the Best—Deal With It
carolinas-understand-2.jpg

Though there are fights within (and between!) the states over which style BBQ sauces are the best, collectively we just have to agree this region knows its BBQ. Vinegar and pepper? Tomato? Lexington style? Doesn’t really matter—when it comes down to it, it’s all good, and Carolinians’ are proud of it!

3. Sweet Tea + A Front Porch = Heaven
carolinas-understand-3.jpg

First of all. Sweet. Tea. It’s just the best thing in the world.

Second of all? The Carolinas have, bar none, the best front porches you’ll ever see in your life. Porches that wrap around entire houses, double decker porches, porches with porch swings, porches with rocking chairs…they’ve got it all.

Now, if you put sweet tea and front porches together, it’s basically paradise.

4. Carolina Childhood Can Be Summed Up In Four Words: Swimming Holes And Creeks
carolinas-understand-4.jpg

If you grew up without swimming holes and creeks, lemme be the first to tell ya that you were deprived. There is absolutely nothing like jumping in a creek or swimming hole on a summer day in the Carolinas. Rope swing, getting pushed in, jumping in on your own…no matter how you got in the water, you got in the water. Every. Darn. Day.

5. The Joy Of Eating Biscuits 24/7
carolinas-understand-5.jpg

If we could eat biscuits for every meal, we would. And, well, we kinda do…biscuit breakfast sandwiches, fried chicken and biscuits, biscuits and sausage gravy…in the Carolinas, biscuits are like nothing you’ve ever tasted in your life. No part of you cares at all about the nutritional value (or lack thereof) of biscuits. You just want them all of the time. And you can have them. All of the time.

6. That There’s A Bojangles And Chic-Fil-A On Every Corner
carolinas-understand-6.jpg

These two fast food chains basically define who we are. Bojangles biscuits are to die for. But, really, their entire menu pretty much redefines everything you think you know about fast food in that it is 1,000 million gazillion times (no exaggeration—OK, maybe a little exaggeration) better than any other fast food you’ve ever tasted. And Chic-Fil-A chicken? Don’t even get me started. Spicy chicken sandwiches all day, every day. Yes. Please.

7. Grits Aren’t Just A Meal, They’re A Lifestyle
carolinas-understand-7.jpg

If you think folks here love their biscuits wait to see how they feel about grits. In the Carolinas it’s grits in the mornin’, grits in the afternoon followed by grits at night. And if you didn’t eat shrimp and grits on Christmas growing up, you missed out.

8. That Ohio Is The Worst
carolinas-understand-8.jpg

OK folks, its time to get real for a moment here. Both states have beef with Ohio—For North Carolina, it’s because of the “first in flight” ordeal (Ohio says it’s the birthplace of aviation, but, c’mon, we know N.C. was first in flight). And S.C. pretty much loathes Ohio because of the influx of Ohioans to S.C. and how they’ve influenced our culture (i.e. where the heck are y’all’s manners, Ohioans? And what’s with the shorts and tube socks?)

9. No Home Is Complete Without A Secret Stash Of Moonshine
carolinas-understand-9.gif

Moonshine is often looked down upon by those who don’t live in the Carolinas. But we know that moonshine is just misunderstood. Ever since prohibition the Carolinas have had a long and storied tradition of making their own hooch. While that national nightmare is long since over the Carolinas love of moonshine hasn’t waned. So even today, it just isn’t a Carolina home without a secret stash of homemade hooch.

10. The Best Place To Cure A Moonshine Hangover Is Cook Out
carolinas-understand-10.jpg

Cook Out is the known for cheap, greasy Southern food and is absolutely the only way to really cure your hangover. So, the only question is: Who’s the least hung-over and willing to drive us there?​

Carolina's BBQ??...nah...don't like it...agree about Ohio tho'...and Carolina "porches"...good memories there....

I bet thee a lot overweight people there too with all that sugar in your food. I do not like sugar in my tea or coffee.

Lowcountry--mustard-base BBQ sauce on pulled pork!

#8--True!

Oh, yes, shrimp and grits! :drool:

We have a front porch with rocking chairs. :)

Lowcountry--mustard-base BBQ sauce on pulled pork!

