AllDeaf.com
Mobile - Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Deaf Community > Our World, Our Culture
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-24-2010, 08:23 AM   #1
katz4life
Registered User
 
katz4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Queen City
Posts: 1,590
Send a message via AIM to katz4life
Hostile society of the hearing people

Do you think that hearing people are less hostile to other hearing people who are blind or wheelchair-bound than deaf?

I feel that way a lot lately.
katz4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on AllDeaf.com
   
Unread 10-24-2010, 08:28 AM   #2
SimonJ
Registered User
 
SimonJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Perth, WA
Posts: 783
Send a message via Yahoo to SimonJ Send a message via Skype™ to SimonJ
Yes, I think deaf people appear normal and are in some ways thought of as frauds. Why can't you me? Are you stupid? It annoys me to the point I will walk away first.
SimonJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 10:06 AM   #3
GrendelQ
4117′00″N 7004′58″W
 
GrendelQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New England, USA
Posts: 3,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by katz4life View Post
Do you think that hearing people are less hostile to other hearing people who are blind or wheelchair-bound than deaf?

I feel that way a lot lately.
First tell me which you are, so I know whether to tell you to take a flying leap or answer you nicely.
GrendelQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 10:13 AM   #4
DDU
Registered User
 
DDU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: north east
Posts: 804
flying

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrendelQ View Post
First tell me which you are, so I know whether to tell you to take a flying leap or answer you nicely.
tell her to take a flying leap. since she is deaf she will fail
__________________
when in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!
DDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 10:15 AM   #5
DDU
Registered User
 
DDU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: north east
Posts: 804
all or none

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonJ View Post
Yes, I think deaf people appear normal and are in some ways thought of as frauds. Why can't you me? Are you stupid? It annoys me to the point I will walk away first.
can't call all hearing people the same. but there are hearing people that are like that.
__________________
when in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!
DDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 10:26 AM   #6
shel90
Audist are not welcome
 
shel90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: A place where crabs are popular
Posts: 43,528
Blog Entries: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrendelQ View Post
First tell me which you are, so I know whether to tell you to take a flying leap or answer you nicely.
Why would you want to tell her to take a flying leap? She is entitled to her feelings based on her experiences.
__________________
"Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it."

--- Anonymous
shel90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 10:30 AM   #7
BecLak
Registered User
 
BecLak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,265
I think hearing people as a whole feel uncomfortable around D/deaf people because being able to hear is something that they cannot minutely begin to comprehend how they can live without. People are generally afraid of things they don't understand and, more often than not, react in a way that is not favourable. I know that there are some hearing people who genuinely do their best to understand, but this is not the majority.
BecLak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 10:31 AM   #8
Speedy Hawk
Registered User
 
Speedy Hawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: England
Posts: 816
Some hearing are nasty to Deaf but are kind towards wheelchair people etc. Some hearing are nice to Deaf. It depends on the person.

I noticed that when I was growing up, girls was far more nasty and judgmental than boys was and boys was far more accepting with Deaf. Not all girls was like that, some was. All the bullies I had came from the girls, none of them came from the boys. Strange.
Speedy Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 10:35 AM   #9
Beowulf
Premium Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 11,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrendelQ View Post
First tell me which you are, so I know whether to tell you to take a flying leap or answer you nicely.
*sharpening sword*
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 11:10 AM   #10
GrendelQ
4117′00″N 7004′58″W
 
GrendelQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New England, USA
Posts: 3,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by shel90 View Post
Why would you want to tell her to take a flying leap? She is entitled to her feelings based on her experiences.
I didn't. I was jokingly answering her based on the question made in initial post.
GrendelQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 11:13 AM   #11
Beowulf
Premium Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 11,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrendelQ View Post
I didn't. I was jokingly answering her based on the question made in initial post.
I was joking, too, but my sword remains sharp.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 11:13 AM   #12
GrendelQ
4117′00″N 7004′58″W
 
GrendelQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New England, USA
Posts: 3,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by BecLak View Post
I think hearing people as a whole feel uncomfortable around D/deaf people because being able to hear is something that they cannot minutely begin to comprehend how they can live without. People are generally afraid of things they don't understand and, more often than not, react in a way that is not favourable. I know that there are some hearing people who genuinely do their best to understand, but this is not the majority.
It's true. My daughter makes me extremely uncomfortable and I'm generally very hostile towards her, vs. the kindness I felt towards my grandmother, who was blind.
GrendelQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 11:13 AM   #13
GrendelQ
4117′00″N 7004′58″W
 
GrendelQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New England, USA
Posts: 3,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
I was joking, too, but my sword remains sharp.
I'm acutely aware of that
GrendelQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 11:14 AM   #14
shel90
Audist are not welcome
 
shel90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: A place where crabs are popular
Posts: 43,528
Blog Entries: 3
I guess the joke is lost on me. Glad you are all joking.
__________________
"Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it."

