Your reading abilites?

I've always read way above my grade level. I have gone to the state school for the deaf on and off from age 6 all the way til I was 18, but mostly I was fully mainstreamed in regular public schools. Only a couple of times I was in a DHH program at the local public school. I have found that I benefited the most from being fully and completely mainstreamed.

Rose Immortal said:
A warning about hearing chats...sometimes we're MAJOR slackers in the English department, in those places. ;)

And you're very welcome. :)
Oh gosh yes... Most deaf people on AIM are much better at using proper English than most hearing people, but I find it easier to type full sentences. Mostly people who learn to type properly find it easier to type in complete sentences, but most people in chatrooms don't, and they usually hunt-and-peck. Or they just don't bother to fix their spelling and grammar errors.

So take Rose Immortal's advice and be careful!

gnulinuxman said:
Oh gosh yes... Most deaf people on AIM are much better at using proper English than most hearing people, but I find it easier to type full sentences. Mostly people who learn to type properly find it easier to type in complete sentences, but most people in chatrooms don't, and they usually hunt-and-peck. Or they just don't bother to fix their spelling and grammar errors.

So take Rose Immortal's advice and be careful!

but then again,
its the YOUNG people those are always on AIM/MSN/or in chatrooms, typos is 'not important' maybe becase they are hearing ' they "hears' words in their minds are so they are talking verbally over their chat-dialogues.

Older people or semi-computer-literates are more precise and sometimes painfully slow to converse 'live' with.

:ugh3:

Grummer said:
but then again,
its the YOUNG people those are always on AIM/MSN/or in chatrooms, typos is 'not important' maybe becase they are hearing ' they "hears' words in their minds are so they are talking verbally over their chat-dialogues.

Older people or semi-computer-literates are more precise and sometimes painfully slow to converse 'live' with.

:ugh3:

The way a lot of young adults and teen boppers type/speak in IM and chatroom are really atrocious. It is one of my biggest pet peeves. And it is harder to understand.

My youngest sister writes like that and she is 20. :hyper:

Rose Immortal said:
A warning about hearing chats...sometimes we're MAJOR slackers in the English department, in those places. ;)

And you're very welcome. :)

Oh yeah, I noticed :P

I taught myself to read when I was three, and was reading at the tenth grade level when I was in third grade (when I was nine)

Me--much like Deafdyke. I just can't understand why some teachers will "hold back" deaf kids and prevent them from reading at grade level or above. Reading is an excellent way to acquire language skills!

I've been able to read a few words here and there since I was 3 and that was because my oral teacher would put names on chair covers and so I learned RONNIE belonged to that black haired boy. Likewise if you put a picture of star above the word star, I knew that STAR meant that thing in the sky.

However, I really didn't learn to read till I was five.

According to my school reports, I've always liked to read but by the end of first grade I read at first grade and and had a 3rd grade vocabulary. By the time I entered mainstream in the 4th grade, I could read at grade level. By the time I entered 6th grade, I could read at 10 grade level.

I remember in 10 grade, one deaf refused to believe me when I told her my SAT-HI showed I could read at college level. She said it was impossible for deaf to read that well. I disagree.

I remember my senior AP teacher refused to let me take freshman English at Gally because I kept losing my homework and books. The only way I can write by hand is to print everything. It's like trying to write on stone tablets. As a rule I tend to avoid writing by hand if possible. This was before computer use became widespread.

Phonics has never been my strong suit so that's why I loathe 133t speak. I thougt Elite was pronounced E-lite. Nope. It's pronounced E-Leet. 133t = Elite. I think Bernard Shaw is justified in complaing about the English phonic system.

I must confess here that I tend to make a lot of typos and grammar mistakes in IMs. :P

Interesting thread here... I know what you mean.

Well, I compared my old times with new time at presents. I would say that deaf schools at present time is much better than old times.

I'm not a mathematic person but I am working with math. everyday at work... :giggle: Anyway, I learn how to do with mathematic myself...

I live in Germany for over 21 years and depend on German to neglect English language. We speak/sign in German and post into English to any English forums. This is confusion.

Accord my son's schoolwork... I look at their schoolwork and was like wow that their school work is likely "adult"....

I have seen younger generations, they are doing much better with better reading skill level than my generation. That is what I wanted to see when I was younger, a hope for future deaf youngster to have a better reading level and communication. It works so well so far. Hopefully it is getting better as time goes on. I am at pleasant to see this so far good. :)

When I was in high school, the teachers gave me reading and writing assignments at the college level because I read and write so well. I have my parents to thank them for all the hard work that my parents put into me. :) :thumb:

Well I took this test few years ago at community college and guess what I am at fourth grade level. Whoopie.

Well, I have been told to read and read to improve my vocabulary! and speech! Its no wonder I can read so fast, and yes, when I was in school, I read about 9 levels higher than the average person did...

So, contrary to your belief, we do actually excel..

Kashveera

Well, when I graduated from high school, my reading level was 8th grade. When I was a college student, I was forced to read alot until I graduated with a Bachelor's degree. Now, my reading level is college....

Well, I have been told to read and read to improve my vocabulary! and speech! Its no wonder I can read so fast, and yes, when I was in school, I read about 9 levels higher than the average person did...

So, contrary to your belief, we do actually excel..

Kashveera

My case was most unfortuenly, I was put in oral program for many years and neglect me to learn how to read first. I did not read till I was in 8 th grade so I was far behind in many area and still do. It happens to many deaf people today still. so count your blessing with ability to read. But at end of graduation at public high school, I was ranked 18 out of 500 kids so it showed how hard work I was but too bad I was too busy last few years and neglect to read more books. So I stepped down to that level now. I still can read well even thou I can not do test faster with clock.

Well, when I graduated from high school, my reading level was 8th grade. When I was a college student, I was forced to read alot until I graduated with a Bachelor's degree. Now, my reading level is college....

Yeah I decide to read and trying to get my level to college hopefully. I did read three different books this month. I did go to college this week and saw many young students. I am going to try to get assoicate of degree first and then. Many years to complete bachelor's degree is possible?

In 6th grade, I took tests and was told that I read at 9th grade level. I read college level now and Ive always like to read books.

Yeah I decide to read and trying to get my level to college hopefully. I did read three different books this month. I did go to college this week and saw many young students. I am going to try to get assoicate of degree first and then. Many years to complete bachelor's degree is possible?

Yes, it took me 8 years to complete my Bachelor's degree.

My case was most unfortuenly, I was put in oral program for many years and neglect me to learn how to read first.

One of my biggest complaints about oral programs is that they focus so much on speech, they neglect to teach the kids reading skills.

One of my biggest complaints about oral programs is that they focus so much on speech, they neglect to teach the kids reading skills.

Hmmm, if they neglected to teach me how to read, then I wouldn't be posting here. My oral education involved a rigorous grounding in the English language and grammar, which meant I had to read well and quickly.

There was an AR program at my school to encourage the students to read, and there were two English classes for the 5th to the 8th graders. That seems like a reading-heavy approach to me.

Now, I know next to nothing about other oral programs--I'm just posting what I experienced.

My oral approach required that I read in order to build vocab!!

The guys said it would be impossible to speak if you didn't have the vocab and thats true, so you must read!

Kashveera

Back