Should the legal drinking age change?

I agreed with few such as DHB, Cheri, Angel etc...I rather stick with age 21. In State of CA, kids cannot get REAL Driver Liensce till they graudate from High School! I don't know if it does really work to reduce accdient...sorry it went off topic. I wanna to share that...that's what my mom told me. now?? I dunno

I agree with most of the members here. It should stay the way it is when the legal drinking age is at 21. If it was lowered down to 18, There would be alot of chaos breaking loose. For God's sake, There'd probably be alot of criminal activites going on but then it doesn't help that much because there's also criminal activities that are going on whether the legal drinking age is at 21 though.

to be frank with you... age 21 drinking is not working in my opinion and i agree with tamara's statement. the parents can teach the kids at home to handle the responsible manner when they drink the wines with dinner.

jewish children traditionally have a glass of wine as part of the religious ceremony accompanying the Friday evening meal. jewish families have very little alcoholism and almost no teen-age drunken driving.

"Many European countries permit minors accompanied by a parent to enjoy a glass of wine with a restaurant meal, typically beginning at age 12. In France, Germany, Italy and Spain, a young adult of 16 may buy wine or beer unaccompanied by a parent, whereas the drinking age for distilled beverages in Europe (and throughout most of the non-Islamic world) is 18.

"By the time a young European is old enough to drive a vehicle (at a sensible 18, certainly not at 15), he or she already has had some experience with responsible drinking and, more important, alcohol already has lost some of its allure."
- good article i found that in google.

I say bring back prohibition. Alcohol is an unnecessary evil that reduces our judgments and thought processes to that of a cave man. There's so much talk about the dangers of drugs, yet alcohol is far wors of a problem.

Interesting thread here. I´m agree that the drinking legal age should be lowered to 18.

If alcohol is legal for adults then why is it illegal for children?

Who says that these young people cannot drink responsibly? Of course they can only if they are properly educated about the responsiblity, they will be more likely to make intelligent decisions. It´s an exactly same as sex education because they belongs to health issues.

I agree with Tamara´s, DeafClimber, Backerman and Dennis´s statement.

sequoias said:
Better stick with 21 minimum because (no offense) Americans are not too smart and they drink and don't follow the laws, the ones who couldn't wait til 21 years old. They go really wild and are not careful with what they do.

If they aren´t mature enough to drink as what you say but how can they be mature enough to kill and die and vote for President?

To me, I would say that driving age should be increase to 18 and lower the drinking to 18.

Drinking legal age 21 doesn´t solve anything to prevent drunk driving and other drinking problem or whatever because it´s legal or not, people will still drink or whatever.

Yep, interesting thread and a lot of people respond. Glad to see some people think drinking legal age should be lowered to 18.

ButterflyGirl said:
Why should you feel sorry for the Americans? I know that most Americans parents are happy with the age of 21 being the legal age to drink. It really sickens me to see them allowing 14 to 17 years old kids to drink. They are still in school geez! What if they got drunk and missed school? They may become alcoholics and fail in school if they don't study hard enough. They are the ones that you should feel sorry for.

Nope, A lot of Americans are fighting to have the drinking legal age to be lower accord my American co-workers.

I´m wondering why under 21 years old can die for the country, legally sign contracts, have babies or abortions, own long guns, drive, vote, death penalty, serve in the army, sued, getting married etc EXCEPT alcohol. :roll:

How is that when you can get married and not able to have a glass of wine at your wedding?

Do you think they would not touch the alcohol because they are not 21 years old after move out from parent´s house to live their own place?

Why smoking is okay, not drinking? Did you knowthat cigarettes kill more people than drinking does?

What if 22 years old husband is not allow to take his 20 years old wife to concert, dancing, theater, romantic dinner lit, etc because they serve alcoholic beverages openly?

This is an illogical law and plain hypocrisy.

Liebling:-))) said:
Nope, A lot of Americans are fighting to have the drinking legal age to be lower accord my American co-workers.

I´m wondering why under 21 years old can die for the country, legally sign contracts, have babies or abortions, own long guns, drive, vote, death penalty, serve in the army, sued, getting married etc EXCEPT alcohol. :roll:

How is that when you can get married and not able to have a glass of wine at your wedding?

Do you think they would not touch the alcohol because they are not 21 years old after move out from parent´s house to live their own place?

Why smoking is okay, not drinking? Did you knowthat cigarettes kill more people than driking does?

What if 22 years old husband is not allow to take his 20 years old wife to concert, dancing, theater, romantic dinner lit, etc because they serve alcoholic beverages openly.

This is an illogical law and plain hypocrisy.

When you say a lot of Americans are fighting to lower the drinking age they may be the ones who are under 21 eager to drink. I do know that most American parents are happy with 21 being the legal age period.

Keep in your mind that most people nowadays don't get married at age 18.

That is your opinion but keep in your mind that the English and Germans drink WAY more than the Americans. They cannot live without drinking alcoholic beverages. I never forget the time I was dating an English guy. He would drink and drink every time we go out on a date. I dumped him because I was tired of smelling alcohol on his breath and tired of him being drunk all the times.

Tamara said:
This explain perfectly why I feel sorry for this American adult (18) to wait for their 21st birthday to allow to drink alcohlic, despite the fact they are old enough to go to war, married, buy a house, smoking, become a parent, voting, drive a car (I don't know how old american are allow to drive?).

