AllDeaf.com
Mobile - Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Deaf Interests > Deaf Education
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-14-2009, 09:23 PM   #61 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyblue View Post
Only if the CI center would understand that T.C. would benefit the best of both worlds. But they just seem to want implanted children to speak alone with out the tools they need to be effective and productive. ASL is that tool. ASL is what will boost that child's language skills. Not delay it.

If we can do it to boost a hearing child's language skills. Why not an implanted child. I just don't get it!
Nor do I. It is contrary to all of the research that shows that an oral only environment creates delays. As I said earlier, it is nothing more than exploitation for financial incentives.
jillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on AllDeaf.com
   
Unread 02-14-2009, 09:39 PM   #62 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Babyblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 12,232
I think so too.

I am not against a parent that wants to allow their child to benifit from a CI.

I am against them being denied full access to language.
Babyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2009, 08:54 AM   #63 (permalink)
Audist are not welcome
 
shel90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: A place where crabs are popular
Posts: 43,265
Blog Entries: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyblue View Post
My hypothesis is the same with the child I posted about previously in this thread. The child I had before. The parents allowed him to sign at first. Then all of a sudden the parent did a 380' Told me to stop signing with him. I was like what in the hell!?? The child was frustrated and started showing behavioral problems. So I started to sign with him. I was the only one there at the center that knew ASL. I was the only one that could "actually communicate with this three year old child. His parents withdrew him because I would not stop signing to him. I respect the parents but I had more respect for that child due to he was missing out so much. The mapping was not even completed. with a child that young does not deserve to miss out on ANYTHING while the brain is able to soak up the language skills.

I'm sure you know as well as I do. The first three years of a child's life is what truly maps a child. Hate to see a child miss out on that.
That's where my beliefs come in...I respect the power of language more than I respect the parents' needs.
__________________
"Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it."

--- Anonymous
shel90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2009, 08:55 AM   #64 (permalink)
Audist are not welcome
 
shel90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: A place where crabs are popular
Posts: 43,265
Blog Entries: 3
Anyways, great job Babyblue!!!
__________________
"Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it."

--- Anonymous
shel90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2009, 11:02 AM   #65 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by shel90 View Post
Anyways, great job Babyblue!!!
I second that!
jillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2009, 11:11 AM   #66 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyblue View Post

I am not against a parent that wants to allow their child to benifit from a CI.

I am against them being denied full access to language.


You just echoed what I've been advocating all the way.

Full access to language.
Mrs Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2009, 04:12 PM   #67 (permalink)
Registered User
 
loml's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyblue View Post
I will do in June!

I have been doing this over the summer. The director and the other teachers loved it. So we all agreed it would make an excellent graduation program!

Just to show these kids are excelling in more ways that others. I have not yet had a parent complain that Signing is delaying their language skills.
Babyblue - Why would you even expect them to complain about it? I imagine they think it is "cute", which it is.

It must be quite a bit of work for you to take the English songs and interpret them to ASL. Wow!
__________________
Quote:
“Laugh, because that is your purpose in life. Love, because that is what you came here for. Shine, because that is important.”
- Yogi Bhajan-
loml is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2009, 04:17 PM   #68 (permalink)
Registered User
 
loml's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,645
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyblue View Post
Only if the CI center would understand that T.C. would benefit the best of both worlds. But they just seem to want implanted children to speak alone with out the tools they need to be effective and productive. ASL is that tool. ASL is what will boost that child's language skills. Not delay it.

If we can do it to boost a hearing child's language skills. Why not an implanted child. I just don't get it!
Babyblue - Presuming by T.C. you are meaning toal communication, how is that equated to ASL?
__________________
Quote:
“Laugh, because that is your purpose in life. Love, because that is what you came here for. Shine, because that is important.”
- Yogi Bhajan-
loml is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2009, 04:18 PM   #69 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by loml View Post
Babyblue - Why would you even expect them to complain about it? I imagine they think it is "cute"., which it is.

It must be quite a bit of work for you to take the English songs and interpret them to ASL. Wow!
No more work than adding cues. And much more useful.
jillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2009, 04:29 PM   #70 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Babyblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 12,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by loml View Post
Babyblue - Presuming by T.C. you are meaning toal communication, how is that equated to ASL?
Signing and speaking.

Al ot of people can Sign ASL and Speak. A lot of people sign SEE and speak, A lot of people sign PSE and speak.
Babyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2009, 04:34 PM   #71 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Babyblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 12,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by loml View Post
Babyblue - Why would you even expect them to complain about it? I imagine they think it is "cute", which it is.

It must be quite a bit of work for you to take the English songs and interpret them to ASL. Wow!

