Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Miscellaneous > Auto Talk
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Advertisement
Advertisement
Unread 07-02-2010, 04:59 PM   #1
AndyE9503

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
4 wheel drive problems

Ok I have a 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee that is giving me some problems. Every time I use the 4 wheel drive it gets stuck and won't come out and go back into 2 wheel drive. It will pop out after driving with the gear lever in 2 wheel drive for a while. Anyone else have this happen to them? If so how did you get it fixed?

AndyE9503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2010, 05:03 PM   #2
diehardbiker

Liked 66 Times in 55 Posts
Try make sharp circles. I have similiar problems, and because of its age, I don't bother get it fixed. Its not a big deal because I don't throw in 4x4 often.

"If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as the souls who live under tyranny."
Thomas Jefferson (1778)

NY Governor Andrew Cuomo MUST go! We, the New Yorker had ENOUGH of Cuomo's BS!
diehardbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2010, 05:39 PM   #3
The Highlander

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyE9503 View Post
Ok I have a 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee that is giving me some problems. Every time I use the 4 wheel drive it gets stuck and won't come out and go back into 2 wheel drive. It will pop out after driving with the gear lever in 2 wheel drive for a while. Anyone else have this happen to them? If so how did you get it fixed?
Sound likes your transfer case need to rebuild.

Good thing I pick AWD over 4x4 for less problem.
Unread 07-02-2010, 05:40 PM   #4
naisho
Forum Disorders M.D.,Ph.D

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This might be simple but.. you check if the 4x4 fuse is blown?
naisho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2010, 05:51 PM   #5
ncff07
Resident Punk Ass

Liked 115 Times in 85 Posts
Vacuum lines?
Unread 07-02-2010, 06:07 PM   #6
Jiro
If You Know What I Mean

Liked 127 Times in 90 Posts
message from someone who disgusts me because you most likely have the same jeep that he has. transfer case - all manual.

Quote:
transfer case. I'd suggest to lubricate it. the linkages. and replace transfer case fluid. either that or back it up a few feet and see if it shifts into 2wd easier. I wouldn't do the sharp curves. that is very bad on the front axle.
Unread 07-02-2010, 06:29 PM   #7
diehardbiker

Older Jeep does not engage 4x4 by electrical, it is done either by mechanical or vaccum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by naisho View Post
This might be simple but.. you check if the 4x4 fuse is blown?

"If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as the souls who live under tyranny."
Thomas Jefferson (1778)

Unread 07-02-2010, 06:30 PM   #8
diehardbiker

mechanical, yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
message from someone who disgusts me because you most likely have the same jeep that he has. transfer case - all manual.

Thomas Jefferson (1778)

Unread 07-02-2010, 06:48 PM   #9
AndyE9503

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Highlander View Post
Sound likes your transfer case need to rebuild.

Good thing I pick AWD over 4x4 for less problem.
Mine is 4x4, AWD and 2 wheel. I hope I don't have to rebuild it. Not enough money in the bank account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
I will have to start here just cause it looks the cheapest

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardbiker View Post
Try make sharp circles. I have similiar problems, and because of its age, I don't bother get it fixed. Its not a big deal because I don't throw in 4x4 often.
I don't use the 4x4 much either, but with me moving to Rochester NY next year I want it working for the snow
Unread 07-02-2010, 06:53 PM   #10
diehardbiker

Oh moving in my neighborhood? makes sense.

I know sharp turns is bad, that is worse if doing it often. If it does not happen often then no big deal.

Curious why moving up here? RIT?

Quote:
I don't use the 4x4 much either, but with me moving to Rochester NY next year I want it working for the snow

Thomas Jefferson (1778)

Unread 07-02-2010, 07:00 PM   #11
AndyE9503

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Oh moving in my neighborhood? makes sense.

I know sharp turns is bad, that is worse if doing it often. If it does not happen often then no big deal.

Curious why moving up here? RIT?
Yep. I was in town last sunday and monday to check out the school. Looks like an area I can get into. I saw lots of people with kayaks on their cars, plenty of bike paths and a lot of fishing areas to check out.
Unread 07-02-2010, 07:19 PM   #12
diehardbiker

Yup! Plus ski resorts nearby, and other activities too.

Quote:
Yep. I was in town last sunday and monday to check out the school. Looks like an area I can get into. I saw lots of people with kayaks on their cars, plenty of bike paths and a lot of fishing areas to check out.

Thomas Jefferson (1778)

Unread 07-02-2010, 10:23 PM   #13
The Highlander

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Mine is 4x4, AWD and 2 wheel. I hope I don't have to rebuild it. Not enough money in the bank account
I rebuilt the electrical transfer case and mechanical transfer case before and both are almost same policy but lever and electric for switch. They are pretty easy than manual transmission. They are not really expensive for part.

