AllDeaf.com
Mobile - Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Deaf Community > General Chat
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Like Tree211Likes

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-25-2011, 08:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
kokonut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 16,054
What are some of the disadvantages of being deaf?

Now, before y'all get huffy and red-faced, consider this question for a moment (and I can just predict how some will respond here, too). This question here is like when you're in a job interview and the person asks you to name some of the cons about yourself after you highlighted several pages of pros about yourself. This is an offshoot from an earlier thread on the advantages of being deaf. Now, what are the disadvantages of being deaf?

__________________
Oh, goody. She's gone. No sign of her. Oh, yeahhhhh! And him, too. Sweet!

Man, what a total mess. What a big fail. I am just laughing at it all. Gotta have sense of humor in life.


Paranoia much? Run to Mama then.
kokonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on AllDeaf.com
   
Unread 05-25-2011, 08:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 22,250
Not able to use the voice phone and no efficent communication skills with hearing customers and co workers in a communication heavy environment.
sequoias is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2011, 09:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 463
^^ a few good examples. Ive encountered horrible difficulty with people being unwilling to cooperate with me deaf. Most hearing people dont have an outlook like deaf/hoh do.

Went to local college, teachers wouldnt cooperate..FAIL
__________________
tigersharkdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2011, 09:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
deafskeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,527
Dealing with people who think they're superior and smarter than you are because of your deafness. I'd mention those oral deaf who make fun of the ASL deaf and think they're better than those who use sign. I can think of at least one but I won't mention his name.
jillio, shel90 and LDNanna like this.
__________________
Left ear implanted with Med-El on April 24 2007.
Activated on May 9th.
Upgraded to Opus 2 9/10/2010

Think Pink.
FREE JILLIO!
deafskeptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2011, 09:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
kokonut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 16,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigersharkdude View Post
^^ a few good examples. Ive encountered horrible difficulty with people being unwilling to cooperate with me deaf. Most hearing people dont have an outlook like deaf/hoh do.

Went to local college, teachers wouldnt cooperate..FAIL
Good examples.
__________________
Oh, goody. She's gone. No sign of her. Oh, yeahhhhh! And him, too. Sweet!

Man, what a total mess. What a big fail. I am just laughing at it all. Gotta have sense of humor in life.


Paranoia much? Run to Mama then.
kokonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2011, 09:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered User
 
kokonut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 16,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafskeptic View Post
Dealing with people who think they're superior and smarter than you are because of your deafness. I'd mention those oral deaf who make fun of the ASL deaf and think they're better than those who use sign. I can think of at least one but I won't mention his name.
Maybe my prediction did come true?
__________________
Oh, goody. She's gone. No sign of her. Oh, yeahhhhh! And him, too. Sweet!

Man, what a total mess. What a big fail. I am just laughing at it all. Gotta have sense of humor in life.


Paranoia much? Run to Mama then.
kokonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2011, 11:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,340
All I can think of is........not being able to hear.
Everything else is possible.
Mudkipz and basicspaces like this.
rolling7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2011, 12:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
Dream Weaver
 
TXgolfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Everywhere
Posts: 19,043
Not being able to listen to music on long road trips....that's tough.
__________________
He who answers before listening-that is his folly and his shame..
TXgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2011, 04:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
AJWSmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 729
As an oral deafie: not being able to participate in the group conversations of hearies. It's made much worse by the hearies being unwilling to make small changes that would allow me to join in.
__________________
Born deaf, but raised to use voice. Profound hearing loss in both ears (90-105dB). Now learning sign language.
You can also find me on twitter as @AJWSmith and on Google+ as AJW Smith
AJWSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2011, 07:11 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Alberta,Canada
Posts: 386
Send a message via Skype™ to JabberJay
Family that doesn't believe me when I say I can't hear them when they are walking away.

People who assume you hear when you go out and you have to try to get your point across (cashiers and those people) while at the same time when you tell them you can't hear will mumble and look down at the cash so you can't see what they're saying.
KristinaB likes this.
JabberJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2011, 07:21 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Toronto Ontario
Posts: 4,633
From the Cdn Hearing Society/Toronto lessons-how to deal with your hearing loss-don't hear: say so-right there! Don't bluff.

