is it fair to call blacks "african americans"?

I am not angry at Irish people...
Irish people were treated as slaves too.

Read this...

Between 1558 and 1603, the British government sought to meet the needs of a growing empire by sending tens of thousands of Irish men, women and children to the New World. They were technically indentured servants not slaves but this distinction was illusory: the initial term of indenture could be extended indefinitely. McCafferty explains this neglected piece of history in the preface to her debut novel. The brief recital of historical facts sets the tone for a story in which much is told and little is shown. This tendency is inherent in the novel's form: most of the tale is delivered as an oral narrative, told by Cot Daley, who was 10 years old when she was kidnapped from Galway and sent to Barbados. Now a young woman, she has been imprisoned for her role in an uprising in which Irish servants and African slaves rebelled against the plantation owners. Cot's largely unrelieved rendition of her life story paragraph after paragraph of her "testimony" never acquires the immediacy of a compelling voice, being more a litany of brutal experiences than an affecting insight into a woman's inner life. Interruptions by a secondary character the British officer interrogating Daley are jarring reminders of the awkward construction. Unfortunately, this form undermines the author's gifts as a stylist. And despite the legendary Celtic propensity for poetic speech, it is hard to believe that an unschooled Irish peasant would say anything even approximating "For once again I felt the manic demiurge called hope."

Product Description:
Kidnapped from Galway, Ireland, as a young girl, shipped to Barbados, and forced to work the land alongside African slaves, Cot Daley's life has been shaped by injustice. In this stunning debut novel, Kate McCafferty re-creates, through Cot's story, the history of the more than fifty thousand Irish who were sold as indentured servants to Caribbean plantation owners during the seventeenth century. As Cot tells her story-the brutal journey to Barbados, the harrowing years of fieldwork on the sugarcane plantations, her marriage to an African slave and rebel leader, and the fate of her children--her testimony reveals an exceptional woman's astonishing life.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...104-8089767-0337505?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

view

Meg said:
That would be more likely British settlers. Most Irish immigrants came to America way after Civil War. Even these who came to US before Civil War, they all moved to places like Boston and were forced to fight in Civil War against the South. The Irish were treated like shit for several generations before Joe Kennedy helped many get over anti-Irish feelings. JFK was the first Irish-American Catholic elected to Presidency.

My family came to US in late 1880s and lived in poverty stricken Applachians before emerging out to West Coast.

Better research it more, hon.
that's quite true, Meg...somehow I've read history books back in school and alot and I mean a WHOLE lot of immigrants including irishs, scottish, germans, and even the british people try to come to America for a "better life" but their wish didn't quite come true as most immigrants moved to the states of New England like New York, for example, many lived in dirty and small apartments, many were actually still poor and many had some difficulty looking for jobs, and even though they used children to do work and you proably heard about the "sweat shop" where women stayed and work for hours sewing and sewing AND sewing and they don't even get worth the money they get paid for. I think it happens around the mid 1920s before the great depression occurs, correct?

Miss*Pinocchio said:
I am not angry at Irish people...
Irish people were treated as slaves too.

Read this...

Between 1558 and 1603, the British government sought to meet the needs of a growing empire by sending tens of thousands of Irish men, women and children to the New World. They were technically indentured servants not slaves but this distinction was illusory: the initial term of indenture could be extended indefinitely. McCafferty explains this neglected piece of history in the preface to her debut novel. The brief recital of historical facts sets the tone for a story in which much is told and little is shown. This tendency is inherent in the novel's form: most of the tale is delivered as an oral narrative, told by Cot Daley, who was 10 years old when she was kidnapped from Galway and sent to Barbados. Now a young woman, she has been imprisoned for her role in an uprising in which Irish servants and African slaves rebelled against the plantation owners. Cot's largely unrelieved rendition of her life story paragraph after paragraph of her "testimony" never acquires the immediacy of a compelling voice, being more a litany of brutal experiences than an affecting insight into a woman's inner life. Interruptions by a secondary character the British officer interrogating Daley are jarring reminders of the awkward construction. Unfortunately, this form undermines the author's gifts as a stylist. And despite the legendary Celtic propensity for poetic speech, it is hard to believe that an unschooled Irish peasant would say anything even approximating "For once again I felt the manic demiurge called hope."

