Help Please - Grieving Ears!

Little off topic, but that's another good deaf job gone. When I was little the neighborhood by the city airport had a large deaf presence, due to being cheaper, and a lot of people worked as typesetters for the newspaper.

That was actually a vibrant community, kind of like what people wish they could found now as a deaf town.

Yes...at several newspapers where I worked, there were other deafies as well...Back in the 60's-70's...newspapers were "humming" with deaf people working there...especially Washington, DC...all the overtime you wanted....good job...great salary too.

Nonsense...
You dont need to greive...what nonsense...

I never stated there was no greiving needed

You did say exactly that in post #5. Your very second sentence. If I misunderstood, then please clarify. In the meantime you may want to lay off the big fat joints while you type what you want to convey.

Last edited:
Little off topic, but that's another good deaf job gone. When I was little the neighborhood by the city airport had a large deaf presence, due to being cheaper, and a lot of people worked as typesetters for the newspaper.

That was actually a vibrant community, kind of like what people wish they could found now as a deaf town.

You mean Deaf Community in your town, even there is hearing town. Yes, I do remember typesetters for the newspaper offices. Back then, I was a Keypunch operator in Minneapolis and Albuquerque. :cool2:

You did say exactly that in post #5. Your very second sentence. If I misunderstood, then please clarify. In the meantime you may want to lay off the big fat joints while you type what you want to convey.

Well fine im guilty....flog me if you will...
Now pass the light...i have another fatty to burn..
Meh

Chronic ear infections...and this one-eyed doctor in a small town operated on me (both ears),,,damaged the nerves and what ever...was told the doctor practically "butchered me"....woke up being deaf. Back in the 60's...Been a long time tho'....

No time to grieve tho'...or feeling sorry for myself as my mother (single mother of 6 kids).....was murdered and 2 weeks later I was shipped off the deaf school because they had no teachers to teach me in public school....And to keep me out of going to trial for the man who murdered my mother...iAt 14, never been out of town in my life, deaf school 300 miles away...never seen a deaf person or ASL either....Seriously, I thought they had put me into a "crazy house"...so I pulled the covers over my face for over a week...gave the supervisors a very hard time.

Going to a deaf school when I knew no ASL?...The teachers were mainly hearing back then..so I was sat in the front of the class to learn lipreading...no sign was allowed for me (got a ruler on my hand)... Only 2 years and I graduated before my 16th birthday...(skipping several grades).... in the dorms...is where I learned ASL....

I adjusted...played basketball and cheerleading...went to the Print Shop and took Teletype....and Linotype....felt as long as I was around other deafies then I was "OK"....it was when I went home that another challenge was waiting on me....No one knew ASL...no other deafies in that town that I knew of....

The training I took at the Deaf School (NC) prepared me for a good job in Newspapers...Long journey...but I survived it all.

We were around but mainstreamed just in special ed classes for poor grades since we couldn't hear what the teacher was saying.

NCSD isn't a crazy house that would be Broughton Hospital which isn't far from NCSD. Broughton even has a criminal psycho ward where they lock people away.

We were around but mainstreamed just in special ed classes for poor grades since we couldn't hear what the teacher was saying.

NCSD isn't a crazy house that would be Broughton Hospital which isn't far from NCSD. Broughton even has a criminal psycho ward where they lock people away.

No, NCSD isn't a "crazy house"...it was just my 1st impression when I saw all the people talking with their hands...I'd never seen that before....NCSD was a beautiful campus!...My short time there was enjoyable soon as I had adjusted...time takes care of it all...which was my case.

One of the upsides of Deaf Schools is that while back in the day the education may not have been the best, is that they were good at giving dhh kids skilled job training abilties...

Mine was caused by meningitis, the medication they used to treat it..back then anyway, were talking stonw age, mid early mid 80s......but that wasnt why they sepereated me. I was medicaly healthy when i returned to school after long stays in hospitals...but hearie kkds all turned to hungry dogs with me..so i fought allot..anyway
They pegged me that way, and put me with those kids in helmets as thats one policy they do with kids who become deaf...hearie admin doesnt want deaf kids to go to Deafie school, they get extra loot for each deaf they keep seperated...also most hearie professionals dont want the deaf kid to revert to being Deaf....
Its ideological....its just plain and straight audism...that does this...
And i experienced it ...anyway...nuff about me....
Back to the greiving...
(Passes tissue box, offfers hug)
It's mainly due to lack of money.......they don't want to pay for the dhh kids to go to a special school.....

Thank you

Thank you all so much. Your varied views have helped a lot and I think I know the way to move forward now. Thank you!

Back