#8--True!

Oh, yes, shrimp and grits! :drool:

We have a front porch with rocking chairs. :)

My house in California had a front porch but I did not have a rocking chair on it. I loved my little saltbox house .

We don't have any hidden hooch or an old sofa on the front porch, but could use a Moon Pie and an RC Cola right about now.

Just recently traveled through Ohio. All true.

One of these days I want to go and experience some Southern hospitality (and Southern girls!)

I grew up in Indiana (but in the liberal bubble), and couldn't agree more with #8 (I don't hate people from Ohio, I just hate the state)

Pretty traditional, alright! :giggle: I've done #4 (great lakes to swim in at the time, not sure now...), #9 (grandfather always brought 'shine from Kentucky, mostly had it for July 4th, New Year's Eve, and formal occasions. Crazy stuff!) and #10 (BBQ smoked to perrrrrfection! :P )

Aaaaaand shame on them for forgetting, you haven't experienced Carolina without attending one of these...

nascar+animation.gif

Last edited:
Pretty traditional, alright! :giggle: I've done #4 (great lakes to swim in at the time, not sure now...), #9 (grandfather always brought 'shine from Kentucky, mostly had it for July 4th, New Year's Eve, and formal occasions. Crazy stuff!) and #10 (BBQ smoked to perrrrrfection! :P )

Aaaaaand shame on them for forgetting, you haven't experienced Carolina without attending one of these...

nascar+animation.gif

We, (me, son-in-law and both grandsons) attended race at Charlotte Motor Speedway, Concord, NC 13 Oct 2012. Race was rather boring, no accidents, one spin out. Exciting part was watching Nik Wallenda walk the wire from the highest point in the grandstands to a crane in the infield.

We, (me, son-in-law and both grandsons) attended race at Charlotte Motor Speedway, Concord, NC 13 Oct 2012. Race was rather boring, no accidents, one spin out. Exciting part was watching Nik Wallenda walk the wire from the highest point in the grandstands to a crane in the infield.

Not all races result in wrecks, it's how you follow it based on the pole positions. Those on Sundays in late winter/spring are better. But to each their own, ya know? I' m from NC and I despise grits! :lol:

Not all races result in wrecks, it's how you follow it based on the pole positions. Those on Sundays in late winter/spring are better. But to each their own, ya know? I' m from NC and I despise grits! :lol:

You aren't the only one. I don't care for tea either. Rather have lemonade or banana pudding..

21l3k29.png

You aren't the only one. I don't care for tea either. Rather have lemonade or banana pudding..
1115cw5.jpg

but.... I love grits and tea....

Grits, tea AND banana pudding are disgusting.... because bananas are gross.... :ugh: Chocolate pudding or vanilla pudding is delicious though! Rice pudding is disgusting.... :barf: The texture.... THE TEXTURE!!! Like you're eating little insects in your pudding... :barf: :ugh: The taste isn't very good, either.... :ugh: Lemonade is tasty though! :D

Grits, tea AND banana pudding are disgusting.... because bananas are gross.... :ugh: Chocolate pudding or vanilla pudding is delicious though! Rice pudding is disgusting.... :barf: The texture.... THE TEXTURE!!! Like you're eating little insects in your pudding... :barf: :ugh: The taste isn't very good, either.... :ugh: Lemonade is tasty though! :D

Read the label and make sure that vanilla didn't come from a beaver's behind! :ugh:

Had a hankering for banana pudding so I made me one today and had some of it for dessert after a supper of pulled pork BBQ with Mac & Cheese :D Best banana pudding I've had since the last time I made it :naughty:
attachment.php

Attachments

• 2014-06-04_18-33-22_583.jpg
    2014-06-04_18-33-22_583.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 71
Had a hankering for banana pudding so I made me one today and had some of it for dessert after a supper of pulled pork BBQ with Mac & Cheese :D Best banana pudding I've had since the last time I made it :naughty:
attachment.php

Fellow southerner. :cool2:

Maybe that is why I like drag racing better + I despise grits too.

Back