Product Description:
Kidnapped from Galway, Ireland, as a young girl, shipped to Barbados, and forced to work the land alongside African slaves, Cot Daley's life has been shaped by injustice. In this stunning debut novel, Kate McCafferty re-creates, through Cot's story, the history of the more than fifty thousand Irish who were sold as indentured servants to Caribbean plantation owners during the seventeenth century. As Cot tells her story-the brutal journey to Barbados, the harrowing years of fieldwork on the sugarcane plantations, her marriage to an African slave and rebel leader, and the fate of her children--her testimony reveals an exceptional woman's astonishing life.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...104-8089767-0337505?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

view
that's about true...

many people were used as their "personal property" about everywhere in Europea and Africa...don't even forget that the jews were slaves many years ago too. I wouldn't even be surprised if some European settlers used native americans as slaves when they settled America years ago as well.

Everyone was once a slave, and it doesn't have to be by skin color but by their culture and the way they live their lives, etc...some people think that they would be stupid enough to do the work for them but nope...they were actually the ones who are stupid themselves, indeed.

don't be surprised that slavery still exist today...and there is still some slavery somewhere in Africa now but America and other countries are only doing very little help to free the slaves but can't do much since it's not "their business" as they always say... :roll:

someone just got to stand up and do something, ya know.

I did spoke with my DF about Africian-American. He was dislike it big time. He was angry with that name. Also, he said that he is not born in Africian but only America. I told him so What do you would like me to call you? He said "black" or "american-black". So far, i always called him "black" which he feel comfortable.
I never called black people "nigga" or "******" which i can't dare to say. I knew they will feel insulted and might do something as dangerous.
All i do respect with Black people as Skin and Culture.

Mommyof3

I personally don't think that black people are any more "African American" than I am "German American" Most black people were not born in Africa any more than I was born in Germany. We're Americans. There's a reason that the US was referred to as the "Melting Pot". But lately, it seems that instead of wanting to be "one nation" people want to be "various ethnicities all living in the same country". I have no problem with celebraties your past. I myself enjoy researching my family's history. However, I was born in America and I should be called an American, just as black people should be called Americans.

Ethereal said:
I personally don't think that black people are any more "African American" than I am "German American" Most black people were not born in Africa any more than I was born in Germany. We're Americans. There's a reason that the US was referred to as the "Melting Pot". But lately, it seems that instead of wanting to be "one nation" people want to be "various ethnicities all living in the same country". I have no problem with celebraties your past. I myself enjoy researching my family's history. However, I was born in America and I should be called an American, just as black people should be called Americans.
:gpost:

I just wonder.....
Why is that okay for Black person to Black person called each other as "Brother", "Nigga", "******", or other words?
BUT White person are not allowed to called Black person as Brother, nigga, others becuz the black people will feel insulted or know that white people are not in their culture.
So what s wrong with that?
What about mixed/mutt? Are they as Mutt allowed to called Black as Nigga, Brother, or others? Or Will black put label on Mutt as White?
Any add comments, pls do :)
Mommyof3

Mommyof3 said:
...What about mixed/mutt? Are they as Mutt allowed to called Black as Nigga, Brother, or others? Or Will black put label on Mutt as White?
Mommyof3
Mutt?! :shock:

Here is BIGGGIE INGORANT AROUND!!!!

Don't be shocked when I would like to make a few comments..... I ain't try to be attack on whoever's personal as well as who is being ingroant!

Steel said:
of course, blacks were obviously from africa because of where the skin color comes from...when you are under the hot steamy sun and your skin turns darker and darker...etc
Steel, you look like "wanna be" the being idiot ingorant YOURSELF... SIGH*** OMG!!! S@#T MAN!! whoa, that is very offence and try put so called blacks on being ingorant and you want them believe that black turned by the scorched sun. Because they are being very ingorants unlike me. Are you a looking idiot or something??? you are being ingorant...you believe in evole like ape changed into black half human and half ape.. Huh?

I never consider myself negro, african-american, moor on and on list that what whites calling them those confusion names whatever they put upon.. I never call myself those names , WILL NEVER , BE NEVER put various names on me for rest!!! STAY away from the so called blacks, because you are f#%&*@ being ingorant like others..

