Help Please - Grieving Ears!

To lose it over night is unusual unless got other things going on.Why they not take you into hospital immediately and go from there....I admit it difficult when no deaf people or clubs go to.i went for rehab husband came with me you take the person who be biggest influence in communication.It not only Asl other things be shown sign takes sometime to learn so you need help in other ways as well..People on Ad who don't sign they cope.You need be shown technology sort of things you need or make life easier.Odd no one got social worker to advice

Most people who lose their hearing go through the five stages of grieving, which is: Denial,Anger, Bargaining, Depression and finally Acceptance. You may be going through some of the stages and not even realize it.

Most people who lose their hearing go through the five stages of grieving, which is: Denial,Anger, Bargaining, Depression and finally Acceptance. You may be going through some of the stages and not even realize it.

Thats just pycho bable really..but..meh

I thinking about sexy men Saun Connery just happen be on TV that man like good wine it just improve with age

I'm kind of with hoichi on this. The stages of grief are for loss, but so many Deaf have shown that deaf just means you can't hear but can still do everything else. So many Deaf don't see it as a disability or impairment so clearly it doesn't have to be if you don't let it. I'm approaching my hearing loss with that knowledge and so far anger and depression just aren't part of it.

I was in denial prior to my first audiogram, then bargaining (really just assuming hearing aids would be able to rescue my hearing) up until my second audiogram. But since then I've fully shifted into learning mode. I want to know how to live better without my hearing, so when/if my left ear catches up to my right I'll still be fine, just unable to hear much.

For folks who lose it more quickly or don't admit it's a possibility and prepare for, I could see the stages applying more, but really Deaf have shown us it doesn't have to be that way. Skipping all the anguish and accepting and adapting seems really possible, and who wants to be angry or depressed?

Don't feel nobody wants to be angry or depressed all the time...but we all are some of the time....Some of us (myself & Angel) lost our hearing almost overnight....It's a shock....seeing all the people talking and laughing and not know what the hell is going on.....

Some of us had great family and friends support...some didn't....Hopefully the OP, in given time, will adjust and have that support. Right now, he's looking at support from us members here at AD...we should give it, with understanding of his dilemma.....

Seems he hasn't come back after a few "negative" posts....

My own personal story about my mother's murder just 2 weeks after becoming fully deaf...shipped off to a deaf school...never knowing a deaf person in my Life and never seeing anybody talk with their hands...took me months and months to somewhat adjust to a different world...

Oh blast I put post up on wrong thread,that embracing still Sean Connery

Different circumstances and additional challenges at the same time can definitely make it harder. I think hoichi is just trying to say it doesn't have to be that terrible. OP is getting insight from folks here who have gone through it and that can make everything a whole lot less scary. For me, just knowing so many people live without hearing and can do everything but hear, all while having a rich and deep culture has made this experience worry free.

I think hoichi means well by his remarks, it's maybe more tough love than is needed though.

I'm kind of with hoichi on this. The stages of grief are for loss, but so many Deaf have shown that deaf just means you can't hear but can still do everything else. So many Deaf don't see it as a disability or impairment so clearly it doesn't have to be if you don't let it. I'm approaching my hearing loss with that knowledge and so far anger and depression just aren't part of it.

I was in denial prior to my first audiogram, then bargaining (really just assuming hearing aids would be able to rescue my hearing) up until my second audiogram. But since then I've fully shifted into learning mode. I want to know how to live better without my hearing, so when/if my left ear catches up to my right I'll still be fine, just unable to hear much.

For folks who lose it more quickly or don't admit it's a possibility and prepare for, I could see the stages applying more, but really Deaf have shown us it doesn't have to be that way. Skipping all the anguish and accepting and adapting seems really possible, and who wants to be angry or depressed?
True, but still we're talking about late deafened people......It's 100% understandable that they would go through greiving and acceptance stages......but the thing is, they lived life up til their loss, as hearing people.... They definitionly should have a healthy attitude towards their loss......but its not gonna come all at once!

Both views are valid. From a biological perspective there is a loss of a sense, hearing. From a broader health perspective this does not have to relevant for your health. You can be a completely happy and healthy person. Nursing books in Sweden emphasize that health needs to bee seen from several perspectives not just a biological/medical one. The whole life situation needs be considered in order to say wether a person has health. None of the perspectives are wrong. So it is ok to say you have a loss of hearing and still not consider yourself to be "sick", "disabled", or "lacking in health". Health care personnel should be aware of that the biological perspective is not the only one, and that other perspectives can be more correct, depending on the situation. I have met audiologists who where skilled at seeing beyond the hearing loss, who didn't see my hearing as a purly technical problem to solve, and I have met others who were less skilled. Medical personnel should not get stuck in a biological/technical perspective, but when they do, it is important to meet other deaf people in order to get a broader perspective. The chance to meet good psychologists or other personnel is larger if they are used to working with deaf. Even though experience is no guarantee they have a sound perspective.

