Z340 and router setup

purplecatty

Reaction score
My friend contacted me and told me that their Zvrs technician screwed up their Belkin router which is similiar to mine. He was trying to set up WPA instead of using WEP. I told her what is the heck he is trying to do! Now that he screwed up their wireless router and they can't use VP200.

So I am coming to their rescue so what is your suggestion about Z340 and Sorenson VP200

Catty

VP200 port forwarding numbers might have fucked it up....?

I have Sorenson vp200 and z340 myself. I have the AT&T 2wire. It is combo router and modem. I have the vp200 setup on dmz and the z340 on wireless. My router is also set up with wpa and my own created key. Never have problem at all.

My friend contacted me and told me that their Zvrs technician screwed up their Belkin router which is similiar to mine. He was trying to set up WPA instead of using WEP. I told her what is the heck he is trying to do! Now that he screwed up their wireless router and they can't use VP200.

So I am coming to their rescue so what is your suggestion about Z340 and Sorenson VP200

Catty

Fail!

Someone blog said:

First of all, here’s the link to the official Z-340 website:
Z-340 - ZVRS

Secondly, I don’t have a relationship with Z-VRS, or any other relay company for that matter. I do know quite a bit of people working in Z-VRS, though.

I just got this unit in the past week. Turns out that it’s an ‘InPerson’ videophone produced and marketed by Creative Technology. At first blush, the build and feel of the unit seems to be excellent. I love the form factor! The unit is small and portable. The carrying case seems to be a little bit too ’snug’ if you include the unit with its battery. Battery life seems to be quite good, although I really haven’t put it thru its paces yet. The unit folds; protecting its screen.

The video quality, while clear, is on par with ‘webcam quality’, and the interface seems to be somewhat intuitive. The camera’s angle of view can be adjusted. If one desires, this unit can be hooked up to a TV via A/V cables. In addition to Wi-Fi, the unit can be hooked up via Ethernet. There is a numeric keypad, a top row of color-coded navigational buttons, a navigational keypad, and a couple of other buttons. “Installation” of the videophone was quick and sweet, lasting 10 minutes. The videophone, thanks to its SIP protocol, easily connects to the Internet. It was definitely nice to have my own 10-digit phone number! No more proxy numbers.

Here’s the links to two high-resolution images of the Z-340;
http://ll.51f.us/images/Z340.jpg
http://ll.51f.us/images/Z340_back.jpg

I have used it a few times, but was disappointed in the performance of my DSL line. My video output was blurry; however incoming video was nicely rendered. I liked the fact that I could update my address book, info, etc. via the web interface at Z-VRS’s website. An upgrade to cable internet service is definitely in the cards for me!

There are two shortcomings to the Z-340, though. One, it has a limited keyboard. It doesn’t have a web-browser built-in. It means that you can’t ‘activate’ Wi-Fi hotspots at business establishments such as Starbucks, Barnes and Nobles, Panera Bread, etc. quite easily. You would have to ask the manager/clerk for the actual network numbers to access the Wi-Fi hotspots. According to my installer, he has had no problem in securing Wi-Fi access at these places, but your mileage may vary.

Secondly, it has no flasher unit. I have no way of telling if someone’s calling me, unless I happen to be looking at the unit while someone’s calling. However, the unit will alert you that there’s a missed call (or two!) and has a call history feature. According to Z-VRS’s website, they have this service called ‘Z-Alert’, which will send you a message on your messaging pager if someone’s calling you. I haven’t signed up for Z-Alert yet, but I suspect that it only works for Z-VRS calls placed to your videophone. Peer to Peer (P2P) calls will not send an alert to your messaging pager via Z-Alert. I would love to be corrected wrong on this one!

I intend to use this Z-340 videophone for my work, and I hope to give a more complete report on the Z-340 in a few months. (I start work in mid-August.) Overall, this is a nice unit, despite its shortcomings, and one I expect will easily serve my needs at work.

:thumbd: for Z-340. Lack of web browser for WiFI hotstop and no built-in flashing light.

I just found out that the Belkin N Router is having problem with Video broadband although VP200 had no issue with it. I've tried with Z340 wirelessly and once logged in and chat with my brother through Zvrs operator, few min later operator frozed up. I tried rebooting router and tried again. Same thing. I have old spare Dlink wireless router. I tested it and it works but it was slow. The technician had lists of routers that works best. My Belkin N router was listed as recommend router. I told him it must have something to do with firmware. I've updated firmware several months ago which was the last time I've done. I think Firmware was to be blamed. I will downgrade the firmware back to original and see what happened.

Z340 do not need special setup on router. Just directly connect wirelessly or wired and it's ready to go once it's logged in.

I will contact my friend and inform them about the router situation cuz we both have exact same belkin model.

Personally, video bandwidth is high and can heat up router. Some router stay cool regardless. Zvrs technician told me that my friend's Belkin router was hot to the touch while he touched mine and it was a little warm. He was surprised the difference on exact same brand.

