Should the legal drinking age change?

backerman

Reaction score
Everybody knows the basic legal drinking age in 21. But I got to thinking at the age of 18. You need to register for the draft, you can smoke. Even at the age 18 your thought in your own rights as a legal adult.

I'm sure alot of people has heard the old complant and statement: "When your 18 you can die for your country. But you can't have a single beer." Well or something like that. But you get the picture to that statement right?

I really think the legal drinking age should drop down to the age of 18. Just for that single statement right there. I know alot of people already drink illegally anyways. But think about it. As an 18 year old. If decided they can throw a gun in your hand, put you in a plane, and drop you in Iraq to fight. Also you could walk into Speedway or somewhere and get a pack of Cigartees or Cigars and smoke those freely without getting in any trouble.

But in your own opinion do you think the legal drinking age should change or just stay the way it is?

STAY THE WAY AS IT IS! *sorry for yelling* I rather for that to stay that way because it gives ppl more time to GROW UP!

No, I think the law should stay the way it is supposed to be at the age of 21. Those under the age of 21 are most likely to drink too much, being careless. I don't think it's a good idea. :)

Cheri said:
No, I think the law should stay the way it is supposed to be at the age of 21. Those under the age of 21 are most likely to drink too much, being careless. I don't think it's a good idea. :)
yea i agree with u... i rather stay the age of 21....

Better stick with 21 minimum because (no offense) Americans are not too smart and they drink and don't follow the laws, the ones who couldn't wait til 21 years old. They go really wild and are not careful with what they do.

also whoever is adult and still give beers and etc to under 21 u know what i mean??? but not for me cuz of i dont wanna be in trouble

I would rather stay at the age of 21 even though there are teens still drinking regardless of how old they are. I still think it should stay with 21

I think 21 is too old to wait for their legal age to drink alcohlic. I feel sorry for American to wait this long!! :beer:

In Australia, with parental consent children age 14 to 17 is allowed to drink alcohlic drinks at private functions, private parties, camping etc.

I bought some cruiser bottles and gave it to my daughters to drink at the parties. My daughters are fine afterwards they are 15 and 14 in ages. Cruiser has a low level of alcohlic content.

18 is the legal age to drink in Australia and the United Kingdom.

In the UK, any 14 years old children are allowed to order alcohlic beers unaccompanied (without parents/guardian) IF they order with a meal from the Pubs!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_drinking_age

The link is interested to see different countries' legal age of drinking alcohlic, and it is surprised me to see about China's!

Tamara said:
I think 21 is too old to wait for their legal age to drink alcohlic. I feel sorry for American to wait this long!! :beer:

In Australia, with parental consent children age 14 to 17 is allowed to drink alcohlic drinks at private functions, private parties, camping etc.

I bought some cruiser bottles and gave it to my daughters to drink at the parties. My daughters are fine afterwards they are 15 and 14 in ages. Cruiser has a low level of alcohlic content.

18 is the legal age to drink in Australia and the United Kingdom.

In the UK, any 14 years old children are allowed to order alcohlic beers unaccompanied (without parents/guardian) IF they order with a meal from the Pubs!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_drinking_age

The link is interested to see different countries' legal age of drinking alcohlic, and it is surprised me to see about China's!

Why should you feel sorry for the Americans? I know that most Americans parents are happy with the age of 21 being the legal age to drink. It really sickens me to see them allowing 14 to 17 years old kids to drink. They are still in school geez! What if they got drunk and missed school? They may become alcoholics and fail in school if they don't study hard enough. They are the ones that you should feel sorry for.

backerman said:
Everybody knows the basic legal drinking age in 21. But I got to thinking at the age of 18. You need to register for the draft, you can smoke. Even at the age 18 your thought in your own rights as a legal adult.

I'm sure alot of people has heard the old complant and statement: "When your 18 you can die for your country. But you can't have a single beer." Well or something like that. But you get the picture to that statement right?

