AllDeaf.com
Mobile - Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Deaf Interests > Deaf Education
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-15-2009, 09:14 PM   #151 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Babyblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 12,232

Babyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on AllDeaf.com
   
Unread 02-15-2009, 09:20 PM   #152 (permalink)
Registered User
 
loml's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyblue View Post
Babyblue - So you are comfortable with endng this discussion with the ASL sign for door?
__________________
Quote:
“Laugh, because that is your purpose in life. Love, because that is what you came here for. Shine, because that is important.”
- Yogi Bhajan-
loml is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2009, 08:52 AM   #153 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by shel90 View Post
Gotcha..u are using beginning ASL with them. Just like beginning English with kids...using in one word phrases.
Exactly. One does not speak to hearing children in complete and complicated English sentences when they are babies, and one does not speak to deaf children in complete and complicated sentences using ASL when they are babies.

Hearing parents do the very same thing when they say to their hearing child: "See doggie?" instead of "See that black and white dog over to your right playing with a ball?"

Please, people, get real.
jillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2009, 08:53 AM   #154 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by faire_jour View Post
No, immersion would mean you used it all the time, with nothing else.
No, it doesn't. It means you learn it through interaction with native users rather than through formalized lessons.
jillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2009, 08:55 AM   #155 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by loml View Post
Babyblue - I thought we were having a discussion and taking this opportunity to learn from each other.


*sigh*
Sounds good in print, but learning only takes place when both parties are capable of opening their minds and seeing another perspective. Obviously, that is not the case here. One is learning, and teaching. The other is selling.
jillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2009, 08:56 AM   #156 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by loml View Post
Babyblue - So you are comfortable with endng this discussion with the ASL sign for door?
How about ending it with this sign:

**five hands at temples, moving forward in front of the forehead as the five hands draw together**

And there were two signs in Babyblue's photos. *Door* + *closed*. So much for your expertise on ASL.
jillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2009, 09:01 AM   #157 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Babyblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 12,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillio View Post
How about ending it with this sign:

**five hands at temples, moving forward in front of the forehead as the five hands draw together**

And there were two signs in Babyblue's photos. *Door* + *closed*. So much for your expertise on ASL.
Babyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2009, 11:26 AM   #158 (permalink)
Registered User
 
loml's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,645
Babyblue - It would be great to see your ASL songs with your pre-schoolers. Perhaps with permission, you could put up a little video on YouTube.
__________________
Quote:
“Laugh, because that is your purpose in life. Love, because that is what you came here for. Shine, because that is important.”
- Yogi Bhajan-
loml is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2009, 11:30 AM   #159 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 24,621

ha yep this bill vicar is my all time favorite ASL for the humor purposes. my bad!
Frisky Feline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2009, 11:32 AM   #160 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Babyblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 12,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by loml View Post
Babyblue - It would be great to see your ASL songs with your pre-schoolers. Perhaps with permission, you could put up a little video on YouTube.

I doubt that.
Babyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2009, 11:33 AM   #161 (permalink)
Registered User
 
loml's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyblue View Post
I doubt that.
Babyblue - One never knows, if one does not ask.
__________________
Quote:
“Laugh, because that is your purpose in life. Love, because that is what you came here for. Shine, because that is important.”
- Yogi Bhajan-
loml is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2009, 11:42 AM   #162 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 7,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyblue View Post
I doubt that.
Too bad. We all love to little signers!
faire_jour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2009, 11:53 AM   #163 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by loml View Post
Babyblue - One never knows, if one does not ask.
It takes a bit more than asking. One needs to pay attention to the answer, as well.
jillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2009, 12:38 PM   #164 (permalink)
Registered User
 
loml's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,645
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by faire_jour View Post
Too bad. We all love to little signers!
fair_jour - Isn't that the truth!
__________________
Quote:
“Laugh, because that is your purpose in life. Love, because that is what you came here for. Shine, because that is important.”
- Yogi Bhajan-
loml is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2009, 12:53 PM   #165 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
A clarification. Everyone seems to love little hearing signers. But the little deaf signers don't get near as much support.
jillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2009, 12:54 PM   #166 (permalink)
Your Name Here!
 
Bottesini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: HFA
Posts: 40,579
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillio View Post
A clarification. Everyone seems to love little hearing signers. But the little deaf signers don't get near as much support.
Faire Jour said it. But she does not want her child to be one?
__________________
Hello Hulk!
Bottesini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2009, 01:37 PM   #167 (permalink)
Audist are not welcome
 
shel90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: A place where crabs are popular
Posts: 43,425
Blog Entries: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillio View Post
A clarification. Everyone seems to love little hearing signers. But the little deaf signers don't get near as much support.
Deaf children do get support...if they have good speech skills..
__________________
"Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it."

