Laurent, South Dakota: Deaf Town

web730

Reaction score
Some of you guys and I have heard of this new town being created underway for the deaf-majority population there.

It would be very cool to know such a deaf town becoming a real possibilty. But in South Dakota?

But I have a gut feeling that it may be located in a wrong place ... South Dakota for the sake! But I could be wrong how it may have turned out in near future. Do you agree with me, however?

I really thought that they should locate that in a different state where the many deaf population is nearby, rather so. Say Maryland or Florida or Texas or someplace .. those would be more ideal and more preferrable locations than S.D. for the deaf community overall. Agree?

It's too cold and have so little deaf population in S.D. From what I heard that N.D. is the worst weathered state to live. (from a fact source) S.D. is just a neighbor state though it's south from that state, but as close though.

But the heck you should know what I talk about. So tell us what your opinions are. Please regard on the Laurent, South Dakota 'deaf town' as the topic here, thanks.

Miller seems to believe that Laurent would be safest under the wings of C.S.D. which seems to be the latest 'Alamo' of the ASL militants since they lost their grip of Gallaudet University.

Richard

brrrr, cold! Not a place for me to live! I hope they know what they're doing.

The winters in Dakotas can get down below zero in the winter, how exciting is that?

sequoias said:

The winters in Dakotas can get down below zero in the winter, how exciting is that?

Count me, too! No way to live in a longer winter. I used to live in widwest long time and disliked it. I loved the snow but not the cold, especially the long winter and heat. That sucks.

The only reason they're doing in in SD is because it means they'll have a significant voice on county and state-level issues... It bothers me that they'd compromise the development of a real Deaf town (in a nicer climate and an area with more Deaf people!) by their desire to push the ASL-only agenda... And, from the way they've worded it, impose ASL on hearing people.

Will CODAs growing up in Laurent learn to speak at all? By the design of the school system, no, they won't. And that scares me more than anything else about the Laurent idea.

I just can't imagine...and I definitely wouldn't call it Utopia.

For all the reasons we could think of with this town, being critical of certain aspects, etc., it would be more appropriate and meaningful if we could at least be supportive...since this is an entirely new venture that's never really been done (or so I think) before, giving it a chance and surely then we all can learn or benefit from this new idea whereas perhaps in another time, another such town will be built elsewhere along with 'new' ideas or ways learned from this 'first Deaf town'.

Wouldn't you all agree?

If we can't say anything nice about it, it would be better to put a lid to it for the meantime and/or show some support or at least be encouraging.

On the plus side for this place is the fact it is in 'central' USA, where it may be easier for travelers from both west and the east to get to than if it were placed on either coasts. ;)

Roadrunner said:
For all the reasons we could think of with this town, being critical of certain aspects, etc., it would be more appropriate and meaningful if we could at least be supportive...since this is an entirely new venture that's never really been done (or so I think) before, giving it a chance and surely then we all can learn or benefit from this new idea whereas perhaps in another time, another such town will be built elsewhere along with 'new' ideas or ways learned from this 'first Deaf town'.

Wouldn't you all agree?

If we can't say anything nice about it, it would be better to put a lid to it for the meantime and/or show some support or at least be encouraging.

On the plus side for this place is the fact it is in 'central' USA, where it may be easier for travelers from both west and the east to get to than if it were placed on either coasts. ;)

RR, I can disagree with the underlying mission of this endeavor all I want and the only way I'll be nice about it is by not trying to stop them and live 1500 miles from the place. Somebody needs to take Sociology 101. Heck, we can't even live in harmony here....you get the drift, lol...I'll stop by once a year, maybe, lol
:ily:

Roadrunner said:

I support the idea, at least in principle. I don't like the way they've chosen to execute it, though.

Roadrunner said:

If you don't voice dissent, it's the same as agreeing. People will assume if you keep silent you have no objections. "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" doesn't apply to stuff like this. If you oppose something, you have the right to speak against it, regardless if anyone else agrees with you or even listens to what you have to say.

Where does it actually say that hearing children in this town would not be taught English or speech skills?

BTW, while I hadn't been born yet, my parents lived in North Dakota and I heard some stories about the weather in that place--takes "winter wonderland" a little too far! Then again, maybe SD is a bit more hospitable?

My friend told me that her side of family are building that in South Dakota to become Deaf Town because MOSTLY % of people driving through South Dakota and people will stop in there to eating or whatever like that, they will see that and Deaf People will move there. Thats what she told me, I dont know if its fact or whatever like that. I knew there will become Deaf Town for sure but in that state, I dont know why but she told me that. :dunno:

Rose Immortal said:
Where does it actually say that hearing children in this town would not be taught English or speech skills?

Yikes, that would leave out a large segment of the deaf * HoH population, wouldn't it....if it were true, that is.

BTW, while I hadn't been born yet, my parents lived in North Dakota and I heard some stories about the weather in that place--takes "winter wonderland" a little too far! Then again, maybe SD is a bit more hospitable?

SD's a bit more hospitable. I used to go hunting in both North and South Dakota--evidence of Paul Bunyan and Babe, his blue ox having passed thru those areas is very much in evidence----flat and windy, esp ND--flat from glacial over-runs or whatever you call that phenomenon.

Yeah, I could imagine how you get that poor ox to turn blue, that far north. ;)

BTW, would you mind clearing up who said what in that quote? Makes it look like I replied to myself. ;)

Rose Immortal said:
Yeah, I could imagine how you get that poor ox to turn blue, that far north. ;)

BTW, would you mind clearing up who said what in that quote? Makes it look like I replied to myself. ;)

RoseImmortal, if you mean the first response within, yes, I'd do it cept for my poopy computer skills. I'm sorry.

Teresh said:
If you don't voice dissent, it's the same as agreeing. People will assume if you keep silent you have no objections. "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" doesn't apply to stuff like this. If you oppose something, you have the right to speak against it, regardless if anyone else agrees with you or even listens to what you have to say.

Perhaps I wasn't quite crystal clear with my comments--the point is it's easier for a lot of people to literally 'jump' or 'attack' such a plan with such criticism and that may not be too good...yet, I do agree that we all can disagree with certain elements or ideas related to it without harboring such negative criticism--genearally speaking, I wasn't condoning the 'rights' to agree to disagree here, more of the fact that stockpiling criticism up to a point which could possibly camouflage the real intent or goodness that this 'idea' might incorporate.... ;)

Roadrunner said:
Perhaps I wasn't quite crystal clear with my comments--the point is it's easier for a lot of people to literally 'jump' or 'attack' such a plan with such criticism and that may not be too good...yet, I do agree that we all can disagree with certain elements or ideas related to it without harboring such negative criticism--genearally speaking, I wasn't condoning the 'rights' to agree to disagree here, more of the fact that stockpiling criticism up to a point which could possibly camouflage the real intent or goodness that this 'idea' might incorporate.... ;)

"....jump, attack, stockpiling...." Where? I was just giving an opinion; I don't plan to actively oppose such an endeavor but I do know that I would not live there, that's all. Consider yourself fortunate that I'd be willing to visit on occasion, lol.

First, I wasn't implying to anyone in particular, it's just that it can be the case or the norm (way of life)...so with my recent comments is being implied more toward the overall scheme and direction that this may go in relation to what someone's dream of acheiving...and not being the case as here in AD so far, it's just something you, myself or anyone else for that matter wouldn't want to see happening in here. By now, I'm sure you get the gist of what the underlying point is, if not....guess you'll do just mighty fine being 2,500 miles away from the location and site proposed. :D

sequoias said:

where did it say that it can be below zero in south dakota?

Back