True, but still we're talking about late deafened people......It's 100% understandable that they would go through greiving and acceptance stages......but the thing is, they lived life up til their loss, as hearing people.... They definitionly should have a healthy attitude towards their loss......but its not gonna come all at once!

That's called acceptance.

I was born deaf so I've known no other way of life, so I always say "you can't miss what you never had." But when something changes, YES, there absolutely is a process one goes through when that happens. Take my husband. He's a combat veteran with severe TBI, he misses what life was was like before that. Hoichi I have often sided with you but you really missed the mark here when saying there is no grieving needed. Take a break and get a little more real, and show empathy.

I was born deaf so I've known no other way of life, so I always say "you can't miss what you never had." But when something changes, YES, there absolutely is a process one goes through when that happens. Take my husband. He's a combat veteran with severe TBI, he misses what life was was like before that. Hoichi I have often sided with you but you really missed the mark here when saying there is no grieving needed. Take a break and get a little more real, and show empathy.

I never stated there was no greiving needed,though i wouldnt use that term....
I wouldnt recomend anyone greive over becoming deaf, in my eyes it comes down to empowerment...deafness under the medical model and paradigm is disempowering..it focuses on your loss, a negative, compares you with others, who posses something you lack, pegs you as disordered. Abnornal, so on, in need of medical treatment, a cure for your affliction.
Ive just never seen much positive in that apporach..perticularly if the individual already suffers under other medical, emotional, and mental issues.
Im actually showing empathy by not wishing to enable someone to further be disempowered by pychobabale, balony..
Instead in regards to being deaf, one can and in my eyes should overcome that curse, of deafness as a loss, a negative, a lacking, an afffliction, and embrace it via sign to the gift of being Deaf...
If the only issue is that then thats my recomendatiin...if other issues are present, manic depression so on, then obviously the individual needs medical treatment, medications, monitoring, so on..
But deaf dont need more white coated docs, deaf dont need more medical professionals, itching to drill holes.in their hesds for.profit, deaf dont need that...truly they need other Deaf...thats the unsigned secret here...hidden in plain sight,
As for me..when i become Deaf, i was branded all sorts of things, from doctors,,,,teachers. Counsilors, You name it...all of them did their best to keep me from other Deaf..god forbid, it was only my mothers spirit and insistance.she literally removed me from Hearie school, as they had me with mentally challanged kids.with helmets on,even though all that happend.with me was i became Deaf, like i had some comunicable disease they seperated me, from others and put me with these kids who just hit their heads against the wall and drulled all damn day...medical professionals, teachers, counsilors the very ones who had all the degrees on the wall, stating how clever they were, those in power did that, so excuse my mistrust, intead my mother removed me drove me hours away to the Deafie school where i belonged...if she would of took their word for it, her son became stupid,and thus needed to be with the others in the mentally challanged class, even though i clearly was many things...dumb and stupid i was not...
And thus thats how i was intruduced to others like me...other Deaf...it was against the professionals advice,,,not because of it...
So thats one place im comming from...for what its worth...and i understand everyones experiences are different, but if the above sheds any light on my angst, or lack of empathy,...thats all i could ask for
We really just need others like us in our life, so we can communicate in our natural languge with others like us...thats all we need...
Really..
In the end, i stand by it...

Mine was caused by meningitis, the medication they used to treat it..back then anyway, were talking stonw age, mid early mid 80s......but that wasnt why they sepereated me. I was medicaly healthy when i returned to school after long stays in hospitals...but hearie kkds all turned to hungry dogs with me..so i fought allot..anyway
They pegged me that way, and put me with those kids in helmets as thats one policy they do with kids who become deaf...hearie admin doesnt want deaf kids to go to Deafie school, they get extra loot for each deaf they keep seperated...also most hearie professionals dont want the deaf kid to revert to being Deaf....
Its ideological....its just plain and straight audism...that does this...
And i experienced it ...anyway...nuff about me....
Back to the greiving...
(Passes tissue box, offfers hug)

Mine was caused by meningitis, the medication they used to treat it..back then anyway, were talking stonw age, mid early mid 80s......but that wasnt why they sepereated me. I was medicaly healthy when i returned to school after long stays in hospitals...but hearie kkds all turned to hungry dogs with me..so i fought allot..anyway
They pegged me that way, and put me with those kids in helmets as thats one policy they do with kids who become deaf...hearie admin doesnt want deaf kids to go to Deafie school, they get extra loot for each deaf they keep seperated...also most hearie professionals dont want the deaf kid to revert to being Deaf....
Its ideological....its just plain and straight audism...that does this...
And i experienced it ...anyway...nuff about me....
Back to the greiving...
(Passes tissue box, offfers hug)

Sniff,sniff, thanks for the tissue. Lucky you, that your mom insisted on deaf school for you and ASL.

