Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Miscellaneous > Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Unread 11-02-2006, 02:46 PM   #1
Jolie77
Premium Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The benefits of Lemon Water

Yesterday I was out with a friend at a restaurant and she was ordering a glass of iced water with the lemon in it. I had to be curious and wonder how it tasted. I asked her if it was kinda sour or anything like that since lemon are known to be a little bit sour. She was like, nope it's not that sour. It just makes it a bit tangy for the water to drink. So, I took the liberty to satisfy my curiousity to give it a try and ordered one for myself. To my surprise, it did taste good. I thought to myself "Hey, this is really good, it doesn't taste too sour or too strong. It's perfect for my taste" I have never been a fan of drinking water because it always tasted so plain to me but after trying the lemon water, I thought it would be a change to perhaps at least get me off those soda pops.

Anyway, so naturally I was curious how good the lemon water would be and what is the purpose of drinking it to serve our body for the better? I did a little bit of digging it up and there were some informations that I was intrigued to see.

The benefits of having lemon water would be -

Quote:
The lemon is a wonderful stimulant to the liver and is a dissolvent of uric acid and other poisons, liquefies the bile, and is very good in cases of malaria. Sufferers of chronic rheumatism and gout will benefit by taking lemon juice, also those who have a tendency to bleed, uterine hemorrhages, etc.; rickets and tuberculosis. In pregnancy, it will help to build bone in the child. We find that the lemon contains certain elements which will go to build up a healthy system and keep that system healthy and well. As a food, we find, owing to its potassium content, it will nourish the brain and nerve cells. Its calcium builds up the bony structure and makes healthy teeth.

Its magnesium, in conjunction with calcium, has an important part to play in the formation of albumen in the blood. The lemon contains potassium 48.3, calcium 29.9, phosphorus 11.1, magnesium 4.4. Lemons are useful in treating asthma, biliousness, colds, coughs, sore throat, diphtheria, la grippe [flu or influenza], heartburn, liver complaint[s], scurvy, fevers and rheumatism.

The purpose of the lemon is to:
A) Provide a natural strengthening agent to the liver enzymes when they are too dilute.
B) The liver can make more enzymes out of fresh lemon juice than any other food element.
C) The lemon helps fix oxygen and calciums in the liver because it regulates blood carbohydrate levels which affect the blood oxygen levels.
There are so many lemon remedies that I found quite interesting to share as well -

Quote:
For sore throat, dilute lemon juice with water and gargle frequently. Dilute one-half lemon juice with one-half water. It is even better to use straight lemon juice.
A slice of lemon bound over a corn overnight will greatly relieve the pain.
A slice of lemon bound over a felon [pus formation on a finger joint] will not fail to bring the pus to the surface where it can be easily removed.
To relieve asthma, take a tablespoon of lemon juice one hour before each meal.
For liver complaints, the juice of the lemon should be taken in a glass of hot water one hour before breakfast every morning.
To break up la grippe [flu or influenza], drink a large glass of hot water with the juice of a lemon added, while at the same time have the feet in a deep bucket or other vessel of water with mustard added to it. The water should be deep enough to where it comes nearly up to the knees. Keep adding hot water to the patient's tolerance and until the patient begins to perspire freely (about 20-30 minutes). Be sure there is no draft on the person while this is done. The patient should be near a bed so he can get in it easily and avoid any danger of getting chilled. If convenient, a full hot bathtub would be good in place of the foot-bath. The lemon water should be taken every hour until the patient feels that all the symptoms of the cold are gone.
A teaspoon of lemon juice in half a glass of water relieves heartburn.
For rheumatism, one or two ounces of lemon juice diluted in water should be taken three times a day: one hour before meals and at bedtime.
In cases of hemorrhage, lemon juice diluted in water and taken as cold as possible will stop it.
Scurvy is treated by giving one to two ounces of lemon juice diluted with water every two to four hours.
In excessive menstruation the juice of three to four lemons a day will help check it. Best to take the juice of one lemon at a time in a glass of cold water.
Jolie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 11-03-2006, 04:23 PM   #2
lilylover72
I love purple!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That are very interesting. Thank you for share this with us!
lilylover72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2006, 05:24 PM   #3
murli108

