Should the legal drinking age change?

Cheri said:
Of course we have no power to tell them to stop drinking none, why? because it's legal for them to drink. (giving an example).

Cheri, I would like to kindly point out that you're incorrect. If the drinking age was lowered to 16, you as their parent will have full power to prevent them from drinking.

You can prevent your children from driving, or even riding in a car. You can prevent them from watching TV, from using the computer, from drinking soda or eating bad food. The law lets them do it but you as their parent have every right to control their lives. You just won't be able to call the police on your kids to lock them up for drinking when it's legal.

You don't lose your parenting rights when something becomes legal.

Dennis said:
Cheri, I would like to kindly point out that you're incorrect. If the drinking age was lowered to 16, you as their parent will have full power to prevent them from drinking.

You can prevent your children from driving, or even riding in a car. You can prevent them from watching TV, from using the computer, from drinking soda or eating bad food. The law lets them do it but you as their parent have every right to control their lives. You just won't be able to call the police on your kids to lock them up for drinking when it's legal.

I am aware of that yes, But parents cannot watch their youngsters 24/7 a day, even when they're in school. They could go out on their lunch break and drink, they could stop at a friend's house on the way home from school and drink, We don't have eyes like hawks knowing what they are doing at all times. They can hide it from parents, it can happen. They are always going to find ways to get a drink if they want because it's legal for them to drink. :mrgreen:

Cheri said:
I am aware of that yes, But parents cannot watch their youngsters 24/7 a day, even when they're in school. They could go out on their lunch break and drink, they could stop at a friend's house on the way home from school and drink, We don't have eyes like hawks knowing what they are doing at all times. They can hide it from parents, it can happen. They are always going to find ways to get a drink if they want because it's legal for them to drink. :mrgreen:

I still don't see you pointing out anything that the law will be able to do if it's illegal for them under the age of 21. Legal or illegal, you still have no way to stop it if they're hell bent on getting a drink.

You don't have eyes like hawks to watch them while it's illegal. But you still have power and control as parents to stop their drinking privileges until they're 18. A group of children who are only around others who WANT TO DRINK ILLEGALLY will have to hide it and resort to extreme measures to get it. They will not simply think, "Oh, it's illegal, better not do it." They will not stop until they get what they want. Legalizing it will give you the option of rewarding them if they follow your rules instead of you only being able to punish them when they break your rules.

Instead of your children going over to someone's house and raiding their parent's stash of alcohol and drinking as much as they can before someone catches them (the illegal course), they will be able to go to a pub or a bar where other people drink and other peers drink. Some of those peers are drinking to get smashed, others are drinking for social (but still want good grades) and others don't drink at all, but they're there because everyone else is. Schools won't permit drinking and driving so they would enforce a driving ban during lunch for such situations, therefore all students have to walk to their pub or brewery of choice, or bring a drink to school.

Why would they choose the brewery over going home and drink? Because it's cheaper and safer. Why raid your parents stash and get in trouble later, when you can pay less at the bar for a pint and not get in trouble?

We still have public drunkeness laws. We will still have BAC limits that the younger people still have to follow. We still have drunk driving laws. It's going to become more orderly after we get rid of the taboo of drinking.

Peer pressure is very powerful, and can be bad OR good. Peer pressure can entice someone to drink LESS, especially if there are other people around who ARE drinking less and are showing they enjoy it.

jazzy said:
I think u misunderstood me, I was very mature at age 18 just alike u. :) I do know what u mean . I was stating the fact because of my experince around them and I am older now and mother of two young adults and their peers. I observed many 25 years old who were immature, does not mean u but they were allowed to do many things that many 18 years old are not allowed. I believe age 18 is a legal adult and they should be allowed to do many things alike drinking without get in big trouble with law since they are still do it anyway. Since your 21, you have more freedom than 18, 19 and 20 years old. But something your not still out of wood alike rent a car which my son was not able to rent a car after had a car accident last year ( he was 22 then) and need another car to go to work. The rule there is u have to be 25 years old to rent the car. Life sucks esp for anyone who is under 25. My point here, it is okay for 30 years old to get drink but not for anyone under 21. because they believe anyone who is under 21 are immature and not ready for the responsiblity I was stating President Bush was not mature when he was drinking and caught with dui I believe he was 30 years old at that time. Ages does not matter, it is the person who drink are matter if they become irresponsible and endanger other life.
I am sorry if you thought I degrade anyone who are younger than 25 I don't mean it. I have an issue with drinking no matter what age really esp I knew too many people who got killed by dui, most drivers with dui who killed them are older than 25.