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07
__________________
Get Real:Implanted Sunnybrook/Toronto -Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07
drphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2011, 07:53 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 24,487
Really,are you serious? Why so bitter.
Frisky Feline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2011, 08:24 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered User
 
kokonut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 16,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisky Feline View Post
Really,are you serious? Why so bitter.
So, the rest of the people who responded and gave examples on the disadvantages of being deaf as being bitter?

I just see them as recognizing the advantages and disadvantages of being deaf. It's the ol' Ying/Yang thing.
__________________
Oh, goody. She's gone. No sign of her. Oh, yeahhhhh! And him, too. Sweet!

Man, what a total mess. What a big fail. I am just laughing at it all. Gotta have sense of humor in life.


Paranoia much? Run to Mama then.
kokonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2011, 08:25 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered User
 
kokonut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 16,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by neomayja View Post
Family that doesn't believe me when I say I can't hear them when they are walking away.

People who assume you hear when you go out and you have to try to get your point across (cashiers and those people) while at the same time when you tell them you can't hear will mumble and look down at the cash so you can't see what they're saying.
I can relate to that sometimes. :/
KarissaMann05 likes this.
__________________
Oh, goody. She's gone. No sign of her. Oh, yeahhhhh! And him, too. Sweet!

Man, what a total mess. What a big fail. I am just laughing at it all. Gotta have sense of humor in life.


Paranoia much? Run to Mama then.
kokonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2011, 08:59 AM   #15 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
KarissaMann05's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Salem, Oregon
Posts: 6,737
Send a message via AIM to KarissaMann05 Send a message via MSN to KarissaMann05 Send a message via Yahoo to KarissaMann05 Send a message via Skype™ to KarissaMann05
- Can't hear what they say, of course. Especially everything that I am not able to hear.

- If a huge object hammers you down but you can't hear it from behind, so it could harm or kill you. Same with some animals.

- During night time, you may have to stay alert and wary wherever you go if you're alone (or you're only with one friend, one relative, or someone you personally know).

- If a boss find out that you're deaf, he or she may deny your application so quiet. He or she could call/text/v-phone you and lie to you in order to avoid having you at any career. It is not matter if you're signer, or even if you have your great speech skills (see "A").
A.) Which do you think someone would pick? Oralist A with skillful speech & fantastic listening skills, or Oralist B with poor speech ability but good talking? Go figure...

Hmmm... I am not sure if I can think of more...
__________________

(Clickable Stamp)

Vampire is so overrated!
Let's swim with merfolks for some fun!

Psst, I do love cougars. *runs away*
KarissaMann05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2011, 10:55 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered User
 
rockin'robin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 20,170
Over the years and thru the courses of time...I can think of thousands of disadvantages of being deaf....Since a HA or a CI would not benefit me...I've learned and accepted it, and deal with it!..No excuses, no pity...and no shame!
rockin'robin is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2011, 11:49 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Babyblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 12,232
One was when my kids were little, I had a hard time letting them in another room or out of my sight. I was always afraid I would not hear them if they called out for help.

Not being able to hear someone sneak up on me unintentionally. I am suprised I have not killed anyone yet doing that.

Being left out in group conversation among hearing people.

Too many to list.

In saying that.... I have learned to adapt and deal with the situation. Many of my friends and family are understanding and they do learn in time.
Babyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2011, 12:06 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered User
 
CSign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Best Coast, USA
Posts: 3,283
I'm not deaf, but I would agree with BabyBlue about the group conversations. Also, going to a play where there is no terp. I brought my son to see my cousin in the play, "Annie" and I knew he was not hearing what they were saying. I was sitting next to him, interpreting what was being said. He was using his peripheral vision while watching the play. After about 15 min, he turned his body away from me so he couldn't see me. I took his cue, and after we left I asked why he did that. He said a lady was staring at us. I went on to explain to him why she was looking, but it still broke my heart.
CSign is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2011, 12:48 PM   #19 (permalink)
Your Name Here!
 
Bottesini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: HFA
Posts: 40,457
Blog Entries: 1
I still wonder what a man who came to the door when I was the only one home was talking about.

He was showing me sheets of coupons that are in newspaper inserts. I don't open the door to strangers, and I just signed to him that I am deaf.

