zookeeper4321

zookeeper4321

Reaction score
would you call little G deaf or HOH loss of 50 in L ear and 55 in R ear. Verbal if he feels like it. Very inconsistant. Uses about 6 words and 6 signs. Understands about 6 words and 24 signs. Anybody?

Well how old is he? Audilogically he's Hoh (moderate loss) but b/c he uses Sign, he can be classified as Deaf. Good on you for exposing him to Sign, even thou he's only hoh!

Hes 2. We let him decide what to do. He wears his aides at school and in therapy. Otherwise I don't try to force him. He really doesn't mind them for a little while, but doesn't like wearing them all day. "Experts" (used lightly) kept telling me he had to wear them all day or he would not be able to speak. Okay, he's deaf. I'm not going to force speech or sign as long as he can communicate. His dad and I are both hearing. I would love for him to be fluent in English and sign. My favorite quote "G will do what G will do when G is ready to do it. I got that from a song on the Signing Time series. Anyway thanks for the imput.

He wears his aides at school and in therapy. Otherwise I don't try to force him. He really doesn't mind them for a little while, but doesn't like wearing them all day. "Experts" (used lightly) kept telling me he had to wear them all day or he would not be able to speak.
Hey.....definitly encourage aiding, but I mean most hoh kids can hear without aids....we don't need intensive aiding the way deaf kids do.
Okay, he's deaf. I'm not going to force speech or sign as long as he can communicate.
GREAT attitude!!!! It does sound like he might need more help with speech.I know that most hoh kids can develop halfway decent speech even without intensive intervention. You may want to see if he can be evaluated for a disabilty called apraxia, which is a nereological language disabilty....(NOT to force speech, just to help him with oral skills) Is he getting Early internvention? He may need Deaf specific Early intervention, rather then just general special needs EI. What state are you in? Are you in America? I can probaly find out a lot of info and resources for you!

He is in First Steps and Early Head Start. He as a Speech Therapist, Developemental Therapist, Oral Therapist, and a PIP team that helps with ASL. Currently in Ind. moving to FL. Still tracking info. for Fl. Found a deaf montessori school- very exciting. He has talked a lot more since starting Head Start.

I'd say keep his options open. Bilingualism is usually a good idea. Let him pick how he wants to communicate when he's over and go with it.

Yes, I second what Teresh says......SO many of us hoh kids(and Teresh and I are both hoh kids) wish we'd been able to choose whether or not to be bilingal rather then having speech foisted on us as a kneejerk alternative.
Are you moving to Florida soon? I did find info for you on the Montressi School: http://www.blossomschool.org as well as the School for the Deaf and the Blind: http://www.fsdb.k12.fl.us/.....hopefully you'll be able to get good services in Florida. That is really good that your son's speech has improved since headstart, but he may need a more specialized program or more specialized therapy to really increase his speech and sign skills. Also, don't forget to join the American Society for Deaf Children....an EXCELLENT EXCELLENT organization.

Well, I see I'm not the only night owl on AD. Thanks Teresh & deafdyke. Yes, I'm moving soon. Got call from Mr. Zookeeper to say he was pulling a double shift. He told me they finally put his transfer thru. They've been trying to slow walk it until they hire more employees here. I'm always interested in other peoples informed opinions on little G. It's hard to make such important decisions with no experience. I love to read so I read everything I can get my hands on about it. I also just got online a few weeks ago. Between stuff with littlle G and other moving stuff I'm burning up the web.

Awesome, awesome awesome......are you now a member of American Society for Deaf Children? It's really the only organization out there for parents of dhh kids who speak and Sign.

No $

I will probably join later. Right now a need every dime for the move. Thanks for all the help.

No money? I think I read somewhere that they offer a one year membership for parents whose kids are newly identifyed. I can't remember where I read that, and there is nothing on their site about the free one year membership. May want to e-mail them and find out.....Even if they don't offer a free membership, here's a listserv that can help you a lot! http://listserv.kent.edu/archives/parentdeaf-hh.html

Back