Yes, I also feel bad for American, too. I learned from my American co-workers today and also remember from newspaper at few years ago about American parents who gave out the birthday party for their 18 years old son in their house and invited his friends.
The neighbor reported with complaint to police about noise. The police turned up the party and arrested the parents, son & friends because of alcohol. They went court and pay penalty fines for break the law. It´s sad that they have no freedom of privacy. I think it´s absurd because they should be glad that privacy parties in the houses are much better and safe than go to somewhere and have car accident. What the parents doing is SAFETY.

As a parent I make sure to let my girls to drink as long as it has LOW alcohlic content, I won't let them to drink stronger like spirits etc, it must be on SATURDAY only at special occassions - not every saturdays for casual drinks etc.

Yes it is my responsible to make sure my girls are sensible to handle with it and open minded

Exactly

ButterflyGirl said:
When you say a lot of Americans are fighting to lower the drinking age they may be the ones who are under 21 eager to drink. I do know that most American parents are happy with 21 being the legal age period.

Keep in your mind that most people nowadays don't get married at age 18.

That is your opinion but keep in your mind that the English and Germans drink WAY more than the Americans. They cannot live without drinking alcoholic beverages. I never forget the time I was dating an English guy. He would drink and drink every time we go out on a date. I dumped him because I was tired of smelling alcohol on his breath and tired of him being drunk all the times.

Nope, I would suggest you to visit google to check with American forums then you will be surprised.

Don´t forget that I work together with Americans. They are not under 21 years old. I would like to remind you that I work for US Army caserne.

The statistic shown that US have high drinking problem than Europe. Again, I would suggest you to check with google and ask for statistic.

Don't you know that during Prohibitation, there is plenty of birth of organized crimes! Murders, fights, and several crimes were shot up big time back then during prohibation. After the prohibation was partly repeled, the crimes nose dive because there is nothing to do illegal business with alcohol anymore.
All because of black market was so available to make huge profits. Just same way with Narcotics, I am not surprise there is multi-trillion dollars business with narcotics across the world! All because of this stupid law!

Again, I am STILL in favor of 21, even though some kids do sneak and drink. There is no way to 100% control, but to give them "Speed bumps".

apathrev said:
I say bring back prohibition. Alcohol is an unnecessary evil that reduces our judgments and thought processes to that of a cave man. There's so much talk about the dangers of drugs, yet alcohol is far wors of a problem.

Liebling:-))) said:
Nope, I would suggest you to visit google to check with American forums then you will be surprised.

Don´t forget that I work together with Americans. They are not under 21 years old. I would like to remind you that I work for US Army caserne.

The statistic shown that US have high drinking problem than Europe. Again, I would suggest you to check with google and ask for statistic.
Don't forget that I live right here in America ;)

Tamara said:
Also some foods like sherry jelly trifle, brandy custard, brandy cream has low alcohlic inside and no one minded about children eating it.

Yes, flavour addition in any foods. Did you know that "flavour" mask in alcohol? Yes flavour is add form of alcohol, oil, etc. I will add the link here when I find English link.

Also medical, too.

I would suggest everyone to check the back of foods label (canned, powder packet, etc). It written "Flavour". That´s why I use homemade recipes, fresh or frozen foods.

Drinking should never be compared to allowing to drive, get married, be a parents, smoke, etc.....Kids at the age of 18 intend to drink as they party on for hours, and if American would have change the law back to allowing 18 years old to drink, then we will be seeing more and more accident from drinking and driving, yet I don't want any of my children to be the next victims, and I'm sure none of you here would want anything to happen to your children or your loves ones.... :Ohno:

For kids who are 18 wants to have a glass of wine or beer for their wedding, then maybe they should wait until the age of 21 to get married, that way divorces wouldn't be so high when young kids intend to get married to quickly without thinking, is this what I really want?....They have a whole life ahead of them, and they should spending that time by following their dreams yet they jump to quick by tieing a knot, and later on in life, they wish they never got married in the first place.... :dunno:

diehardbiker65 said:
Don't you know that during Prohibitation, there is plenty of birth of organized crimes! Murders, fights, and several crimes were shot up big time back then during prohibation. After the prohibation was partly repeled, the crimes nose dive because there is nothing to do illegal business with alcohol anymore.
All because of black market was so available to make huge profits. Just same way with Narcotics, I am not surprise there is multi-trillion dollars business with narcotics across the world! All because of this stupid law!

Again, I am STILL in favor of 21, even though some kids do sneak and drink. There is no way to 100% control, but to give them "Speed bumps".

I'm well aware of the amount of bootlegging during the 1920's. That was a completely different age back then.

^Angel^ said:
Drinking should never be compared to allowing to drive, get married, be a parents, smoke, etc.....Kids at the age of 18 intend to drink as they party on for hours, and if American would have change the law back to allowing 18 years old to drink, then we will be seeing more and more accident from drinking and driving, yet I don't want any of my children to be the next victims, and I'm sure none of you here would want anything to happen to your children or your loves ones.... :Ohno:

For kids who are 18 wants to have a glass of wine or beer for their wedding, then maybe they should wait until the age of 21 to get married, that way divorces wouldn't be so high when young kids intend to get married to quickly without thinking, is this what I really want?....They have a whole life ahead of them, and they should spending that time by following their dreams yet they jump to quick by tieing a knot, and later on in life, they wish they never did in the first place..... :dunno:
Very well said! I agree with ^Angel^ on this.

Originally Posted by Tamara said:
Also some foods like sherry jelly trifle, brandy custard, brandy cream has low alcohlic inside and no one minded about children eating it.

My children do not eat that, so I guess I have nothing to worry about ;)

Back