Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Relationships > Parenting
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Advertisement
Advertisement
Unread 05-23-2010, 06:13 PM   #1
our lil miracle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exclamation parents - overwhelmed and undereducated

Parents of a new beautiful boy, who recently found out he is hearing impaired. We are looking at sign language now ( he is 4 months old), but which one should we choose.
I do know that it has to be asl approved so it does not confuse him or us. My guestion is simple, which is the best to choose? Looking at all the choices, how do we proceed? We want to learn also, we are going to go with lessons for the entire family soon. Really just looking to get ahead. For his sake. Please any advise. Or suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you and may God bless you and keep you.

Last edited by our lil miracle; 05-23-2010 at 06:28 PM. Reason: new title
our lil miracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2010, 07:08 PM   #2
Bottesini
Old Deaf Ranter

Liked 346 Times in 193 Posts
ASL American sign language. It is your only real choice.
Unread 05-23-2010, 07:17 PM   #3
A
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Baby Sign Language & ASL Baby Signing DVD's. Learn Baby Sign! is a good start since you never been exposed to the deaf culture before.

Clerc's Children : Home is a good website
A is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2010, 07:47 PM   #4
sallylou
Potterhead and Janeite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Congrats on your beautiful baby boy! What an adventure you will have!

You might indicate your location so that people can give you more detailed information. For example, I'm in Texas and I can give you information about resources in my state. If you're in Canada or the UK, people that can help you give you information about that, too.
Unread 05-23-2010, 08:22 PM   #5
our lil miracle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thank you

We live in texas too ( hook em horns). 1st time Blogger. So please excuse any mistakes. What about the signing time dvds and song cds? Are those going to work with his giftings or would another baby signing program work? We purchased, just today, Sign with your baby- sign language asl learning. But have not read it yet.
Unread 05-23-2010, 09:10 PM   #6
sallylou
Potterhead and Janeite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm in Houston. I can tell you about resources here. Where are you? If you're in Austin, there's a large deaf community there.
Unread 05-23-2010, 10:44 PM   #7
WeeBeastie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Signing time is an excellent place to start. Check your local library. they even have a 'baby signing time' series. Baby Einstein also has a signing DVD.

Contact your county human/family/child services department and inquire about early intervention services. If they are less than helpful, you could call your state school for the deaf and they'll point you in the right direction. They may also have a lot of other info available for you.
WeeBeastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2010, 11:54 PM   #8
deafdyke

Liked 20 Times in 12 Posts
Send a message via AIM to deafdyke
Ooooooo....the good news is that Texas is one of the states with a continum of placements Contact Texas School for the Deaf.
Welcome to the Texas School for the Deaf
Yes, it's too soon for school....but they can help you with tracking down local resources.
I would advise you to go with a full toolbox approach. Meaning speech and auditory therapy, (the hard of hearing appraoch) but also ASL.That way your son will have lots of choices and can function both with and without technology. He'll be able to hear and talk, but he'll be able to experiance life without feeling like he's in an eternal speech therapy session. he'll also be able to be comfortable in both the deaf and hearing worlds
Also American Society for DeafChildren:American Society for Deaf Children
and Hands And Voices Hands & Voices
There is a Texas Chapter of Hands and Voices: Welcome !
deafdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2010, 06:36 AM   #9
shel90
Audist are not welcome

Liked 173 Times in 96 Posts
Start with ASL asap and contact the Deaf community for resources. Texas has a great Deaf school in Austin.

--- Anonymous
shel90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2010, 08:52 AM   #10
A
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by our lil miracle View Post
We live in texas too ( hook em horns). 1st time Blogger. So please excuse any mistakes. What about the signing time dvds and song cds? Are those going to work with his giftings or would another baby signing program work? We purchased, just today, Sign with your baby- sign language asl learning. But have not read it yet.
signing time focus on both hearing and deaf. So it is great for the whole family. It have musics so It helped hearing people build up their ASL vocabulary easier. Our hearing son and I learned a few signs from it when it was on PBS.
Unread 05-24-2010, 08:15 PM   #11
our lil miracle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for all your advice, we will look into it all. We truly are grateful for everything and please keep it coming. We have early childhood learning coming to the house, so that's nice. We have started to learn the signs he will use, and showing him, milk, more , and eat. We hope to get in classes and/or order programs for the computer for us as well to get ajump start. He will soon enough be passing us by and learning at an accelerated pase, and leaving us in the dust. Lol. As I said thank you and keep the comments and advice coming, we really need it. And as always May God bless you and keep you.
Unread 05-24-2010, 08:22 PM   #12
faire_jour
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is wonderful that you are learning to sign! I am also the hearing parent of a Deaf child. My daughter's first language is ASL. She is currently also learning spoken language through listening with her cochlear implant.

