Your personal experience...

Farrell

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

My name is Farrell. I'm a graduate student in Chicago working toward a master's degree in clinical mental health counseling. I've kind of been lurking around here for a couple weeks now, reading what you all have to say on various issues. I finally joined yesterday to ask you all for a favor.

One of the main things I've learned in my counseling program is in order to help people, we've got to understand who they are. Naturally, a big part of what defines a person is the culture and community they identify with. As a counselor, I need to strive to understand another person's experiences from their cultural viewpoint without trying to fit them into my own. If I can't do this, I can never really be effective.

With this in mind, I've come here to ask for your help. I am looking for a few members of the community who would feel comfortable having a conversation with me about their personal experiences as a deaf man/woman. For those willing to help, I do have a list of questions ready to send you. This would give you a general idea of what to expect from the conversation as well as give you some time to start thinking about your responses. Because the idea of this project is to further our understanding of different cultures, I do plan on sharing an overview of these conversations with my classmates. However, I want to assure anyone thinking about speaking with me that I would not share anything you did not want me to. This even extends to keeping you anonymous, if that is what you want.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask here. If you think you might be willing to participate, I ask that you send me a message with your e-mail address so I can contact you personally.

Thanks for your time!

Back