AllDeaf.com
Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Miscellaneous > Auto Talk
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Advertisement
Advertisement
Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-17-2011, 12:09 AM   #1
sequoias
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 22,254
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
All about electric cars!

Discuss here.....

sequoias is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 12:21 AM   #2
Jiro
If You Know What I Mean
 
Jiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Soprano State
Posts: 67,705
Likes: 15
Liked 121 Times in 86 Posts
nah. I'll stick with this

__________________
- Don't forget to buy Jiro's Special Edition Sunglasses for $19.95
Jiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 12:44 AM   #3
authentic
Registered User
 
authentic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 7,105
Likes: 12
Liked 42 Times in 24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
nah. I'll stick with this

Cummins Diesel vs Bicyclist - YouTube
That diesel truck driver must bring to justice.
__________________
authentic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 01:05 AM   #4
dereksbicycles
Registered User
 
dereksbicycles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 60202
Posts: 6,025
Likes: 33
Liked 39 Times in 24 Posts
Send a message via AIM to dereksbicycles
Rams are cool!! I have a Ram, but that is pretty rude what they're doing there.

As for electric cars, the whole world will change once electric cars come in production.

Think about it. All gas stations will go out of business. Electric stations will have to be built.

People cannot get rich quickly on oil and gas. Electrical fields will become a more demanding field.

I would go on and on. I am sure you can add to this.
dereksbicycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 01:08 AM   #5
authentic
Registered User
 
authentic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 7,105
Likes: 12
Liked 42 Times in 24 Posts
I would rather to wait for electric car to be able to drive more than 500 miles without recharging, maybe nuclear fuel cell work better ? Soviet submarine use nuclear fuel cell, and one nuclear fuel cell ball would be able to run submarine for twenty years.
__________________
authentic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 01:11 AM   #6
authentic
Registered User
 
authentic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 7,105
Likes: 12
Liked 42 Times in 24 Posts
Here is the worst electric car design I ever seen;





*VOMITS*
__________________
authentic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 01:13 AM   #7
dereksbicycles
Registered User
 
dereksbicycles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 60202
Posts: 6,025
Likes: 33
Liked 39 Times in 24 Posts
Send a message via AIM to dereksbicycles
Just imagine what happen if the battery die and someone drove an electric car with turbocharged engine. Just imagine going from 150 mph to zero!!!! that is why many people dislike the idea of electric car.
dereksbicycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 01:17 AM   #8
Jiro
If You Know What I Mean
 
Jiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Soprano State
Posts: 67,705
Likes: 15
Liked 121 Times in 86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by authentic View Post
I would rather to wait for electric car to be able to drive more than 500 miles without recharging, maybe nuclear fuel cell work better ? Soviet submarine use nuclear fuel cell, and one nuclear fuel cell ball would be able to run submarine for twenty years.
nuclear fuel cell means massive cooling system. that's why submarine has several nuclear engineers to keep it humming and cool for 20+ years.

electric car that goes on for 500+ miles without recharging won't ever come into existence on practical scale for probably next 25 years until some genius made a life-changing breakthrough in chemical engineering for battery.

Hybrid Car makes sense. I wouldn't be surprised if an affordable hybrid car can go more than 800 miles per refuel by 2020.
__________________
- Don't forget to buy Jiro's Special Edition Sunglasses for $19.95
Jiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 01:18 AM   #9
Jiro
If You Know What I Mean
 
Jiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Soprano State
Posts: 67,705
Likes: 15
Liked 121 Times in 86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by authentic View Post
I think Chevrolet Volt kinda looks cool

__________________
- Don't forget to buy Jiro's Special Edition Sunglasses for $19.95
Jiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 01:19 AM   #10
Jiro
If You Know What I Mean
 
Jiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Soprano State
Posts: 67,705
Likes: 15
Liked 121 Times in 86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dereksbicycles View Post
Rams are cool!! I have a Ram, but that is pretty rude what they're doing there.

As for electric cars, the whole world will change once electric cars come in production.

Think about it. All gas stations will go out of business. Electric stations will have to be built.

People cannot get rich quickly on oil and gas. Electrical fields will become a more demanding field.

I would go on and on. I am sure you can add to this.
here's a problem. if the world changes to electric cars and electric stations... that will means we need to build more nuclear power plants... which means it's not an environmentally-friendly approach. It's gonna get hotter.
__________________
- Don't forget to buy Jiro's Special Edition Sunglasses for $19.95
Jiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 01:21 AM   #11
authentic
Registered User
 
authentic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 7,105
Likes: 12
Liked 42 Times in 24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
nuclear fuel cell means massive cooling system. that's why submarine has several nuclear engineers to keep it humming and cool for 20+ years.

electric car that goes on for 500+ miles without recharging won't ever come into existence on practical scale for probably next 25 years until some genius made a life-changing breakthrough in chemical engineering for battery.