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hi folks, lemon is excellent for health... warm water with lemon is better than cold water with lemon bec cold water causes bad health like cancer, running nose, etc. Dont drink lemon water daily.....take it temporary only. take care...
murli108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2006, 12:16 AM   #4
sara1981

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to sara1981
im really like lemon with tea that good for me and also water too! sometimes without lemon dont worry

Katie the beagle puppy she so adorables!!
sara1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2006, 02:35 PM   #5
lilylover72
I love purple!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murli108 View Post
hi folks, lemon is excellent for health... warm water with lemon is better than cold water with lemon bec cold water causes bad health like cancer, running nose, etc. Dont drink lemon water daily.....take it temporary only. take care...
Oh please, dont bring this up!
lilylover72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2006, 02:42 PM   #6
sequoias
Premium Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You could mix lemon juice with 100 percent PURE oilve oil and eat it by one spoonful. It's good for your liver and other functions I forget.
sequoias is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2006, 09:18 PM   #7
Maria
Premium Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very interestin' thread, Jolie -- I usually drink cold water with a sliced of lemon in it and use it in iced tea, too. I also like to drink plain cold water ( bottle only, not from the sink where the faucet is due to chemicals in it ).

Lemon is good for you.
Maria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2006, 09:22 PM   #8
Jolie77
Premium Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
And do please explain why we should not drink lemon water daily? From what I have known, drinking lemon water with the cold or hot water goes great in both ways. I also have to wonder, Where does it say that cold water causes bad healths, cancers, runny noses and such as that? Sure, If the water is not properly filtered or has the bacteria in it then yes, it would be understandable but I have not known of a case where cold water does actually cause these.
Jolie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2006, 10:42 AM   #9
RDC_girl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via MSN to RDC_girl
If I drink water in restaurants I always order it with lemon. Also I find if I am thirsty and I drink plain water I only take a sip or two. If the water has lemon I can drink 4 or 5 glasses before I am not thirsty anymore.

I think with the lemon, it doesnt satisfy a thirst which makes it easier to drink more. Which is good because the average person should be drinking 8 glasses of water a day, with or without lemon
RDC_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2007, 04:50 PM   #10
sanrock444

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi All,

For those who like to drink cold water, this article is applicable toyou. It is nice to have a cup of cold drink after a meal. However, the cold water will solidify the oily stuff that you have just consumed.

It will slow down the digestion. Once this 'sludge' reacts with the acid, it will break down and be absorbed by the intestine faster than the solid food. It will line the intestine. Very soon, this will turn into fats and lead to cancer. It is best to drink hot soup or warm
water after a meal.

A serious note about heart attacks - You should know that not every heart attack symptom is going to be the left arm hurting. Be aware of intense pain in the jaw line.

You may never have the first chest pain during the course of a heart attack. Nausea and intense sweating are also common symptoms. 60% of people who have a heart attack while they are asleep do not wake up.

Pain in the jaw can wake you from a sound sleep. Let's be careful and be aware. The more we know the better chance we could survive.

A cardiologist says if everyone who reads this message sends it to 10 people, you can be sure that we'll save at least one life. Read this &Send the link to a friend. It could save a life. So, please be a true friend and send this article to all your friends you care about.

Its never late....Forward soon....Better late than never!!

sanrock444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2007, 04:56 PM   #11
sanrock444

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just came across an enquiry from a user asking about the bad effects of drinking cold water.Thats what tempted me to post this.I myself used to drink loads of cold water.

Anyway, I am not saying that Cold water is bad for health or something like that.But its always better to avoid it after a meal, particularly if the food is rich in oily stuff and all!!:

Better have a hot soup or warm water after food!!
sanrock444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2007, 05:08 PM   #12
J'explique

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
I disagree. Where did you the information from? Oh yeah, maybe it is according to yourself. Stick to the sources to yourself.

I drank plenty of cold bottle water myself and never had health problems associating to drinking cold water. Oh yeah, the taste of cold water is a bliss compared to drinking warm, yucky water. Please research more about lemons and water before post inaccurate informations or your own sources.
J'explique is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2007, 05:15 PM   #13
Reba
Retired Terp

Liked 180 Times in 87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrock444 View Post
Hi All,
For those who like to drink cold water, this article is applicable toyou. It is nice to have a cup of cold drink after a meal. However, the cold water will solidify the oily stuff that you have just consumed.

