YouTube or Website Info

I was kind of thinking the same thing - with amplification approx. 25-30 decibels. I just didn't understand if a more powerful aid could provide more amplification if that makes any sense.

I have sent in another request for the Cochlear Department at Sick Kids. We met with the surgeon there when Tyler was 18 months old and he told us Tyler was not a candidate. But I remember him saying, if he's still not talking by 3, to bring him back. Not sure if that would change things/criteria or not? But I figure it's worth a try and chat with him.

I was kind of thinking the same thing - with amplification approx. 25-30 decibels. I just didn't understand if a more powerful aid could provide more amplification if that makes any sense.

I have sent in another request for the Cochlear Department at Sick Kids. We met with the surgeon there when Tyler was 18 months old and he told us Tyler was not a candidate. But I remember him saying, if he's still not talking by 3, to bring him back. Not sure if that would change things/criteria or not? But I figure it's worth a try and chat with him.

25-30 is the best that you are going to get. I'm sorry, the range you are in is the very worst for a spoken language outcome. If his hearing was better, the aids would work well, and if it was worse, he could get a CI and the outcome would be better. Right now, he will have acces to some speech, but will definately not be able to hear well enough to understand all the speech sounds through listening.

the UP is for profound hearing losses and no there wouldn't be a difference in what he'd be able to hear with the naida UP vs the naida SP the UP just has a wider fitting range for those with profound losses up to 120 dB SP's only go to 110. I think you should definitely ask to try the naidas with tyler it's worth a shot :) because with the sound recover they can take some of his better freqs and put the sounds in the freqs he cant hear as well in and put them in the frequency that he can hear better in if that makes sense

For ex. I can't hear high freqs all that well between 6k and 8k so my audi puts those high frequency sounds onto the mid frequencies so that I can hear them...so liek high pitched door bells sound different now since they are in a different frequency

the UP is for profound hearing losses and no there wouldn't be a difference in what he'd be able to hear with the naida UP vs the naida SP the UP just has a wider fitting range for those with profound losses up to 120 dB SP's only go to 110. I think you should definitely ask to try the naidas with tyler it's worth a shot :) because with the sound recover they can take some of his better freqs and put the sounds in the freqs he cant hear as well in and put them in the frequency that he can hear better in if that makes sense

For ex. I can't hear high freqs all that well between 6k and 8k so my audi puts those high frequency sounds onto the mid frequencies so that I can hear them...so liek high pitched door bells sound different now since they are in a different frequency

Transpostion only works if you have a sloping loss. If the loss is similar across all the frequencies, it wouldn't do any good.

Transpostion only works if you have a sloping loss. If the loss is similar across all the frequencies, it wouldn't do any good.

right...I never remember ryancher saying how his loss looks like so I was goin out on a limb:) lol

What everyone else has said is right. It's great.
But I think a good solution? Give them the URL to AllDeaf.com.
They might begin to understand where you're coming from, also the challenges an hoh/D person can experience, and get a taste of hoh/D life.

I just faxed off the cochlear request... I have a letter from the surgeon stating the outcome of our appointment a year and a half ago. And it says if speech has not improved within the next year or two, he would like to see Tyler again... which is why I faxed a new request. Who knows?

Tyler's loss slopes a bit - more slope in his left than his right...

left ear (between 60-80dBHL):
500hz 60dBHL
1000hz 65dBHL
2000hz 70dBHL
4000hz 80dBHL

right ear (between 75-85dBHL):
500hz 75dBHL
1000hz 80dBHL
2000hz 80dBHL
4000hz 85dBHL

25-30 is the best that you are going to get. I'm sorry, the range you are in is the very worst for a spoken language outcome. If his hearing was better, the aids would work well, and if it was worse, he could get a CI and the outcome would be better. Right now, he will have acces to some speech, but will definately not be able to hear well enough to understand all the speech sounds through listening.

You're just full of good news aren't you??? lol

But seriously... why is it that some people have profound losses but still manage to speak with the use of hearing aids? I can think of 2 people right now. Both have profound losses, both wear Naida's, and both are oral w/ sign.

I understand Tyler will have difficult accessing speech... I don't doubt that for a moment. It's going to take a lot of work. But I don't think it's impossible.

probably because they didnt start out at profound losses and later lost more but learned speech when they had better hearing. Tyler can't decipher the sounds because he doesn't knwo what they all mean ...yet and I don't think its impossible either:) I'm sure he will speak sooner or later just on his own time...

Since I didn't lose my hearing til later I am oral and my speech is perfect ppl don't believe me when I say I'm deaf until they see my zebra print hearing aids. I prob know one of the 2 you are speaking of as she is one of my good friends and I know she's worked hard to get her speech where it's at...its esp hard if you can't hear yourself speak or you don't know what the sound is supposed to sound like and mimic that sound if you've never heard it

I just faxed off the cochlear request... I have a letter from the surgeon stating the outcome of our appointment a year and a half ago. And it says if speech has not improved within the next year or two, he would like to see Tyler again... which is why I faxed a new request. Who knows?

Tyler's loss slopes a bit - more slope in his left than his right...

left ear (between 60-80dBHL):
500hz 60dBHL
1000hz 65dBHL
2000hz 70dBHL
4000hz 80dBHL

right ear (between 75-85dBHL):
500hz 75dBHL
1000hz 80dBHL
2000hz 80dBHL
4000hz 85dBHL

I would implant his right ear, no question. My daughter's hearing was better than that and she is now bilaterally implanted.