Hybrid Car makes sense. I wouldn't be surprised if an affordable hybrid car can go more than 800 miles per refuel by 2020.
Here in California have approx 200 days of sun, solar powered vehicles would be the best fit in here.
__________________
authentic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 01:22 AM   #12
dereksbicycles
Registered User
 
dereksbicycles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 60202
Posts: 6,025
Likes: 33
Liked 39 Times in 24 Posts
Send a message via AIM to dereksbicycles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
here's a problem. if the world changes to electric cars and electric stations... that will means we need to build more nuclear power plants... which means it's not an environmentally-friendly approach. It's gonna get hotter.
and probably more polluted which is sad because I would like to think goal of electric cars was to lessen negative environmental impact.
dereksbicycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 05:37 AM   #13
Chevy57
Sherlock Hound
 
Chevy57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: O..HI..O!
Posts: 11,060
Likes: 1
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by authentic View Post
Here in California have approx 200 days of sun, solar powered vehicles would be the best fit in here.


You can trade this van.
Chevy57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 06:09 AM   #14
Evo Dragon
Registered User
 
Evo Dragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,108
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Electric sportcar
Tesla Motors | Premium Electric Vehicles
__________________
Evo Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 07:49 AM   #15
sequoias
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 22,254
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
There would be about 15 models of electric vehicles by 2013 and over a million electric cars produced a year by 2015. There should be a electric version of Toyota RAV4 by next year. I dunno about the others, we'll see.

I still wonder why there are only one speed transmissions in most electric cars. Why not just put in 2 or 3 speed transmission and that might help extend the battery range. The electric motors would spin at lower speeds. They have 100% torque at zero to redline. The Nissan Leaf has 107 hp and 208 torque. The zero to 60 times is 9.9 secs, not bad for a 3,375 lb car (the battery pack alone weighs 600 lbs). The torque does help a lot.
sequoias is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 07:54 AM   #16
sequoias
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 22,254
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by authentic View Post
Here in California have approx 200 days of sun, solar powered vehicles would be the best fit in here.
Solar powered cars are not feasible yet. The solar cells would be very large to have good power demand for average american.
sequoias is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 07:56 AM   #17
sequoias
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 22,254
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
That Telsa Roadster has pretty good range for a electric car, 245 miles per charge even though it has one speed direct drive transmission and its electric motor can spin up to 13,500 rpm. Too bad it's not a great family car.
sequoias is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 08:04 AM   #18
Chevy57
Sherlock Hound
 
Chevy57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: O..HI..O!
Posts: 11,060
Likes: 1
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoias View Post
That Telsa Roadster has pretty good range for a electric car, 245 miles per charge even though it has one speed direct drive transmission and its electric motor can spin up to 13,500 rpm. Too bad it's not a great family car.
Yes, other vehicle as sedan

Car and Driver Blog Ľ Tesla: Model X Crossover On Sale in Late 2013, Model S Moving Along, $30K Vehicle Planned for 2015/2016
Chevy57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 09:45 AM   #19
diehardbiker
Registered User
 
diehardbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: KKnabis's House
Posts: 15,009
Likes: 49
Liked 65 Times in 54 Posts
Not going to happen, Electric cars were once popular before 1906.

Why did the electric car become unpopular in the early 1900s? - Curiosity

Read on.
__________________
J-MAC's quote: "People who try and fail are more superior than people who don't try at all"

"If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as the souls who live under tyranny."
Thomas Jefferson (1778)

NY Governor Andrew Cuomo MUST go! We, the New Yorker had ENOUGH of Cuomo's BS!
diehardbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 10:11 AM   #20
deafsmogtech
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Surf City
Posts: 2,017
Likes: 5
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
nah. I'll stick with this

Cummins Diesel vs Bicyclist - YouTube
Lol, bad heath for bicyclists. Bust a gross polluted truck driver.
deafsmogtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 10:19 AM   #21
diehardbiker
Registered User
 
diehardbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: KKnabis's House
Posts: 15,009
Likes: 49
Liked 65 Times in 54 Posts
It might be sounding sense BUT don't you realize the true cost of replacing the batteries?

The sales of Hybrid cars has decline a bit already and may go down.

Comparing to regular car and hybrid car when it comes to major and expensive components.

Regular cars, has only two major components Engine and transmission. The rest is not expensive to replace.

Hybrid cars has 4 major components Engine, Transmission, energy reclaiming (Brake), and batteries.

Just think this way, all of the components will fail at some point and need to replace. Just think this way, Hybrid cars may save say 3 or 4 thousands dollars on gas over 8 years, and the replacement of batteries usually around 8 years and it cost easily $5,000 dollars. How is it possible a sensible to get Hybrid Oh wait! there is three other major components that could go wrong. There is no real savings in Hybrid cars anyway.

The only exception for electric cars is that I supported fuel cell, why? Simple, it got two major components. That is Motor and Fuel cell, and Hydrogen is renewable and plenty in the world.