As for Z340 lacking browser, Have you thought of bridging your netbook or laptop from wireless to wired to Z340 without Web login by logging Web Login through laptop then bridge it to Z340? That's something in my mind that I would try.

I currently have Z340 now and haven't added more contact lists :giggle:

Catty

I just worked on my Belkin router by updating firmware (Firmware version 3000 and I upgraded from 3.01.17 to 3.01.29) and it seem better but It only works with P2P (Person to Person) from Z340 to Sorenson. I chat with my friend for 15 min without any glitch. But calling my mom through ZVRS operator, after my mom answered the call, we chat about couple min and it frozed. I tried few times, same thing happen. I decide to connect Z340 to Ethernet (connected to Belkin N router) and it does same thing.

My question is that why P2P works fine when I called several friends with Z340 wirelessly and it didn't have glitch while ZVRS operator freeze up few min after they connected with my mom and brother. My friend reported same thing ( they just got Z340 setup couple days ago and they have exact same Belkin router like mine).

I decide to swap it to old D-Link DL-624 Extreme G Wireless router, The wireless connection to Z340 don't work too well cuz it was slow. So I connected it to Ethernet. My installer called his tech support through ZVRS operator with VCO, It works fine without freezing up. I really want wireless connection so I thought why not get different brand wireless router, preferly N Wireless router.

#1. Why Belkin N Router works perfectly fine with Sorenson and I had it for a year and it failed Z340 on ZVRS operator and works fine with P2P.

#2. Belkin Router = Epic Fails!??

#3. What N (not G) Wireless Router you recommend for VP calls without glitch and don't want heat problem with it (some routers get hot which I don't like about).

Suggestions?

Catty

I just worked on my Belkin router by updating firmware (Firmware version 3000 and I upgraded from 3.01.17 to 3.01.29) and it seem better but It only works with P2P (Person to Person) from Z340 to Sorenson. I chat with my friend for 15 min without any glitch. But calling my mom through ZVRS operator, after my mom answered the call, we chat about couple min and it frozed. I tried few times, same thing happen. I decide to connect Z340 to Ethernet (connected to Belkin N router) and it does same thing.

My question is that why P2P works fine when I called several friends with Z340 wirelessly and it didn't have glitch while ZVRS operator freeze up few min after they connected with my mom and brother. My friend reported same thing ( they just got Z340 setup couple days ago and they have exact same Belkin router like mine).

I decide to swap it to old D-Link DL-624 Extreme G Wireless router, The wireless connection to Z340 don't work too well cuz it was slow. So I connected it to Ethernet. My installer called his tech support through ZVRS operator with VCO, It works fine without freezing up. I really want wireless connection so I thought why not get different brand wireless router, preferly N Wireless router.

#1. Why Belkin N Router works perfectly fine with Sorenson and I had it for a year and it failed Z340 on ZVRS operator and works fine with P2P.

#2. Belkin Router = Epic Fails!??

#3. What N (not G) Wireless Router you recommend for VP calls without glitch and don't want heat problem with it (some routers get hot which I don't like about).

Suggestions?

Catty

Yes, videophones should recommend "N" wireless. It is longer range than "G".

Yes, videophones should recommend "N" wireless. It is longer range than "G".

My router is already "N" wireless router. But it is causing problem with Z340. So I am thinking about getting different brand like D-link. I saw plenty of these in Ebay for $40 buck average.

Catty

Well, most videophones often complicate with network G well than it does with the network N. Though some does well with N type...mine does.

Purplecatty, Belkin router is not recommended so I would suggest a D-Link (preferable) or linksys router.

Z-340 is easy to set up due that it has SIP protocol, not old-fart H:323 protocol.

Well, most videophones often complicate with network G well than it does with the network N. Though some does well with N type...mine does.

Purplecatty, Belkin router is not recommended so I would suggest a D-Link (preferable) or linksys router.

Z-340 is easy to set up due that it has SIP protocol, not old-fart H:323 protocol.

I just bought Dlink DIR-655 Extreme N Wireless router because I do have heavy bandwidth that two of my kids play online games that kept crashing Belkin N wireless router. I just ante it up to better router.

Belkin router is out of recommendation group now.

As for Z340, I just spoke with Regional Manager through VP and I asked lot of questions about the routers. He said he just got a new updated lists for recommend "Top 5" routers that works very well with Z340. My Dlink-655 router is one of them. Whew!!

I asked about the Web log-in issue that Z340 do not have if staying in Hotel or visiting WiFi hotspot. He said No Worry! Good News!! ZVRS is working on to include "lightweight" browser to allow Web log-in very soon. It would be on the next update in few months or so. So it would be at par with Purple and Viable. This will make life easier for deafie.

Catty

I just bought Dlink DIR-655 Extreme N Wireless router because I do have heavy bandwidth that two of my kids play online games that kept crashing Belkin N wireless router. I just ante it up to better router.

Belkin router is out of recommendation group now.

