Should the legal drinking age change?

Under the German law parents can authorize their kids' alcohol at any age. From the age of 16 teenagers are entitled to buy alcohol up to 15% Vol. This includes beer, wine, sparkling wine & hard lemonades. Hard liquor, etc are from 18 years old. In Europe, most parents can sit down with their child and have a beer or glass of wine in the privacy.

I don´t understand why there´re high drug users in USA than Europe when there´re strict law in America? Why? BECAUSE it´s easier for under 21s to get illegal drugs cheaper than alcohol because the dealers do not check their ID. It´s no good.

I beleive it´s meanfuling for teenagers to learn how to handle the responsible than late. If you start drinking at 21, you´re going to have problems, because you´re new at it. If you start drinking at 18, you´re going to have problems because you´re new at it.
The young people learn to improve their mistakes is a part of growing up. They will never learn if you keep on punish or forbidden them etc. They will go with wrong crowd to try anything out of curiously. It´s too depression atmosphere when they hide more from strict law, rules, force to lie etc. It could lead them drugs or drinking problems. That´s why I beleive early drinking models devellopment is the best result is a socializing with alcohol are safer than the strict laws. Teenagers could have a very positive and learn their development what right or wrong than learn later. How? Educating younger drinkers how to do it responsibly. Its teach moderatoin and responsible drinking at at very early age.

We have strict and severe harsh punishment including the loss of driving license for break traffic law accord German law, that´s why the people know their drinking limits when they are driving. Penalties for drunks driving start with blood alcohol limit as low as 0.03. If you have an accident due drinking or drugs means is ban driving license for long years or forever. The people know if they want drinking then not drive - also not under influence of drugs, too because it´s illegal.

One thing, I donät understand why US teenagers are allow to drive at an early age but why can´t they also to be responsible about drinking and driving at an earlier age? I would say age 18. I can´t see the sense why the US government makes it look like they have no trust in their youth people?

We have wines, spirits and beers in our basement because we are wine lovers. My children never touch them because they knows that they are free to taste wine or beer whatever they like when they see us drink. We let our children drink with meals if they really want to ( in the moment they don´t like wines and beer). Remember, beer and wine were foods.

Of course we are going to teach our childre to drink responsiblly. We rather have our children party at our house than out in the boonies with wrong crowd ....

^Angel^ said:
Drinking should never be compared to allowing to drive, get married, be a parents, smoke, etc.....Kids at the age of 18 intend to drink as they party on for hours, and if American would have change the law back to allowing 18 years old to drink, then we will be seeing more and more accident from drinking and driving, yet I don't want any of my children to be the next victims, and I'm sure none of you here would want anything to happen to your children or your loves ones.... :Ohno:

No, I do not compare drinking with drive, marriage, etc.... but it´s legal I´m talking about because age 18 is legal in your country and then wait for other 3 years because of that legal drinking.

For kids who are 18 wants to have a glass of wine or beer for their wedding, then maybe they should wait until the age of 21 to get married, that way divorces wouldn't be so high when young kids intend to get married to quickly without thinking, is this what I really want?....They have a whole life ahead of them, and they should spending that time by following their dreams yet they jump to quick by tieing a knot, and later on in life, they wish they never got married in the first place.... :dunno:

Yes, that´s right - I would not want my children to get married an earlier age but enjoy their life first, too BUT we should aware that most young people getting married under 21 years old for reasons etc. etc.

I am parent of 19 and 23 years old, I do not see any difference between them. Both are adult and they are on their own. I think they should lower age drinking to 18. Many 18, 19, 20 years old dies for us in Iraq, in the army there age drinking limited is 18.

U wanna to know truth, all age under 25 years old are not mature so what is difference if they drink at 18 or 25?

Only reason they want age limit is about money. Lawmakers are looking for making money so fine those young adults for break their laws and collect their money.

It is all about political and control.

Even Prez Bush was irresponsible for dui at older age.

backerman said:
Everybody knows the basic legal drinking age in 21. But I got to thinking at the age of 18. You need to register for the draft, you can smoke. Even at the age 18 your thought in your own rights as a legal adult.

I'm sure alot of people has heard the old complant and statement: "When your 18 you can die for your country. But you can't have a single beer." Well or something like that. But you get the picture to that statement right?

I really think the legal drinking age should drop down to the age of 18. Just for that single statement right there. I know alot of people already drink illegally anyways. But think about it. As an 18 year old. If decided they can throw a gun in your hand, put you in a plane, and drop you in Iraq to fight. Also you could walk into Speedway or somewhere and get a pack of Cigartees or Cigars and smoke those freely without getting in any trouble.

But in your own opinion do you think the legal drinking age should change or just stay the way it is?

i agree with u. if ur old enough to go and die for ur country, ur old enough to have a beer. and it doesn't really matter if we change the drinking age to 45, people are still going to drink underage. the legal age right now is 21. i started drinking about 17. hell, there are kids out there who drink at age 12. so it doesn't really matter what the legal drinking age is. but yeah i feel it should be changed to 18

Cheri said:
:shock: That's crazy! No 16 years olds are mature enough to drink. :crazy:

No, sure they are. If you make something taboo, the more kids will try it because they are curious and want to be like adults. The less taboo society makes it, the less people will do it secretly in order to hide from the law. The more restrictive you make the law, the harder people will try to hide it, and that leads to MORE killings and deaths.