What kind of loss does your beautiful baby have? Does he have hearing aids yet?

I think Signing Time is the best! Watch for Miss Kat (my daughter) in "Eating Time". She signs SPOON, CUP, and NAPKIN.
faire_jour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2010, 08:37 PM   #13
our lil miracle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by deafdyke View Post
Ooooooo....the good news is that Texas is one of the states with a continum of placements Contact Texas School for the Deaf.
Welcome to the Texas School for the Deaf
Yes, it's too soon for school....but they can help you with tracking down local resources.
I would advise you to go with a full toolbox approach. Meaning speech and auditory therapy, (the hard of hearing appraoch) but also ASL.That way your son will have lots of choices and can function both with and without technology. He'll be able to hear and talk, but he'll be able to experiance life without feeling like he's in an eternal speech therapy session. he'll also be able to be comfortable in both the deaf and hearing worlds
Also American Society for DeafChildren:American Society for Deaf Children
and Hands And Voices Hands & Voices
There is a Texas Chapter of Hands and Voices: Welcome !
Have already bookmarked pages - look foreward to exploring options
Unread 05-24-2010, 08:40 PM   #14
our lil miracle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
very cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faire_jour View Post
It is wonderful that you are learning to sign! I am also the hearing parent of a Deaf child. My daughter's first language is ASL. She is currently also learning spoken language through listening with her cochlear implant.

What kind of loss does your beautiful baby have? Does he have hearing aids yet?

I think Signing Time is the best! Watch for Miss Kat (my daughter) in "Eating Time". She signs SPOON, CUP, and NAPKIN.
We will look foreword to seeing her.
We will buy that soon. One ear is very little activity if any, but the one side is functioning, just do not yet know at what level. We have another Dr. Appt. In couple weeks.

Last edited by our lil miracle; 05-24-2010 at 09:45 PM. Reason: finiah thought
Unread 05-24-2010, 08:46 PM   #15
faire_jour
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
We will look foreword to seeing her. We will buy that soon.
Just borrow it from the library! Start at Volume 1, (I think it's called "My first signs") because the early ones are easier and slower.
faire_jour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2010, 10:06 PM   #16
deafdyke

Well its good news that he has an aidable ear!!!!! That will help him learn speech.
Unread 05-25-2010, 10:51 AM   #17
our lil miracle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafdyke View Post
Well its good news that he has an aidable ear!!!!! That will help him learn speech.
Yes we are happy about that too. We are just so anxious to find out what level, what frequencies, etc. No matter what we are going to press in and learn asl anyway. I think it will be good for all of us.
Unread 05-25-2010, 10:58 AM   #18
our lil miracle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
humming bird

He has over the last few weeks started to hum while falling asleep, and just a few days ago found a scream. Not a mad or hurt, hungry scream. Just a real High pitch yelling, sorta like talking, but really loud. I think its kinda cool, bit not everyone in the house agrees.
Unread 05-25-2010, 11:47 AM   #19
Mrs Bucket

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Congratulations on your beautiful child.

Enjoy each moment with your baby.

I am profoundly Deaf and come from a large Deaf family.

I smiled when I read your wee one loving to hum himself while falling asleep because this is what I do. I hum and I hum as a form of comfort. It's the vibrations that's soothing.

If you have a chance to go to a deaf social setting, focus on the noises. Watch how some deaf people hug each other, they do hum when they hug. It's called "throaty hugs", it's comforting because as babies, parents would hum when rocking or burping.

Babies would rely on vibrations in place of sound. Your wee one has probably picked up on this hum from you and knows it is soothing/comforting. It's very sweet.

