New fingerspelling font: Lapiak ASL

joachim

Reaction score
Hello!

I just recently released a new font called Lapiak ASL, in both regular and bold. It can be downloaded for free at Lapiak Design // Fonts

Because I invested a lot on this font and would like it to be free to the public, there are a few restrictions: if you want to share this font, please refer others to the above link only, as re-distribution is not allowed. Since it is free, it cannot be used for commercial or profit use.

Thank you, and I hope you enjoy the font!

I checked out your site and the zipped file for the fonts. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but the zipped file is for MAC uers only. (I unzipped and extracted the fonts but my Win XP font registry does not recognize them.)

What you should see are two files that has an .otf extension (OpenType, which works on both Windows and Macs.) Place those two .otf files in your C:\WINDOWS\Fonts\ folder. Usually, for Windows users, to properly have them installed, you will need to restart your computer.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you're still encountering problems.

Oh nice, it work so perfectly on Mac.

There's pic of my desktop that use this fonts.
picture1mk4.png

Thanks for sharing us, that is interesting fonts for deaf.

Aw, thanks ! I just downloaded it. :D

By the way, I do have " ILY " sign language along with each letter ( A to Z ). :)

cool! Will have to download this when I get home, if I remember to. :)

Hello!

I just recently released a new font called Lapiak ASL, in both regular and bold. It can be downloaded for free at Lapiak Design // Fonts

Because I invested a lot on this font and would like it to be free to the public, there are a few restrictions: if you want to share this font, please refer others to the above link only, as re-distribution is not allowed. Since it is free, it cannot be used for commercial or profit use.

Great job! Today I uses your fonts to teach the kids the finger spelling at my work. They love it! Sometime when they ask me couple of questions and I respond with M$ Word in asl fonts. Lol. Worth a challenge for them.

Looks really cool. Does this mean I could type a sentence using this? Computer dummy here, :Oops:

Looks really cool. Does this mean I could type a sentence using this? Computer dummy here, :Oops:

Yep. I have been using the Gallaudet font for several years, and often send my son little fingerspelled messages through mail.

Great job! Today I uses your fonts to teach the kids the finger spelling at my work. They love it! Sometime when they ask me couple of questions and I respond with M$ Word in asl fonts. Lol. Worth a challenge for them.

That's very cool! I do enjoy reading stories like this, so I'm glad that my font has made a nice impact for education and for the community. Thank you for sharing :)

Hello!

way cool... I may suggest you something. you need to add more font because we don't have manual handshape, foreign language manual alphabet as mexican sign language or japanese sign language.

if you decide to design them, all deafies from world will thank you always

Garrett

I am using freeware operating system, maybe you know it, Ubuntu? It won't let me install your files because it is not something besides windows or mac. I need it badly as I am trying to learn sign language now. Please help me if you can. Stephanie Peacock

For those who were wondering what happened to the download link, my website is being transferred to a faster, reliable server, and it should be back up soon, hopefully no more than a few days.

Thank you.

I will check to see if it works with my Ubuntu Linux. I am aware that Ubuntu can work with M$ Windows font format. It's neat!

Thanks
Catty

I am using freeware operating system, maybe you know it, Ubuntu? It won't let me install your files because it is not something besides windows or mac. I need it badly as I am trying to learn sign language now. Please help me if you can. Stephanie Peacock

Go to Ubuntu Forum and go to "General Help". Ubuntu Forums Just post Thread and ask for help with Microsoft *.otf font compatibilty... I personally have Ubuntu Gusty Gibbon 7.10. I've done with transferring M$ font to old Ubuntu in the past but it had been long time. I remember several bloggers successfully got it working.

Thanks

Catty

It works!

It works on Ubuntu Linux. I unzipped and extracted it to Ubuntu's desktop. I clicked two files and it opens. You can see pix of my Ubuntu desktop with ASL fonts

Thanks!
Catty

Attachments

• ASL.jpg
    ASL.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 7

[SOLVED] I have a font that ends in .otf - Ubuntu Forums

Here's the Ubuntu forum. Lapiak ASL installation for Ubuntu explained in there. I got it installed and it only show up front end font setting (for system font settings) but not in OpenOffice.org writer or Evolution Email. I will ask more in Ubuntu forum on how to install Lapiak ASL for OpenOffice.org word processor and any Linux Email. I haven't checked Screenlet post note for Lapiak ASL font (I have Compiz-Fusion installed).

Thanks
Catty

Back