My bad Jazzy!!! :doh: I did misunderstand you. I thought that you were saying ANYONE under the age of 25 is immature. I apolgize, although I wasnt trying to be mean about it. Just wanted to state my opinion that age has nothing to do with maturity. ;) Thank you for clearing that one up for me..

in Usa that against the law must 21 yrs old that I think more safe in anyhow I guess :dunno:

Here in Canada against the law 19 yrs old to drinking

If we lower the drinking age to 18, college kids won't be tempted to be "bad" by drinking. Most kids tend to want to be "free" and be "bad" by going out and getting drunk. However, if there's nothing to be bad about... then they will just be like, "blah". ;)

"Legal drinking age in the United States
The most common justification given for the high U.S. minimum drinking age is that it reduces the number of car accidents. The drinking age is not a federal law; every state individually has set an age limit of 21. The federal government, however, would withhold some highway transportation funding to states which allowed drinking at a lower age. The U.S. population have for decades been heavy users of personal automobiles for transportation, and hence car accidents are relatively common, taking around 43,000 lives a year. According to proponents such as Mothers Against Drunk Driving, the relatively high US drinking age lowers the risk of accidents and alcohol addiction in younger people. Some studies support this claim, though others suggest that accidents and the learning curve for handling alcohol are simply moved to the 21+ demographic, perhaps not even saving any lives. Some people argue that if one is old enough to vote and be drafted (or voluntarily join the military), one is old enough to drink, and that being introduced to alcohol at a younger age in a family environment means people are more likely to learn responsible drinking habits. Many also consider it reasonable for college students to experiment with alcohol before they are 21, as long as it is done safely.

While the legal drinking age is 21 in all states, the legal details vary. Some states do not allow those under the legal drinking age to be present in liquor stores or in bars (usually, the difference between a bar and a restaurant is whether food is being served). Contrary to popular belief, few states specifically prohibit minors' consumption of alcohol in private settings."

I find this an interesting article in than there is not one law for America. Also you are like Aust and the children can drink in a private setting with parental consent. Don't you think this is a smart idea and parents should use it to help educate their children about drinking by starting in a safe environment. Better than buying it on the black market and hiding to drink!!!

In Australia you can drink at 18 and you can drive at 18 but God help you if you do it together. You must have 0.0 bac for the first 3 years of driving. One boy recently aged 19 was jailed for drink driving as he hit a child with the car. His bac was low but it should have been zero. The laws are very strict, however we want our children to learn to drive and we want them to learn about drinking in the hope that when they can legally have a drink and drive (up to 0.05 bac) they have learnt some control and the gloss has come off the drinking.

I do what I can to help and teach my children.

Cheri said:
How can you teach them? If it's legal to drink at the age of 16 or 18? They are going to tell you, Mom I can drink anyway I want, It's legal for me to drink. What are you gotta say? Oh shit!? LOL!

Well, good food and good wine are a natural part of Europe culture, that's how the children grow up with wine or beer as a normal part of life. (not heavy spirits). It is not uncommon to see young children being given a sip of wine to introduce them to the flavor, and learn how to enjoy the taste.

Europeans know how to enjoy themselves without causing trouble when they drink alcohol and more civilized because they learn at early age.

That's why teenagers learn how to respect when it comes to alcohol, or similar substances. In Europe, most parents can sit down with their child and have a beer or glass of wine during meal. It’s about respect and open and broad-minded, that's how they learn to act maturely.

I prefer to educate children to open mind and respect anything than hide something from them. Its teach moderation and responsible drinking at a very early age is the best.

How can we expect children to be responsible about this sort of thing when adults aren’t? Teenagers have the chance to experiment at this age and up to a point I think they should be allowed to.

The study shows that the strict parents were with alcohol in the home, would more likely the children suffer from alcoholism later as the strict laws would cause people later abuse. We know that forbid young people to drinking does not work. All what they do is learn to handle their responsible how to limit and respect alcohol.

If you treat young adults like children, they will act like children.

I agree that British teenagers are the mainly worst country to use alcohol and drugs than all of Europe countries because they never being taught how to respect alcohol. I know because my parents never let me try alcohol and never educated us about alcohol but just say "No, you can't because you are too young" or "you are allow to drink when you are adult". I was like huh and go to friends's house to try alcohol to hide from my parents. I thought alcohol is for the fun and also make me feel adult until I married and live in Germany. There in Germany, I learn awful alot which total different as England. I look at children's maturity because their is better than me when I was their age. :eek: Yes, I look at British children which total different as German children. British teenagers act immature, disrespect and careless than other cultures, we visited to.