Read on this one http://www.hybridcars.com/economics/hidden-costs.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
Hybrid Car makes sense. I wouldn't be surprised if an affordable hybrid car can go more than 800 miles per refuel by 2020.
__________________
J-MAC's quote: "People who try and fail are more superior than people who don't try at all"

"If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as the souls who live under tyranny."
Thomas Jefferson (1778)

NY Governor Andrew Cuomo MUST go! We, the New Yorker had ENOUGH of Cuomo's BS!
diehardbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 10:42 AM   #22
PowerON
Registered User
 
PowerON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: 37.5, 126.9
Posts: 10,884
Blog Entries: 5
Likes: 3
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Send a message via AIM to PowerON Send a message via Yahoo to PowerON Send a message via Skype™ to PowerON
Quote:
Originally Posted by authentic View Post
I would rather to wait for electric car to be able to drive more than 500 miles without recharging, maybe nuclear fuel cell work better ? Soviet submarine use nuclear fuel cell, and one nuclear fuel cell ball would be able to run submarine for twenty years.
lol, I have been told that early . However, it will nuke once it been in accident. Plus, it give bad radiator to body while driving.
__________________
ē [Illustrator.Blog-alloon.com] ē
Don't shoot me! I'm only blogger!
PowerON is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 12:02 PM   #23
The Highlander
Registered User
 
The Highlander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 8,111
Likes: 4
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by authentic View Post
I would rather to wait for electric car to be able to drive more than 500 miles without recharging, maybe nuclear fuel cell work better ? Soviet submarine use nuclear fuel cell, and one nuclear fuel cell ball would be able to run submarine for twenty years.
Once nuclear fuel cell got leak then you got short life like probably few hours to few hours.
__________________
"There are a lot of people that donít like this software. It is because they donít understand how to use the software and donít realize itís potential."
The Highlander is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 12:11 PM   #24
diehardbiker
Registered User
 
diehardbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: KKnabis's House
Posts: 15,009
Likes: 49
Liked 65 Times in 54 Posts
Yup, we are not in accident free society. One accident, anyone in that area.... Well you know what I'm talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Highlander View Post
Once nuclear fuel cell got leak then you got short life like probably few hours to few hours.
__________________
J-MAC's quote: "People who try and fail are more superior than people who don't try at all"

"If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as the souls who live under tyranny."
Thomas Jefferson (1778)

NY Governor Andrew Cuomo MUST go! We, the New Yorker had ENOUGH of Cuomo's BS!
diehardbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 12:18 PM   #25
sequoias
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 22,254
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Model S Features | Tesla Motors

Already have a 4 door sedan but it's not cheap. It's about $50,000-60,000.
sequoias is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 01:36 PM   #26
deafsmogtech
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Surf City
Posts: 2,017
Likes: 5
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hey, How about EMF (Electromagnetic Fields)? Health Risks? What do you guys think?
deafsmogtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 01:46 PM   #27
diehardbiker
Registered User
 
diehardbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: KKnabis's House
Posts: 15,009
Likes: 49
Liked 65 Times in 54 Posts
Really don't know, we are living in the world full of magnet. Earth has huge magnet of its own, and we live right on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deafsmogtech View Post
Hey, How about EMF (Electromagnetic Fields)? Health Risks? What do you guys think?
__________________
J-MAC's quote: "People who try and fail are more superior than people who don't try at all"

"If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as the souls who live under tyranny."
Thomas Jefferson (1778)

NY Governor Andrew Cuomo MUST go! We, the New Yorker had ENOUGH of Cuomo's BS!
diehardbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 04:43 PM   #28
Evo Dragon
Registered User
 
Evo Dragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,108
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First electric car was 1996 Saturn EVI only 1,117 cars.
1997 only 660 cars,
1998 only 457 until no longer build Saturn EVI.

Chevy Volt reborn.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_EV1

__________________
Evo Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 04:54 PM   #29
Evo Dragon
Registered User
 
Evo Dragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,108
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Louder and Funnier: Electric Cars of the 1800's

1800's


__________________
Evo Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 05:05 PM   #30
Jiro
If You Know What I Mean
 
Jiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Soprano State
Posts: 67,705
Likes: 15
Liked 121 Times in 86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardbiker View Post
It might be sounding sense BUT don't you realize the true cost of replacing the batteries?

The sales of Hybrid cars has decline a bit already and may go down.

Comparing to regular car and hybrid car when it comes to major and expensive components.

Regular cars, has only two major components Engine and transmission. The rest is not expensive to replace.

Hybrid cars has 4 major components Engine, Transmission, energy reclaiming (Brake), and batteries.

Just think this way, all of the components will fail at some point and need to replace. Just think this way, Hybrid cars may save say 3 or 4 thousands dollars on gas over 8 years, and the replacement of batteries usually around 8 years and it cost easily $5,000 dollars. How is it possible a sensible to get Hybrid Oh wait! there is three other major components that could go wrong. There is no real savings in Hybrid cars anyway.

The only exception for electric cars is that I supported fuel cell, why? Simple, it got two major components. That is Motor and Fuel cell, and Hydrogen is renewable and plenty in the world.

Read on this one Behind the Hidden Costs of Hybrids | Hybrid Cars
it's $5,000 now and probably cheaper in 8 years.
__________________
- Don't forget to buy Jiro's Special Edition Sunglasses for $19.95
Jiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:44 PM.


Join AllDeaf on Facebook!    Follow us on Twitter!

AllDeaf proudly supports St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Copyright © 2002-2014, AllDeaf.com. All Rights Reserved.