--- Anonymous
shel90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2009, 01:52 PM   #168 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by shel90 View Post
Deaf children do get support...if they have good speech skills..
Yep, my point exactly. The little deaf signers are looked down on.
jillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2009, 02:10 PM   #169 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Babyblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 12,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillio View Post
Yep, my point exactly. The little deaf signers are looked down on.

That is what I don't get. I wonder if Oral Professionals feels if it is harmful that I am teaching the hearing preschoolers ASL. If they feel it will delay their speech.
Babyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2009, 02:16 PM   #170 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyblue View Post
That is what I don't get. I wonder if Oral Professionals feels if it is harmful that I am teaching the hearing preschoolers ASL. If they feel it will delay their speech.
To be perfectly honest with you, Babyblue, I don't get it either.

Reminds me of something I was just telling a friend who is here. Last week, my nephew brought my 2 year old great-nephew by to visit. He was looking at my birds and saying ______ birdies. I can usually understand everything the kid says, but the word he was using had me puzzled. So I asked his dad, what is he saying to the birds? His dad replied, "Oh, that's hello in Japanese."
I guess maybe they shouldn't allow him to learn things like that cuz it will impede his learning of English.
jillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2009, 02:55 PM   #171 (permalink)
Registered User
 
loml's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyblue View Post
That is what I don't get. I wonder if Oral Professionals feels if it is harmful that I am teaching the hearing preschoolers ASL. If they feel it will delay their speech.
Babyblue - Frankly, I do not imagine that your intended "Oral Professionals", concern themselves. Your class, although with its merits, is not their enitre world, nor is it really only ASL.
__________________
Quote:
“Laugh, because that is your purpose in life. Love, because that is what you came here for. Shine, because that is important.”
- Yogi Bhajan-
loml is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2009, 03:11 PM   #172 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Babyblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 12,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillio View Post
To be perfectly honest with you, Babyblue, I don't get it either.

Reminds me of something I was just telling a friend who is here. Last week, my nephew brought my 2 year old great-nephew by to visit. He was looking at my birds and saying ______ birdies. I can usually understand everything the kid says, but the word he was using had me puzzled. So I asked his dad, what is he saying to the birds? His dad replied, "Oh, that's hello in Japanese."
I guess maybe they shouldn't allow him to learn things like that cuz it will impede his learning of English.

I agree.

That is like teaching a Spanish Speaking person English!! That will impede their Spanish Language

What a crock!
Babyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2009, 03:13 PM   #173 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Babyblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 12,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by loml View Post
Babyblue - Frankly, I do not imagine that your intended "Oral Professionals", concern themselves. Your class, although with its merits, is not their enitre world, nor is it really only ASL.

Can you recognize sarcasm when you see it?

Which I was merely using it to make a point. Not something to debate about.

Babyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2009, 04:42 PM   #174 (permalink)
Registered User
 
loml's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,645
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyblue View Post
Can you recognize sarcasm when you see it?

Which I was merely using it to make a point. Not something to debate about.

Babyblue - Can you say with certainty that on every occassion when sarcasm is used that you recognise it?
__________________
Quote:
“Laugh, because that is your purpose in life. Love, because that is what you came here for. Shine, because that is important.”
- Yogi Bhajan-
loml is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2009, 05:15 PM   #175 (permalink)
Forum Disorders M.D.,Ph.D
 
naisho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: 127.0.0.1
Posts: 6,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillio View Post
He was looking at my birds and saying ______ birdies. I can usually understand everything the kid says, but the word he was using had me puzzled.
Sounds like a cool kid.

Which word? (pronunciation form below)
cone-nee-chee-wah
oh-ha-yo

PS. What birds do you own?


loml, a suggestion if I may..
As a spectator, I've been observing and re-reading the posts in this thread. After my initial post warranted my inferred conclusions, I thought that there was seemingly a "witch" hunt going on in which the parties were scrutinizing Babyblue over her ASL teaching methods.

Now I am slowly coming to realization that this actually may not be the case.

In advance I apologize if this may seem intruding, however if you care that I may pass my opinion, which is completely out of goodwill:


The method in which the manner of your speaking format online, is mistakenly being taken (by some) as a curly, sharp, piercing tone.

Usually I don't really comment on the format another speaker responds to others on any forum, but now when I realize it affects the manner in which the responses are to be conceived, this is when something needs to be said, for the sake of the greater good.

I noticed you have a habit of repeating the poster's name that you are quoting often times, this being the most testifying evidence of all cases presented. Often in the online forum and bbs community, for the most part we do not address the username of the person we wish to speak directly to, when quoting. The quote function generally takes care of the needs for that, if it is already there.