For what it's worth, I DON'T DRINK except with one person I only see every 2 years. I dislike the taste of beer, liquor, wine, and coolers. But I can see how other people do like it and do it to get out of control and smashed, and they usually get over it after trying it once or twice legally. The allure is no longer there. There's no excitement in trying to get away with being the only 21 year old in a mostly underage crowd.

wow interesting website...

canada legal drinking age is 19, except for three province, quebec, alberta and manitoba.

i don't really have any opinion about the legal age really. Most people drink younger than the legal age anyway, so really no point of having a age limit.

Dennis said:
No, sure they are. If you make something taboo, the more kids will try it because they are curious and want to be like adults. The less taboo society makes it, the less people will do it secretly in order to hide from the law. The more restrictive you make the law, the harder people will try to hide it, and that leads to MORE killings and deaths.

For what it's worth, I DON'T DRINK except with one person I only see every 2 years. I dislike the taste of beer, liquor, wine, and coolers. But I can see how other people do like it and do it to get out of control and smashed, and they usually get over it after trying it once or twice legally. The allure is no longer there. There's no excitement in trying to get away with being the only 21 year old in a mostly underage crowd.

Yes, I second that.

well well i believe alot of teenagers want to curious to drink what is like. i had drink when i was like 13 or 14.. but don't get drunk when i was 17..

but for the drinking responsitily should be 21, no matter what.

I think it's should change to 25 that way more responsitily and no high stats of drunk drivers or college parties.

europeans or canadians, hey is absinthe illegal in europe ? down here it is illegal...

sorry it is off topic... :dunno:

:eek: What's so fun about getting drunk out of your mind at the age of 16?

Do you realized that at 18 many youth leave the home, going away in college, there's gotta be alcohol serving in college on weekends, You've seen how many college youth had been date raped? Those youths aren't intelligent to make best decisions on their own. Who are going to make sure they are safe? They don't care about anybody, They're too busy party hard. Do you want drunken students put themselves or others at risk on the roads? They're still kids, It would be parents worst nightmare recovering that their youth die in a result of alcohol-related. It would really be heart-wrenching. We have to be the one living with it, not them, they are dead. It is a serious situation. I don't want to see youths having the opportunity to curious what's it's like to drink, Once they get on it, It'll be harder to get off of it, and it might lead them into drugs as well. When people drink, They don't think straight, alcohol controls their mind and they're going to do something really foolish.

Same thing at the night of the prom, Parents educated us about possible serving alcohol after the prom, wanted us to make sure we know what would happen what are the risks. But, if you think allowing 16 years old to drink, We cannot talk to them about risks involving alcohol when it's legal for them to drink. Who's going to save those youths? It's a sad situation. Don't act surprise if they end up in some emergency room. That's why I think they are too young to know what's right, what's wrong, What can happen when they start drinking. Age of 21 is the right age to start because that's when they know more about life, meaning they know what can happen to them when they do drink. Youths do stupid things, and I don't want to see them getting killed for their stupidity actions. :thumb:

deafclimber said:
europeans or canadians, hey is absinthe illegal in europe ? down here it is illegal...

sorry it is off topic... :dunno:

No, Absinth is a legal in most Europe countries but with mg limit. It should be level of 30 to 35 mg per liter of thujone. Absinith is a herbal liqueur made of wormwood. Absinth is quite popular in some parts of Germany and Austria.
Absinith is ideal recipes for make cocktails.

You can add sugar in Absinith liqueur if the taste is bitter to you and also add some water or juices in it.

Why Absinth is an illegal in America?

I just found the interesting link for you...
http://www.originalabsinthe.com/absinthe_faq.php

Sorry, I has to disagree with you, Cheri.

The young people can learn how to handle responsible only if they receive their parental´s education. Teach them at early age is the best like sex education because they relate to health issue.

Liebling:-))) said:
Sorry, I has to disagree with you, Cheri.

The young people can learn how to handle responsible only if they receive their parental´s education. Teach them at early age is the best like sex education because they relate to health issue.

How can you teach them? If it's legal to drink at the age of 16 or 18? They are going to tell you, Mom I can drink anyway I want, It's legal for me to drink. What are you gotta say? Oh shit!? LOL!

Cheri said:
:eek: What's so fun about getting drunk out of your mind at the age of 16?

Do you realized that at 18 many youth leave the home, going away in college, there's gotta be alcohol serving in college on weekends, You've seen how many college youth had been date raped? Those youths aren't intelligent to make best decisions on their own. Who are going to make sure they are safe? They don't care about anybody, They're too busy party hard. Do you want drunken students put themselves or others at risk on the roads? They're still kids, It would be parents worst nightmare recovering that their youth die in a result of alcohol-related. It would really be heart-wrenching. We have to be the one living with it, not them, they are dead. It is a serious situation. I don't want to see youths having the opportunity to curious what's it's like to drink, Once they get on it, It'll be harder to get off of it, and it might lead them into drugs as well. When people drink, They don't think straight, alcohol controls their mind and they're going to do something really foolish.