He took that as a cue to hold the coupons closer to the window, but I still have no idea what he wanted.
rockin'robin likes this.
__________________
Hello Hulk!
Bottesini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2011, 12:56 PM   #20 (permalink)
FOX
 
Foxrac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Heart of Dixie
Posts: 39,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoias View Post
Not able to use the voice phone and no efficent communication skills with hearing customers and co workers in a communication heavy environment.
Yup, that's one of biggest issue that I had deal with it.

For this thread, unable to hear the door ring and big sucks for UPS or Fedex that require a signature, however there is alternative, just write a note and leave on front door or use flash door ring.

For me, my life will be much more challenge and getting more tough because I do have usher syndrome and already have vision impairment so having a tunnel vision will happen in around 30's to 50's, even late 20's in extreme case so I have to prepare before it occur, especially on future plan. I cannot imagine to be deafblind person.
__________________


Stewie is gun nut, right?
Patriot Guard Riders
Beware of NSA and they are sending manhunt to your home.
Foxrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2011, 02:03 PM   #21 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafskeptic View Post
Dealing with people who think they're superior and smarter than you are because of your deafness. I'd mention those oral deaf who make fun of the ASL deaf and think they're better than those who use sign. I can think of at least one but I won't mention his name.
I just shook my head at the title. Talk about audist. Oh, well, I said a couple of weeks ago that people were about to get a demonstration of what a deaf audist was. Looks like they are getting their money's worth!

The advantages to being deaf thread was empowering. This is decidedly the opposite.
jillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2011, 02:16 PM   #22 (permalink)
Dream Weaver
 
TXgolfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Everywhere
Posts: 19,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrac View Post
Yup, that's one of biggest issue that I had deal with it.

For this thread, unable to hear the door ring and big sucks for UPS or Fedex that require a signature, however there is alternative, just write a note and leave on front door or use flash door ring.

For me, my life will be much more challenge and getting more tough because I do have usher syndrome and already have vision impairment so having a tunnel vision will happen in around 30's to 50's, even late 20's in extreme case so I have to prepare before it occur, especially on future plan. I cannot imagine to be deafblind person.

I have a remote on my door that sends a signal to my bed and shakes the bed when people knock. Pretty cool stuff.

It sucks not being able to hear the waves at the beach too. At least you got to see them on vacation. Hopefully the will find a treatment for ushers
__________________
He who answers before listening-that is his folly and his shame..
TXgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2011, 02:34 PM   #23 (permalink)
Dream Weaver
 
TXgolfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Everywhere
Posts: 19,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottesini View Post
I still wonder what a man who came to the door when I was the only one home was talking about.

He was showing me sheets of coupons that are in newspaper inserts. I don't open the door to strangers, and I just signed to him that I am deaf.

He took that as a cue to hold the coupons closer to the window, but I still have no idea what he wanted.
Fundraisers......they sell coupons and Mags. It's wise not to open the door though.....alot of bad people do that too
Bottesini and KristinaB like this.
__________________
He who answers before listening-that is his folly and his shame..
TXgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2011, 02:39 PM   #24 (permalink)
Dream Weaver
 
TXgolfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Everywhere
Posts: 19,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockin'robin View Post
Over the years and thru the courses of time...I can think of thousands of disadvantages of being deaf....Since a HA or a CI would not benefit me...I've learned and accepted it, and deal with it!..No excuses, no pity...and no shame!

Yeah that is why I like threads that are more realistic. When people discuss set backs and disadvantages they learn how others dealt with it. Much better than pretending they don't exist me thinks!
Hohtopics, Beach girl and AJWSmith like this.
__________________
He who answers before listening-that is his folly and his shame..
TXgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2011, 04:39 PM   #25 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJWSmith View Post
As an oral deafie: not being able to participate in the group conversations of hearies. It's made much worse by the hearies being unwilling to make small changes that would allow me to join in.
But, is that so much the result of a disadvantage of deafness, or an obstacle created by the hearing?
jillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2011, 04:51 PM   #26 (permalink)
Audist are not welcome
 
shel90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: A place where crabs are popular
Posts: 43,263
Blog Entries: 3
When I run out of juice.
rockin'robin likes this.
__________________
"Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it."

