AllDeaf.com
Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Deaf Interests > Captioning & Sign Language Interpreter
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Unread 01-30-2012, 04:55 PM   #1
SteveMcGarrett
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anybody notice the improvement with Netflix?

Subtitles are on most movies and shows. Like now i can watch the Old Five O over again . But it needs to be on ALL MOVIES & SHOWS! For example there arent much subtitles on WWE shows
SteveMcGarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 02-09-2012, 11:35 AM   #2
CrazyPaul

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Netflix is adding subtitles to streaming movies/TV shows gradually as promised. Nevertheless, its subtitles suck, IMO. (They are not professionally done as statements break down too often). It turns me off. For other viewers, it's better than nothing.

For example, Netflix subtitles are displayed like that:

Netflix is adding
subtitles to streaming
movies/TV shows gradually

DVD/BD subtitles are displayed like that:

Netflix is adding subtitles to streaming movies/TV shows
gradually as promised.
CrazyPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2012, 11:28 AM   #3
jack55

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I signed up for netflix streaming yesterday and gonna quit as of today because there is no excuse for them to NOT have caption with a brand new Samsung HDTV and Samsung Blu-Ray player... no excuse at all.
Sure, Streaming may work on a PC, but C'mon, I want to see it on my new 60" HDTV.

I'm going back to Blockbusters DVD-by-mail because GREEDY Netflix wants you to pay for Streaming first, then add DVD to that.

Last edited by jack55; 03-29-2012 at 12:03 PM.
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2012, 11:59 AM   #4
Lily7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's getting better, yes, but there are still plenty of things I want to watch that don't have captions yet. The fact that the movies ABOUT deafness are STILL not captioned after all this time really pisses me off. Considering that they've added captions to MANY other movies since people first started talking about the deafness movies not having captions, and the fact that they do seem to add captions according to requests and I KNOW many of us have requested captions for the movies about deafness... it is starting to feel like they are intentionally leaving the movies about deafness uncaptioned. I know that is silly but it FEELS that way. I am frustrated.
Unread 03-29-2012, 01:11 PM   #5
VacationGuy234

Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I'm not sure if the law requires old movies to be captioned, publishers might just be doing this as an added bonus. However, titles that are already captioned should be facilitated, I believe.

I am happy that they are doing more subtitles. I might just keep Netflix after all.
Unread 04-08-2012, 04:41 PM   #6
GrayEagle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wirelessly posted

We were offered the choice of both, streaming *or* DVD mail service, when they changed things. Before we had been paying for both but never using or even trying the streaming. I'd read too much about issues playing on Macs plus we have a flat screen TV so why sit huddled in front of our desk top? :O

We figured the separation of the two options came due to the lawsuit about lack of captioning but still required to pay for it because streaming was just "included." We opted for DVD mail service both for captioning *and* to watch easily on our TV. And our monthly fee dropped almost $4. KEWL! So, we stuck with Netflix because for us, we got what we wanted, without having to pay any longer for what we couldn't use (streaming), at a decent price. I am glad they are now making good with captioning for streaming, too. I just am concerned the captioning is not professionally done. That's confusing as I thought they just had to unblock/fix the streaming technology so it didn't block the captioning signal. They had to figure that out for cable hookups for HD feeds, too, as I understand. So why have to do captions all over again? I don't understand that. And if they are using that crappy program they use on YouTube... Yikes is all I can say! :-\

"We deem those happy who from the experience of life have learnt to bear its ills without being overcome by them."
~~Carl Jung
GrayEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2012, 06:56 PM   #7
CrazyPaul

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayEagle View Post
Wirelessly posted

We were offered the choice of both, streaming *or* DVD mail service, when they changed things. Before we had been paying for both but never using or even trying the streaming. I'd read too much about issues playing on Macs plus we have a flat screen TV so why sit huddled in front of our desk top? :O