Same thing at the night of the prom, Parents educated us about possible serving alcohol after the prom, wanted us to make sure we know what would happen what are the risks. But, if you think allowing 16 years old to drink, We cannot talk to them about risks involving alcohol when it's legal for them to drink. Who's going to save those youths? It's a sad situation. Don't act surprise if they end up in some emergency room. That's why I think they are too young to know what's right, what's wrong, What can happen when they start drinking. Age of 21 is the right age to start because that's when they know more about life, meaning they know what can happen to them when they do drink. Youths do stupid things, and I don't want to see them getting killed for their stupidity actions. :thumb:
:gpost: !!!

jazzy said:
U wanna to know truth, all age under 25 years old are not mature so what is difference if they drink at 18 or 25?

I dont really want to comment on the matter of the legal drinking age. However I kinda find this statement degrading. I am 21 and I think myself to be fairly mature. I do not think maturity level lies in the hands of age. It rest upon your perspective of all around. How you react to things, what you have experienced, the ability to know right from wrong, and execute them in the proper manner. I know you might not have meant your statement to down others, but since I was hit hard with it, I felt I should share my point of view. Also how you were raised, and your morals that were set forth to you also plays the biggest role in ones level of maturity..

Since I turned in 21 yrs old in July 2005. So, I consider that law should keep 21 years old to allow drinking but I dont think its good idea to change to 18 yrs old since because mostly people who are under of 18 yrs old tend to be friends with 18 yrs old people because I remember I used to smoking cigs when I was underage and asked my friends who are 18 yrs old for cigs. So they can ask their friends for wine, beer etc like that if laws change to 18 yrs old.. I dont think its good idea. But all of schools should have education for kids to learning abt drunking and driving since I dont have ONE at my school and my best friend learned abt it and knew abt it, of course I knew abt it but why not all of schools have that so we can learn something abt it and we will know why and understand? :dunno: I just wanted to tell ya'll abt it..

Since, I have a friend who died by drunking and driving. He was only 19 yrs old. He did drinking some of beer and got in car accident, he is not driving, his friend is but she did DRINK one bottle of beer. Another truck whose hit that car where my friend in was VERY drunk and hes only 23 yrs old. So, all of them(a man who drove the truck, a girl who drove in the car and another guy in the car with them) plus kids who bought beers got in jail for that happened. Everybody felt bad abt it. I knew him for whole of my life since I born. I want all of schools to having that education like healthy, sex, etc. Why not they have edcaution for drunking and driving? Teach kids abt it so they will learn. Even show them how feel during they get in car accident if they are drink and explain them abt that stuffs like that even if they want someone speech abt their experience drunking and driving. Since my friend killed by that. I consider schools should have that... I will understand if some of you disagree with me but I thought they should do that.. Since, I heard abt that in Wisconsin School of the Deaf(I think or another I forgot which one) have that education and they did watch the movie and see how they get hurt, bleed, etc like that. They learned alot abt it.. So... I think should be stay 21 yrs old because mostly of % people who turn in 21 and they are adult and reponsibility more than 18 yrs old people.. Thats why I think its better idea. Thanks :)

Tousi said:
Just to be on the cautious side, it's prolly best, overall, to leave the age at 21. But on the other hand, if young men can go to war and kill people, vote, etc........hmmmmm....food for thought.

It does give someone something to think about, definitely. As for myself, I would also be in favor of the drinking age staying the same.

And, I know this is :topic:, but I also would like to see a more uniformed legal age of consent. There's too much of a discrepancy from state to state in this country. I really wish the 50 States would all agree on ONE legal age of consent and go with that. It would make things much simpler in my mind.

"Don't drink until you're 21, now try to figure out your drinking limits" is worse than "See how much you really like drinking when you're young, now you know your limits before you get out on the street and drive."

Dennis said:
"Don't drink until you're 21, now try to figure out your drinking limits" is worse than "See how much you really like drinking when you're young, now you know your limits before you get out on the street and drive."

Or, you can do what I did. Try it once and decide you hate the taste of alcohol, and you wouldn't put the crap in your mouth if you were paid a million dollars to do so! :lol:

That's actually true of me and beer. I can't stand the taste of it. As for wine and sweet drinks, I do like those, but I'm not one to over indulge. Truth be told, I hate the feeling of being drunk, so I simply don't go there.

I know I'm weird. I accept that.

:cheers:

Dennis said:

How does that supposed to help? I've heard some underage steal vehicles when they aren't 16 yet nor haven't learned to drive yet. You think when they drink they won't do anything foolish? Think again. Once they take a glass of any alcohol beverage, they are going to keep on drinking until they are messed up in the head. That doesn't solve anything. Curiously gets you in deep sh*t. Not worth it, not to me it isn't. ;)

Back