4 wheel drive problems

To be honest - I have to disagree with many of the things I am reading in this thread.

Grand Cherokees are reliable... They have the same motor the wranglers/cherokees do, so all this talk isn't making sense to me.

So, Andy - if the coolant is in the motor and you're willing to salvage it for cheap, I'll take it off your hands.

One question though, when you check the oil, what color is it? black, brown, normal oil color, or chocolate milk?

Exhaust having some WHITE smoke? Blue smoke?

How much is cheap? The oil is coming out black. I haven't noticed any smoke.

I wish I had your luck with grand cherokees cause this thing has everything I need out of a vehicle. I think I'm just going to buy a cheap early 90s sports car and a mid 90s Wrangler again.

First: Most of them have the 4.0. Similar transmissions, transfer cases, etc.. Let's not forget the 2.5l motor as well.. :aw:

Second: 1999 and on has the 4.7l v8.

Third: A lot of offroading people swap the 5.2 liter v8 to the wranglers.

I never like 2.5L because it's suck.

First, I told you there is no 5.2 V8 for wranglers from factory. Re-read from my post.

Second, Who care 4.7 or 5.2 and they still not have factory for wranglers

Third, It still not factory. I am sure everyone can swap.

Why can't I said for any years? Jeep is Jeep and dont mean 90's only.

I never like 2.5L because it's suck.

First, I told you there is no 5.2 V8 for wranglers from factory. Re-read from my post.

Second, Who care 4.7 or 5.2 and they still not have factory for wranglers

Third, It still not factory. I am sure everyone can swap.

Why can't I said for any years? Jeep is Jeep and dont mean 90's only.

take it to PM land or http://www.alldeaf.com/auto-talk/77359-4-wheels-thread-about-absolutely-nothing.html

this is not constructive to Andy's thread. He needs solution, not drama.

How much is cheap? The oil is coming out black. I haven't noticed any smoke.

I wish I had your luck with grand cherokees cause this thing has everything I need out of a vehicle. I think I'm just going to buy a cheap early 90s sports car and a mid 90s Wrangler again.

Okay, then the coolant isnt going into your motor. You're fine there.

The oil isn't burning either.

Just saying.

Does it smell sweet when you are driving sometimes? Does it overheat?
If the questions result in yes and yes - open the hood look for EXTRA clean spots on the motor... That is where it is leaking.

I wouldn't sell it Andy youll never get what youve got into it back out of it. Maybe just get something else and keep it to tinker with, like highlander said sounds like a gasket. Head gasket maybe? If you keep it you could use it as a beater and have some fun with it and not worry about messing up your daily driver and mess around with working on it to get some experience with stuff youve never done so youll know how if you needed to do similar to your main car/truck.

Do you have any idea what would cause the coolant tubes to flatten themselves. When I open the radiator the tubes go back to their original size.

Coolant tubes? Radiator hoses or the hoses going to the heater core? Replace them and see how it does? I've seen new radiator hoses with springs inside to keep them from doing that. could just be the age of yours.

I wouldn't sell it Andy youll never get what youve got into it back out of it. Maybe just get something else and keep it to tinker with, like highlander said sounds like a gasket. Head gasket maybe? If you keep it you could use it as a beater and have some fun with it and not worry about messing up your daily driver and mess around with working on it to get some experience with stuff youve never done so youll know how if you needed to do similar to your main car/truck.

Judging by the responses I have been getting on craigslist I may have to keep it anyway.

Judging by the responses I have been getting on craigslist I may have to keep it anyway.

I wouldnt blame you if you did. Alot of people want to get something for nothing and will low ball you like theres no tommorow.

Andy - you should try and take a pix of it and post it here. make sure image size is big and resolution is good.

Do you have any idea what would cause the coolant tubes to flatten themselves. When I open the radiator the tubes go back to their original size.

Yeah, a leak causing a vacuum in the coolant system.

If its not around the motor, try turning on the heater and see if it blows steam/sweet smell... then the heater core is bad. (cheap-ish fix but lots of labor)

Just need to find where it is leaking. But the good thing it is not leaking into the motor.

Cheaper and easier fix for the heater core is just taking the hoses loose from the heater core itself and plugging the core tubes and then connecting the 2 hoses together. Although that would mean no heat but I dont think that would be a problem this summer lol

GrandCherokee.jpg

GrandCherokeeEngine.jpg

Wish I could head out that way and help ya fix it all up in a jiffy.

That jeep does look good. I usually buy these jeep at auction for $700ish and fix it up to resell..

wow your jeep's looking great. good condition and all. your headlight - CLEAN IT! lol

hope you find your leak!

wow your jeep's looking great. good condition and all. your headlight - CLEAN IT! lol

hope you find your leak!

The headlights bother the hell out of me too. It needs to be replaced cause it will not stay clean for more than a day.

The headlights bother the hell out of me too. It needs to be replaced cause it will not stay clean for more than a day.

Yea, the plastic has faded on the inside.. It's pretty common with all the headlights that use this kind of plastic. Gotta replace :(

That is what I dislike

I just googled heater core. Wow that is a lot of work. Next time I go driving in it I will turn the heater on and see what happens.

Back