--- Anonymous
shel90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2011, 05:15 PM   #27 (permalink)
4117′00″N 7004′58″W
 
GrendelQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New England, USA
Posts: 3,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by shel90 View Post
When I run out of juice.
I struggle with that disadvantage too, and I'm not deaf.
Babyblue and Beach girl like this.
__________________
Quote:
Marschark : "The evidence has convinced me, more than ever, that there is never going to be a "one size fits all" solution for deaf children either educationally or in language."
GrendelQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2011, 05:21 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Beach girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: northern Virginia in winter; NC in summer
Posts: 3,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXgolfer View Post
I have a remote on my door that sends a signal to my bed and shakes the bed when people knock. Pretty cool stuff.It sucks not being able to hear the waves at the beach too. At least you got to see them on vacation. Hopefully the will find a treatment for ushers
Sounds like a neat gadget - but are you often in bed when people knock at the door?

I'm not being snarky, just wondering if this was useful to you very often. For me, if I'm in bed during the day, that means I'm sick and I don't want to see anyone anyway. Otherwise I'm up and about whenever someone is likely to come by.

For me, disadvantages of being deaf/hoh: not being able to use a voice phone is the biggest one.

Second biggest annoyance is trying to listen to the radio in the car. My HAs do very well with music in a concert hall environment, but not so much with music in a moving car. I'm thinking there must be a better solution, be it Bluetooth or something. I really miss radio music.
Beach girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2011, 05:22 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Mudkipz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: California
Posts: 416
Blog Entries: 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Mudkipz
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJWSmith View Post
As an oral deafie: not being able to participate in the group conversations of hearies. It's made much worse by the hearies being unwilling to make small changes that would allow me to join in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillio View Post
But, is that so much the result of a disadvantage of deafness, or an obstacle created by the hearing?
No obstacles... that would be mean! It's most likely normal and that one haven't got enough experience or practice to engage in a normal conservation. It's not like the hearies are making special adjustments just so one can't hear them or something.
Hohtopics likes this.
__________________
Quote:
You want in a secret?
You never going to be sure about life.
Ever.
Until you are really old and is on the deathbed.
Then you're going to wonder about all the things you could have done differently and think about all the time you wasted.
Left ear: Cochlear's Freedom
Nucleus 22 Activated: 8/12/97
Right ear: AB's Harmony
HiRes90k Activated - 8/20/10
Currently wearing the AB Harmony only.
Mudkipz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2011, 05:35 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Mudkipz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: California
Posts: 416
Blog Entries: 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Mudkipz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach girl View Post
Sounds like a neat gadget - but are you often in bed when people knock at the door?

I'm not being snarky, just wondering if this was useful to you very often. For me, if I'm in bed during the day, that means I'm sick and I don't want to see anyone anyway. Otherwise I'm up and about whenever someone is likely to come by.

For me, disadvantages of being deaf/hoh: not being able to use a voice phone is the biggest one.

Second biggest annoyance is trying to listen to the radio in the car. My HAs do very well with music in a concert hall environment, but not so much with music in a moving car. I'm thinking there must be a better solution, be it Bluetooth or something. I really miss radio music.
"Goddamnit" (I know I know! but I'm really sick and can't get up...)
*Bed shakes again*
(Oh my gosh. Can this person go away??)


For the radio, there must be a better solution. Trust me! I used to be in my parent's car and they would have the radio on at times. It sounds like gargled on-going noise and the beats would be one of the few things I'd hear from a radio. Now after putting time in focused listening programs plus my new speech processor, I'd pick up a lot of sounds and musics I never heard before (Hearing Rappers rapping like they're talking and Commericals like Taco bell and special Local events)

I don't even listen to music or learn into it, but after practicing with tones, words, sentences, anything but music, I'd pick up a clearer view from a radio. I haven't even got started on practicing or listening to individual instruments and the sound discrimination/tones, but I bet when I do, I would appreciate music much more... can't wait, seriously. Not right now though!
__________________
Quote:
You want in a secret?
You never going to be sure about life.
Ever.
Until you are really old and is on the deathbed.
Then you're going to wonder about all the things you could have done differently and think about all the time you wasted.
Left ear: Cochlear's Freedom
Nucleus 22 Activated: 8/12/97
Right ear: AB's Harmony
HiRes90k Activated - 8/20/10
Currently wearing the AB Harmony only.
Mudkipz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:34 PM.


Join AllDeaf on Facebook!    Follow us on Twitter!

AllDeaf proudly supports St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Copyright © 2002-2014, AllDeaf.com. All Rights Reserved.