Miss*Pinocchio said:
why we have to be black american? there is no black german, white african, black russian, black chinese, black japanese, black mexican, black canadian, black french, black spanish, or something like that...
Miss*Pinocchio, stop being deny all whatever you named it. HELL YEAHH----there is black german, white african, black russian, black chinese, black japanese, black mexican, black canadian, black french, black spanish...go and go on list.... I have serval friends who is original from country, one lady is black, she is orignal german where she born, she is the so called black greman woman. three guys are black, they born from cuban, they live in usa after they immgranted here. they told me they proud that they are black cubans, they don't wanted to have part of black americans.. that is facts.. You better go back to study their history again!

look at photos from sites below:

mi2.jpg
Thandie Newton is the daughter of White britian and African priceness. She was born from africa

tt7.jpg
Sisters Morwy are daughter of white greman man and Black american woman. They were born from germany

salli.jpg
Salli Richardson-Whitfield is daughter of White American and Black American Woman. She was born from USA, illionis.

314095.jpg
Lenny Kravitz is the son of White Russian and Black American woman. Of course He was born from USA..

I know you don't like what I'm saying, but I'm going to tell you anyway. 'Cause I can prove what I'm saying.

NOTE: The true story based on: who did created the white nation out of creeping nations?

in 6,000 years ago, the truth of the word based on the black man fathered his white childern, created new white nation as beginning of his kingdom before black nation was death, because immigrants supressed his country with their massive like exactly its pattern here..

Last edited:
Reba said:
Mutt which is Mulatto.. it is person who is lineage from the so called black and the white. Mexian and Mulatto are more different ... Mexian is not Mulatto.. Get it?

Look at my photo from below

This is adorable son and me.. He is My blood and mind!

NOTE:Everyone, Dont attempt to kidnap my son away from me...

Attachments

• Son related his Father.JPG
    Son related his Father.JPG
    10.8 KB · Views: 21
Mommyof3 said:
I did spoke with my DF about Africian-American. He was dislike it big time. He was angry with that name. Also, he said that he is not born in Africian but only America. I told him so What do you would like me to call you? He said "black" or "american-black". So far, i always called him "black" which he feel comfortable.
I never called black people "nigga" or "******" which i can't dare to say. I knew they will feel insulted and might do something as dangerous.
All i do respect with Black people as Skin and Culture.

Mommyof3

^5... same with my DF... He prefers call Black.. too..
I wouldnt dare call n---a or whatever offense to now days..
dont need to say n---a... just say. like "where is that cute black ass"
hehe.. :D

ckfarbes said:
Steel, you look like "wanna be" the being idiot ingorant YOURSELF... SIGH*** OMG!!! S@#T MAN!! whoa, that is very offence and try put so called blacks on being ingorant and you want them believe that black turned by the scorched sun. Because they are being very ingorants unlike me. Are you a looking idiot or something??? you are being ingorant...you believe in evole like ape changed into black half human and half ape.. Huh?

Steel had no intentions of offending anybody here. What Steel said is pretty much the truth of why the people from Africa, South America, Southern Asia and Australia are black. From what I believe, ultraviolet light from the sun does affect our skin colour, period. Black people who moves north to Europe, North America, and Northern Asia from the south like South America, Africa, Southern Asia and Australia tend to get lighter in each generation if they remain in the north due to weaker ultraviolet light So are their facial structures. The same thing would happen to white people if they move south and stay there for several generation, they'll get darker because of the strong ultraviolet light.

It's the ultraviolet light from the sun that affects everybody's skin.

Mommyof3 said:
I just wonder.....
Why is that okay for Black person to Black person called each other as "Brother", "Nigga", "******", or other words?
BUT White person are not allowed to called Black person as Brother, nigga, others becuz the black people will feel insulted or know that white people are not in their culture.
What about mixed/mutt? Are they as Mutt allowed to called Black as Nigga, Brother, or others? Or Will black put label on Mutt as White?
Mommyof3

Yeah, I was going to say that too!! :D

ckfarbes said:
Miss*Pinocchio, stop being deny all whatever you named it. HELL YEAHH----there is black german, white african, black russian, black chinese, black japanese, black mexican, black canadian, black french, black spanish...go and go on list.... I have serval friends who is original from country, one lady is black, she is orignal german where she born, she is the so called black greman woman. three guys are black, they born from cuban, they live in usa after they immgranted here. they told me they proud that they are black cubans, they don't wanted to have part of black americans.. that is facts.. You better go back to study their history again!

When I went to Paris... I saw Blacks there... and I think they are French...
All I know that they live in Paris. I saw many people with different color there... and I don't care, they are still French to me.

It would be sad to call them Black French or whatever... because
it would be like saying the white people there are the real french people.

And the black girl in the SPice Girls... you know she isn't American or from African, but the way she talked, she is definitely from England.
It didn't click in my mind that she is a Black British or Black Europe...
All I know is that she is from UK and she speaks like British people do.