As for Z340, I just spoke with Regional Manager through VP and I asked lot of questions about the routers. He said he just got a new updated lists for recommend "Top 5" routers that works very well with Z340. My Dlink-655 router is one of them. Whew!!

I asked about the Web log-in issue that Z340 do not have if staying in Hotel or visiting WiFi hotspot. He said No Worry! Good News!! ZVRS is working on to include "lightweight" browser to allow Web log-in very soon. It would be on the next update in few months or so. So it would be at par with Purple and Viable. This will make life easier for deafie.

Catty

It's great that Dir 655 finally works with the z340 now though I'm not sure as if it works with MVP... few months ago I was told it didn't work out. Dir 655 is super fast that I gathered. I have a Dir 625 router which is also fast but not as fast as 655 I believe. Dir 625 router is not in use yet but will test with it soon.

I use Linksys WRT160N router now and it really surprised me that it works with all MVP, z340, and vp200 and will test Ojo along soon. I plan to turn SnapVRS Ojo into Z-Ojo or return it back and buy a z-Ojo with its special offer underway that I'm thinking now. It's my first time using a Linksys router though I personally prefer D-Link (a long time habit to break huh lol) so I might try the switch once again to hook up with those twos along and test it (hope all works out).

Yep, Zvrs is underway working on a web login browser for the z340 product which will be good for some places that require it. MVP has it already, ofc.

After all, I'm glad for you being happy with your Dir 655 and z340. Do you also have a MVP? If so, does it work out with the 655 yet?

It's great that Dir 655 finally works with the z340 now though I'm not sure as if it works with MVP... few months ago I was told it didn't work out. Dir 655 is super fast that I gathered. I have a Dir 625 router which is also fast but not as fast as 655 I believe. Dir 625 router is not in use yet but will test with it soon.

I use Linksys WRT160N router now and it really surprised me that it works with all MVP, z340, and vp200 and will test Ojo along soon. I plan to turn SnapVRS Ojo into Z-Ojo or return it back and buy a z-Ojo with its special offer underway that I'm thinking now. It's my first time using a Linksys router though I personally prefer D-Link (a long time habit to break huh lol) so I might try the switch once again to hook up with those twos along and test it (hope all works out).

Yep, Zvrs is underway working on a web login browser for the z340 product which will be good for some places that require it. MVP has it already, ofc.

After all, I'm glad for you being happy with your Dir 655 and z340. Do you also have a MVP? If so, does it work out with the 655 yet?

I do not have MVP. I already signed up for Purple member last year (spring) and I haven't had MVP. The Purple Rep told me that it will come this summer. Now summer is here and I don't see or hear them about MVP. :shrug: . I believe that my Dlink DIR-655 would work with MVP as well as Viable. Because it can handle HDTV bandwidth for TV or PC. it also can handle heavy bandwith. So it won't be a problem.

According to ZVRS Rep, Dlink DIR-655 is one of the top 5 Wireless router that work like a Champ. It is the most recent listing.

At least I won it in Ebay for $83, thus saving me $45 with free Sh/h.

I will post when I receive it from shipment, it's currently in transit.

Catty

Tried to compare the Z 340 to my Purple Netbook today, but my friend couldn't get his Z to connect to our church's unsecured wireless. Do the Z videophones have trouble connecting to wifi? This is the 2nd time I've seen that someone can't get connected to free, open wireless networks. (I had no problem connecting.)

Tried to compare the Z 340 to my Purple Netbook today, but my friend couldn't get his Z to connect to our church's unsecured wireless. Do the Z videophones have trouble connecting to wifi? This is the 2nd time I've seen that someone can't get connected to free, open wireless networks. (I had no problem connecting.)

It's the issue with their router, Not all routers compatible with Z340 as well as other VP. Or the router was pre-set to block certain bandwith unless you are willing to hack into Church's unsecured router's setting :lol:

Catty

fyi if you ising dlink dir-655 router with z340 you must upgrade router firmware to 1.31na and uncheck wish and sip and securespot then z340 will work it because it needed sip funtion for retrieving phone list the version 1.21 was so buggy that lan area wont recive ip address properly

My family use DIR-655 Router and everyone uses high bandwidth with COX. Computer games, 2xVP200, 3xMVP, Apple TV, 3 PC, 1 Mac, 2 Purple Netbooks and finally Slingbox !

I tell you DIR-655 router is the best thing I ever had in my lifetime and wishes to continue for many years to come until Dlink releases the next generation router with more processing power !

Regards

John//

My family use DIR-655 Router and everyone uses high bandwidth with COX. Computer games, 2xVP200, 3xMVP, Apple TV, 3 PC, 1 Mac, 2 Purple Netbooks and finally Slingbox !

I tell you DIR-655 router is the best thing I ever had in my lifetime and wishes to continue for many years to come until Dlink releases the next generation router with more processing power !

Regards

John//

John, For what do you have 2 SVP200 and 3 MVP? Wife and children are all deaf????

Back