All about electric cars!

Already ruined the purpose of electric car, why not just regular gasoline car because generators uses gas anyway.

Not permanently, just when the power goes down, which should be rare anyway. You'd need a generator for your house anyway. (Or should, if you don't want to go into a panic every time there's a power outage in the middle of winter.)

If you don't need to go anywhere, don't use the generator. But if you do need to charge up and there's no power, pull out the generator.

99.99% of the time, you won't need or use the generator, but it's a back up... just in case.

Just recently announced....Honda is going to lease 1,100 electric Honda Fit in 2012 and Toyota will also have electric version of RAV4...so far both of those makers don't have a special version of electric car instead of existing body style from a gasoline powered car. Maybe sometime in 2013?

Leasing a electric is a very bad idea because they can take away the car anytime they want to like GM did with the EV-1. Few people never returned their EV-1 and stayed on private property or snuck out. I think GM is evil.

I may be a purist in this area but I loathe...LOATHE all of the new cars electric or not. I miss the cars you could work on yourself when it was just an engine and nothing was controlled by a measly computer chip and you didn't have to get " software" upgrades.

Every winter? LOL that is just in history book. Last time I had power outrage was that "The great North Easter power outrage"... when was that?

Seriously, it would be like once every 5 years. That is a rare!

I had my own generator that is now about 25 years old. It needs service, I think it has to do with carb, potential missing part. Im going to send to somebody to figure out this one. It WORKS still, tested last week.

Not permanently, just when the power goes down, which should be rare anyway. You'd need a generator for your house anyway. (Or should, if you don't want to go into a panic every time there's a power outage in the middle of winter.)

If you don't need to go anywhere, don't use the generator. But if you do need to charge up and there's no power, pull out the generator.

99.99% of the time, you won't need or use the generator, but it's a back up... just in case.

You can power a home for up to 2 days with a Nissan Leaf with the fully charged battery pack. It even will run the electricity guzzling appliances like the stove, refrigerator, etc at the same time. That's why the battery pack is so powerful to drive a 108 hp electric motor for up to around 70-100 miles. A 108 hp electric motor needs lot of electricity like at factories that have more powerful electric motors to drive the machines hardwired to 240-480 volt power line.

Every winter? LOL that is just in history book. Last time I had power outrage was that "The great North Easter power outrage"... when was that?

Seriously, it would be like once every 5 years. That is a rare!

I had my own generator that is now about 25 years old. It needs service, I think it has to do with carb, potential missing part. Im going to send to somebody to figure out this one. It WORKS still, tested last week.

Right, it's rare. That's my point.

So using a generator to charge up an electric car, very rarely, would not be a big deal and would not "defeat the purpose of an electric vehicle". Even with the rare use of a generator, gas consumption would be way, way down. Which is the whole point to switching to electric.

electric-history.jpg

The museum Autovision in Germany worked for one year to accurately recreate the Ayrton & Perry electric tricycle—the world's oldest electric vehicle. The replica of the 1881 EV matches the specs of the original: hitting a top speed of about nine miles per hour and boasting a range of approximately 25 miles.

Big difference with today's electric cars vs the ones in the late 1800's.

You need to think outside of the box. Right now the power infrastructure load capacity is at least 90%, adding electric cars fleet only increase the loads on existing infrastructure and it will be on a time bomb. Adding more power plant is needed but none of them are being build at this time. It is all due to what? Plenty green paper with dead US presidents. In other word, we really don't have enough power to deal with additional electric cars, PLUS the production cost of electric cars is now around $150K each, are you willing to pay for it? Even though there is advertisement selling for 40K each, how many people are willing to go this way? I don't think there is enough but again there is not enough power feed from existing aging power plants.

That is why I have very high doubt on viability on electric cars.

Who are you talking to?

Wirelessly posted (sent from a smartphone. )

diehardbiker said:
You need to think outside of the box. Right now the power infrastructure load capacity is at least 90%, adding electric cars fleet only increase the loads on existing infrastructure and it will be on a time bomb. Adding more power plant is needed but none of them are being build at this time. It is all due to what? Plenty green paper with dead US presidents. In other word, we really don't have enough power to deal with additional electric cars, PLUS the production cost of electric cars is now around $150K each, are you willing to pay for it? Even though there is advertisement selling for 40K each, how many people are willing to go this way? I don't think there is enough but again there is not enough power feed from existing aging power plants.

That is why I have very high doubt on viability on electric cars.

Who are you talking to?

Are ya forgetting that overnight electeicity demand is low and the cost is less because most businesses are closed. Most electricity is from homes or nyc that never sleeps.

Nope I don't forget em. It is the way I am seeing it and understood how these works. I do not see how they can achieve with just electricity. No way it is going to happen overnight, or next 25 years. Why? It has been tried several times in the past without any success. In other word, trying to do same thing with result that has not changed. It is called insanity, trying to do same thing and expecting different result which will likely not going to happen. Also, remember we are living in 24 hours society. What that means is that there are sizeable amount of people working overnight, they MIGHT have to plug in power to electricity cars during daytime and this is going to kill our electricity infrastructure ANYWAY. Also, there are bunch of people that might forget plug in overnight and in morning plug it in and it is going to add to load anyway. There is no "Win" situation here.

Hey by the way, I found December 1980 edition playboy magazine on other day recently and we had fun with my friends whose born in 80's. It has nothing to do with nudity even though it is there. Point here is we noticed alot of advertisement claiming cars going at 47MPG highways. My friends couldn't believe them and said this is full of BS. There is also alternative energy used for transportation and it never materialized. I then said, that is what I am talking about. It is all TALK that is it, the reality is not there and the idea of big changes and energy efficient has not materialized. Its same old cycle with false hopes.

The only hope I see is fuel cell, and it has its advantages. The only problem is keeping them from freezing in Northern USA, and pressure in fuel tank (5 ton per Sq inch to ten ton per sq inch) which pose dangerous situation if get in collision. Don't you know that you could produce Hydrogen though several energy avenues, like using solar energy in desert which produces enormous amout of Hydrogen easily and it is 100% renewable. Plus image that, instead of using generator, one can use Fuel cell vehicle to power the house in event of power outrage and it is far safer than using generator (Carbon monoxide, where fuel cell don't produce at all). If my calculation is indeed correct, fuel cell vehicle CAN power at least 10 homes in event of power outrages.

Finally, if I have plenty of cash on hand, I would invest in Hydrogen fuel cell vehicle instead of any other form of energy.

Wirelessly posted (sent from a smartphone. )

Are ya forgetting that overnight electeicity demand is low and the cost is less because most businesses are closed. Most electricity is from homes or nyc that never sleeps.

So, you want everything solved before anyone moves forward?

My dream, is to have an all electric (plug in) car plus have a small trailer with a gasoline engine for the really long trips. I just need to get about 8 to 10 hours of constant driving. Also would be nice if Motels/Hotels/restaurants provide a place for a high powered charge up station. But every day driving I just need 3 or 4 hours of drive time.

in about a decade or so, a 10 minute charging system will be available and plus possible battery switching system for some electric cars.

So far more than 5,000 Nissan Leafs have been sold since its launch in winter 2010-11. It hit the 5,000 mark in August 2011.

Back