Mommyof3 said:
I just wonder.....
Mommyof3

I don't say brother or sister... not all black people said that.
Not all Black people said nigga or whatever.
Mixed/Mutt people can say that too...

We don't want white people to talk like us....

Just like Asians, they bow down...
And Spanish people would say, "Amigo".
Australia people would say, "mate"

So we African Americans got our own slang.

Miss*Pinocchio said:

I understand that and agree that black people have their own slang. However, I've never met a hispanic who was offended at being called "amigo", nor have I met an Australian who was offended at being called "mate". Why, then, are you comparing them to your "black slang" when most black people do take offense at being referred to by your "black slang" by non-blacks?

(Note: I obviously have not met every hispanic, Australian, or black. I'm only referring to those I've met.)

Miss*Pinocchio said:
I don't say brother or sister... not all black people said that.
Not all Black people said nigga or whatever.
Mixed/Mutt people can say that too...

So what about Interracial Relationship? What if white woman dating with Black guy and want to learn about black culture? Why can't white women talk like black slang? Why can't white woman dress like black style? Why can't white woman have hairdo like black weave? What if White woman and Black man have Mixed/Mutt children? What will children chose? Black or White or Both Lanuage and Culture?

Mommyof3

yeah...and what about relationships between white men and black women?

I know one black female celebrity, Traci Bingham, who does go out with a white man...

hell, there are tons of interracial relationships happening everyday... I guess people just likes to be with someone "total" different and that's still normal, right?

of course it is but others who thinks it's "wrong" are just afraid of the changes, so they should stick to it and accept that it's now the 21st century...not 20th century.

ckfarbes said:
Mutt which is Mulatto.. it is person who is lineage from the so called black and the white. Mexian and Mulatto are more different ... Mexian is not Mulatto.. Get it?

Look at my photo from below

This is adorable son and me.. He is My blood and mind!

NOTE:Everyone, Dont attempt to kidnap my son away from me...
Hey ckfarbes...

two words:

CHILL OUT!

who says that I was trying to offend blacks without a good reason? In fact, I was only trying to correct the "term" for some blacks here in America, since it just wouldn't really make sense if a black is called "african american" even though that black is NOT from africa, but his race orginally was...but he's not so he is an american citizen, and I thought, perhas it would be more apporicate if he is considered "black american" or whatever like that...if you've read my previous posts, you'll know what I'm talking about so don't jump to any consultions saying that I'm offending blacks about them turning black by the hot sun...hell, white people can get alittle dark when they get a "tan" at the beach or whatever like that...so it's kind of like if you accidently drop a red sock with all the white clothes in the laundry machine, and then about an hour later, you find all your clothes pink...and it was the damn red sock! skin colors don't really matter, but nationality DO matter because it wouldn't make sense if you are born an citizen in a country like america, but other people call you (country's name) american because of where your race is orginally from, and I find that kind of disrespectful because they are no longer from that country or content, so it's just more suitable to call them the proper name by the only name of the country they are REALLY in.

hope you get this.

Steel said:
Hey ckfarbes...

two words:

CHILL OUT!

who says that I was trying to offend blacks without a good reason? In fact, I was only trying to correct the "term" for some blacks here in America, since it just wouldn't really make sense if a black is called "african american" even though that black is NOT from africa, but his race orginally was...but he's not so he is an american citizen, and I thought, perhas it would be more apporicate if he is considered "black american" or whatever like that...if you've read my previous posts, you'll know what I'm talking about so don't jump to any consultions saying that I'm offending blacks about them turning black by the hot sun...hell, white people can get alittle dark when they get a "tan" at the beach or whatever like that...so it's kind of like if you accidently drop a red sock with all the white clothes in the laundry machine, and then about an hour later, you find all your clothes pink...and it was the damn red sock! skin colors don't really matter, but nationality DO matter because it wouldn't make sense if you are born an citizen in a country like america, but other people call you (country's name) american because of where your race is orginally from, and I find that kind of disrespectful because they are no longer from that country or content, so it's just more suitable to call them the proper name by the only name of the country they are REALLY in.

hope you get this.

Yeah Steel, you are offending us...
African American is okay...
It seems now White people and you wanna
take away the name African from us...
It is bad enough that the White people in
the past to take Africans away from their
home and family in Africa and brought them
here and making them by forcing and put
them in chains and stuff... work hard for Slave owners,
and raping and whipping...
And then 1960's and stuff like that...