Sweetheart said:
But all of schools should have education for kids to learning abt drunking and driving since I dont have ONE at my school and my best friend learned abt it and knew abt it, of course I knew abt it but why not all of schools have that so we can learn something abt it and we will know why and understand? :dunno: I just wanted to tell ya'll abt it..

Yes, we have drinking and driving education at every school because they belongs to health issue as sex education. Police come to preach student between 15 and 16 years old about traffic law.

But but but...

Responsible behavior is hard to encourage when that very behavior is unconditionally illegal (Max A. Kalehoff). Who will listen when a teacher walks in and tells the class about how to handle alcohol for half an hour and then ends with the words..."so keep it in mind and wait, because you can’t do it anyway"? In fact, schools and colleges sometimes don’t get funds from the government to give appropriate education about alcohol because it could promote underage drinking. (RALLY education)
http://www.hausarbeiten.de/faecher/hausarbeit/eni/18452.html

Sweetheart's post
Since, I have a friend who died by drunking and driving. He was only 19 yrs old. He did drinking some of beer and got in car accident, he is not driving, his friend is but she did DRINK one bottle of beer. Another truck whose hit that car where my friend in was VERY drunk and hes only 23 yrs old. So, all of them(a man who drove the truck, a girl who drove in the car and another guy in the car with them) plus kids who bought beers got in jail for that happened. Everybody felt bad abt it. I knew him for whole of my life since I born. I want all of schools to having that education like healthy, sex, etc. Why not they have edcaution for drunking and driving? Teach kids abt it so they will learn. Even show them how feel during they get in car accident if they are drink and explain them abt that stuffs like that even if they want someone speech abt their experience drunking and driving. Since my friend killed by that. I consider schools should have that... I will understand if some of you disagree with me but I thought they should do that.. Since, I heard abt that in Wisconsin School of the Deaf(I think or another I forgot which one) have that education and they did watch the movie and see how they get hurt, bleed, etc like that. They learned alot abt it.. So... I think should be stay 21 yrs old because mostly of % people who turn in 21 and they are adult and reponsibility more than 18 yrs old people.. Thats why I think its better idea. Thanks :)

Why teenage safe-driving programs aren't working
http://autoblog.com/2005/11/08/why-teenage-safe-driving-programs-arent-working/

Let Them Drink;
Don't Let Them Drink and Drive

http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/DrivingIssues/1043410819.html

Counter-Argument: Federal agents suggest pointing out that people can obtain a hunting license at age 12 and a driver’s license at age 16. Ironically, this actually strengthens the argument against treating legal adults as children with regard to alcohol beverages. People can hunt wildlife with a deadly weapon at age 12 but can be trusted with a beer at age 20?

:jaw: I can't beleive this...

Argument: “Europeans let their teens drink from an early age, yet they don’t have the alcohol-related problems we do.”

Argument: Lower rates of alcohol-related crashes among 19-to 20-year-olds aren’t related to the age 21 policy, but rather they’re related to increased drinking-driver educational efforts, tougher enforcement, and tougher drunk-driving penalties.”

Argument: “We drank when we were young and we grew out of it. It’s just a phase that all students go through.”

Argument: “Making it illegal to drink until 21 increases the desire for the ‘forbidden fruit.’ Then, when students turn 21, they’ll drink even more.”

Very True
http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/YouthIssues/1064263072.html

It makes no difference. If you start drinking at 21, you’re going to have problems because you’re new at it. If you start drinking at 18, you’re going to have problems because you’re new at it. Look at my mother; she started drinking when she was 30 years old.

One thing, I don’t understand why US teenagers are allow to drive 6 years before they may drink. Yes, it surprises me that American teenagers use every chance to get drunk & risk their lives by driving in such condition. I feel that the legal driving age should be increased to the age of 18 years and lower the drinking age, then they should learn to respect alcohol first before enter a vehicle. Accord European law, the legal driving age is 18 as the same as drinking legal (from hard alcohol like spirits etc), too.

sequoias said:
Better stick with 21 minimum because (no offense) Americans are not too smart and they drink and don't follow the laws, the ones who couldn't wait til 21 years old. They go really wild and are not careful with what they do.