How many miles you have on your Jeep?

4x4 (4WD) and AWD are different types. AWD comes direct from transmission. AWD is much more fuel-efficient, requires less maintenance work, and has higher performance than vehicles with 4WD. Most AWD vehicles are around 25MPG and most 4WD vehicles are only 15 MPG.

My Subaru always full-time AWD for 9 years or 130k miles and no problem with AWD system and perfect for bad weather but no pull/push (I won't recommend for that.)

4WD has high torque that would be good for pulling heavy objects such as construction, farming, and driving through rocky terrain. 4WDs have high torque that can pull heavy trailers and use snow plows but high maintenance work for it will easily break down.
Unread 07-02-2010, 10:29 PM   #14
Glenn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
I rebuilt the electrical transfer case and mechanical transfer case before and both are almost same policy but lever and electric for switch. They are pretty easy than manual transmission. They are not really expensive for part.

4x4 (4WD) and AWD are different types. AWD comes direct from transmission. AWD is much more fuel-efficient, requires less maintenance work, and has higher performance than vehicles with 4WD. Most AWD vehicles are around 25MPG and most 4WD vehicles are only 15 MPG.

My Subaru always full-time AWD for 9 years or 130k miles and no problem with AWD system and perfect for bad weather but no pull/push (I won't recommend for that.)

4WD has high torque that would be good for pulling heavy objects such as construction, farming, and driving through rocky terrain. 4WDs have high torque that can pull heavy trailers and use snow plows but high maintenance work for it will easily break down.
Are you helping the OP or just talking about your opinions on 4x4 and AWD?
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2010, 10:36 PM   #15
The Highlander

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
Are you helping the OP or just talking about your opinions on 4x4 and AWD?
OP? I just want to help him and I want him to be understand what's different between AWD and 4x4 since he think he have AWD and 2x2.
Unread 07-02-2010, 10:57 PM   #16
AndyE9503

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:

I got 157,000 miles on it. Oil changes and basic tune-ups are the limits of my mechanical skills. If you know were I can get instructions on how to rebuild I will check it out and see if I think I can do it

My explaination may be too simple. I have 2WD, 4 part time, 4 all time and 4L. A buddy of mine told me 4 all time works like AWD
Unread 07-02-2010, 11:04 PM   #17
ncff07
Resident Punk Ass

Liked 115 Times in 85 Posts
If youve never gotten into something like that before I wouldnt tear into it without someone who has.
Unread 07-03-2010, 12:06 AM   #18
The Highlander

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
I got 157,000 miles on it. Oil changes and basic tune-ups are the limits of my mechanical skills. If you know were I can get instructions on how to rebuild I will check it out and see if I think I can do it

My explaination may be too simple. I have 2WD, 4 part time, 4 all time and 4L. A buddy of mine told me 4 all time works like AWD
First, We need to diagnose what's exactly problem with it.

Try this.
AutoMD - Your Auto Repair Advisors

I learned that from class and it's free. I never tried it before. I use alldata.com.
Unread 07-03-2010, 02:17 AM   #19
naisho
Forum Disorders M.D.,Ph.D

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Older Jeep does not engage 4x4 by electrical, it is done either by mechanical or vaccum.
Oh cool, thanks for info.
naisho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2010, 09:48 AM   #20
deafsmogtech

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hi, Andy, Try Transfer Case Service, see Jiro' post #6.
Did you see any red ATF leaks from a transfer case? If so, check oil level in a transfer case and also take a look at the shifting linkages if you can.
If everything ok is you might be in trouble with a sick transfer case per Highlander' post#3.
Sorry, I'm no 4X4 expert however I did reseal Jeep's transfer cases few times. The reseal job is to remove the transfer case from transmission, separate the transfer case halves, clean old RTV sealer and replace shaft seals and apply final fresh RTV sealer on the mating surfaces {halves). I dont clean the gears or shift levers or forks inside the case cuz they use red ATF. Easy money. Hope it will help (read Jiro's post again again)
deafsmogtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2010, 12:28 AM   #21
Jiro
If You Know What I Mean

Liked 127 Times in 90 Posts
another message from The Disgusting Man

Quote:
mind you - use the proper lubricant. WD-40 isn't a lubricant.
Unread 07-04-2010, 01:17 PM   #22
AndyE9503

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replys. But the 4x4 is now the least of my problems. There is a vacumm in the coolant system that is sucking the coolant into the engine. Ugg this Jeep has been one thing after another. I am going to sell it and try to get enough money to buy something else. Now I see why people say to stay away from Grand Cherokees. I'm going to go back to a Wrangler.
Unread 07-04-2010, 01:26 PM   #23
The Highlander

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the replys. But the 4x4 is now the least of my problems. There is a vacumm in the coolant system that is sucking the coolant into the engine. Ugg this Jeep has been one thing after another. I am going to sell it and try to get enough money to buy something else. Now I see why people say to stay away from Grand Cherokees. I'm going to go back to a Wrangler.
I believe you have bad gasket.