--- Anonymous
shel90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 11:15 AM   #15
Bottesini
Your Name Here!
 
Bottesini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: HFA
Posts: 40,830
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by shel90 View Post
I guess the joke is lost on me. Glad you are all joking.
Wasn't Grendel's point that you should accept everybody?? Seems easy to me.
__________________
Hello Hulk!
Bottesini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 11:18 AM   #16
ExR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 210
I think this question would be near impossible for anyone to realistically answer unless they're commonly around blind or wheelchair bound people.
ExR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 11:25 AM   #17
GrendelQ
4117′00″N 7004′58″W
 
GrendelQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New England, USA
Posts: 3,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by shel90 View Post
I guess the joke is lost on me. Glad you are all joking.
Shel, the OP is deaf, right? I knew that (sig, previous posts, etc.). By joking about potential responding with hostility -- based only upon whether the poster was deaf or hearing -- I was giving a self-mocking example of the type of behavior the poster was asking about. And, hopefully, showing how unlikely that would be. I was not seriously waiting to find out whether the poster is deaf, so I could then seriously respond with hostility.
GrendelQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 11:40 AM   #18
Frisky Feline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 24,926
Recently I had two rude hearing people and i kept smiling at them.
Frisky Feline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 11:43 AM   #19
Bottesini
Your Name Here!
 
Bottesini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: HFA
Posts: 40,830
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisky Feline View Post
Recently I had two rude hearing people and i kept smiling at them.
Recently I had two deaf people picking on me for not being deaf enough, and I just kept signing "stop, please stop" with a sad look, and just kept shrinking until I was almost non-existant.
__________________
Hello Hulk!
Bottesini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 11:49 AM   #20
Frisky Feline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 24,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottesini View Post
Recently I had two deaf people picking on me for not being deaf enough, and I just kept signing "stop, please stop" with a sad look, and just kept shrinking until I was almost non-existant.
Those deaf people who picked on you must have issues with their mentals. They should not have done to you for no reasons.
Frisky Feline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 11:51 AM   #21
Bottesini
Your Name Here!
 
Bottesini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: HFA
Posts: 40,830
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisky Feline View Post
Those deaf people who picked on you must have issues with their mentals. They should not have done to you for no reasons.
I know it , and people are usually nicer, that is not that common an occurance.
Just your post reminded me of it. Oh, well. The world isn't perfect yet.
__________________
Hello Hulk!
Bottesini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 12:00 PM   #22
deafgal001
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Hawk View Post
Some hearing are nasty to Deaf but are kind towards wheelchair people etc. Some hearing are nice to Deaf. It depends on the person.

I noticed that when I was growing up, girls was far more nasty and judgmental than boys was and boys was far more accepting with Deaf. Not all girls was like that, some was. All the bullies I had came from the girls, none of them came from the boys. Strange.
I find that the equal amount.
deafgal001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 12:04 PM   #23
deafgal001
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottesini View Post
Recently I had two deaf people picking on me for not being deaf enough, and I just kept signing "stop, please stop" with a sad look, and just kept shrinking until I was almost non-existant.
They are just as bad. I already knew deaf people are capable doing that as hearing people. a deaf person (I believe it was Ridor) once told hearing people that if they are allowed to sprew out hateful things then he is too. And deaf people are not sweet and innocent and dumb as hearing people like them to be.

