AllDeaf.com
Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Deaf Community > Current Events > Deaf News
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Unread 01-23-2010, 09:11 PM   #1
Miss-Delectable

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Deaf infants getting cochlear implants younger than ever

Deaf infants getting cochlear implants younger than ever | Dallas - Fort Worth News | wfaa.com | Health News

Surgically implanted electronic devices called cochlear implants help some 200,000 people hear every year.

The Food and Drug Administration has approved the implants for children as young as 12 months old. However, some doctors are now going outside FDA recommendations, saying earlier can be even better. Doctors are also implanting cochlear implants in both ears at the same instead of doing them one at a time.

"Then the brain is better able to learn to use both ears together for added benefits such as sound localization, better hearing and background noise, things of that nature." said Dr. Bob Peters, an otolaryngologist at Forest Park Medical Center in Dallas.

While implanting a nine-month old with cochlear implants is still rare in the United States, in Europe infants as young as six months old have received the implants. That knowledge helped Kemper and Helen Johnson decide to get bilateral cochlear implants for their profoundly deaf son, who is just nine months old.

"I'm sure he could live a happy life as a deaf person," Mr. Johnson said. "But, any advantage we can give him to hear and to go to normal schools, we wanted to take that opportunity.

Kemper Johnson Jr. was the youngest child to be implanted with a cochlear implant at Forest Park Medical Center.

His parents hope their son will grow up never knowing anything except the gifts of sound.
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 01-24-2010, 09:28 PM   #2
Bebonang

Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts

Gegiibishedjig (Deaf Person)

You speak to me on lip..
I don't speak..
I sign with you..
You gesture..
I can't hear you..
You can hear me..
You can see and I can see..
-Smell, Sense, Taste, Feel and See-
Was born with broken ears..
I was not perfect, but I am used to being happy and Deaf..
Bebonang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2010, 09:38 PM   #3
Juli-terp-to-be

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hate it when the father kept saying 'normal'. His child was born deaf. He was naturally nomal. Abnormal is putting an electronic device in the infant's head to make him hear.
Juli-terp-to-be is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2010, 09:40 PM   #4
shel90
Audist are not welcome

Liked 128 Times in 75 Posts
"I'm sure he could live a happy life as a deaf person," Mr. Johnson said. "But, any advantage we can give him to hear and to go to normal schools, we wanted to take that opportunity.

That is an insult to those who go to deaf schools or are in deaf programs. Sure, they are abnormal.

Stupid asshole.

--- Anonymous
shel90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2010, 09:56 PM   #5
Juli-terp-to-be

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shel90 View Post

That is an insult to those who go to deaf schools or are in deaf programs. Sure, they are abnormal.

Stupid asshole.
Great minds think alike Shel. That was what ticked me off about the father also.
Juli-terp-to-be is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2010, 10:26 PM   #6
rockdrummer

Quote:
That is ignorant.
Unread 01-24-2010, 11:48 PM   #7
Lighthouse77

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What's normal?
Unread 01-25-2010, 02:37 AM   #8
DGirl101

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:

Oh yeah...an asshole through and through. Just like my ex hubby who said I was not normal like everyone else, day after day.
DGirl101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2010, 06:01 AM   #9
Frisky Feline

Liked 115 Times in 78 Posts
they need to be careful using with words "normal" if they say that then things wouldn't go normal what they thought it should be. it could leads to a disappointment. oh well
Frisky Feline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2010, 06:20 AM   #10
Mrs Bucket

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is where cultural sensitivity really comes in.

"normal" -
Quote:
nor⋅mal  [nawr-muhl] Show IPA
Use normal in a Sentence
–adjective
1. conforming to the standard or the common type; usual; not abnormal; regular; natural.
2. serving to establish a standard.
3. Psychology.
a. approximately average in any psychological trait, as intelligence, personality, or emotional adjustment.
b. free from any mental disorder; sane.
4. Biology, Medicine/Medical.
a. free from any infection or other form of disease or malformation, or from experimental therapy or manipulation.
b. of natural occurrence.
The baby was not born normal therefore for the parents to assume a CI will reinstate the state of normalcy for their child is hilarious.
Mrs Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2010, 08:12 AM   #11
Foxrac
FOX

Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Not surprised because hearing parents with no experience about deaf babies would say like that.

I hopefully this baby's CI surgery is going smooth without expose to meningitis.

I noticed that more deaf babies who born in 2000's are receive CI than any babies that born in 1980's and 1990's, even I know some HoH babies got CI instead of try new hearing aids.

Stewie is gun nut, right?
Patriot Guard Riders
Beware of NSA and they are sending manhunt to your home.
Foxrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2010, 05:23 PM   #12
TXgolfer
Dream Weaver

Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebonang View Post
I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juli-terp-to-be View Post
I hate it when the father kept saying 'normal'. His child was born deaf. He was naturally nomal. Abnormal is putting an electronic device in the infant's head to make him hear.

I strongly agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by shel90 View Post

Stupid asshole.
I strongly agree
TXgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2010, 08:13 PM   #13
deafdyke

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Send a message via AIM to deafdyke
It's very sad. Many parents who chose oral only are still grieving. THESE parents are. It's SO freaking obvious that they never knew dhh kids.
deafdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2010, 09:21 PM   #14
Pinky

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's not sad. That's good for baby to hear with CI. You guys shouldn't judge on baby's parent's decide. It's their decide. We can't change them. That's stupid to be pissed off at them. You don't need to debate with me.
Pinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2010, 09:25 PM   #15
LakeTahoe

Location: Lost somewhere in the outer space!! Help me to find my way back home to earth!!
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had to disagreed with that parent because their child was forced to get CI. I rather to let the child make a decision not ours. I also felt that doctor brainwash parent cuz of MOOLA! Asshole doctors who are greedy!
Unread 01-26-2010, 09:25 PM   #16
Lighthouse77

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky View Post
It's not sad. That's good for baby to hear with CI. You guys shouldn't judge on baby's parent's decide. It's their decide. We can't change them. That's stupid to be pissed off at them. You don't need to debate with me.

