Zebadee's Activation.

I'm doing excellent, just got back from my checkup yesterday and they said that I was at 96% w/o noise and 85% with noise, that was sentences
and on single words I was at 90% she said that most of her patients are at 70-80% at 6 months and i'm only at 1 month!

I am happy for you

Zee I'm glad that you are doing so good...
Fl118 I agree with your doctor.. I'm one of those that went a long time without alot of sounds so I'm having a hard time grasping sounds.( 30 years 25 unaided) and nothing to me sounds the way I thought they use to so it is gonna take me a while to get it.. I'm not gonna give up though...

Zee I'm glad that you are doing so good...
Fl118 I agree with your doctor.. I'm one of those that went a long time without alot of sounds so I'm having a hard time grasping sounds.( 30 years 25 unaided) and nothing to me sounds the way I thought they use to so it is gonna take me a while to get it.. I'm not gonna give up though...

Well it definitely does come with time. I went into this thinking that I haven't been that long without hearing, things shouldn't sound too weird, but yet I show up on activation day and what do ya know, everything is robotic and metallic sounding. Luckly I did get used to it pretty quickly!

I kinda feel "normal" now when i'm out places just because I can indeed understand what people are saying.

Is it still Robitic sounding Zee?

Not really, If i'm listening to music it can be very robotic sounding, but I think that is because of all the drums and guitars.
But in everyday conversation things are starting to sound a lot more normal!

(HOWEVER: you are having major problem with noise at this point because you were only deaf for 2 months, you will need a lot of time to grasp on mixing noise with other sounds, a thing that is a piece of cake for us, hard of hearing people and this is OUR advantage on YOU, I was in your shoe when I wore my first HA 10 years back, I was going crazy after months of less hearing and out of sudden sounds were so high that I was going to scream, noises were all mixed, my brain could not separate the sounds, but after several years, I could separate them easily and I can say that this is a blessing for us, probably the only blessing we have, don't worry, you will get there but make sure to relax when it's too noisy and don't let it distract you from separating sounds, practice )
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sure not my experience. I wore HA's for 50+ years and crowds and noise were the big problem. Not a problem at first but as time wore on and years passed it got worse and worse. Obviously hearing deteriorated over time until I was in the 90/100 db crowd.I had to leave job because of it getting worse. Fortunately I was able to retire at that point, early but still? Couple of people were fine but had to stop going to meeting and things were there were a lot of people or noise as it was just a wast of time for me. After I got the CI I find I can go to meetings and get most if not all that is going one. BIG improvement. I've had mine just short of a year and getting another one shortly. No hesitation on that at all as I feel so much more comfortable around groups. I can actually hold conversations with people across the table when there are 12 to twenty people around and all talking to different individuals. So for me big improvement. I put mine on first thing in morning and take off last thing at night. Did not take all that long for my brain to adjust. Phone is mostly fine but I do use neck loop and T coil. I'm sure that will improve with the second implant.

of course I'm only 2 weeks activated if i go someplace with alot of people i turn my CI's off and rely on lip reading cause all the noises run together. I'm sure it will get better.

(HOWEVER: you are having major problem with noise at this point because you were only deaf for 2 months, you will need a lot of time to grasp on mixing noise with other sounds, a thing that is a piece of cake for us, hard of hearing people and this is OUR advantage on YOU, I was in your shoe when I wore my first HA 10 years back, I was going crazy after months of less hearing and out of sudden sounds were so high that I was going to scream, noises were all mixed, my brain could not separate the sounds, but after several years, I could separate them easily and I can say that this is a blessing for us, probably the only blessing we have, don't worry, you will get there but make sure to relax when it's too noisy and don't let it distract you from separating sounds, practice )
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sure not my experience. I wore HA's for 50+ years and crowds and noise were the big problem. Not a problem at first but as time wore on and years passed it got worse and worse. Obviously hearing deteriorated over time until I was in the 90/100 db crowd.I had to leave job because of it getting worse. Fortunately I was able to retire at that point, early but still? Couple of people were fine but had to stop going to meeting and things were there were a lot of people or noise as it was just a wast of time for me. After I got the CI I find I can go to meetings and get most if not all that is going one. BIG improvement. I've had mine just short of a year and getting another one shortly. No hesitation on that at all as I feel so much more comfortable around groups. I can actually hold conversations with people across the table when there are 12 to twenty people around and all talking to different individuals. So for me big improvement. I put mine on first thing in morning and take off last thing at night. Did not take all that long for my brain to adjust. Phone is mostly fine but I do use neck loop and T coil. I'm sure that will improve with the second implant.

Thanks Rampratt and it's great to hear that you got good results from the CI, what i was trying to explain in regard of the noise issue is that we hard of hearing sometimes push ourselves to separate sounds that I noticed normal hearing can't do, this is my opinion only, I'm not saying we are doing better in noise but separating some sounds from other or it may have some different way to explain it, it does not matter because the end result is that we are deaf and not hearing what is being said, LOL.
I'm so glade that you are doing great with big group of people, how is it for you in restaurants and bars :), I hate these places because they are so noisy and the problem is in our situation is that when there is so much noise in a bar for example, the person who is talking to you come close to your ear and try to say the thing in your ear so you could hear it, but the problem I need to look at his/her lips in which that will help me not him/her talking in my ears, LOL

Zeebadee: glad you are doing great with your Implant. Some comment re using on phone. I used my TTY phone for 15 years now-UltraTec 1140- and continue to this day. I tested if I could hear using my implant-only heard the dial tone-not anyone speaking. According to Sunnybrook/Toronto about 50% can use a regular phone with their implant.

I still access the Relay service using VCO and not a major inconvenience to me.

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Back