Your opinion about Oregon

sequoias

Premium Member
Reaction score
I couldn't find the right category to post this, so had to post in General Chat.
What's your opinion about Oregon? How's the deaf community over there? Are they generally uptight or friendly to newcomers? Portland, of course doesn't have as diverse economy as Seattle or San Francisco or elsewhere. We are looking for a family friendly community to settle down somewhere in the West. I like the diverse economy due to more options to look for a job in case I don't find other job in other sector, more flexibity as well.

Things I know about Oregon so far.

-It's the poorest state in the West Coast (lower cost of living and lower wages) and overall economy never as good as California or Washington state.
-Deaf community is ? because I have never met a group of Oregon deaf people in a social event.
-More affordable place to live in overall, of course depending where you live and how safe the area is as well.

I've been in a limbo of choosing whether to live in North California or Washington state to return in a few years, so wanted to find more about Oregon because I don't know that much about that state.

Well, Oregon is beautiful state, been there. But one Deaf woman really really really scares shyt out of me and I am not sure if I wanted to set my foot on state of Oregon even though statute of limitation has been long passed.

The rest, I don't know much really. Sorry buddy couldn't be of help.

Well, Oregon is beautiful state, been there. But one Deaf woman really really really scares shyt out of me and I am not sure if I wanted to set my foot on state of Oregon even though statute of limitation has been long passed.

The rest, I don't know much really. Sorry buddy couldn't be of help.

Yeah, Oregon is a beautiful place just like Washington State. I've been thru that state many times. :)

Hi, Sequoias! I did not expect that you have been returned here. It's been a while...especially via Facebook. Really, I did not think Oregon being the poorest state in the West. Well, I only had been visited Coastal of Oregon: Eugene, Florence, Cannon Beach, Astoria, Tillamook, Lincoln City, Salem and Portland all at once back in 2005. I think maybe you should ask Jayson Smith via Facebook, he knows so well about Portland and Oregon State itself. He is known as NativeWarrior in DVTV. He has been raised in Oregon and went to Oregon School for the Deaf and now residing on Warm Springs Reservation. He is your same age. Most of the deaf residents live in Portland area, of course it is closer to Vancouver, Washington where Washington School for the Deaf is located. The duo cities have about a good number of deaf events and deaf socials I believe as well as at deaf school. Deaf Timberfest somewhere in OR -- I think it is in Stayton (?) happens every year or every two years (?) Gresham, OR has deaf senior citizen housing center. Cannon Beach was one of my favorite place to visit. Astoria reminds me of Goonies movie. Portland is known for hippy town....artistic and cafes and books.

Hi, Sequoias! I did not expect that you have been returned here. It's been a while...especially via Facebook. Really, I did not think Oregon being the poorest state in the West. Well, I only had been visited Coastal of Oregon: Eugene, Florence, Cannon Beach, Astoria, Tillamook, Lincoln City, Salem and Portland all at once back in 2005. I think maybe you should ask Jayson Smith via Facebook, he knows so well about Portland and Oregon State itself. He is known as NativeWarrior in DVTV. He has been raised in Oregon and went to Oregon School for the Deaf and now residing on Warm Springs Reservation. He is your same age. Most of the deaf residents live in Portland area, of course it is closer to Vancouver, Washington where Washington School for the Deaf is located. The duo cities have about a good number of deaf events and deaf socials I believe as well as at deaf school. Deaf Timberfest somewhere in OR -- I think it is in Stayton (?) happens every year or every two years (?) Gresham, OR has deaf senior citizen housing center. Cannon Beach was one of my favorite place to visit. Astoria reminds me of Goonies movie. Portland is known for hippy town....artistic and cafes and books.

Yeah, surprise that I returned. :)
I would avoid Vancouver due to lots of bad areas and high drug use there from what I heard as well has lots of rumor mill going on in the deaf community. I think I will check with him but we'll see. I've seen lot of bookstores, down to earth environment and the cafes. I rode their light rail train as well, conivient to get around town pretty much.

Ahh, rumor mill is everywhere in the deaf community. I guess it's better off socializing with the mixture of mature and well educated hearing, hoh, new ASLers and Deaf group rather than going to a Deaf club. And of course, it is wise to be staying out of Deaf radar.