It will slow down the digestion. Once this 'sludge' reacts with the acid, it will break down and be absorbed by the intestine faster than the solid food. It will line the intestine. Very soon, this will turn into fats and lead to cancer. It is best to drink hot soup or warm
water after a meal.

A serious note about heart attacks - You should know that not every heart attack symptom is going to be the left arm hurting. Be aware of intense pain in the jaw line.

You may never have the first chest pain during the course of a heart attack. Nausea and intense sweating are also common symptoms. 60% of people who have a heart attack while they are asleep do not wake up.

Pain in the jaw can wake you from a sound sleep. Let's be careful and be aware. The more we know the better chance we could survive.

A cardiologist says if everyone who reads this message sends it to 10 people, you can be sure that we'll save at least one life. Read this &Send the link to a friend. It could save a life. So, please be a true friend and send this article to all your friends you care about.
Snopes says this is false.

Urban Legends Reference Pages: Drinking Cold Water Causes Cancer
Reba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2007, 05:54 PM   #14
Kaitin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Hi All,

water after a meal.

That is part of a email that has been sent around the net and is false. Urban Legends wrote about it:

"Rule of thumb: don't take health advice from anonymous forwarded emails. I scoured every available medical database for articles confirming -- or even suggesting -- that drinking cold water with meals is harmful, and found not a single one. There's no scientific basis for the claim that cold water will "solidify the oily stuff" you have just consumed, or that this "sludge" will "line the intestine," let alone "turn into fats" and "lead to cancer."

It's mumbo-jumbo, and self-contradictory mumbo-jumbo at that. The email states that drinking cold water "slows down the digestion," yet in the very next sentence declares that it will cause the your stomach contents to "break down and be absorbed by the intestine faster." Which is it?

What studies do exist mainly extoll the benefits of drinking cold water, especially during and after vigorous exercise. Cold water is absorbed by the body more quickly than warm water and can help lower one's body temperature, preventing dehydration."

Here's another article about how it is false: Digital Journal

"As a conclusion, present medical knowledge indicates that drinking cold water during or after a meal is no more dangerous for our health than drinking hot water. This mail is a hoax. The information in it should not be taken seriously. It should be deleted, and certainly not be sent to anyone."
Kaitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2007, 12:19 AM   #15
OpheliaSpeaks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have also heard that lemon water helps speed up the metabolism. I am not sure of the validity behind this statement, as increased fluid consumption (water) is definitely beneficial for the body, but I always put a little bit of lemon juice in my water. I add it to the brita pitcher. It tastes better!
OpheliaSpeaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2007, 12:48 AM   #16
Liebling:-)))
Sussi *7.7.86 - 18.6.09*

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting...

Served with a slice of lemon in mineral or soda water automatic in many German resturants. We leave slice of lemon in mineral or soda water to soak... They also served few sliced of lemon on bread crumbed coat meats and fishes as well then we can squeeze the lemon with our fork ourselves

I add pure lemon juice or squeeze one fresh lemon in the glass before add the water daily.
Unread 10-12-2007, 12:57 AM   #17
Sussi *7.7.86 - 18.6.09*

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Hi All,

water after a meal.

This is myth!!!

Reba beat me!!!!

It's health to drink water before and after meal time. Our body need one to two liter fluid a day... Drink water or herbal tea a day, not sweetner and caffeinated drinks.

Drink ice water burn few calories...
Unread 10-24-2007, 10:02 PM   #18
fredfam1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lemon Juice

The only citrus fruit that will help make your
blood alkaline. You want your blood slightly
alkaline for maximum health.
fredfam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2007, 01:22 AM   #19
Sussi *7.7.86 - 18.6.09*

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfam1 View Post
The only citrus fruit that will help make your
blood alkaline. You want your blood slightly
alkaline for maximum health.
Sorry, it's a misleading information.

Eating any foods including citrus fruits (important nutrients) do not effect your blood.