Yes, Grand Cherokees have a lot issue from 90's.

Also, Stay away from 4x4 and get a AWD. Someone own Wrangler and their 4x4 have issue.
Unread 07-04-2010, 01:55 PM   #24
AndyE9503

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
I believe you have bad gasket.

Also, Stay away from 4x4 and get a AWD. Someone own Wrangler and their 4x4 have issue.
I use to own a 94 wrangler and I abused the hell out of it. 4 wheeling, jumping, and slamming through snow. It never gave me a problem.

I am going to look at AWD cars first though. I have never owned or driven one so I don't really know what is good or not. Any suggestions on were to start looking. My max money will prolly be around 5 grand.
Unread 07-04-2010, 03:30 PM   #25
The Highlander

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
I use to own a 94 wrangler and I abused the hell out of it. 4 wheeling, jumping, and slamming through snow. It never gave me a problem.

I am going to look at AWD cars first though. I have never owned or driven one so I don't really know what is good or not. Any suggestions on were to start looking. My max money will prolly be around 5 grand.
I did same thing with AWD and no problem so far.

Try cars.com, craigslist, ebay, etc.

Nothing to wrong with Subaru AWD for any models but stay away from 1998-2001 due head gasket issue. Subaru's parts is very cheap than other brand. I dunno about your taste.
Unread 07-04-2010, 08:45 PM   #26
diehardbiker

Including 2000's too, Grand Cherokee isn't as reliable as I was hoping for. I was waiting to see if Chrysler decided to improve Grand Cherokee. The only Jeep that I know is downright reliable is Cherokee (Not Grand Cherokee) and Wranglers. The rest sucks.

Quote:

Thomas Jefferson (1778)

Unread 07-04-2010, 08:48 PM   #27
diehardbiker

Yup, Wrangler were built to take abuses from off road, depending on which version (SE, X, Sport, Sahara, Rubicon). SE, and X may tolerate but not as to degree that Sport and higher can take.

Quote:

Thomas Jefferson (1778)

Unread 07-09-2010, 06:16 AM   #28
posts from hell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To be honest - I have to disagree with many of the things I am reading in this thread.

Grand Cherokees are reliable... They have the same motor the wranglers/cherokees do, so all this talk isn't making sense to me.

So, Andy - if the coolant is in the motor and you're willing to salvage it for cheap, I'll take it off your hands.

One question though, when you check the oil, what color is it? black, brown, normal oil color, or chocolate milk?

Exhaust having some WHITE smoke? Blue smoke?
posts from hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2010, 09:00 AM   #29
The Highlander

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by posts from hell View Post
To be honest - I have to disagree with many of the things I am reading in this thread.

Grand Cherokees are reliable... They have the same motor the wranglers/cherokees do, so all this talk isn't making sense to me.

So, Andy - if the coolant is in the motor and you're willing to salvage it for cheap, I'll take it off your hands.

One question though, when you check the oil, what color is it? black, brown, normal oil color, or chocolate milk?

Exhaust having some WHITE smoke? Blue smoke?
Umm.. Most Grand Cherokees are L5.2 V8 engine and most wranglers are L4.0 I6 engine. How to be same? I never heard of Wrangler have V8 engine from factory.

Grand Cherokees are reliable? Go research again, I seem they have many problems like water pump, cv joint, axle, fuel injector, fuel pump, etc and it was only 70k miles on (98 I think.) from real world.
Unread 07-09-2010, 01:56 PM   #30
posts from hell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Umm.. Most Grand Cherokees are L5.2 V8 engine and most wranglers are L4.0 I6 engine. How to be same? I never heard of Wrangler have V8 engine from factory.

Grand Cherokees are reliable? Go research again, I seem they have many problems like water pump, cv joint, axle, fuel injector, fuel pump, etc and it was only 70k miles on (98 I think.) from real world.
I have extensive experience with grand cherokees. Grew up with them.

The OP has a 1999.. He doesn't have a 5.2l v8.

The 4.0 is used throughout these years. The 4.0 is pretty popular because its an inline 6, and it provides 190-200 horsepower, while the v8 provides 225. The trade off for gas mileage has people leaning towards the i6.
posts from hell is offline   Reply With Quote