I have been teaching these kids ASL since before the School have decided to make it part of their graduation. They have seen how successful it has been teaching them ASL.

And yes it is quite cute. But it is also a great learning experience to these kids. It was NOT hard at all it was actually easy to teach them. They remember a lot more and learned a lot more vocabulary words using ASL.
As for taking songs and teaching them to sign it in ASL was not hard at all. It is actually easier to have them sign it in ASL.
Babyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2009, 04:36 PM   #72 (permalink)
Registered User
 
loml's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,645
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyblue View Post
Signing and speaking.

Al ot of people can Sign ASL and Speak. A lot of people sign SEE and speak, A lot of people sign PSE and speak.
Babyblue - I do not believe that it is possible to use "sign" ASL and ASL "speak", simutaneoulsy. Bringing me to the conclusion that TC is not really a true language. Right??
__________________
Quote:
“Laugh, because that is your purpose in life. Love, because that is what you came here for. Shine, because that is important.”
- Yogi Bhajan-
loml is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2009, 04:41 PM   #73 (permalink)
Registered User
 
loml's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,645
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyblue View Post
I have been teaching these kids ASL since before the School have decided to make it part of their graduation. They have seen how successful it has been teaching them ASL.

And yes it is quite cute. But it is also a great learning experience to these kids. It was NOT hard at all it was actually easy to teach them. They remember a lot more and learned a lot more vocabulary words using ASL.
As for taking songs and teaching them to sign it in ASL was not hard at all. It is actually easier to have them sign it in ASL.
babyblue - I think what you are doing is terrific! Children are truly amazing students and teachers!

When you say they are remembering alot more, what are you comparing?
__________________
Quote:
“Laugh, because that is your purpose in life. Love, because that is what you came here for. Shine, because that is important.”
- Yogi Bhajan-
loml is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2009, 04:51 PM   #74 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Babyblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 12,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by loml View Post
Babyblue - I do not believe that it is possible to use "sign" ASL and ASL "speak", simutaneoulsy. Bringing me to the conclusion that TC is not really a true language. Right??

Of course you will not sign word for word in ASL as you are speaking.
Babyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2009, 04:52 PM   #75 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Babyblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 12,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by loml View Post
babyblue - I think what you are doing is terrific! Children are truly amazing students and teachers!

When you say they are remembering alot more, what are you comparing?
They pick up the signing skills before they can speak. I use the signs they are signing with the vocabulary cards and teach to to say these words. Works wonders with the toddlers.
Babyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2009, 05:00 PM   #76 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by loml View Post
Babyblue - I do not believe that it is possible to use "sign" ASL and ASL "speak", simutaneoulsy. Bringing me to the conclusion that TC is not really a true language. Right??
And CS is?

But to clarify, TC is a teaching methodology. No one has ever claimed it was anything else.
jillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2009, 05:02 PM   #77 (permalink)
Registered User
 
loml's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,645
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyblue View Post
They pick up the signing skills before they can speak. I use the signs they are signing with the vocabulary cards and teach to to say these words. Works wonders with the toddlers.
Babyblue - How interesting. Considering how many muscles there are in the tongue and the intricacies involved in speech, are you surprised by this result?

Correct me if I amnot imagining this correctly. These toddlers, are not talking/voicing/speaking, but engaging in converstation through the language of ASL? Could your classrom be defined/described as a voice off ASL immersion learning opportunity?

When you teach them the English words for the basic toddler vocabulary, are you voice off ASL until you actually say the word?
__________________
Quote:
“Laugh, because that is your purpose in life. Love, because that is what you came here for. Shine, because that is important.”
- Yogi Bhajan-
loml is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2009, 05:27 PM   #78 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Babyblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 12,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by loml View Post
Babyblue - How interesting. Considering how many muscles there are in the tongue and the intricacies involved in speech, are you surprised by this result?

Correct me if I amnot imagining this correctly. These toddlers, are not talking/voicing/speaking, but engaging in converstation through the language of ASL? Could your classrom be defined/described as a voice off ASL immersion learning opportunity?

When you teach them the English words for the basic toddler vocabulary, are you voice off ASL until you actually say the word?

Excuse me, but please don't sit here and patronize me.

I explained.. I do not communicate with them in ASL all the time. I am teaching them simple signs that helps them to learn certain words. These kids will sign certain words before they even know how to speak them. These are the toddlers

The pre schoolers I do it for fun. They actually enjoy learning songs in ASL.
Babyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2009, 05:33 PM   #79 (permalink)
Registered User
 
loml's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyblue View Post
Excuse me, but please don't sit here and patronize me.