Ahh, rumor mill is everywhere in the deaf community. I guess it's better off socializing with the mixture of mature and well educated hearing, hoh, new ASLers and Deaf group rather than going to a Deaf club. And of course, it is wise to be staying out of Deaf radar.

Yeah, also want to social with people who can do outdoor activities together rather than just go there and social with them all the time. Socializing and doing outdoor activities is more fun for me than standing there and chatting with deaf people. It's pretty difficult for sure.

Not just Deaf community, hearing community DO have rumor mill. I learned the hard way, and I don't want to share my experience on this one since it is way too personal and I was shocked how hearing community responded especially in small town or something like that.

Ohhh, yeah I agreed, Guess what?? I hiked up in Utah at Arches National Park last week!!! It was champ!! Of course, I'm still an avid hiker =)
I was thinking heavily about revisiting Pacific Northwest this Fall-- Washington State and British Columbia but it's probably unlikely happening this year.

Come over we can go camping to see how you like in back East :)

Yeah, also want to social with people who can do outdoor activities together rather than just go there and social with them all the time. Socializing and doing outdoor activities is more fun for me than standing there and chatting with deaf people. It's pretty difficult for sure.

Really? I heard these places in Utah, I would love go there. SLC is beautiful city and I don't mind living there because of surrounding mountains. I love mountains. But the problem is, will I be happy there? I hell don't know.

Ohhh, yeah I agreed, Guess what?? I hiked up in Utah at Arches National Park last week!!! It was champ!! Of course, I'm still an avid hiker =)
I was thinking heavily about revisiting Pacific Northwest this Fall-- Washington State and British Columbia but it's probably unlikely happening this year.

Really? I heard these places in Utah, I would love go there. SLC is beautiful city and I don't mind living there because of surrounding mountains. I love mountains. But the problem is, will I be happy there? I hell don't know.

Oh, sorry my previous post was replying to Sequoias.

Diehardbiker,
Already been in SLC and it was not much to tour around. It was kind of small city. Did not have time to visit Park City and Kearns Oval Ice (yes that is where Mike Hubbs trains at...)

You won't because of the mormons will be knocking on your door on almost a daily basis. I lived in Utah before...it's beautiful there but too much religous thing going on there so I left.

Oh, sorry this post was replying to Sequoias.
Already been in SLC and it was not much to tour around. It was kind of small city. Did not have time to visit Park City and Kearns Oval Ice (yes that is where Mike Hubbs trains at...)

Park City is pretty nice little town with a mountain charm to it. :) It's also pretty expensive place to live, too.

You won't because of the mormons will be knocking on your door on almost a daily basis. I lived in Utah before...it's beautiful there but too much religous thing going on there so I left.

Hahaha, so Mormons and Jevonah's Witness are pretty similar, eh?

Park City is pretty nice little town with a mountain charm to it. :) It's also pretty expensive place to live, too.

Yeah, I wonder if Sundance Festival Film still sets in Park City every year in February....it runs by Robert Redford

Yeah, I wonder if Sundance Festival Film still sets in Park City every year in February....it runs by Robert Redford

I have no idea about that one. I saw Park City when I was on way to Iowa from California 3 years ago...Park City sure has grown a lot compared to when I lived there in 2000.

Hmm, that sucks! I considered these as religious harassment. Mainly the reason is if I move to SLC, I could get job back with same company and do something else.

I'm just as confused as hell about whether I should move out or not. I was too rooted here. If I am single, no kids then I could figure out better. Also, from my experience moving to another state ends up being sucks after all. My only solution that I could think of is get RV trailer and travel, pay a month rent on sites like mobile homes, year around campgrounds, etc. That way I can stay there longer to see if there is long lasting click to that area or not.

Hmm, that sucks! I considered these as religious harassment. Mainly the reason is if I move to SLC, I could get job back with same company and do something else.

I'm just as confused as hell about whether I should move out or not. I was too rooted here. If I am single, no kids then I could figure out better. Also, from my experience moving to another state ends up being sucks after all. My only solution that I could think of is get RV trailer and travel, pay a month rent on sites like mobile homes, year around campgrounds, etc. That way I can stay there longer to see if there is long lasting click to that area or not.

It might be different in Salt Lake City but I lived in Orem, Utah which has higher percentage of mormons living there. Salt Lake City is more of diverse population. They do have a great light rail system. It didn't take long to build out their light rail system after the Olympics.

Back