I know I took your post as quote yesterday.
http://www.alldeaf.com/showpost.php?p=435490&postcount=27

I talked my American co-workers today about your post and other posts because some of posts got me wondering why some of members here claimed that young adults cannot drink responsibly and didn't know how to respect alcohol.

They said your post about Americans are true and agree with me about driving legal age should increase to 18 and drinking legal age should lower to 18.

They said that American and European children are so different.

jazzy said:
Honestly, I don't want to be responsible for my kids under 21, I like to see them to be on their own after they turn 18 or after graduate from high school. Alike a mother bird push youngsters out of her own nest and force them to fly on their own. they have to learn how to live their own life by working, paying the rent and get in trouble once awhile to learn their own lessons. It is only way for them to grow up. Otherwise they would live with us till 35. No thanks. Lower age to 18.

Very true!

Banning drinking until they're older doesn't help.

Yes, it's correct.

Cheri said:
I've heard some people I've used to work with who are in their 20's have said "I cannot wait until I'm 21 to drink" I'm thinking to myself why is it important to drink? What is so excite about it? They think it's so cool to get messed up in the head. It's not cool. Now I've said pretty much my piece, You can disagree with me all I care but that doesn't change the fact that I do care enough not to see them ruining their life. That's a big "If" ;)

Yes, I'm agree that it's not cool.

Now you see yourself why they are exciting to turn 21 years old to be legal drinking BECAUSE they are curious like children about alcohol and feel being "adult" now which it's no good.

Cheri said:
Dennis,

I don't appreciated the name calling such as being paranoid, I do have an opinion and do have every rights to say what I feel. My ex boyfriend is an alcoholic been drinking since the age of 12, He never had a stable place to live, all he does is drink every single weekends, been up in jail almost all his life, all he does is spends his money on bottles. I didn't know he had an issue with drinking until after we were in a relationship, He hit bottom every weekend he became violence, of course he went on drugs too. So, Don't tell me I don't know anything. Just because I am watching out for those youngsters doesn't make me a bad person or paranoid. Please watch what you say to me otherwise I'll put you on block for your rude remarks. My opinions doesn't make it wrong. Just remember that Dennis. Thank-you. ;)

I'm sorry about your bad experience your alcoholic ex-boyfriend but please don't compare him with everyone. Look at my alocholic mother and drug-addict sister, my mom start drinking when she was around 30 years old and my sister start drugs when she was 29 years old. I compare them to nobody because I know that the ages is nothing do with drinking legal but themselves. The people became alocholic and drug addict for reasons.

Cheri said:

Why they hide it from parents? BECAUSE they knows they are not allow to use something in their house that why they rather to do something out of curiously with peers than at home. They also hide from law, too... buy bottle illegal or drugs cheap from drug dealers.

Liebling:-))) said:
Well, good food and good wine are a natural part of Europe culture, that's how the children grow up with wine or beer as a normal part of life. (not heavy spirits). It is not uncommon to see young children being given a sip of wine to introduce them to the flavor, and learn how to enjoy the taste.

Offering teens to drink or curious to drink is not helping the teens, You think drinking does not do anything for teens, Yes, drinking can damage their learning abilities, liver damaged. Are we supposed to ignored the what ifs signs such as autos accidents, or their health? Parents who offer drinks are giving them opportunity to go on a wrong path. Tsk Tsk! You think that if you teach responsible drinking to your children mostly likely they won't turn the worst? Not always true, Sometimes once a teen drinks, getting buzzed, walking around like a whopping dolly, would think it's funny and makes them happy, They would continue to do more. Don't be surprise how that would turn out. ;)

From my experience, I completely disagree with you.

I had cousin who lived in Europe most of his life. He was American born. His parents got job in EU, then when their job is done, they moved back, my cousin was 16 yrs old. He used to drink in EU because they allowed at his age to drink! So, he borrow his mother's BMW, and he got drunk when he was only 16 yrs old, with learners permit! Guess what happened? He drove right though the house!!! See there is problem? Why he was drunk to begin with? Now, my aunt and uncle have to pay huge insurance premium, and that my cousin got his license revoked til he's 21 yrs old.

So, that age 21 is VALID and here to STAY! Im behind Cheri all the way!

Dennis said:

diehardbiker65 said:

I had cousin who lived in Europe most of his life. He was American born. His parents got job in EU, then when their job is done, they moved back, my cousin was 16 yrs old. He used to drink in EU because they allowed at his age to drink! So, he borrow his mother's BMW, and he got drunk when he was only 16 yrs old, with learners permit! Guess what happened? He drove right though the house!!! See there is problem? Why he was drunk to begin with? Now, my aunt and uncle have to pay huge insurance premium, and that my cousin got his license revoked til he's 21 yrs old.