But when garnering their attention twice, per the following example, this is what is going on:

Quote:
Originally Posted by naisho1
Quote:
Originally Posted by naisho2
So to say, the sky is blue and earth is round. The grass is green and the hills are brown.
naisho2 - the grass is green and the water is blue. The ground is brown.
What I'm seeing this is in this format (and probably a majority of other posters as well, possibly some in this thread already)

Quote:
Originally Posted by naisho1
Hey naisho2 listen -
Again naisho2, I wanted to tell you, the grass is green and the water is blue. The ground is brown.
It's speaking to them twice, which kind of draws an unintentional conveyance in the format of speech presented.. Then the responses stemming from that may seem somewhat hostile, but I can assure you it all is in the form of self-defense.

Just wanted to drop my if you read through it all. If it were honestly respect towards the speaker each time it was done previously, you have an unconditional respect for respecting others from not just me, but perhaps others who may see this as well. Granted, what damage is already done, especially in the direction the thread has been heading the past few pages. But here is hoping for the better.
naisho is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2009, 07:28 PM   #176 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by naisho View Post
Sounds like a cool kid.

Which word? (pronunciation form below)
cone-nee-chee-wah
oh-ha-yo

PS. What birds do you own?


loml, a suggestion if I may..
As a spectator, I've been observing and re-reading the posts in this thread. After my initial post warranted my inferred conclusions, I thought that there was seemingly a "witch" hunt going on in which the parties were scrutinizing Babyblue over her ASL teaching methods.

Now I am slowly coming to realization that this actually may not be the case.

In advance I apologize if this may seem intruding, however if you care that I may pass my opinion, which is completely out of goodwill:


The method in which the manner of your speaking format online, is mistakenly being taken (by some) as a curly, sharp, piercing tone.

Usually I don't really comment on the format another speaker responds to others on any forum, but now when I realize it affects the manner in which the responses are to be conceived, this is when something needs to be said, for the sake of the greater good.

I noticed you have a habit of repeating the poster's name that you are quoting often times, this being the most testifying evidence of all cases presented. Often in the online forum and bbs community, for the most part we do not address the username of the person we wish to speak directly to, when quoting. The quote function generally takes care of the needs for that, if it is already there.

But when garnering their attention twice, per the following example, this is what is going on:



What I'm seeing this is in this format (and probably a majority of other posters as well, possibly some in this thread already)



It's speaking to them twice, which kind of draws an unintentional conveyance in the format of speech presented.. Then the responses stemming from that may seem somewhat hostile, but I can assure you it all is in the form of self-defense.

Just wanted to drop my if you read through it all. If it were honestly respect towards the speaker each time it was done previously, you have an unconditional respect for respecting others from not just me, but perhaps others who may see this as well. Granted, what damage is already done, especially in the direction the thread has been heading the past few pages. But here is hoping for the better.
It was cone-nee-chee-wah. I kept trying to translate it phonetically into something in English because I did not expect him to be speaking Japanese! He has 4 older borthers and sisters, and he picks stuff up from them so quickly!

I have 2 parakeets.
jillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2009, 07:33 PM   #177 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 7,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottesini View Post
Faire Jour said it. But she does not want her child to be one?
I'm so f^@%ing sick and tired of this! MY DAUGHTER USES ASL. IT IS HER LANGUAGE! Get over yourselves. You want to see me an an oralist or audist because it makes you feel better. It's just not true.
faire_jour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2009, 07:39 PM   #178 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by faire_jour View Post
I'm so f^@%ing sick and tired of this! MY DAUGHTER USES ASL. IT IS HER LANGUAGE! Get over yourselves. You want to see me an an oralist or audist because it makes you feel better. It's just not true.
Recognizing an audist doesn't make anyone feel better, except perhaps another audist. Most consider it to be a saddening experience indeed.
jillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2009, 10:26 PM   #179 (permalink)
Your Name Here!
 
Bottesini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: HFA
Posts: 40,579
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by faire_jour View Post
I'm so f^@%ing sick and tired of this! MY DAUGHTER USES ASL. IT IS HER LANGUAGE! Get over yourselves. You want to see me an an oralist or audist because it makes you feel better. It's just not true.
Swearing at people is not polite.
__________________
Hello Hulk!
Bottesini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2009, 10:28 PM   #180 (permalink)
If You Know What I Mean
 
Jiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Soprano State
Posts: 66,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottesini View Post
Swearing at people is not polite.
and that's the decree issued by Ministry of Language
__________________
- Don't forget to buy Jiro's Special Edition Sunglasses for $19.95
Jiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:59 PM.


Join AllDeaf on Facebook!    Follow us on Twitter!

AllDeaf proudly supports St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Copyright © 2002-2014, AllDeaf.com. All Rights Reserved.