I explained.. I do not communicate with them in ASL all the time. I am teaching them simple signs that helps them to learn certain words. These kids will sign certain words before they even know how to speak them. These are the toddlers

The pre schoolers I do it for fun. They actually enjoy learning songs in ASL.
Babyblue - Patronize you? I am simply looking for clarification.

I understand that these are toddlers. I think that it is misleading to state that you are teaching them ASL when, in fact what you are doing is not truly ASL. *shrug*
__________________
Quote:
“Laugh, because that is your purpose in life. Love, because that is what you came here for. Shine, because that is important.”
- Yogi Bhajan-
loml is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2009, 05:35 PM   #80 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Babyblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 12,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by loml View Post
Babyblue - Patronize you? I am simply looking for clarification.

I understand that these are toddlers. I think that it is misleading to state that you are teaching them ASL when, in fact what you are doing is not truly ASL. *shrug*

Would you prefer me to say I am teaching them BSL???


And it is not misleading.
Babyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2009, 05:42 PM   #81 (permalink)
Registered User
 
loml's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,645
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyblue View Post
Would you prefer me to say I am teaching them BSL???


And it is not misleading.
Babyblue - If you are fluent in BSL and were actually using BSL full time then why not?

Why don't you use ASL only?
__________________
Quote:
“Laugh, because that is your purpose in life. Love, because that is what you came here for. Shine, because that is important.”
- Yogi Bhajan-
loml is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2009, 05:52 PM   #82 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by loml View Post
Babyblue - Patronize you? I am simply looking for clarification.

I understand that these are toddlers. I think that it is misleading to state that you are teaching them ASL when, in fact what you are doing is not truly ASL. *shrug*
How would you know exactly what babyblue is doing unless you had observed her classroom? It is presumptuous and patronizing of you to assume that you do. Likewise, babyblue is a trained educator, with course work and experience in the areas of early childhood development and language acquisition. You are not. I would certainly give more validity to her description of her methodology and her classroom activities than one would your outside and untrained assumptions of such.
jillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2009, 05:56 PM   #83 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Babyblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 12,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillio View Post
How would you know exactly what babyblue is doing unless you had observed her classroom? It is presumptuous and patronizing of you to assume that you do. Likewise, babyblue is a trained educator, with course work and experience in the areas of early childhood development and language acquisition. You are not. I would certainly give more validity to her description of her methodology and her classroom activities than one would your outside and untrained assumptions of such.

Exactly! I see the results everyday of what I do for these kids.
Babyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2009, 05:58 PM   #84 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 7,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyblue View Post
Exactly! I see the results everyday of what I do for these kids.
So can you explain it? I'm a little confused too. Are you Sim-Comming? Key word signing? Turning your voice off at certain times and fluently signing?
faire_jour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2009, 06:04 PM   #85 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Babyblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 12,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by faire_jour View Post
So can you explain it? I'm a little confused too. Are you Sim-Comming? Key word signing? Turning your voice off at certain times and fluently signing?

Do Spanish speaking teachers speak spanish all the time with English speaking pre schoolers or toddlers? In order to teach them spanish?
Babyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2009, 06:05 PM   #86 (permalink)
Registered User
 
loml's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,645
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyblue View Post
Exactly! I see the results everyday of what I do for these kids.
Exactly what? It is certainly doesn't sound like you are exactly teaching ASL?
__________________
Quote:
“Laugh, because that is your purpose in life. Love, because that is what you came here for. Shine, because that is important.”
- Yogi Bhajan-
loml is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2009, 06:06 PM   #87 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 7,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyblue View Post
Do Spanish speaking teachers speak spanish all the time with English speaking pre schoolers or toddlers? In order to teach them spanish?
Sometimes. It is called language immersion.
faire_jour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2009, 06:07 PM   #88 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 60,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by loml View Post
Exactly what? It is certainly doesn't sound like you are exactly teaching ASL?
Again, you cannot possibly know unless you have observed her classroom.
jillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2009, 06:10 PM   #89 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 7,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillio View Post
Again, you cannot possibly know unless you have observed her classroom.
That's why we are asking.
faire_jour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2009, 06:10 PM   #90 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Babyblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 12,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by loml View Post
Exactly what? It is certainly doesn't sound like you are exactly teaching ASL?

Again you are patronizing how I am teaching my class. If you don't like the fact that I call it teaching them ASL then go for it. What ever floats your boat.
Babyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:57 AM.


Join AllDeaf on Facebook!    Follow us on Twitter!

AllDeaf proudly supports St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Copyright © 2002-2014, AllDeaf.com. All Rights Reserved.