What kind of job do you have ?

kayy55

Reaction score
Just curious to see if some of us still have regular jobs or have been unemployed due to our situation.

I worked behind a cash register at a small grocery store for about two and a half years. Worked my way to head of the meat/deli counter, and eventually to manager (not General Manager, just manager of the cashiers.) Ended up being fired from there due to my medical situation (the vertigo portion of Menier's, not the hearing loss.) Immediately got a job 6 days later as a cashier at a gas station/corner store. If any of you have ever worked at a gas station, you know that EVERYTHING beeps to tell you what is going on, not good for someone with bad hearing loss, so I quit 4 days after starting (and I gave up my shot at unemployment from my first job by taking that job.) Two weeks later I got a job at a dollar store stocking shelves. I specifically told the manager that I didn't want to run the cash register because communication was just too much of an issue. About a month after I was hired, two people quit at the same time. The manager didn't see the point of hiring a new cashier because I had almost three years of experience, so she told me I could run the register or I was fired. I ran the register, which wasn't as bad as I thought. All of the customers knew me from the 2+ years I worked at the only grocery store for twenty miles, so they were pretty relaxed about my hearing. That being said, as soon as the manager at the dollar store hired new cashiers, she had no use for the HOH guy, so I got the boot. That was five months ago or so. Now I am just waiting on my disability claim to get approved - hopefully.

Oh wow. It's just crazy how fast things can happen, you know. & how frustrating it is for someone to work in this type of situation

Oh wow. It's just crazy how fast things can happen, you know. & how frustrating it is for someone to work in this type of situation

Just, it is not less frustrating when you have been living your whole life in "this type of situation".

There is another way... A better way.
Turn your disability into your greatest ability.

I'm a cashier and business center rep at my local grocery store. I struggle daily because of my hearing losses but manage to do the job good enough or they wouldn't keep me, I suppose.. I'd like to find a job that doesn't require me to hear but I don't know what that would be or I don't have the qualifications.

I am a stay at home mom to a 19 yr old college student with Asperger's and OCD, a soon to be graduating 17 yr old, ready to go to a 4 yr college, and a 15 yr old thinking she's an adult.. Bwahahaha !! That's my job!

Me, what do I do for living? Basically, screwing an insurance company. Dunno how long, hopefully not too long.

I am a Special Ed teacher. Thats why I dont come on AD much anymore like I used to. The teaching field has become more demanding so I use whatever free time to rest and watch tv. I am here on AD because I am taking an online course to get credits towards my certification renewal so I am going back and forth between my class readings and AD.

What you mean? Yes, that is what I am doing so far. Its good so far... problem?

Disagreed? Can we trade with specific body part? I would love to! Im sick of this, trust me on that one.

Seriously, is that your job? :lol: If you deserve it, then you deserve it. Good luck!

What you mean? Yes, that is what I am doing so far. Its good so far... problem?

Disagreed? Can we trade with specific body part? I would love to! Im sick of this, trust me on that one.
OK, to clarify what I said before, if the insurance company owes you legally but they refuse to pay you, then you should be paid. That's what I meant, "If you deserve it, then you deserve it.".

Oh yea, they tend to try screw people like me and they lost every time so far.

OK, to clarify what I said before, if the insurance company owes you legally but they refuse to pay you, then you should be paid. That's what I meant, "If you deserve it, then you deserve it.".

I am not trying to be captious, you see because some people think that they don't have it fair because of a disability they have, everyone to me has a disability. Instead of looking for a job create jobs, become independent, become an entrepreneur. I have teamed up with members of the ASL community. If any of you meed help, it doesn't matter whether you are hearing, deaf, hard of hearing, or whatever. I believe anyone can do anything they set their minds to. It is better teaming and and working together.

I am not trying to be captious, you see because some people think that they don't have it fair because of a disability they have, everyone to me has a disability. Instead of looking for a job create jobs, become independent, become an entrepreneur. I have teamed up with members of the ASL community. If any of you meed help, it doesn't matter whether you are hearing, deaf, hard of hearing, or whatever. I believe anyone can do anything they set their minds to. It is better teaming and and working together.

How can any of us set their minds to anything in a world as HEARING as that in which we live in? Teaming up is not easy when the others have no intention in working together with the deaf individual; many will only see your deafness and never know how clever or capable you can be.
Not everyone is as "open-minded" as you say you are. What's it that you do? Let me know if I can join you.

:lol:Youth and complete ignorance! What a charming combination.

:barf:

How can any of us set their minds to anything in a world as HEARING as that in which we live in? Teaming up is not easy when the others have no intention in working together with the deaf individual; many will only see your deafness and never know how clever or capable you can be.
Not everyone is as "open-minded" as you say you are. What's it that you do? Let me know if I can join you.

I agree..I work with hearing people and the ignorance is just absurd! Also, these are college educated professionals and yet, they treat me like I am not as capable as they are. Luckily my supervisor and my mentor don't treat me that way so that's why I ignore the other people who talk to me like I am a child or dumb. I talk back to them like they are dumb and don't make any effort to go out of my way to chat with them. I keep it to a minimum as much as I can. I seek those who treat me with respect and there are a precious few of them at my work. It is unfortunate that it is not the other way around.

I'm a cashier and business center rep at my local grocery store. I struggle daily because of my hearing losses but manage to do the job good enough or they wouldn't keep me, I suppose.. I'd like to find a job that doesn't require me to hear but I don't know what that would be or I don't have the qualifications.
Are you deaf or hoh? I used to work as a cashier for a supermarket in my teenage years. I'm hoh and I remember having a hard time understanding customers, especially when the place got crowded.

Back