First of all, sorry to hear about your cousin.

He is definetly inexperienced driver. I wish your Aunt/Uncle teached him to think about alternative ways to get home safety from outing/party before he leave their home, and think ahead to make a plans to stay over, calling for a lift home, getting a taxi, or getting a lift with someone who hasn't been drinking!!!!!!

Like I said once again, teenagers knows that learner drivers and licence holders under 25 are subject to a ZERO blood alcohol concentration (bac) until they have had their licence for three years.

diehardbiker65 said:

First of all, I'm sorry to hear about your cousin.

It sound that your 16 years old cousin drove illegal where the driving age legal in most EU countries is 18.

German law - 18 years old and also in most EU countries, too but I know only one is British law - from 17 years old.

but 16 years old? It look like that he broke EU's law. The parents would be in trouble for unsupersivor their underage teenagers. It mean that they have to pay EVERYTHING including harsh penatly fine, not get cover by public health insurance which it cost them a lot of money for break the traffic law.

Cheri said:
Offering teens to drink or curious to drink is not helping the teens, You think drinking does not do anything for teens, Yes, drinking can damage their learning abilities, liver damaged. Are we supposed to ignored the what ifs signs such as autos accidents, or their health? Parents who offer drinks are giving them opportunity to go on a wrong path. Tsk Tsk! You think that if you teach responsible drinking to your children mostly likely they won't turn the worst? Not always true, Sometimes once a teen drinks, getting buzzed, walking around like a whopping dolly, would think it's funny and makes them happy, They would continue to do more. Don't be surprise how that would turn out. ;)

Okay, I respect your opinion but I am still disagree with you. Like what I say before is educate the children how to respect alochol.

Don't you know that wines and beer are good health for you? I'm wine lover and know my limit like everyone. My hubby's Great Grandad offered my hubby a beer when he was 14 years old because he beleive beer is good for prevent kidney stones and strenght... Just one beer... My hubby is not alcoholic addict because he knows his alcohol limit.

We drank one to two glass of wines at most evening or family meal but it doesn't mean that we are alocholic addict but know our limit, that's how we teach our children to drink wine and beer limit. We have wines and beer in the basement but my children didn't touch them or seeking to drink our wines and beers because they knows they are free to try wine or beer from us. They did and don't like it.

Is Red Wine Really Good for Your Health?[/B]
Good for LDL cholesterol and heart

http://www.mercola.com/2003/sep/10/red_wine.htm

The Real Story Behind The Benefits of Red Wine
An element of red wine, resveratrol has been found, in a number of studies, to provide a wonderful list of health benefits:
• An antioxidant
• Cancer-preventing agent
• Blood thinner
• Blood pressure lowering compound
• Anti-aging chemical

http://www.mercola.com/2004/oct/6/red_wine_benefits.htm

Research indicates that moderate red wine consumption may help protect against certain cancers and heart disease, and can have a positive effect on cholesterol levels and blood pressure.

The French seem to know something about the health benefits of red wine. In a study that compared French and German red wines, the French red wines delivered a greater health benefit due to their higher level of antioxidants. This may partially account for the "French paradox," where studies show that in areas of France where the diet is high in fat those who drink red wine with meals have a lower incidence of heart attack than other parts of the world. Due to vast differences in diets, the evidence is inconclusive, but experts believe that red wine contains certain compounds that help protect the heart. This has opened the door for other researchers to study the components in red wine that may be responsible for its health benefits.

http://www.red-wine-and-health.com/

White wine good for lungshttp://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/1998633.stm

White wine is good for your lungs, says study http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2002/05/21/wine21.xml

Beer contains vitamin B6http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art26729.asp

The beer's yeast curehttp://www.karlloren.com/biopsy/book/p6.htm#Yeast

Family Doctor and also doctor from clinic advised my hubby to drink one or two glass of red wine a day to prevent heart diease last year after he got heartrhymus in October 2004. We drank wine at most weekends.

I fear for my own son. here in state is 21 to drink, I am SOOOOOOO scare of losing my only son in alcohol overdose or drinking and drive, and so on that involve with alcohol.

It would be good idea to change to 25 unless if kids know what they are doing. I know, it's the mom feeling... :(

Back