I really think the legal drinking age should drop down to the age of 18. Just for that single statement right there. I know alot of people already drink illegally anyways. But think about it. As an 18 year old. If decided they can throw a gun in your hand, put you in a plane, and drop you in Iraq to fight. Also you could walk into Speedway or somewhere and get a pack of Cigartees or Cigars and smoke those freely without getting in any trouble.

But in your own opinion do you think the legal drinking age should change or just stay the way it is?

This explain perfectly why I feel sorry for this American adult (18) to wait for their 21st birthday to allow to drink alcohlic, despite the fact they are old enough to go to war, married, buy a house, smoking, become a parent, voting, drive a car (I don't know how old american are allow to drive?).

As a parent I make sure to let my girls to drink as long as it has LOW alcohlic content, I won't let them to drink stronger like spirits etc, it must be on SATURDAY only at special occassions - not every saturdays for casual drinks etc. Yes it is my responsible to make sure my girls are sensible to handle with it and open minded.

I rather to keep the laws as the way it is, by allowing kids to drink at the age of 21..

And if the law changed to the age of 18 then what will happen during the poem night? many kids might end up getting killed from drinking and driving... :-o

Also some foods like sherry jelly trifle, brandy custard, brandy cream has low alcohlic inside and no one minded about children eating it.

^Angel^ said:
I rather to keep the laws as the way it is, by allowing kids to drink at the age of 21..

And if the law changed to the age of 18 then what will happen during the poem night? many kids might end up getting killed from drinking and driving... :-o

poem night? ohhhh you mean PROM night? I know what you mean. Grrr! I do not like that. I rather for the law to stay the way it is. PERIOD!

With the way kids today are behaving immorally in our schools and our streets. I would want the laws to be at 21 years old. In the old days, it used to be 18 years old and the kids had better moral values & respect. The only place in America that still allows the 18 year old alochol purchase policy is in a Southern state , Lousiana. You have to be a resident of Lousiana and be 18 years old to purchase something to drink.

Just to be on the cautious side, it's prolly best, overall, to leave the age at 21. But on the other hand, if young men can go to war and kill people, vote, etc........hmmmmm....food for thought.

DeafGeorgiaLady said:
poem night? ohhhh you mean PROM night? I know what you mean. Grrr! I do not like that. I rather for the law to stay the way it is. PERIOD!

:lol: I have no clue why I put poem instead of prom, forgive me, yes prom night Thank ya! :hug:

The drinking age should be lowered. Keeping it at 21 simply criminalizes those people who will try to drink before the age of 21, and they will do it secretly instead of openly like those at 21. Therefore, I strongly support lowering the age of drinking to 16 and upping the age of driving to 18.

The problem ya'll are missing is that people are ALREADY DRIVING and UNABLE TO HANDLE the problem of adding DRINKING to the equation. Reverse the trend and you'll see a reduction in deaths from driving.

FYI!!! There have been talk hoovering few years ago about raising to 25!!! I don't care about this, but I believe 21 years is good age for the law. The real reason behind this is that generally those who under 21 yrs old start to drive, and they tend to try booze, this lead to deadly combination. That is why we need young drivers off booze for them to experience and see themselves why booze isn't good combination with behind the wheel.

For years, Pennsylvania and New Yawk state fought each other. PA have never allowed under 21 yrs old since end of Prohibation. New York State allowed 18 yrs old. Problem is those 18 - 20 years old pennsylvania tend to cross the state line to get booze then drive drunk back. Sure plenty of innocent people got killed over this!

So, now all state requires minimum 21 years old, as per federal law. It is gonna to be here to STAY!

Another good reason for this very good law. Most student graduate before they reach 21st birthday. We don't want these 18 - 20 yrs olds bring to booze and share with their classmate. it is a BIG NO NO!

Dennis said:
Therefore, I strongly support lowering the age of drinking to 16.

:shock: That's crazy! No 16 years olds are mature enough to drink. :crazy:

Back