Important is eat more protein nutrients (I mean limit) and low fat.
Unread 10-25-2007, 10:39 AM   #20
fredfam1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
About Dr. Reams and Lemons

From a Reams practitioner on lemon:

Lemons are the only food which are purely anionic. The catch is that this is only true of fresh lemons.

After about 30 minutes of exposure to air (oxygen), lemon juice becomes cationic. The confusion comes when one thinks in terms of acid and alkaline. Lemon juice would always be thought of as acid, but, while fresh, is anionic (which corresponds to alkaline). If you had an acid urine pH and you used Dr. Reams' lemon/water drink as he suggested, your pH would become more alkaline. This seems illogical when you think of lemon juice as acidic. But it's not, its anionic. In addition to fresh lemon juice, the only other thing that is purely anionic is pure calcium.

To explain anionic and cationic... an ion is a molecule with an electric charge. An anion contains the smallest amount of energy known to man. One anion will contain from 1 to 499 Milhouse units of energy. It is a negative charged ion. Anionic corresponds to alkaline. Its electrons orbit around the nucleus in a clockwise direction.

A cation corresponds to acid. One cation will contain from 500 to 999 Milhouse units of energy. It is a positive charged ion. Its electrons orbit in a counter-clockwise direction. When a cation gains more than 999 Milhouse units of energy, it splits into two anions.

According to Reams, the key issue here concerns our digestive process. The gastric juice produced by the liver is anionic. All foods (except fresh lemons) are a varying mixture of cationic and anionic. When the anionic gastric juices come into contact with cationic foods, the two ions react to each other, much like vinegar and baking soda, and energy is released to be used by the body. Let me quote from Dr. Reams, ''We do not live off the food we eat, we live off the energy from the food we eat. The anion rotates in a clockwise direction. The cation in a counter-clockwise direction. Resistance is created when these two moving forces, rotating in opposite directions, collide. The measure of the resistance, in chemistry, is called ''pH''. When a person gets sick, there are not enough anionic substances present to supply the energy he needs from the cationic foods eaten.'' Add to that the issue of the foods being demineralized, and the problem becomes more serious.
Unread 10-25-2007, 05:42 PM   #21
Kaitin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
About Dr. Reams and Lemons

From a Reams practitioner on lemon:

Lemons are the only food which are purely anionic. The catch is that this is only true of fresh lemons.

After about 30 minutes of exposure to air (oxygen), lemon juice becomes cationic. The confusion comes when one thinks in terms of acid and alkaline. Lemon juice would always be thought of as acid, but, while fresh, is anionic (which corresponds to alkaline). If you had an acid urine pH and you used Dr. Reams' lemon/water drink as he suggested, your pH would become more alkaline. This seems illogical when you think of lemon juice as acidic. But it's not, its anionic. In addition to fresh lemon juice, the only other thing that is purely anionic is pure calcium.

To explain anionic and cationic... an ion is a molecule with an electric charge. An anion contains the smallest amount of energy known to man. One anion will contain from 1 to 499 Milhouse units of energy. It is a negative charged ion. Anionic corresponds to alkaline. Its electrons orbit around the nucleus in a clockwise direction.

A cation corresponds to acid. One cation will contain from 500 to 999 Milhouse units of energy. It is a positive charged ion. Its electrons orbit in a counter-clockwise direction. When a cation gains more than 999 Milhouse units of energy, it splits into two anions.

According to Reams, the key issue here concerns our digestive process. The gastric juice produced by the liver is anionic. All foods (except fresh lemons) are a varying mixture of cationic and anionic. When the anionic gastric juices come into contact with cationic foods, the two ions react to each other, much like vinegar and baking soda, and energy is released to be used by the body. Let me quote from Dr. Reams, ''We do not live off the food we eat, we live off the energy from the food we eat. The anion rotates in a clockwise direction. The cation in a counter-clockwise direction. Resistance is created when these two moving forces, rotating in opposite directions, collide. The measure of the resistance, in chemistry, is called ''pH''. When a person gets sick, there are not enough anionic substances present to supply the energy he needs from the cationic foods eaten.'' Add to that the issue of the foods being demineralized, and the problem becomes more serious.
I don't understand. Anions are negatively charged. Example: I- (iodide), Cl- (chloride). In our stomachs are HCl = H+ and Cl- = hydrochloric acid = one positively charged and one negatively charged. pH is measurement of H+ = hydrogen cation. pH is not "measure of the resistance". High pH is alkaline (little H+) and low pH is acid (lot of H+). If you have stomach acid you have HCl and both negative and positive charge in HCl. Not all sickness makes less stomach acid. The blood pH is 7.4 +/- 0.1. Change more than 0.1 means very sick or dead.

