parents - overwhelmed and undereducated

Is it not the correct usage of the word? If they're not languages, what should they be called? :confused:

They are MCEs...manually coded systems..I forgot what the "E" stands for. :lol:

I believe the word A was discussing was "system". I am just a deaf grandmother.

Why you are asking me about "languages" , I have no idea. Obviously yes ASL is a language.

If you are just trying to start a fight with me, I am not Jillio, so you should just try another target.

If you want to discuss semantics, Shel would be a better choice as she is highly educated.

:lol:

Why you are asking me about "languages" , I have no idea. Obviously yes ASL is a language.

If you are just trying to start a fight with me, I am not Jillio, so you should just try another target.

If you want to discuss semantics, Shel would be a better choice as she is highly educated.

I beg forgiveness, but I am highly confused.

I did not ask you about languages. I replied regarding ASL as a language and asked what one might call a communication method that incorporates ASL signs but does not follow the rules of ASL be called. They are not languages in themselves, so I called them systems. ASL itself is not a system. It is a language. I was just trying to clarify.

I am not trying to start a fight with anyone. I am not targeting anyone or anything. Though, I do fail to understand why my use of the term was called in to question.

Also, MCE stands for Manually Coded English - "Manually Coded English (MCE) is a general term used to describe a variety of visual communication methods expressed through the hands which attempt to represent the English language. Unlike deaf sign languages which have evolved naturally in deaf communities, the different forms of MCE were artificially created, and generally follow the grammar of English." Some of these methods are ASL based, in that they use ASL signs. Others are not.

MCE is to ASL as Spanglish is to Spanish.

I never said they were the same thing. I never said one is better than the other, though I do have my personal feelings on the subject.

The fact remains that if you choose some MCEs, you are borrowing your signs from ASL. For example, a person fluent in PSE can use an ASL dictionary.

I never said they were the same thing. I never said one is better than the other, though I do have my personal feelings on the subject.

The fact remains that if you choose some MCEs, you are borrowing your signs from ASL. For example, a person fluent in PSE can use an ASL dictionary.[/QUOTE]

Yes, that's correct.

Yes we are happy about that too. We are just so anxious to find out what level, what frequencies, etc. No matter what we are going to press in and learn asl anyway. I think it will be good for all of us.

Absolutely. It will bring your family closer in ways you can't imagine. I am thrilled to hear that you are going to make learning ASL a family activity. My extended family also learned ASL when we discovered my son was deaf. I can't describe what a benefit that was for my son!

Congratulations on your new baby boy. You are in for a wonderful journey. As the others have said, start as soon as possible. Signing to your child as an infant will give him what he needs to develop language concepts on schedule.

Bott...you are too bad!:lol:

ASL is a language; its mode is visual; its system would be that of visual languages.

MCEs are modes; their language is English, their system is English.

Bott...you are too bad!:lol:

ASL is a language; its mode is visual; its system would be that of visual languages.

MCEs are modes; their language is English, their system is English.

Oh, Hi Jillio!!! :wave:

That is like saying French lacks the grammar that American speaks.

ASL is its own language and it should never be compared to English.

That was what I was saying. I was also pointing out that depending what they want, they need to know that ASL is different then what they speak. It is only the same in the important words they say. Added words that in the speaking part that gives it meaning is different in ASL. While ASL is all about the body language too.

sleepless in texas

Have to start by saying thank you for everything. All the help is great.
Ooh, almost forgot to tell you, my son signed the other day his first word. Milk.. its awsome at 5 months he has the ability to communicate his needs.. now to the topic of discussion for this week.
He is not sleeping but a couple of hours at a time, and wants to nurse (or should I say pacify) all night. He almost acts if he is freightened to be alone ( which is understandable) at night. But my question for those of you have been through this, is there any tips or tricks we can use to help him feel more secure, besides keeping him on the breast all night and in between us.
Also we have noticed he sleeps around 3 hours at a time during the day, but only 1 hour at a time at night. But when I wake and get ready for work, and tend to make a lot of noise and moving about, he sleeps the entire time. Is it vibrations or the noise, that comforts him? And while the other boys are up and active he tends to sleep better also, during the day.

Please any tips or tactics you have found to be useful to help us would be appreciated. I know you have Mrs experience than we do, so thank you and God bless.

Have to start by saying thank you for everything. All the help is great.
Ooh, almost forgot to tell you, my son signed the other day his first word. Milk.. its awsome at 5 months he has the ability to communicate his needs.. now to the topic of discussion for this week.
He is not sleeping but a couple of hours at a time, and wants to nurse (or should I say pacify) all night. He almost acts if he is freightened to be alone ( which is understandable) at night. But my question for those of you have been through this, is there any tips or tricks we can use to help him feel more secure, besides keeping him on the breast all night and in between us.
Also we have noticed he sleeps around 3 hours at a time during the day, but only 1 hour at a time at night. But when I wake and get ready for work, and tend to make a lot of noise and moving about, he sleeps the entire time. Is it vibrations or the noise, that comforts him? And while the other boys are up and active he tends to sleep better also, during the day.

Please any tips or tactics you have found to be useful to help us would be appreciated. I know you have Mrs experience than we do, so thank you and God bless.

Is his room darker at night than during the day? I found that Katie didn't, and still doesn't, like the dark. While my older daughter is comforted by bed time music in the dark, Katie doesn't get that benefit. We noticed a definite improvement in her sleep once we got a bright-but-not-too-bright night light around 9 months.

Though, being 5 months old, you could be a indirect victim of a growth spurt. I poked around on the net a bit and found that the 'sleeping better during the day' pattern is fairly common. I can't honestly remember from when mine were little, but I do remember very little sleep between 4-6 months.

hope that helps!

Our hearing son was a high need child. He never liked being alone. He still don't. Dr. Sears talk alot about that.

Is his room darker at night than during the day? I found that Katie didn't, and still doesn't, like the dark. While my older daughter is comforted by bed time music in the dark, Katie doesn't get that benefit. We noticed a definite improvement in her sleep once we got a bright-but-not-too-bright night light around 9 months.

Though, being 5 months old, you could be a indirect victim of a growth spurt. I poked around on the net a bit and found that the 'sleeping better during the day' pattern is fairly common. I can't honestly remember from when mine were little, but I do remember very little sleep between 4-6 months.

hope that helps!

Good call, WeeBeastie. My son also did not like his room darkened at night because he relied so heavily on his vision. A night light close to his bed solved the problem.

asl

ASL vs. SEE...this is a problem I face. I was taught SEE as a child. the only deaf child in my area. mainstreamed through school with an interpreter. great english skills, but can not communicate with other deaf that use ASL. Which is best????Who knows????

ASL vs. SEE...this is a problem I face. I was taught SEE as a child. the only deaf child in my area. mainstreamed through school with an interpreter. great english skills, but can not communicate with other deaf that use ASL. Which is best????Who knows????

I think what is best will come only from you and the direction you want to take.

Back