Disciplining the children

Opal

Reaction score
Do you believe in smacking children to teach them a lesson?

I did smack my children, because I believe it so did the BIBLE mention it also.
They are getting bigger now, instead I gave them grounded - eg no outings, no swimming, no pocket money for a week!

No I don't. I dont hit my daughter. Why should you take bible's words? You can do it on your own. There is no point to harm my daughter or children. All I have to displicine them appropriate way. What they did was wrong and we can teach them to do it right way and they can have a chance to grow up better. If you hit hit hit -- they will start to rebel against you or something like that.

I d spank their hands or butt if they did something wrong but I will never hit them NOT even with a belt or anything. I would do time out too. As a child, I was hitted by my mother and yes even with belts and hangers.. didn't do me any good... that's why I rebelled alot also because my mom would not be talk to me about certain things like sex or something like that. My father never did any of those to me.. just spanked my butt with his hands until I was old enough. Ron ( :fu2: ) who is my mom's fiancee'...he would throw me in the bedroom and yell at me or even tear my shirt. He does the same thing to my brother. *Sigh* Now that I moved out.. my relationship with my mom is getting better and she's been helping me alot with things plus she's excited about the baby.

Usually I put them time out on the couch or chair.. or I will take their favorite thing away from them until they learned their lesson.. it works.. I have done some spanking but not as much.. only If i repeatly telling them to stop.. and if they dont listen a couple times then i will spank them.. but not normally do... Most of the time just time out and not be able to go over friends house or play outside or play with the video games...

I was strike on my kids and increase rebel me.. I decide to stop strike on my children ever since stopped using strike(bare my own hands) from 2000.
Another way better displince my kids.. It's works.. My children are bonded and shared talk with me as open communcation.. Sometimes can be lied to me.. I can give my child grounded for lying or whatever depends on how much my child's trouble..

Important sit and talk your child.. til re-solved.. then send a child goes to room for few minutes.. then free to go..

Serouis trouble.. I shall have to give my child grounded for depend reasons.

I don't believe in spanking or disciplining physically..I'd give a time-out then explain what they did wrong. Disciplining physically doesn't work, they can learn to be physical back or rebellious.. so talking to them is a better way and grounding them. I do that to my son, he understands and doesn't do it again.. he knows. But if he did something serious that was not right.. i'd just be firm with him telling him to go to his room or time out on the couch, he can't play or anything. He doesn't like it..then he'd come up to me and say he was sorry.. then I'd explain to him why it was not right and etc..He's done a few things that wasn't right..and now he knows and hasn't done it again since. Talking about it helps.

I don't really like the idea of spanking or slapping kids on their bums or stuff like that, physical. I prefer to try to talk to them as simply as I can to make kids understand what is wrong and right, etc. Sometimes, a smack on the bum is ok, not on a daily basis, of course, use common sense.

RedRum said:
Do you believe in smacking children to teach them a lesson?

I did smack my children, because I believe it so did the BIBLE mention it also.
They are getting bigger now, instead I gave them grounded - eg no outings, no swimming, no pocket money for a week!
Well, the Bible also says that you should not beat your children. Technically, the Bible changed. The Old Testament favored beatings while the New Testament opposes beatings.

well.. i do spank my son's finger... but not too hard.. just gentle.. whatever he tries to touch the plug.. i spank his finger and say "no shock you" or if try to touch stove.. i spank his finger say "no hot"

important not to spank really hard.. just gentle.. that's what i do.. when he gets older i'll ground him like can't play with friends for 3 days or so whatever depends on how bad it is...

no wonder my ma smacked me cuz I smacked the doctor when i was borned :lmao:

I don't spank my kids unless they did something dangerous. For example, running on the street. A tap on the bum scares them enough to realize that it is not safe.

I usually try to talk to my kids and explain things and give them time outs.

Our parents and grandparents got the belt or ruler or whatever method of striking.... and they turned out fine

and look at today's kids they have absoultely no respect for authority figures... no fear nothing because they know they can call the law if they get a mark on their body

whats wrong with the picture?

I'm really netural on this issue of spanking the kids...

Are you sure they are totally fine? Have you interviewed every and each one of them? How do you know they turned out okay emotionally?

My point is we don't know if they actually turned out okay. Maybe they learned how to be quiet in fear they would get beat up. That is how they learn and the habit stays with them for the rest of their lives and then they decided not to be strict with their own children because they are afraid to hurt their children like they were hurt before. That would explain children being wild because they know they can get away with anything.

There has to be a balance here. No belts, no whipping, no weapons at all. Balance love and displience. You cannot raise a child out of fear or with anger.

Cricket said:
and look at today's kids they have absoultely no respect for authority figures... no fear nothing because they know they can call the law if they get a mark on their body

whats wrong with the picture?

i happen to agree with Cricket --

*staying neutral on this issue*

I agree with both cricket and fly free, i really can't judge anyone, SO im staying netural here.

geez!! i see some parents dont teach kids right things so they will grow bad habit... so they need teach them right thing from wrong things instead belt or anything.. i dont believe in the belt or anything.. but i can punishment them put in room, take their favorite things away until they learn lesson...

It is interesting to know that in Sweden, parents or guardian are not allowed to smack kids, they will be prosecuted.

I don't hit them... but verbal disciplining seems to be working for me

VamPyroX said:
Well, the Bible also says that you should not beat your children. Technically, the Bible changed. The Old Testament favored beatings while the New Testament opposes beatings.

Yeah, I notice that the kind of author who wrote the bibles is their own opinion...

Example like this.

Religion and Discipline

http://www.stophitting.com/religion/diana.php

Back