Unread 10-25-2007, 06:55 PM   #22
fredfam1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile

You are correct in what you have said. However the blood itself
has to be "slightly" alkaline ph for maximum health. PH neutral
is positive 7 as you know. (Why silly scientists did that instead
of 0 I don't know) If your blood 7.35 it is too acid for good health
If your blood is 7.4 ph that is considered normal. If is 7.45 it is too acid.

Read this persons comment on ph and then read what I have to say.

." But your blood never becomes acidic because as soon as the proteins are converted to organic acids, calcium leaves your bones to neutralize the acid and prevent any change in pH. Because of this, many scientists "

This is theory and does not work in real life. This was written by a well
educated doctor who says anyone that believes different does not
understand biology.

Well I have studied many doctors views on this and many dieticians
views and they are about equally divided on the issue. Think about
this though If you supposedly can not change your blood ph by
what you eat, if the body maintains it no matter what, then why
would they bother to check your ph as a sign of wellness or
illness? Your ph can vary on either side of acid or alkaline
very slightly. And what you eat can affect it. The reasons
for it being affected my not be accurate. I think the reason
you can vary ph with food is because the protiens in your
food affect your amino acid pool which then affects what
critters, germs, bacteria and viruses, can gain a foot hold.
And they in turn will affect your ph levels. So you see both
sides are using science to promote their viewpoint when
the reasons may lie elsewhere. You can change your ph
(slightly) by what you eat and drink. How or why this
occurs is unclear in the scientific community.

I have heard many nutritionists state that taking individual
amino acids can not improve health related problems because
of the "amino acid pool". This is patently untrue and I have
saved my own mothers life with "amino acid therapies"

I hope I explained clearly. Please, please ask for clarification
on anything I said if I was unclear.
Unread 10-25-2007, 07:05 PM   #23
LakeTahoe

Location: Lost somewhere in the outer space!! Help me to find my way back home to earth!!
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like to drink water with lemon...yum! My mom is allergic to curtis (sp) fruits (such as lemon, oranges etc) so she sometimes give me her lemon.
Unread 10-25-2007, 07:48 PM   #24
Kaitin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
You are correct in what you have said. However the blood itself
has to be "slightly" alkaline ph for maximum health. PH neutral
is positive 7 as you know. (Why silly scientists did that instead
of 0 I don't know) If your blood 7.35 it is too acid for good health
If your blood is 7.4 ph that is considered normal. If is 7.45 it is too acid.
Normal blood pH has a range from 7.35 to 7.45, not just 7.40 exactly.

From Nursing: "pH (normal range, 7.35 to 7.45). - Normally, blood pH is slightly alkaline, with a normal range of 7.35 to 7.45."

From MedLinePlus Medical Encyclopedia: "The pH in blood is maintained within the narrow range of 7.35 to 7.45."

From Merck: "A pH of 7.0, in the middle of this scale, is neutral. Blood is normally slightly basic, with a pH range of 7.35 to 7.45. To function properly, the body maintains the pH of blood close to 7.4."

Quote:
." But your blood never becomes acidic because as soon as the proteins are converted to organic acids, calcium leaves your bones to neutralize the acid and prevent any change in pH. Because of this, many scientists "

This is theory and does not work in real life. This was written by a well
educated doctor who says anyone that believes different does not
understand biology.
I agree the theory is wrong. The big blood buffers are carbonic acid from dissolved carbon dioxide and bicarbonate, not calcium.

From Merck: "Yet another mechanism for controlling blood pH involves the use of buffer systems, which guard against sudden shifts in acidity and alkalinity. The pH buffer systems are combinations of a weak acid and weak base that exist in balance under normal pH conditions. The pH buffer systems work chemically to minimize changes in the pH of a solution by adjusting the proportion of acid and base. The most important pH buffer system in the blood involves carbonic acid (a weak acid formed from the carbon dioxide dissolved in blood) and bicarbonate ions (the corresponding weak base)."

