We. Have. A. Big. Problem.

LOL
Ex:
Two deaf couples sign to each other in a subway.
A hearing guy sees them and asks his friend, "What the hell are they doing?".
His friend answers "Oh, they speak their foreign language. I know because I took it in college." A sign language is a foreign language? :hmm:

That's not what I was pointing.

All I can say is that the colleges ****** it up because those colleges are controlled by hearing people. That's what this thread is all about.

In other words, if ASL is a foreign language, they would consider that we, ASLers are foreigners while we are actually Americans.

Reba, can you please share your thought about this?

All I can say is that the colleges ****** it up because those colleges are controlled by hearing people. That's what this thread is all about.

In other words, if ASL is a foreign language, they would consider that we, ASLers are foreigners while we are actually Americans.

Not all ASL signers are yanks...
Canucks use it too...
Anyhoo

Any language you don't know is a foreign language regardless of where you live and what languages are used where you live.

I guess the flip side, of the flip side, is that Deaf can now get other jobs due to the increased ability of hearing people to use ASL. One would think this would be a good trade off as it diversifies the a Deaf person's ability to gain employment.

After all, isn't that the goal of teaching people ASL?

As a hearing person, these are simply my observations and opinions.

One thing--the word "foreign" can also mean unknown, strange, or alien; it doesn't always refer to another country. Examples are:
  • "There was foreign matter in the wound."
  • "Being kind to others was foreign to the cruel man."

As hoichi posted, ASL is used in a few countries other than the USA but it's primarily used here.

Now, as for colleges and ASL, hearing colleges are still behind the learning curve. They aren't all on the same page when it comes to including ASL curricula. That's why some of them put ASL in the foreign language department. The college where I worked put ASL in the early childhood development department. Schools that have ITP's (interpreter training programs) put ASL in the ITP department. Sometimes ASL is included with special ed teacher training. It's all too random.

There is also not enough consistency in programs from one school to another.

I'm afraid there's still a way to go to get ASL into more colleges, and to get the language the educational respect it's due in any widespread manner.

There need to be more ASL instructors from the Deaf community.

There needs to be more teaching about Deaf culture in the ASL classes, and more interaction with the Deaf community for the students (and I don't mean teachers sending students to AD with their questions).

That's my :2c:

As a hearing person, these are simply my observations and opinions.

One thing--the word "foreign" can also mean unknown, strange, or alien; it doesn't always refer to another country. Examples are:
  • "There was foreign matter in the wound."
  • "Being kind to others was foreign to the cruel man."

As hoichi posted, ASL is used in a few countries other than the USA but it's primarily used here.

Now, as for colleges and ASL, hearing colleges are still behind the learning curve. They aren't all on the same page when it comes to including ASL curricula. That's why some of them put ASL in the foreign language department. The college where I worked put ASL in the early childhood development department. Schools that have ITP's (interpreter training programs) put ASL in the ITP department. Sometimes ASL is included with special ed teacher training. It's all too random.

There is also not enough consistency in programs from one school to another.

I'm afraid there's still a way to go to get ASL into more colleges, and to get the language the educational respect it's due in any widespread manner.

There need to be more ASL instructors from the Deaf community.

There needs to be more teaching about Deaf culture in the ASL classes, and more interaction with the Deaf community for the students (and I don't mean teachers sending students to AD with their questions).

That's my :2c:
Thanks for sharing. I appreciate it very much. Yeah, I know about the word, "foreign". For example, a foreign object in your leg is something that doesn't belong to the leg. BTW, ASL belongs to America (even though deaf people in some countries use ASL). I googled it and found one college that puts ASL in language arts which makes more sense to me and another college separates ASL from its foreign language category (sorry for that I didn't remember the links).

As for ASL instructors who are not deaf, that's what Amy's video is all about. In the back of my mind, most colleges except Gally and possibly NTID prefer hearing instructors as per her video. That's sad.

FSL is similar to ASL but BSL is not. Many people think it identical that very far from it..BSL AND ASL are being taught in tandem in some places over here..I can do ASL to certain point and I believe it be classed as forign langage or be communication course rather than forign langage

Their selfish is... save money than rather spend interpreter for deaf ASL teacher. That's problem.

Their selfish is... save money than rather spend interpreter for deaf ASL teacher. That's problem.
Still no excuse because anyone like a doctor or a school can use it as a tax write-off. "$30,000 expense on interpreter services in 2015" is a tax write-off.

... In the back of my mind, most colleges except Gally and possibly NTID prefer hearing instructors as per her video. That's sad.