We figured the separation of the two options came due to the lawsuit about lack of captioning but still required to pay for it because streaming was just "included." We opted for DVD mail service both for captioning *and* to watch easily on our TV. And our monthly fee dropped almost $4. KEWL! So, we stuck with Netflix because for us, we got what we wanted, without having to pay any longer for what we couldn't use (streaming), at a decent price. I am glad they are now making good with captioning for streaming, too. I just am concerned the captioning is not professionally done. That's confusing as I thought they just had to unblock/fix the streaming technology so it didn't block the captioning signal. They had to figure that out for cable hookups for HD feeds, too, as I understand. So why have to do captions all over again? I don't understand that. And if they are using that crappy program they use on YouTube... Yikes is all I can say! :-\
I would like to ask two questions about DVDs that you receive by mail. Are ALL DVDs captioned? Do they include CC (white texts with black background) or English subtitles/SDH (yellow texts with no background) or both? If the answer is CC only, then HDMI has no capability to carry CC since DVD/BD players don't have a built-in CC decoder so a composite video has to be used instead for that purpose.

FYI, FCC requires all new DVD/BD players to include a CC decoder from 2014 on (due to HDMI connections).
Unread 04-09-2012, 04:05 AM   #8
GrayEagle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wirelessly posted

We only order the DVDs that say they are captioned. We don't have an HD capable DVD player. We bought one without it as a combo w/ VHS player. We had to avoid all players w/ HD because it blocks signal to TV. So we do get the CC or the SDH from the DVDs we get from Netflix. Good to know they will regulate future HD players to not block the signal for future players. I hadn't heard of the new regulations.

"We deem those happy who from the experience of life have learnt to bear its ills without being overcome by them."
~~Carl Jung

Last edited by GrayEagle; 04-09-2012 at 04:07 AM.
GrayEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2012, 10:41 AM   #9
CrazyPaul

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayEagle View Post
Wirelessly posted
I hadn't heard of the new regulations.
http://www.alldeaf.com/captioning-si...ing-rules.html

"the HDMI hole is closed (hooray!). Starting in 2014, DVD and BluRay players must support CC over HDMI with set-top boxes also required to support them."

So that means those devices must have a built-in CC decoder starting in 2014.
Unread 05-27-2012, 07:51 PM   #10
ambrosia
Premium Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I left my husband about 3 months ago and when I set everything up for the apartment i was leery of big bills, so I don't have cable....I have netfliks, which I stream through our Xbox. Mostly my kids use but the thing I've tried to watch that DIDN'T have captions was the pilot episode for Breaking Bad. Also I have never seen chopped up text either...it's all written just like what I'm writing now. Does what your streaming netfliks through effect the captions?
ambrosia is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2012, 10:29 PM   #11
Lau2046

Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
I hate when they advertise a film as being in Mandarin and it's dubbed English...and no subs. I also love finally seeing a favorite series or film and finding zero captions....

Laura
Lau2046 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2012, 11:00 PM   #12
scoobydoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I quit Netflix so long ago because most of the newer movies didn't have subtitles. I usually just suck it up and wait until it's out on Blu-Ray and buy it since movie theatres don't have subtitles.
scoobydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2012, 01:01 AM   #13
WillKnit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been finding that the captions are often significantly ahead of, or behind the speech. For someone like me, who can hear to an extent but not enough to make out all speech, it's incredibly distracting. I'm trying to read one thing while hearing but not really being able to understand something else altogether. It's crazy confusing. It also means that the captions are being displayed with the wrong character on the screen so you don't really know who is saying what.
I do enjoy that the law and order theme is captioned [funky mystery music]. If only all captions were that descriptive!
WillKnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 11:03 AM   #14
Peach8321

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's still a lot of missing captioning for netflix shows (like Lie to Me). We find one, open it, no captions - we find another, open it, no captions....makes for frustrating me when I pay the bill and can't enjoy full use of the service.

Movies are a bit better, but the last one we got (TV show - Hustle) could only show captions if we played it on the computer, not the playstation.

I can't wait until everything is captioned!
Peach8321 is offline   Reply With Quote