How Old is the Earth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beowulf

Premium Member
Reaction score
I am just curious. I have talked to friends who say that Earth is billions of years old, and others who say that it is just thousands of years old.
Rather confusing, don't you think?
What say you?
And by the way, thay are ALL still my friends, regardless of their beliefs.

Beowulf said:
I am just curious. I have talked to friends who say that Earth is billions of years old, and others who say that it is just thousands of years old.
What say you?
Billions years? No! The Bible teaches us that the earth is 7,000 years old.

I have very simple answer...

It's the oldest of all! Nothing else on earth is older than the earth!

Beowulf said:
What say you?

Biblical scripture estimated that the Earth is about 13,000 years old. Scientific estimated it is roughly 4 billions years old.

Biblical passages mentioned the time of God's creations. That's 6 days. If you search of its' meaning of "day", it is equal to 1,000 years. So, 6,000 years of creation time and a day of rest PLUS 4,000 BC for the start of Adam PLUS 2000 AD for today's date. The total age of this Earth is 13,000. Remember, it is my own belief.

Scientific does two things:
1) Carbon-dating device. Measuring carbon-dated materials of the oldest materials found on Earth. By figuring out the number of splitting atoms give you the reading of its age.
2) Astronomy. Astronomers calculated the speed of time on creation of a galaxy. Consider ours as the youngest of all! :-o: The farthest galaxy is 15 billion light-years away. That galaxy is 15 bill old! Geez, very very old! :laugh2:

~DV

But why us,, if the Scientists are right? Why we are the only Earth in space?
How come Mars don't have any people there? If the elements know
what it is doing? :ugh2:

Miss*Pinocchio said:
But why us,, if the Scientists are right? Why we are the only Earth in space?
How come Mars don't have any people there? If the elements know
what it is doing? :ugh2:

Few things:

1) Mars is too cold (-22F). :cold: Venus is too hot (400F). Earth is just right.

2) Our Sun is a "star". :cool:

3) There are zillions of "stars" in the night sky.

4) Each of the "star" has planets of their own. Some stars don't.

5) Those "star" planets are called exoplanets.

6) We have found 145 exoplanets so far and is counting. See the link. :applause:

7) Are we alone? No. It is because the scripture says there are other living Earthly-like worlds among those "stars". :thumb:

8) Can we be able to contact them? No, because it too far away and we don't know of their civilization in the dispensation of time. :tears: Theirs could be in the year of 1000 BC and don't have a radio like us. For example, it takes a radio transmission to reach Saturn in 7 hours. The nearest "star" is 4 years. Take this vivid imagination: You posted your message tonight. Can you wait 4 years later until I receive your posting and then replied back in another 4 years? Well, that would takes so long for 8 fringin' years. What if your antenna was pointed at the wrong star when I sent you a message? You missed my message forever, long gone forever! That's what happened to SETI. They suspected that somebody out there are trying to contact us, but we don't know what the frequency bands are (there are million of channels). We assume that we are missing out alot of "potential" messages from them. Hence, we are just blind as bat. :tears:

~DV

^^sun IS a star. That's what a star looks like close up since it's the nearest star we have. The stars come in different colors, red, blue, white and yellow. Sun is moderate star which isn't that hot. The white star is VERY hot and it's bigger than the sun, I think. There are other solar systems out of our system that have different stars that aren't like ours, I'm sure.

I would believe Earth is at least millions or even billions of years old, it takes so long for ecosystem and erosion to change, the erosion from the waterfalls takes forever, u can't even measure it with your own eye. It would probably take a few inches at the most a year for it to erode back and create a river down below the valley. Same goes with the Colorado river in the Southwest united states, it takes so many years to erode, water has the power to erode the land. Volcanos have the power to create land and layers of new rock and such, and so on. They all make sense to me, the bible don't make sense to me because 7,000 years is too short for all this. We still have lot to learn about the Earth and its mysteries. One day, somebody may invent better tools to measure age and better studies to the past of this Earth life. :)

So if the Sun is a star, how come there are many falling stars?
Will the Sun become falling star and we will be doom?