What is the opposite of normal? and what is this father's view of what normal is? It appears to me that this father judge deaf people and deaf school and making it seem abnormal.
Unread 01-26-2010, 09:28 PM   #17
faire_jour
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is wrong with giving a child the opportunity to hear?

Normal is a bad word to use. Better would have been "neighborhood school". The father is an an asshole, he simply chose a poor word.

And Julie, if you want to be an interpreter, perhaps you should refrain from calling a large part of the Deaf community "abnormal" for their, or their parents choice to give them an implant. It is incredibly offensive.
faire_jour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2010, 09:32 PM   #18
faire_jour
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse77 View Post
What is the opposite of normal? and what is this father's view of what normal is? It appears to me that this father judge deaf people and deaf school and making it seem abnormal.
Going to a deaf school is very far from average. In fact, a very tiny percentage of people ever attend a deaf school, therefore it would be "abnormal" meaning outside the average. Doesn't mean it's bad. Having an IQ of 175 is abnormal, but not bad.
Unread 01-26-2010, 09:35 PM   #19
Lighthouse77

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by faire_jour View Post
Going to a deaf school is very far from average. In fact, a very tiny percentage of people ever attend a deaf school, therefore it would be "abnormal" meaning outside the average. Doesn't mean it's bad. Having an IQ of 175 is abnormal, but not bad.
you know very well what the father mean. Deaf and deaf school is not good enough for him.
Unread 01-26-2010, 09:39 PM   #20
KristinaB
Emotional Mess

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
In my mind, it is reprehensible!! This is an infant we are talking about. What if the child grows up and is upset with parents for doing this to him? What's he to do then? Yeah he could turn them off or whatever you do, but it's still there and it's still major surgery for something that is not considered life-threatening.
Unread 01-26-2010, 09:39 PM   #21
faire_jour
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
you know very well what the father mean. Deaf and deaf school is not good enough for him.
Actually, I have no idea what he was thinking, and neither do you. For all you know, he is profoundly Deaf himself, but made an informed decision based on his life experience.

You (general you) would prefer to crucify him because it makes you (general you) feel better to think that parents are ignorant, stupid, or evil, rather than acknowledge that informed people can make a different choice than you.
Unread 01-26-2010, 09:41 PM   #22
Lighthouse77

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
You (general you) would prefer to crucify him because it makes you (general you) feel better to think that parents are ignorant, stupid, or evil, rather than acknowledge that informed people can make a different choice than you.
true...
Unread 01-26-2010, 09:42 PM   #23
faire_jour
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinaB View Post
In my mind, it is reprehensible!! This is an infant we are talking about. What if the child grows up and is upset with parents for doing this to him? What's he to do then? Yeah he could turn them off or whatever you do, but it's still there and it's still major surgery for something that is not considered life-threatening.
The best chance for a child to learn to use an implant is as soon as possible. If you wait, you choose to make the implant not work. If you want to give your child the opportunity to learn to listen and speak, and do it without delays and struggles, it must be done at a very young age.

What is "reprehensible" about giving a child an opportunity? Opening a door?
Unread 01-26-2010, 09:45 PM   #24
KristinaB
Emotional Mess

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by faire_jour View Post
The best chance for a child to learn to use an implant is as soon as possible. If you wait, you choose to make the implant not work. If you want to give your child the opportunity to learn to listen and speak, and do it without delays and struggles, it must be done at a very young age.

What is "reprehensible" about giving a child an opportunity? Opening a door?
You can give a child the chance to speak and "listen" by whatever mean without MAJOR surgery. Why put a child through that? There are other avenues that have worked time and time again for hundreds of years, there's no reason to subject a child to this.
Unread 01-26-2010, 09:46 PM   #25
Pinky

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:

How can you tell that He judge on deaf people and deaf school???
Unread 01-26-2010, 09:47 PM   #26
Lighthouse77

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If he is deaf and teaching his kid ASL and knows that implant is not a cure, that's all it matter. But if he think it will make his kid "hearing" then he need realize what he is putting his kid into.
Unread 01-26-2010, 09:48 PM   #27
Lighthouse77

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky View Post
How can you tell that He judge on deaf people and deaf school???
you tell us not to judge, but he judging too.
Unread 01-26-2010, 09:49 PM   #28
Pinky

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It remind me of deaf child's dad was member of AD. His sn was DrewsDad. The deaf people criticized on him for forced Drew got CI at age 9 months I think. Now Drew's parents lost interest into AllDeaf because they blamed on them to implanted Drew. Drew has usher syndrome with hearing loss.
Unread 01-26-2010, 09:50 PM   #29
faire_jour
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinaB View Post
You can give a child the chance to speak and "listen" by whatever mean without MAJOR surgery. Why put a child through that? There are other avenues that have worked time and time again for hundreds of years, there's no reason to subject a child to this.
Because research shows that less than 10% of profoundly deaf children and learn to listen and speak with hearing aids. The other 90% need visual language and can not get past "word level" with their aids.

The exact opposite is true for CI's. Close to 90% of young implanted children learn *language* through audition alone. They catch up, or never fall behind, with spoken language.

You are quite wrong. What people have been doing for hundreds of years DOES NOT WORK! Ask anyone here!!
Unread 01-26-2010, 09:51 PM   #30
Pinky

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
you tell us not to judge, but he judging too.
Whatever. I am sorry. I didn't know that Normal is bad word. That is strange to me.