The high pitch yelling/talking is natural in our community. We can't hear the pitch pitch or the shriek magnitude. As toddlers, we enjoy the attention we attract with this so you can imagine how much your wee one is enjoying all the attention he's attracting with his vocal box.

If possible, start signing milk when you bottle feed/breastfeed him. He will grasp the concept of feeding.

Sign milk equals feeding/hungry time

Next thing is to introduce Mommy and Daddy.

Mommy and Daddy - you and Daddy ,, baby will know the name sign of his parents.

I truly wish you the best and know you and baby will do just fine in this community.
Mrs Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2010, 11:53 AM   #20
JoeyDeafNinja

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottesini View Post
ASL American sign language. It is your only real choice.
no you are wrong. he have many choices. Such like as JSL, SSL, and diffrent language. Even learn how to speak. I have no problem with that.
Main attraction of this twisted master plan
I will be your deadman
With nothing but this blood on my hands
Stuck in your wonderland
I wanna make you bleed just like me
So make me your deadman
With only poisoning in my veins
Stuck in your wonderland
Stagnated by the passivity
I'm gonna make you bleed like me
JoeyDeafNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2010, 12:30 PM   #21
A
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyDeafNinja View Post
no you are wrong. he have many choices. Such like as JSL, SSL, and diffrent language. Even learn how to speak. I have no problem with that.
OP asked for an "ASL - approved" signing method and Bott was simply replying that ASL is the only choice. And she is right. Other signing method is not ASL approved.
Unread 05-25-2010, 06:20 PM   #22
our lil miracle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
heartwarming news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Bucket View Post
Congratulations on your beautiful child.

Enjoy each moment with your baby.

I am profoundly Deaf and come from a large Deaf family.

I smiled when I read your wee one loving to hum himself while falling asleep because this is what I do. I hum and I hum as a form of comfort. It's the vibrations that's soothing.

If you have a chance to go to a deaf social setting, focus on the noises. Watch how some deaf people hug each other, they do hum when they hug. It's called "throaty hugs", it's comforting because as babies, parents would hum when rocking or burping.

Babies would rely on vibrations in place of sound. Your wee one has probably picked up on this hum from you and knows it is soothing/comforting. It's very sweet.

The high pitch yelling/talking is natural in our community. We can't hear the pitch pitch or the shriek magnitude. As toddlers, we enjoy the attention we attract with this so you can imagine how much your wee one is enjoying all the attention he's attracting with his vocal box.

If possible, start signing milk when you bottle feed/breastfeed him. He will grasp the concept of feeding.

Sign milk equals feeding/hungry time

Next thing is to introduce Mommy and Daddy.

Mommy and Daddy - you and Daddy ,, baby will know the name sign of his parents.

I truly wish you the best and know you and baby will do just fine in this community.

I know for some it would be quite scary to hear that sort of news, that it is a common phenomenon among the deaf community to hum. And I would be lying if I said that I am not a little saddened to hear it though. BUT. I do realize that my baby can sooth himself, that gives me hope. I now know that no matter what he. Can take care of himself. That is for a dad my only mission, to have my boys grow up strong and independent, (then pay me back) LOL. I now see that every night as I hold him and sing, as well as hum, to him that it brings him comfort. But at the same time I hold and rock him, he returns The favor and soothes me also.
Unread 05-25-2010, 07:24 PM   #23
Mrs Bucket

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Quote:
I know for some it would be quite scary to hear that sort of news, that it is a common phenomenon among the deaf community to hum. And I would be lying if I said that I am not a little saddened to hear it though. BUT. I do realize that my baby can sooth himself, that gives me hope. I now know that no matter what he. Can take care of himself. That is for a dad my only mission, to have my boys grow up strong and independent, (then pay me back) LOL. I now see that every night as I hold him and sing, as well as hum, to him that it brings him comfort. But at the same time I hold and rock him, he returns The favor and soothes me also.
You just brought tears to my eyes reading this.

Some parents will grieve their babies' hearing loss and it is quite understandable. I do not blame them at all.

I truly applaud you for your beautiful insight about the Deaf community because you already have an open mind and an open heart about your son's future. You're very honest already and you're accepting of what your son and his traits are. This is so important for all of us- an act from a hearing parent to show caring acceptance.

