is it fair to call blacks "african americans"?

Reba said:
So we shouldn't call "white" people white because that is a skin color?

If a "black" person lives in Canada, is it proper to say "African-Canadian"?
What about a black person living in Sweden? African-Swede?

What about someone who has an "Asian" mom and an "African" dad who was born in France then moves to USA--"Asian-African-French-American"?

It gets complicated, huh?

lol pretty much complicated yeah...even Tiger Woods has an asian mother and a black (african american) father. so I guess Tiger Woods would be something like asian-african-american...? eh I dunno what kind of asian her mother is, but yeah that's what I'm talking about here people...when someone ask another person what's race he is in, and what nationality he is from, things get complicated and kind of personal too, you know? I dunno...if blacks still wants to be called "african americans" then I respect them to be called that way, even though they aren't in africa anymore but of course their families from past generations were though.

I just spoke with a few students at RIT. There's one gal who's seriously offended if anyone calls her black. There's another gal who prefers to be called black. There are a few who don't really care.

VamPyroX said:
I just spoke with a few students at RIT. There's one gal who's seriously offended if anyone calls her black. There's another gal who prefers to be called black. There are a few who don't really care.
That's the way it seems to shake out. If you know at least three black/African Deafies, you will get at least four different opinions.

Most of the Deafies here (SC) sign "black" and "white" when identifying people.

Most of the schools use "African-American" or "ethnic".

Most of the hearies who sign are afraid to offend.

VamPyroX said:
hmmm...I guess everyone's just different :lol:

thanks for letting us know, though.

Now that i've been thinking about it...it seems that most blacks like to be referred to as "african americans" because of their culture and stuff...obviously there is a black culture, like there's a deaf culture...so the black culture just likes to keep "african american" in history and memories of what they've went through during the early years of America when there was slavery, and after slavery ended, there were laws when whites and blacks had to go to different places, and some organizations like the KKK who wants to get rid of blacks, etc... the blacks sure went through alot of hard times so I guess it's something that they want to keep to teach us that they've fought hard for their rights and their own freedom, etc... so I guess I have to respect that and let them keep the term as they wish for their own history and culture.

I guess that's why there's a saying like what Jamie Foxx used to say,

"I'm black and I'm proud!"

:lol:

hmmm...why don't BET change their name to "AAET"? (African American Entertaint Televison)

No? yeah that's I thought...not really cool lol

Last edited:
Steel said:
hmmm...why don't BET change their name to "AAET"? (African American Entertaint Televison)
The NAACP hasn't changed their name either.

Miss*Pinocchio said:
The word Negros isn't a bad word... at least we know that we were
probably from Nigeria.
So anyway... we will stick with African American.
the word "Negros" may not be a bad word...but would be VERY insulting to most blacks, indeed.

check out this article.

http://www.bet.com/Site+Management/...ferrer={03CE5360-2620-42CB-AD7E-77E4249C5FB7}

pretty depressing, eh?

even women and children were murdered cold blooded just because of their skin color... *sigh* what the hell is this world coming to?

they even hung those innocents up onto the electricity poles!

1fc7ab0d-5001-a454-6320-7f5c94e9183b-lynching_bb.jpg

Well, what if Asians wanna be call Yellow Americans?
And Indians, Red Americans?
Or Greeks, Olive Americans?

So why not just stick with African Americans...???

Blonde or yellow hair.
Brunette or brown hair.

Whatever.

Miss*Pinocchio said:
Well, what if Asians wanna be call Yellow Americans?
And Indians, Red Americans?
Or Greeks, Olive Americans?

So why not just stick with African Americans...???

Blonde or yellow hair.
Brunette or brown hair.

Whatever.
Olive? I thought they were supposed to be called Latin...lol aw well.

Reba said:
That's the way it seems to shake out. If you know at least three black/African Deafies, you will get at least four different opinions.

Most of the Deafies here (SC) sign "black" and "white" when identifying people.

Most of the schools use "African-American" or "ethnic".

Most of the hearies who sign are afraid to offend.
Yes. The original sign language for "Africa" was by outlining the shape of the country with one hand. Now, some blacks prefer the sign similar to "beautiful". :roll: Okay, if you wanna be beautiful... I want to be beautiful too. Therefore, my sign for "Irish" should be "beautiful" too!

damn...so many Irishs in America...no wonder that's why there's a St. Patrick holiday in March...lol

Steel said:
damn...so many Irishs in America...no wonder that's why there's a St. Patrick holiday in March...lol

Heck yes...Portland has the largest St Patricks Day Celebration (4 days) on the West Coast. I am all gungho on St. Paddy's Day!!

Sorry to be off on topic but Vampy did bring up a good point and I wanted to chime in that :)

African American is a more formal word

Black is very informal

negro is downright offensive and stupid. (ravensteven)

When im doing sign language i sign "black people" because i dont know how to sign african american yet (im still learning)

but when i talk to people orally, then i always use african american unless im with my friends of either race then i dont mind saying black beause they know i mean nothing by it.

if im talking about someone, i say "that person" i dont say "that african american"

i do my best to avoid racial profiling

Meg said:
Amen! Go Irish Pride!!!! :cheers: (that is with Guiness)

Yeah Irish people used to own Slaves in the south,
raping my ancestors...
that is why I am light skinned Black and got an Irish last name.

:(

Miss*Pinocchio said:
Yeah Irish people used to own Slaves in the south,
raping my ancestors...
that is why I am light skinned Black and got an Irish last name.

:(

That would be more likely British settlers. Most Irish immigrants came to America way after Civil War. Even these who came to US before Civil War, they all moved to places like Boston and were forced to fight in Civil War against the South. The Irish were treated like shit for several generations before Joe Kennedy helped many get over anti-Irish feelings. JFK was the first Irish-American Catholic elected to Presidency.

My family came to US in late 1880s and lived in poverty stricken Applachians before emerging out to West Coast.

Better research it more, hon.

Yes I did. I went to family reunion, and we looked in library...
I looked in www.Ancestry.com .

And it tracked down the Masters and Slave Owners....
and it said they were from Ireland.

Miss*Pinocchio said:
Yes I did. I went to family reunion, and we looked in library...
I looked in www.Ancestry.com .

And it tracked down the Masters and Slave Owners....
and it said they were from Ireland.

Yes but thats in minority. It doesnt mean all Irish people are that way. It doesnt mean you should assume all of us Irish folks are that way as much as I dont assume anything about other communities, either. My family never owned slaves or whatnot.

Sorry to be off on topic here, guys. :(

Back