^^
stars do not fall. The comets and meteors do that. The stars don't do that. They just explode then die out and dissappear in the sky.

:confused:

I thought you all know that it´s God who created the earth. Right? Did you know how old earth is?

Well, it´s around 1,700 years later after Adam´s creation, Noah Ark and the great Flood comes and also more thousand years later Jesus Christ born.

Jesus is 2005 years old. It means that the earth created by God millions years ago.

God made the sun to give us light by day, and the moon and stars so we can have some light at night.

God made the earth for us to live on.

But the sun, moon, stars and the earth were not the first things God made. Do you know what was the first? God first made perons like himself. We can´t see these persons, just as we can´t see God. In the Bilble these persons are called angels. god made the angels to live wiht himself in heaven.

The first angel God made was very special. He was God´s first Son, and he worked with her Father. He helped God to make all other things. He helped God to make the sun, moon, stars and also our earth.

What was the earth like then? In the beginning no one could live on earth. There was nothing but one big ocean of water all over the land. But God wanted people to live on earth. So he began to get things ready for us. What did he do?

Well, first the earth needed light. So God made the light from the sun to shine on the earth. He made it so there could be both nighttime and daytime. Afterward God caused land to come up above the water of the ocean.

At first there was nothing on the land. It looked like the picture you see here. There were no flowers, trees or animals. There were not even any fish in the oceans. God has a lot more work to do to make the earth really nice for animals and people to live on.

God made green grass to cover the land. And he made all kinds of small plants, bushes, trees.

You see that God made everything from fishes to birds..... until God see something what he missing... human...

God took some dust from the ground and with it he formed a perfect body is Adam. It´s Adam who name every animals like "lion, fish, etc..."

God made Adman fall into sleep & took a rib bone from his side and made it into woman = Eve.

Why not just accept that God made the Earth? Why spend so much money to find out if we are the only people in the Universe?
Let those people from other planets to discover us.

Liebling:-))) said:
...The first angel God made was very special. He was God´s first Son, and he worked with her Father. He helped God to make all other things. He helped God to make the sun, moon, stars and also our earth.
Jesus is not a created being, nor is He an angel. He is equal with God, and has been present since eternity. Jesus didn't "help" God create the universe. Jesus Himself created the universe.

sequoias said:
...I would believe Earth is at least millions or even billions of years old, it takes so long for ecosystem and erosion to change, the erosion from the waterfalls takes forever, u can't even measure it with your own eye. It would probably take a few inches at the most a year for it to erode back and create a river down below the valley. Same goes with the Colorado river in the Southwest united states, it takes so many years to erode, water has the power to erode the land. Volcanos have the power to create land and layers of new rock and such, and so on. They all make sense to me, the bible don't make sense to me because 7,000 years is too short for all this. We still have lot to learn about the Earth and its mysteries. One day, somebody may invent better tools to measure age and better studies to the past of this Earth life. :)
When God created the universe (which I believe was thousands of years ago, not millions or billions), He created it as an old universe. For example, in the Garden of Eden, God created full-size trees, not saplings. He made full-grown birds, not eggs. He made a mature man (Adam), not a baby. After all, He is God, and He designed it all, so He can make it whatever way He wants.

Also, some erosion and chages in our ecosystem can happen quicker than we used to believe. If you look at areas such as Mt. St. Helen's and see how quickly much of the area recovered after the big eruption, you can see that example. Also, when I was in Equador, our guide showed us huge lakes that just "appeared" over night after earthquakes happened in the mountain areas. Remember how dramatically the surface changed after the tsunami? That was very quick.

