Deaf Police Officer

depsusie

Reaction score
My friends had directed me to this site and the inquiries about deaf police officers in our country. As far as I know, there are three of us. I started in 1975 with the New Orleans Police Dept. Then in 1979 transferred to Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office and in 1986 moved acrossed the lake to start a Hearing Dog program in a rural setting and started with the Tangipahoa Parish Sheriff's Office there. I have worked every capacity in law enforcement with the exception of working the jails, auto theft and homicide. I have worked with devices and a hearing dog for most of my career. Compensation skills are vital and knowing your own limitations imperative.Galludet recognized me on a calendar entitled ,'Outstanding Deaf People" ..in 1983 or 1985... Can't quite remember, so much has happened in our lives especially since Katrina. I started in 1975 when there were not too many of us out there. It took me three years of fighting civil service to prove I could do the job. It's been a great career and I still have to prove myself everyday. But, who doesn't ?!
The secret for me to attain the job I wanted was to wall paper...keep going back to school and getting certified in things contemporary law enforcement needed and nobody else was doing....I now have 3 Masters degrees and intend to go for my PhD. just so that I can continue to be the best possible police officer and serve my community in the best way I can....I have to give 300 % and it is worth it to me to be in the right place at the right time to make a positive difference for others.I am over 30 (ha-ha-ha) and still see a speech therapist every week...so, people can understand me better. My speech is not great...but, someday, it will be ...It's my responsibility to do this. Pls share the message of our potential and offer hope for determination and hard work. I am happy to help anyone in anyway... To those of you saying it is impossible... I'll say to you, it is . But, you have to dedicate yourself to attaining it for years. I sacrificed many years to getting on the department and then , staying on the department and then....having to be the best.. People are always waiting to say, I told you so and we can't let that happen. Best of luck to you all !.
With liove and thanks to all,
Deputy Susie :deaf:

Hey, Deputy Suzie, I remember you! Welcome back!

My friends had directed me to this site and the inquiries about deaf police officers in our country. As far as I know, there are three of us. I started in 1975 with the New Orleans Police Dept. Then in 1979 transferred to Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office and in 1986 moved acrossed the lake to start a Hearing Dog program in a rural setting and started with the Tangipahoa Parish Sheriff's Office there. I have worked every capacity in law enforcement with the exception of working the jails, auto theft and homicide. I have worked with devices and a hearing dog for most of my career. Compensation skills are vital and knowing your own limitations imperative.Galludet recognized me on a calendar entitled ,'Outstanding Deaf People" ..in 1983 or 1985... Can't quite remember, so much has happened in our lives especially since Katrina. I started in 1975 when there were not too many of us out there. It took me three years of fighting civil service to prove I could do the job. It's been a great career and I still have to prove myself everyday. But, who doesn't ?!
The secret for me to attain the job I wanted was to wall paper...keep going back to school and getting certified in things contemporary law enforcement needed and nobody else was doing....I now have 3 Masters degrees and intend to go for my PhD. just so that I can continue to be the best possible police officer and serve my community in the best way I can....I have to give 300 % and it is worth it to me to be in the right place at the right time to make a positive difference for others.I am over 30 (ha-ha-ha) and still see a speech therapist every week...so, people can understand me better. My speech is not great...but, someday, it will be ...It's my responsibility to do this. Pls share the message of our potential and offer hope for determination and hard work. I am happy to help anyone in anyway... To those of you saying it is impossible... I'll say to you, it is . But, you have to dedicate yourself to attaining it for years. I sacrificed many years to getting on the department and then , staying on the department and then....having to be the best.. People are always waiting to say, I told you so and we can't let that happen. Best of luck to you all !.

WOW. :ty:

Tousi !

I remember u , too ! How are ya ? Good to see a familiar name !!!!
How many of our old friends are here ? Smile !
deputy susie

Deaf police officer? I think you're the first deaf police officer I've met in my lifetime.
Welcome back!

Hey Deaf Police Officer,
Sunshinelady would like to know what happen to that police officer when he/she

Eat
Donuts.jpg

+
i2_police_action.jpg

?

Congrat.....I know it would be a long run...DO NOT GIVE UP...

Hey Deaf Police Officer,
Sunshinelady would like to know what happen to that police officer when he/she

Eat
Donuts.jpg

+
i2_police_action.jpg

?

*rollingeyes* Do you think, I am date with deaf Police officer??...
nice, if he/she will spend some Donuts with me. Don't be jealous *tongue out*

Susie,

Very little impresses me. But, there are exceptions to that. I am impressed and proud of you! If you have a minute, click on my blog (below) and you'll see a picture of me with my hearing dog, Snickers, a female Akita-German Shepherd. She's been "on duty" since late winter-early spring 2002 and celebrated seven years total being with me last week.

:welcome: to AD!!! I have never thought that a deaf police officer can make a career. It is the same with Sue Thompson who is a FBI lipreader. To me, lipreading is impossible, if making the mistake on what the person say. I guess she survive all that without being fired from her job. So that mean that anything is possible to whatever anyone want to be. You are just lucky that you hold on to your career and not give up. That take guts and having faith in getting what you want to do with your career. So congradulation that you are the first deaf police officer in our AD. Welcome aboard. :wave:

dar'lins !
DONUTS-DONUTS-DONUTS-DONUTS and no exercise..........
We get FAT ! SMILE
We don't eat too many donuts...But, lots of king cakes, french pastries and beignets..... and gumbo and jambalaya.. .....
I'm looking forward to seeing lots of old friends here and making lots of new friends, too.
Katrina wash us away and blew us around pretty bad.. we're still trying to recover. ASo have not had a chance to connect with everyone in awhile....

Thanks for the welcome y'all !
Hugs ! deputy susie

Hello and welcome--back! Interesting and nice post--the desire to learn other things and obtaining degrees is indeed a great feat and accomplishing on your part...even with the fact that you're still at it, wishes you much success in other areas as well! As for what Katrina has done and knowing from other sources and news that the recovery has been a long one for many people affected by this terrible storm. Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers for the recovery to speed up, to get things back up and rolling, people's lives somewhat getting back to 'normal'. Meanwhile, nice to have you onboard and hope you'll continue to enjoy your stay here in AD! ;)

:wave:
~RR

Congrats!

Depsusie, your success story is an inspiration. Welcome from a new member.

A welcome back to you depsusie. I remember you from a very long time ago too. Good to see you here. May your return back be a long one!

Kangaroo :)

Great to be back among my deafie friends !!

I've missed everyone so much. Thanks , its been too long.....
We are okay. Day by day getting back on our feet.
We all feel blessed, so many lost lives....all the rest is just stuff.
Do all things with love !
deputy susie :ty:

Back