I thank you humbly.
Mrs Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2010, 07:45 PM   #24
WeeBeastie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A View Post
OP asked for an "ASL - approved" signing method and Bott was simply replying that ASL is the only choice. And she is right. Other signing method is not ASL approved.
I understood the OPs comment to mean they wanted an ASL based system, not a 'babysigns' or home made signing system.

And, no, ASL is not the only choice.
Unread 05-25-2010, 07:56 PM   #25
WeeBeastie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
I wouldn't be too sad about it.

Both of my girls hum. My older daughter is hearing and hums while eating and when concentrating. My younger who is deaf also hums when she's falling asleep and brushing her teeth/hair. Even my husband, who's hearing, hums while he's shaving. The phenomenon is not limited to those with hearing loss and is not indicitive of anything.
Unread 05-25-2010, 08:13 PM   #26
A
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeBeastie View Post
I understood the OPs comment to mean they wanted an ASL based system, not a 'babysigns' or home made signing system.

And, no, ASL is not the only choice.
yes, that's how I took it too. But I was just responding to deafninja. SEE, PSE, CUED, etc. are English based signing system, not ASL-approved
Unread 05-25-2010, 10:20 PM   #27
deafdyke

Quote:
o have my boys grow up strong and independent,
and he WILL with the help of speech therapy and ASL!!!!
Another idea might be to contact the Texas Association of the Deaf and see if they have a Deaf mentor program where a Deaf/CODA adult comes to your house to serve as a native Sign model.I know that Texas is very hoh friendly with their Deaf ed....one of my Texas hoh friends was in a dhh regional program.
Unread 05-28-2010, 10:23 AM   #28
nyyankees154

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to nyyankees154
In all, they going to have to do a lot of research what they want. ASL is the language that the deaf speak, but it lacks the grammar that the hearing world writes and speaks in. Last I was told, there are 9 different sign languages in the states alone(which is one thing I have to explain to everyone I work with about other countries as well). I know ASL, English sign and CUED are the highest on the list. It mostly depends what kind of school they want to send their child too. My wife was upset cause she wanted to go to a public school and learn English sign(her grammar was bad when I met her). My best friend loved the public school, but had to learn ASL before going to college, but she learned grammar before going to college.

In reality, it comes down to how the child can learn the best with. If he a fast learner, then one way might be better then the other. If he takes a while to learn, then another way might be better. It not something that we can go and say, "This is the way to go" or "your better off doing this." It more long the lines, how fast does your child take in info and learn. It best to learn English sign for hearing ppl, cause the grammar in signing is a lot different in ASL then in English Sign. Also, ASL easier to learn as well cause it short to the point, but it is not signed the same way we talk.
nyyankees154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2010, 04:54 PM   #29
shel90
Audist are not welcome

Liked 173 Times in 96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyankees154 View Post
In all, they going to have to do a lot of research what they want. ASL is the language that the deaf speak, but it lacks the grammar that the hearing world writes and speaks in. Last I was told, there are 9 different sign languages in the states alone(which is one thing I have to explain to everyone I work with about other countries as well). I know ASL, English sign and CUED are the highest on the list. It mostly depends what kind of school they want to send their child too. My wife was upset cause she wanted to go to a public school and learn English sign(her grammar was bad when I met her). My best friend loved the public school, but had to learn ASL before going to college, but she learned grammar before going to college.

In reality, it comes down to how the child can learn the best with. If he a fast learner, then one way might be better then the other. If he takes a while to learn, then another way might be better. It not something that we can go and say, "This is the way to go" or "your better off doing this." It more long the lines, how fast does your child take in info and learn. It best to learn English sign for hearing ppl, cause the grammar in signing is a lot different in ASL then in English Sign. Also, ASL easier to learn as well cause it short to the point, but it is not signed the same way we talk.
That is like saying French lacks the grammar that American speaks.

ASL is its own language and it should never be compared to English.

--- Anonymous
shel90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2010, 04:58 PM   #30
Frisky Feline

Liked 191 Times in 112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shel90 View Post
That is like saying French lacks the grammar that American speaks.

ASL is its own language and it should never be compared to English.
Glad you are the good teacher.
Frisky Feline is offline   Reply With Quote