Just something to think about. :)

Well, I read that solar system is about 4.55 billion years, but the earth where they recovered oldest rocks that were found on earth were couple billion of years ago.(even when the earth was hot, it took time to cool off then had the ocean) Some people are forgetting about fossils that they recovered that appeared billion of years ago, which of the following animals (elephants, horses, rhinos, rats and monkeys and more) And Over the years of history God went on to create the plants, the animals, and then man and woman. How is it possible that earth is only just thousand of years old? :mrgreen:

sequoias said:
^^sun IS a star. That's what a star looks like close up since it's the nearest star we have. The stars come in different colors, red, blue, white and yellow. Sun is moderate star which isn't that hot. The white star is VERY hot and it's bigger than the sun, I think. There are other solar systems out of our system that have different stars that aren't like ours, I'm sure.

I would believe Earth is at least millions or even billions of years old, it takes so long for ecosystem and erosion to change, the erosion from the waterfalls takes forever, u can't even measure it with your own eye. It would probably take a few inches at the most a year for it to erode back and create a river down below the valley. Same goes with the Colorado river in the Southwest united states, it takes so many years to erode, water has the power to erode the land. Volcanos have the power to create land and layers of new rock and such, and so on. They all make sense to me, the bible don't make sense to me because 7,000 years is too short for all this. We still have lot to learn about the Earth and its mysteries. One day, somebody may invent better tools to measure age and better studies to the past of this Earth life. :)

I agree with you, Earth was form the age of the solar system, Of course they had no humans there because, there were not enough oxygen for anyone to live.

Cheri said:
...How is it possible that earth is only just thousand of years old?
It is very possible for the earth (and the whole universe) to be 6-8 thousand years old. God created the universe to have an old appearance (see my previous post). Man's way of measuring rock and fossil age is not completely accurate. Fossils are formed during quick cataclysmic action, such as during the great flood of Noah. It doesn't take millions of years for these things to happen.

Even the so-called "experts" of evolution can't agree with each other. If it were that simple to measure scientifically, then how come the scientists don't even agree? Much of what they do is "guessing", not knowing as facts.

I like all the opinions expressed here in this thread. It is a very interesting subject, and a lot of controversy surrounds it. I think there are big errors on both sides, science and religion. I believe the earth is much younger than science believes. I believe it is much older than religion teaches. I believe that truth lies somewhere between.

Geologists are still revising their dating methods. Most of the time, they rely on associated carbon based material for their dating. If, for instance, a certain plant material (pollen, etc.) is found in a layer of clay on top of a type of rock layer, then that must also date similar rock across the globe. However, this is often a false assumption. Fossiles are dated the same way. Perhaps the universe is much older than few million years. Perhaps the earth is.

Theologians argue over the meaning of "day" in Genesis. Many accept the commonly held belief that a literal translation says that (2 Peter 3:8)
"But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.", therefore, creation from void to finish took six thousand years. But this is not the context in which Peter was speaking.

An illustration of a similar misunderstanding is when Jesus is talking to Peter about the founding of the Church (body of believers, not an organized religion or a temple). (Matthew 16:18)
"And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it." The Greek words for Peter and rock, pebble, stone, boulder, etc. are remarkably similar. In context, I believe Peter was being named a small rock, but his faith expreessed in the Truth of the Christ was bedrock, huge boulder capable of supporting an immense foundation.

Date setters and others who try to predict or divine the timeline expressed in the Bible are most often in error. And so is a lot of science. In order for something to be a scientific fact, it has to be proven by repeating through experimentation. Until then it is just a theory.

We humans have an enormous capacity for thought and reason. And we are constantly tempted to redefine God and His creation in terms we can relate to in our limited experience. IMHO, that makes God awfully small if our comparatively insignificant intellegence can really understand Him. Creation was a part of his plan for mankind. While we are told many things about creation, we are too small in our human perspectives to see it clearly.

In the end, it really doesn't matter a hill of beans whether creation took a hundred billion years or a literal week. It is not a "salvation issue". Acceptance of the perfect sacrifice is.

The religon thing isn't going to make me believe in it. I'll see how fast earth changes for myself. :P Do what u guys believe in, I can believe in what I believe. ;)

Million/billion years old ? :eek: No way ! Impossible. That's scientists' opinions, not God's.
I believe it is 7, 000 years old. That's about it all I know. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back