I am lost on this as it does not make sense to me... Recently have been reading way too much on the history of deaf, education, and special education.. And I have noticed that throughout history, in almost all countries, that this is the case.
If memory severs correctly at one point it does have a small period of time that the deaf do teach the deaf and or sign. During these periods of education. Deaf education success soars...same with when sign in allowed in the classroom vs oral method.... How is this not clear to people.... Or maybe it is and that is the point.

I am lost on this as it does not make sense to me... Recently have been reading way too much on the history of deaf, education, and special education.. And I have noticed that throughout history, in almost all countries, that this is the case.
If memory severs correctly at one point it does have a small period of time that the deaf do teach the deaf and or sign. During these periods of education. Deaf education success soars...same with when sign in allowed in the classroom vs oral method.... How is this not clear to people.... Or maybe it is and that is the point.
The point is that the colleges hire hearing people to teach ASL. Their reason is very obvious. I am shocked that you fail to see it.

The point is that the colleges hire hearing people to teach ASL. Their reason is very obvious. I am shocked that you fail to see it.

You act like I have been around this my whole life hun... And I haven't... I know what people say....but I am odd...I like to formulate my own option with understanding....

Many people say it is to kill deaf culture...and I do see this.... But a man coming from the halfway zipping his fly while a woman behind him is straitening her shirt may have just came from two different rooms...

I freely admit I am learning...I freely admit I do not know jack...if I did ....why would I be here?

At no point to I say I have answers...in fact I generally say the opposite...I am learning and I have a curious mind.... A book is a good start....but to truly learn one must do more than read....

You act like I have been around this my whole life hun... And I haven't... I know what people say....but I am odd...I like to formulate my own option with understanding....

Many people say it is to kill deaf culture...and I do see this.... But a man coming from the halfway zipping his fly while a woman behind him is straitening her shirt may have just came from two different rooms...

I freely admit I am learning...I freely admit I do not know jack...if I did ....why would I be here?

At no point to I say I have answers...in fact I generally say the opposite...I am learning and I have a curious mind.... A book is a good start....but to truly learn one must do more than read....
A book? I suggest you to read one called "Understanding Deaf Culture: In Search of Deafhood."

As for ASL courses, why are there many hearing instructors? Think about it.

I have and I see what everyone is saying... But I also look for possible other answers before I set my mind to the group mind....
As for the book... I may have read that one as well...but not positive have to revisit it before I am willing to say yes or no...

I have and I see what everyone is saying... But I also look for possible other answers before I set my mind to the group mind....
As for the book... I may have read that one as well...but not positive have to revisit it before I am willing to say yes or no...
You don't really remember? LOL

Anyway, PowerOn pointed out that a deaf instructor in an ASL class could have required an interpreter. If I were a hearing CEO of a college without knowledge of a tax write-off, I would not hire a deaf teacher for ASL classes. That's what happens all over in the USA. It's sad that hearing people control it. That's what the OP is all about.

Another example, a lot of deaf people appreciate Sorenson for starting VP up but they complained that no deaf people worked there so the company hired deaf people. Right now I look at this company as a respectful one for the deaf community.

What about colleges that offer ASL courses? Do they respect the deaf community? :hmm:

You don't really remember? LOL

Anyway, PowerOn pointed out that a deaf instructor in an ASL class could have required an interpreter. If I were a hearing CEO of a college without knowledge of a tax write-off, I would not hire a deaf teacher for ASL classes. That's what happens all over in the USA. It's sad that hearing people control it. That's what the OP is all about.

Another example, a lot of deaf people appreciate Sorenson for starting VP up but they complained that no deaf people worked there so the company hired deaf people. Right now I look at this company as a respectful one for the deaf community.

What about colleges that offer ASL courses? Do they respect the deaf community? :hmm:

Bless your heart.

. . .
A deaf instructor would not require an interpreter for conducting classes. I've had deaf instructors and they didn't require interpreters. Now, if you mean that deaf instructors might require interpreters for staff meetings and such, that's possible.

If a college refuses to hire a deaf instructor just to avoid hiring terps, that's not legal. As far as tax "write offs" the people doing the hiring are aware of these things.

Just to be clear, there's no such thing as a tax "write off." Here's what the IRS posts:

Disabled Access Credit
The Disabled Access Credit provides a non-refundable credit for small businesses that incur expenditures for the purpose of providing access to persons with disabilities. An eligible small business is one that that earned $1 million or less or had no more than 30 full time employees in the previous year; they may take the credit each and every year they incur access expenditures. Refer to Form 8826, Disabled Access Credit (PDF), for information about eligible expenditures.

It's also limited:

". . . the credit is 50 percent of expenditures over $250, not to exceed $10,250, for a maximum benefit of $5,000."
Tax Credits for Hiring People with Disabilities

Back