Also the body control of pH is mainly lungs (blow CO2) and urine, not bone.

From Wikipedia: "Together with the lungs, the kidneys are major players in the regulation of acid-base homeostasis. Because the pH of the blood is determined in large part by the levels of carbon dioxide and bicarbonate in the blood, control of acid-base balance is achieved by regulating the blood levels of these compounds. The lung contributes to carbon dioxide balance, while the kidney regulates bicarbonate levels. Whereas carbon dioxide levels can be rapidly adjusted by changing respiratory rate, adjusting bicarbonate concentration is more time-intensive. Thus the lung contributes to short-term regulation, while the kidneys contribute to long-term regulation of acid-base balance."

Quote:
Well I have studied many doctors views on this and many dieticians views and they are about equally divided on the issue. Think about this though If you supposedly can not change your blood ph by
what you eat, if the body maintains it no matter what, then why
would they bother to check your ph as a sign of wellness or
illness?
pH needs check because variation with illness. If you can't breath you can't blow CO2 = more acid and pH below 7.35. Diabetes can get diabetic ketoacidosis = pH below 7.35. Kidney failure patients can be acidic because the blood isn't buffered.

Quote:
Your ph can vary on either side of acid or alkaline
very slightly. And what you eat can affect it. The reasons
for it being affected my not be accurate.
I think the reason you can vary ph with food is because the protiens in your
food affect your amino acid pool which then affects what
critters, germs, bacteria and viruses, can gain a foot hold.
And they in turn will affect your ph levels. So you see both
sides are using science to promote their viewpoint when
the reasons may lie elsewhere. You can change your ph
(slightly) by what you eat and drink. How or why this
occurs is unclear in the scientific community.

I have heard many nutritionists state that taking individual
amino acids can not improve health related problems because
of the "amino acid pool". This is patently untrue and I have
saved my own mothers life with "amino acid therapies"

I hope I explained clearly. Please, please ask for clarification
on anything I said if I was unclear.
pH for amino acid varies. Basic amino acid group is neutral, a zwitterion. Functional group makes each amino acid different and changes pH = different isoelectric group.

From Chemguide: "The pH at which this lack of movement during electrophoresis happens is known as the isoelectric point of the amino acid. This pH varies from amino acid to amino acid."

From About.Com Chemistry: "Nonpolar Side Chains
There are eight amino acids with nonpolar side chains. Glycine, alanine, and proline have small, nonpolar side chains and are all weakly hydrophobic. Phenylalanine, valine, leucine, isoleucine, and methionine have larger side chains and are more strongly hydrophobic.

Polar, Uncharged Side Chains
There are also eight amino acids with polar, uncharged side chains. Serine and threonine have hydroxyl groups. Asparagine and glutamine have amide groups. Histidine and tryptophan have heterocyclic aromatic amine side chains. Cysteine has a sulfhydryl group. Tyrosine has a phenolic side chain. The sulfhydryl group of cysteine, phenolic hydroxyl group of tyrosine, and imidazole group of histidine all show some degree of pH-dependent ionization.

Charged Side Chains
There are four amino acids with charged side chains. Aspartic acid and glutamic acid have carboxyl groups on their side chains. Each acid is fully ionized at pH 7.4. Arginine and lysine have side chains with amino groups. Their side chains are fully protonated at pH 7.4.
"

Amino acid is broken up in a body with metabolism. A body doesn't keep extra amino acid - no pool. Part of amino acid are used for energy, muscle etc.

From THe Biology Project: "Unlike fat and starch, the human body does not store excess amino acids for later usethe amino acids must be in the food every day."

Some amino acids are bad for the health if excessive. No problem with others.

