Cochlear Implantation Surgery 7/28/15

Scott, Nirvana isn't "new".

Yeah shel it's way too early for music to sound anything but bloody awful to you. I'm surprised at how well I can hear my old favorites, I really didn't expect it. Just all of a sudden it sounded better. Last Saturday actually. There's music playing constantly at my spa and last Saturday it finally sounded like it was supposed. Music is rather an exaggerated term for what they play. It's mostly flutes and something that sounds like chimes. There's no melody, just random notes held by different flutes with chimes interspersed between them. It's pretty ugh, but sounds better than what I was hearing. For the first 3 weeks it that "music" sounded more like my tinnitus going ape****, loudly!! I think the aqua pack will be good for working out. I've been lazy all summer. Maybe I'll try my p90x3 vids and I'll be able to hear Tony telling us what to do :)

Its called elevator music. The junk they play in the spa or when a business puts you on hold while on the phone.

And Nirvana still sucks :laugh2:

[ame="www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTBTBj8NEcw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTBTBj8NEcw[/ame]

View attachment 22511
My back back they gave me for all my schtuff
View attachment 22512
The stuff
View attachment 22513
Got a skinit for it, sacred wheel
View attachment 22514
When I went on Monday I picked up my teal processor (they'd messed up my order)
View attachment 22515
Now I'm mixing and matching
View attachment 22516

Oh!!! And the best part!! My first hearing test. This 2.5 weeks post activation

View attachment 22517

This kinda makes me feel better about it

I actually can't wait to get another hearing test to see if or how much it's improved!! :D

At 100%... lol

2002-08-04C.gif

I actually can't wait to get another hearing test to see if or how much it's improved!! :D

No wonder I really didn't enjoy music like I did with my hearing aids today at the festival. Maybe that was why.

I commend you for going, but just as Ambrosia said, it is WAY too early for you. It hasn't even been a week. It was a month before music started to come in. I was pretty excited when I realized I enjoyed a song just as I did through my hearing aid, but with even more there.

I'm betting you'll get the level of enjoyment you had with your hearing aid in time, but I'm also betting you're going to enjoy the additional details you didn't have before.

I commend you for going, but just as Ambrosia said, it is WAY too early for you. It hasn't even been a week. It was a month before music started to come in. I was pretty excited when I realized I enjoyed a song just as I did through my hearing aid, but with even more there.

I'm betting you'll get the level of enjoyment you had with your hearing aid in time, but I'm also betting you're going to enjoy the additional details you didn't have before.

I hope so because I am really not liking having to hear EVERY sound of EVERY thing that moves. Constant noise. I dont know how hearing people do it day in and out. lol

I hope so because I am really not liking having to hear EVERY sound of EVERY thing that moves. Constant noise. I dont know how hearing people do it day in and out. lol

My wife who is a 2nd grade teacher. She says she wishes she could turn them off sometimes

That will normalize over time, but you MUST wear your processor everyday during waking hours for the brain to be able to adjust. In the meantime, you will be sensitive to every noise. I was as well during the first few months, then it just became sounds that were there.

It's a great sign that you are hearing so much!

Update time again. Today I had my second mapping since my activation. It's been like 6.5 weeks. I spaced checking out my hearing test results, would have liked to have gotten a pic and compared to my last one but we were just so excited about my speech discrimination scores. I didn't expect to get one of those yet, but I got 78% right. Wicked impressed with myself!!

I had my 6 month mapping today, also a hearing test and I am doing better than last time with the results.... Glad yours is doing well also Amber ! How do you like it so far? I love it.

Bruno Mars is definitely one you'll want to listen to. I need to get some of his songs but have been putting off getting more tunes. Adele I have is worth the listen too.

I totally agree. Adele's Someone Like You is very clear to understand. Surprises me sometimes considering how deaf I am. I'm sure it will take time for Ambrosia to get used to it, though.

I want to check out Adele- have only heard bits and pieces here and there. There's a couple of ASL videos of one or two of Adele's songs.

That will normalize over time, but you MUST wear your processor everyday during waking hours for the brain to be able to adjust. In the meantime, you will be sensitive to every noise. I was as well during the first few months, then it just became sounds that were there.

It's a great sign that you are hearing so much!

I finally learned how to filter them out and now I am used to it.

Glad things are going well for you, Amber.

Great! Are you noticing more tones/pitch than you were before?

Yea much better than 2 weeks ago.however voices still sound robotic. I hate that. At least lip reading is much easier now so I am happy with that. Still don't understand speech at all without lip reading but Ian used to that anyway so no big deal. I am still mad that I can't hear the bass in music like I did with my hearing aids. I hope I will in the future. I miss that.

Yea much better than 2 weeks ago.however voices still sound robotic. I hate that. At least lip reading is much easier now so I am happy with that. Still don't understand speech at all without lip reading but Ian used to that anyway so no big deal. I am still mad that I can't hear the bass in music like I did with my hearing aids. I hope I will in the future. I miss that.

Your brain is going to continue to adapt so that it will perceive bass. Not quite the same as you were used to, but you'll hear it more than you do now. It's also still very early, so the robotic voices will fade gradually. You are going to continue to hear improvement with pitch perception. I believe in the end you'll be declaring your CI as exceeding your HA with music.

You will understand speech without lip reading. From what you are describing, you are well on that path. It's going to take you by surprise when it starts happening. You are doing awesome, really! So many folks are hearing beeps and nonsense at the stage you are at now. You'll look at lips out of habit, regardless, so you won't realize when you are actually hearing what they are saying. The fact that lip reading is much easier now is due to the cues you are hearing, but not even consciously aware. It was exactly like that for me for the first few weeks. It took picking up the phone for the f**k of it, expecting the usual "wah wah wah" I'd had for years, to have it hit me that I could actually hear speech without lip reading.

It's been 5.5 months since my activation. I had a mapping today, we did a hearing test, which I really wish I'd gotten a copy or pic of, and speech discrimination tests. I got 99% in quiet and 69% in noise. So awesome!!!!

Also we upgraded my Nadia Q70s to the Q90 software and found out I can trade my 110 batteries in for the new batteries that came out with the Q90. They're minis, so the 110 last me like 10ish hours, I can trade them for the 230 minis that are about the same size as the 110s but last all damn day. So cool, so cool!!!

Loving my CI!!!!

It's been 5.5 months since my activation. I had a mapping today, we did a hearing test, which I really wish I'd gotten a copy or pic of, and speech discrimination tests. I got 99% in quiet and 69% in noise. So awesome!!!!

Also we upgraded my Nadia Q70s to the Q90 software and found out I can trade my 110 batteries in for the new batteries that came out with the Q90. They're minis, so the 110 last me like 10ish hours, I can trade them for the 230 minis that are about the same size as the 110s but last all damn day. So cool, so cool!!!

Loving my CI!!!!

Email your audi. Many of them can provide mapping visit records in PDF format according to another site that I get on.

Back