I just wanted to add that my loss was due to a medication too, in treatment for pneumonia. This was back in the dark ages, I had finished high school, and was trying to get through nursing school, but had to quit as I couldn't figure out why I couldn't follow the lectures. I still had some hearing at that time, but there was no mention of deafness, no awareness, no ASL, I was on my own in a sea of confusion. I guess I adapted as best I could, got married and went on with my life. Did get hearing aids. Never felt a need for counseling.

Guess you might call that acceptance.

Sniff,sniff, thanks for the tissue. Lucky you, that your mom insisted on deaf school for you and ASL.

I just wanted to add that my loss was due to a medication too, in treatment for pneumonia. This was back in the dark ages, I had finished high school, and was trying to get through nursing school, but had to quit as I couldn't figure out why I couldn't follow the lectures. I still had some hearing at that time, but there was no mention of deafness, no awareness, no ASL, I was on my own in a sea of confusion. I guess I adapted as best I could, got married and went on with my life. Did get hearing aids. Never felt a need for counseling.

Guess you might call that acceptance.

It was luck....a Deaf girl, (who was smookin hot too, first one i ended up havin a crush on now to think of it as a kid hahah...mmmm..smiles).... lived across the hall, and she was outraged at how i was being treated in hearie school, she also told other Deaf about it too, who contacted my mother......my mother was working two jobs, single, and me deaf...it was this girl who told my mother about deafie school...it was her school, she graduated from...she just moved in when all this was happening...it really was for me allmost destiny..that she did....once my ma drove me up,i was in Deafie school the next week...
Living in resedence...and she was insturmental in bringng me into Deaf culture, Deaf club, driving me to mayfest....so on so forth...
If just some babbling hearie would of moved in there...i would of been doomed...my mother wouldnt of known about Deafie school, or if anything i would of languished away for a few more years with those helmeted kids...just banging away against the wall, ......as i sat looking at clouds gliding by, from the window.....alone....with my silience for company....
Or if anything, for allot longer until .she figured out how to get me there...
Passes tissue box, lights fat joint.....

Last edited:
Chronic ear infections...and this one-eyed doctor in a small town operated on me (both ears),,,damaged the nerves and what ever...was told the doctor practically "butchered me"....woke up being deaf. Back in the 60's...Been a long time tho'....

No time to grieve tho'...or feeling sorry for myself as my mother (single mother of 6 kids).....was murdered and 2 weeks later I was shipped off the deaf school because they had no teachers to teach me in public school....And to keep me out of going to trial for the man who murdered my mother...iAt 14, never been out of town in my life, deaf school 300 miles away...never seen a deaf person or ASL either....Seriously, I thought they had put me into a "crazy house"...so I pulled the covers over my face for over a week...gave the supervisors a very hard time.

Going to a deaf school when I knew no ASL?...The teachers were mainly hearing back then..so I was sat in the front of the class to learn lipreading...no sign was allowed for me (got a ruler on my hand)... Only 2 years and I graduated before my 16th birthday...(skipping several grades).... in the dorms...is where I learned ASL....

I adjusted...played basketball and cheerleading...went to the Print Shop and took Teletype....and Linotype....felt as long as I was around other deafies then I was "OK"....it was when I went home that another challenge was waiting on me....No one knew ASL...no other deafies in that town that I knew of....

The training I took at the Deaf School (NC) prepared me for a good job in Newspapers...Long journey...but I survived it all.

Chronic ear infections...and this one-eyed doctor in a small town operated on me (both ears),,,damaged the nerves and what ever...was told the doctor practically "butchered me"....woke up being deaf. Back in the 60's...Been a long time tho'....

No time to grieve tho'...or feeling sorry for myself as my mother (single mother of 6 kids).....was murdered and 2 weeks later I was shipped off the deaf school because they had no teachers to teach me in public school....And to keep me out of going to trial for the man who murdered my mother...iAt 14, never been out of town in my life, deaf school 300 miles away...never seen a deaf person or ASL either....Seriously, I thought they had put me into a "crazy house"...so I pulled the covers over my face for over a week...gave the supervisors a very hard time.

Going to a deaf school when I knew no ASL?...The teachers were mainly hearing back then..so I was sat in the front of the class to learn lipreading...no sign was allowed for me (got a ruler on my hand)... Only 2 years and I graduated before my 16th birthday...(skipping several grades).... in the dorms...is where I learned ASL....

I adjusted...played basketball and cheerleading...went to the Print Shop and took Teletype....and Linotype....felt as long as I was around other deafies then I was "OK"....it was when I went home that another challenge was waiting on me....No one knew ASL...no other deafies in that town that I knew of....

The training I took at the Deaf School (NC) prepared me for a good job in Newspapers...Long journey...but I survived it all.

Little off topic, but that's another good deaf job gone. When I was little the neighborhood by the city airport had a large deaf presence, due to being cheaper, and a lot of people worked as typesetters for the newspaper.

That was actually a vibrant community, kind of like what people wish they could found now as a deaf town.

Back