From JOurnal of Nutrition: "Adverse effects are apparent in animals when most (if not all) amino acids are taken in amounts that are disproportionate to the normal diet composition. In growing animals, this is generally apparent as a reduction in growth rate, but the magnitude of this effect and the ability of the animal to compensate vary widely. Also, large variation exists in the incidence and nature of adverse effects that are observed with different amino acids in adults. Moreover, no general rule or mechanism appears to account for the effects of all amino acids or even groups of amino acids. Neurological effects occur with a range of amino acids, but there appears to be no uniform mechanism. The most toxic amino acids for both animals and humans appear to be methionine, cysteine, and histidine. Not only do these amino acids have acute adverse effects, but evidence exists that they can cause tissue damage and increase homocysteine and/or cholesterol levels and so may be associated with chronic diseases if taken over long periods of time. However, in general, there is little evidence of serious adverse effects in humans from most amino acid supplements. Nonetheless, for many amino acids, the data relevant to humans are very limited, so unanticipated adverse consequences of consuming large amounts cannot be ruled out. In particular, there are no data that would enable an upper level of safe intake to be established with confidence for any amino acid."

I know more about pH than amino acid. I don't know if we agree about amino acids - hope so!
Unread 10-25-2007, 09:27 PM   #25
fredfam1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Excellent research!

CFrom JOurnal of Nutrition: "Adverse effects are apparent in animals when most (if not all) amino acids are taken in amounts that are disproportionate to the normal diet composition. In growing animals, this is generally apparent as a reduction in growth rate, but the magnitude of this effect and the ability of the animal to compensate vary widely. Also, large variation exists in the incidence and nature of adverse effects that are observed with different amino acids in adults. Moreover, no general rule or mechanism appears to account for the effects of all amino acids or even groups of amino acids. Neurological effects occur with a range of amino acids, but there appears to be no uniform mechanism. The most toxic amino acids for both animals and humans appear to be methionine, cysteine, and histidine. Not only do these amino acids have acute adverse effects, but evidence exists that they can cause tissue damage and increase homocysteine and/or cholesterol levels and so may be associated with chronic diseases if taken over long periods of time. However, in general, there is little evidence of serious adverse effects in humans from most amino acid supplements. Nonetheless, for many amino acids, the data relevant to humans are very limited, so unanticipated adverse consequences of consuming large amounts cannot be ruled out. In particular, there are no data that would enable an upper level of safe intake to be established with confidence for any amino acid."

This is "Western Medical Theory" Yes excess amino acid consumption
can be toxic and there for should only be done under the supervision
of a qualified medical practitioner. Many nutritionists are at odds over
the amino acid question and the pool does not exist."
I was taught that it did and then 24 years later taught that it didn't. However the statement that, "However, in general, there is little evidence of serious adverse effects in humans" is not true and in
addition there is much "relevant data to humans"

I am not on my own computer right now so I can't figure out how to
find the links and put them here, but google a search "amino acid
therapy" and you will find a lot of info.

For the average person it is safer to do amino acid therapy by
using foods. IE if you want to help get rid of a herpies out break
on your lip then you would eat foods high in L-lysine while avoiding
foods high in argenine. Again you would not do this for very long
if pregnant because this would theoretically inhibit nitric oxide in
your blood stream and make you more likely to have preeclampsia.

Because I am familiar with the therapy and have a medical background
I just buy individual amino acids and take those to help specific
conditions. like L-Taurine will help with migrane headaches and
has an anti seizure effect. L- Carnitine combined with L-Taurine
will help relieve symptoms of congestive heart failure. Some people
on certain anti depresant meds should never use amino acids
on their own.

Like ph the changes are very subtle and our western nutrition books
and even good ole Merk has some predjudices. To be fair source of
info even non western has its good and bad and me personally, if
I try something I give it two weeks to work and if not I chuck it.
Thats just me.I've never been good with decimals thanks for the
precision. But you can see that there is room for variance and
good health favors the alkaline over the acid however minute the
changes.

Again you did awsome research and I love this discourse!
Unread 10-27-2007, 05:22 PM   #26
Kaitin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Interesting! I studied pH and buffer in chemistry and wrote 2 papers on body's ph and buffer system for a summer job to get lab credit.

I don't know much about amino acid. Thank you for the information. I will study it more.
Unread 11-19-2007, 01:50 AM   #27
Rio
Patriots Rock!

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to Rio
Drinking lemon with my water is one of my favorite drinks. Lemon actually burns fat as well. It also gives it flavor to help you drink water more. The advantage of lemon juice also helps your avocado and guamole from turning brown.