I would implant his right ear, no question. My daughter's hearing was better than that and she is now bilaterally implanted.

That's why I'm thinking the surgeon said if no speech by 3 years old, to return for another assessment. I'm just hoping the surgeon agrees to implant.

Tyler's right ear is far worse than his left. His left ear is moderate/severe but his right ear is severe.

I just faxed off the request... hopefully it doesn't take too long for an appointment.

But seriously... why is it that some people have profound losses but still manage to speak with the use of hearing aids? I can think of 2 people right now. Both have profound losses, both wear Naida's, and both are oral w/ sign.

I understand Tyler will have difficult accessing speech... I don't doubt that for a moment. It's going to take a lot of work. But I don't think it's impossible.

I didn't say it was impossible for him to speak, but it is impossible for him to hear certain sounds with his aids.

I guess what I am taking for granted is that you want him to LISTEN and speak. People with a profound loss do not listen to running speech and understand it, it just doesn't happen. If they are oral, it is from intensive, long term speech therapy and lipreading (annd luck). But the majority of people born with a profound loss will not be fluent listening spoken language users.

I agree with faire esp if he isn't speaking and he has an avg 80dB loss on the right I think he'd qualify for a CI in that ear. My friends lil girl just got implanted and she is already speaking a lot more and learning words and she didn't talk very much before but is babbling and speaking more now and its only been a month she is your sons age as well

I didn't say it was impossible for him to speak, but it is impossible for him to hear certain sounds with his aids.

I guess what I am taking for granted is that you want him to LISTEN and speak. People with a profound loss do not listen to running speech and understand it, it just doesn't happen. If they are oral, it is from intensive, long term speech therapy and lipreading (annd luck). But the majority of people born with a profound loss will not be fluent listening spoken language users.

I agree with you there... I know it is impossible for him to hear certain sounds with his aids. And regardless of how much amplification, I know he probably won't have access to those sounds.

I'd love for him to listen and speak... but I know that may not be possible. I'm being realistic too. I'm 100% fine with ASL... I am encouraging him to learn it... but I'd love to hear his voice one day too!

Faire_Jour... you said your daughter had better hearing and got implanted... how is that possible? Where are you from? Strict candidacy?

Here's what I found on the Sick Kids website regarding candidacy:

Criteria for implantationAge
0 to 18 years
If deafness is congenital or prelingual, younger children seem to progress faster and benefit more than older children
■If deafness is postlingual (over age 5), children of any age can benefit, if implanted shortly after onset of profound hearing loss

Audiological criteria
Severe to profound bilateral sensorineural hearing loss
Limited benefit from hearing aids despite appropriate training and consistent hearing aid use

Speech and Language Level
The gap between spoken language age and chronological age will need to be be assessed (as this has an impact on the expectations for speech-language success with the implant)

Everything in red indicates Tyler.

I am one of those who was born profoundly deaf (90db at 250hz sloping down to NR at 500hz right ear and at left ear 110db sloping down to NR at 500hz) I was aided at 2 years old (late DX) I had intense speech therapy/my mum worked hard with me but didn't utter a word until I started mainstream with unit infants school (at 5 years old) It is possible for your child to speak but when he's good and ready although keep encouraging him/teach him signs to help him express what he wants/needs, sign and speak visually at the same time so he can grasp what the sign means/speech means, if possible keep up with speech therapy.
For 30 years I had no access to speech sounds but managed to spend majority of my life as oral. I am fluent in oral that people don't realise that I am deaf.
At 30 I was implanted in my right ear, the sound quaility is MUCH better than HA, I am aided in the speech banana (20-30db) because of this I was able to access to speech. But at 30 it's a lot different to child of 3 because my brain is 1/3rd of century old, and I had no auditory memory of speech sounds! it had taken me LONG time to grasp what a word sounded like, I now are able to use phone only with my collegue at work/my Mum, thats down to determination and sheer gut I have got, I worked so hard to make CI possible. A young child has brain like a sponge, they just absorbs the sounds and learn with help as they grow up. So the sooner the better.

There is cicircle (yahoo group for parents with children who uses CI)
Facebook got quite alot of parents with deaf children (ci or not) experincing different problems. I have few parents on my list with deaf little kids (few of them with CI's)

I agree with you there... I know it is impossible for him to hear certain sounds with his aids. And regardless of how much amplification, I know he probably won't have access to those sounds.

I'd love for him to listen and speak... but I know that may not be possible. I'm being realistic too. I'm 100% fine with ASL... I am encouraging him to learn it... but I'd love to hear his voice one day too!

Faire_Jour... you said your daughter had better hearing and got implanted... how is that possible? Where are you from? Strict candidacy?

L R
500- 50 db 65 db
750- 65 db 70 db
1000-80 db 70 db
2000-85 db 80 db
4000-100 db 80 db
8000-85 db 80 db

We implanted the right ear first and then the left progressed so be implanted it as well. These were the measurements in each ear when she was implanted. (The left ear was better than the right when we implanted the right ear, but we could have chosen to implant either ear.)

We are in the US.

It's easier to get implanted in most states than in Canada. Only so many people are implanted a year in Ontario and Canada so candidacy is a lot more strict. Ontario Health pays for one CI fully but in the states it's your insurance that pays not the gov't so to speak so they don't have a cap in the states on how many implants they can do a year.

Back