Last edited by deafgal001; 10-24-2010 at 05:04 PM.
deafgal001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 12:06 PM   #24
GrendelQ
4117′00″N 7004′58″W
 
GrendelQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New England, USA
Posts: 3,419
There are far too many rude people in the world. No excuse for it. I suspect that you'll encounter far more rude hearing people than deaf simply by virtue of there being a far larger population of hearing in the world. But I don't think there's a correlation between db loss and kindness. My kid is pretty sweet, though.
GrendelQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 12:07 PM   #25
GrendelQ
4117′00″N 7004′58″W
 
GrendelQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New England, USA
Posts: 3,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottesini View Post
I know it , and people are usually nicer, that is not that common an occurance.
Just your post reminded me of it. Oh, well. The world isn't perfect yet.
not good. But let's work on fixing that!
GrendelQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 12:12 PM   #26
KarissaMann05
Premium Member
 
KarissaMann05's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Salem, Oregon
Posts: 6,737
Send a message via AIM to KarissaMann05 Send a message via MSN to KarissaMann05 Send a message via Yahoo to KarissaMann05 Send a message via Skype™ to KarissaMann05
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisky Feline View Post
Recently I had two rude hearing people and i kept smiling at them.
Yeah. Last month, in a mall, I talked kind of okay but a few strangers suggested me to drop ASL.

Bah. Of course, I told them off that it is my choice.
__________________

(Clickable Stamp)

Vampire is so overrated!
Let's swim with merfolks for some fun!

Psst, I do love cougars. *runs away*
KarissaMann05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 12:18 PM   #27
Frisky Feline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 24,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarissaMann05 View Post
Yeah. Last month, in a mall, I talked kind of okay but a few strangers suggested me to drop ASL.

Bah. Of course, I told them off that it is my choice.
wow. the lady got pissy when i signed it and showed the note to her through the window that I wanted to buy the ticket for train. At first, She refuses to do something or make efforts or looking at the note. She kept shaking her head at me. Needless to say that I had to act a friendly and smile, and signed again and showed her the note. :rme: oh boy, She wasn't a happy camper.
Frisky Feline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 12:22 PM   #28
KarissaMann05
Premium Member
 
KarissaMann05's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Salem, Oregon
Posts: 6,737
Send a message via AIM to KarissaMann05 Send a message via MSN to KarissaMann05 Send a message via Yahoo to KarissaMann05 Send a message via Skype™ to KarissaMann05
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisky Feline View Post
wow. the lady got pissy when i signed it and showed the note to her through the window that I wanted to buy the ticket for train. At first, She refuses to do something or make efforts or looking at the note. She kept shaking her head at me. Needless to say that I had to act a friendly and smile, and signed again and showed her the note. :rme: oh boy, She wasn't a happy camper.
Your story reminds me of someone refused to take an order from 'small' woman at mini market. Oh yay...
__________________

(Clickable Stamp)

Vampire is so overrated!
Let's swim with merfolks for some fun!

Psst, I do love cougars. *runs away*
KarissaMann05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 12:41 PM   #29
Speedy Hawk
Registered User
 
Speedy Hawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: England
Posts: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisky Feline View Post
wow. the lady got pissy when i signed it and showed the note to her through the window that I wanted to buy the ticket for train. At first, She refuses to do something or make efforts or looking at the note. She kept shaking her head at me. Needless to say that I had to act a friendly and smile, and signed again and showed her the note. :rme: oh boy, She wasn't a happy camper.
I had similar thing happened to me once when I was trying to get ticket for train to London. I wrote down I want returns tickets to London, I was polite in paper in case some people get annoyed easily. I said "Can I have returns tickets to London please? Thanks". This man refused to look at it and I keep pointing at it and queue was getting longer behind me and lucky man eventually looked at it in end!!
Speedy Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 12:54 PM   #30
naisho
Forum Disorders M.D.,Ph.D
 
naisho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: 127.0.0.1
Posts: 6,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisky Feline View Post
wow. the lady got pissy when i signed it and showed the note to her through the window that I wanted to buy the ticket for train. At first, She refuses to do something or make efforts or looking at the note. She kept shaking her head at me. Needless to say that I had to act a friendly and smile, and signed again and showed her the note. :rme: oh boy, She wasn't a happy camper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Hawk View Post
I had similar thing happened to me once when I was trying to get ticket for train to London. I wrote down I want returns tickets to London, I was polite in paper in case some people get annoyed easily. I said "Can I have returns tickets to London please? Thanks". This man refused to look at it and I keep pointing at it and queue was getting longer behind me and lucky man eventually looked at it in end!!


There are just people like that out there. The ones who believe "In America, please speak english only" to immigrants and signers. They are just the hard headed ones. Not much you can do than move on unless you wanna convert them.
naisho is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:26 AM.


Join AllDeaf on Facebook!    Follow us on Twitter!

AllDeaf proudly supports St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Copyright © 2002-2014, AllDeaf.com. All Rights Reserved.