Ps.103:12 He washes our sins away into the ocean
Brady's back

Proverbs 17:9
Love prospers when a fault is forgiven, but dwelling on it separates close friends
Rio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2007, 05:15 AM   #28
Sussi *7.7.86 - 18.6.09*

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vitamin C

Vitamin C, one of the most important vitamins for human being, can be found in all green plants, especially citrus fruits.

Symptoms of Vitamin C deficiency are weakness, loss of appetite, loss of immune functions (particularly in kids), cold and flu, painful bones, joints and muscles.

Moreover, the lack of this vitamin can cause slow healing and upset the digestive system and mucous membranes.

That’s why Vitamins are essential…

Ascorbic acid, commonly known as Vitamin C, is functionally most relevant for collagen synthesis, that assists connective tissue integrity (by hydrogen bond between collagen proteins) of bone tissue , dentine and teeth, wound healing and burns, because it helps scar tissue formation. Furthermore, it enhances intestinal iron absorption, it’s essential to the synthesis of carnitine, in folic acid conversion into its active form THFA and in adrenalin and noradrenalin synthesis, which are two neurotransmitters of sympathetic nervous system, release in stressing circumstances and elaborated in medullary region of suprarenal glands.

Vitamin C is water-soluble nutrient; exposed to metals, alkalis, light or oxygen it easily oxidizes and its chemical formula is C6H8O6. Ascorbic Acid acts as an antioxidant, scavenging potentially harmful molecules called free radicals.

How, when and why intake vitamin C
The human body lacks the ability to synthesize and make Vitamin C and therefore depends on exogenous dietary sources to meet vitamin C needs, through a daily intake. Vitamin C can be found in all green plants, particularly in Citrus (Citrus Fruits). It’s useful for intracellular oxide reduction processes, causing an enhanced of aromatic amino acid metabolism and the leakage of some intracellular substances.

Overdoses: Vitamin C exhibits remarkably low toxicity, cause it is water-soluble. So it could cause diarreha but it won’t be absorbed by our tissues.

Recommended daily allowance (RDA): 50-75 mg per day, in adult and healthy people.

Pregnancy, lactation, hypothyroidism, surgery, inflammatory and chronic diseases request a major intake of Vitamin C. It’s worth to mention that boiling temperatures will destroy Vitamin C rapidly: in other words in any foodstuff a large percentage is lost on cooking. Smoking, stress, fever or gas inhalation do not allow a complete absorption of Vitamin C.

Sulfa drugs increase vitamin elimination, sodium bicarbonate, which create an alkaline environment, destroy Vitamin C and also too much water can damage our Ascorbic Acid body store.

The lack of Ascorbic Acid, in children from 2 to 20 months, is sometimes referred to as Barlow’s Disease, named after the physician who described it, rarely seen today in occidental countries.Basically, bottle-fed infants (with artificial milk poor in Vitamin C) suffer from fetid breath, coated tongue and subperiosteal hemorrhages. In adults, Vitamin C deficiency is often due to a wrong diet. Severe cases are know as a scurvy disease.

Focus on 100 gr. of Lemon
Vitamin C: 60 mg
Vitamin B1: 0,04 mg
Vitamin B2: 0,01 mg
Vitamin PP: 0,3 mg
Calcium: 14 mg
Phosphorus: 11 mg
Iron: 0,1 mg
Citric Acid: 6 g

Vitamin C

Everything about lemon.
Succo di limone Limmi.it

I made my own hot lemon when I get flu, fever and cold.
Unread 11-19-2007, 05:21 AM   #29
Sussi *7.7.86 - 18.6.09*

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanblue7 View Post
Drinking lemon with my water is one of my favorite drinks. Lemon actually burns fat as well. It also gives it flavor to help you drink water more. The advantage of lemon juice also helps your avocado and guamole from turning brown.

Yes but avacado have healthy fat and low cholesterol. I love avocado. I made my own avocado with seasoning including lemon juice, raw onion and garlic to spread on the rye bread...yummmmyyy
Unread 11-19-2007, 07:44 AM   #30
Kalista
Premium Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always drink water with fresh lemon squeeze in the glass at the restruant or my house. I love it. I didnt realize, it is very good for my health.

Thanks for sharing the information.