Your idea for new TDD of need

Originally posted by ChelEler
AH FAROUT!! :naughty:

Is there any problem with it so far? Like connection problem? Battery life? Rechargeable? Bag to keep it safe and not ruined? Etc.... I can go on with my list of questions.

I hardly use my cell phone... so far, the battery life take up to 6 days. I don't have problem with connect. Expect if I am under the trees, could be problem... most cell phone are hard to break when drop it on the floor.

Is the battery rechargable for Krown PocketComm? Will it have a car cigarette plug in to charge up the battery?

Originally posted by ChelEler
Is the battery rechargable for Krown PocketComm? Will it have a car cigarette plug in to charge up the battery?

yes, it's recharge, good up to 8 hours on PocketComm... but you can replace the recharge battery to regular battery which will take up to 14 hours.

Yes, there is car cigarette plug (AC) for recharge, but not included.

Me 2! I love Sorenson VRS! I predict TTY would be in funeral homes eventually. I hardly use TTY, and I also found that VRS actually benefits not for myself, but for hearing caller at the end!!! When I made SVRS call to one of hearing person and that person was thrilled and said that is ALOT better than regular relay service!!!! In addition to the sad fact, if I continue to use TTY, I will end up spend $$$ on long distance call toll charges... WIth SVRS, or IP-Relay, I could make calls to ANYWHERE in the world, and the cost is what? NOTHING! Why should I bother using TTY?
I need to update with y'all The minimum requirement of using SVRS of 30 minutes per minutes no longer a requirement! You need not to make at least 30 minutes a month anymore! Thanks to FCC regulation prohibits this minimum requirements! Best of all, the Sorenson VP-100 is completely F R E E!!!, even if your SVP-100 is broken, or whatever happened to it, Sorenson will give you a nice smile and give ya replacement without any charge! Awesome! The only requirement that you need to meet is broadband internet access. Dial-ups are not accepted. With a exception... If you have subscribed to AOL or MSN broadband, it will NOT work with Sorenson VP-100 (Has alot to do with technical restriction that AOL and MSN has placed over Broadband line).

Again, TTY had helped everyone of us in the past, unfortunately the society has evolved once again with technology... hence Moore's Law Technology doubles every 18 months and it has proven over and over since 1900!
In fact, I have spoken to a tty vendor recently. They have told me that their TTY sales now are at 1% of what they sold 3 years ago... go figure!

No regrets,
Appreciated for TTY machines

Doggie

Deaf258 said:
Yeah!! TTYs (old TDDs) will be obsolete in a few years!! VRS is the way to go!! Best of all, you can get a videophone for free as long as you have a fast internet connection and promise to use the Sorenson's VRS for more than 30 minutes per month!!! It is all worth it!! Tell your local Deafies about this deal! The more Deafies sign up for in your area, the sooner it will arrive to your homes!

Go apply at:

http://www.sorensonvrs.com/relay_solutions_vp100_app.php

I use it almost everyday and LOVE every minute of it!! I could sign to someone in another state and not pay for long distance charges. It uses a TV, fast internet connection and a videophone. Awesome!!!!!!

I know a few of you are for VRS. Yeah, free long distance. But what if an emergency were to happen? Or, lets say you want this message to go to the hearing person but the interpreter interprets your message differently than expected? That would tick you off right? If you want someone to get accurate information you need to stick with TTY. Plus it helps your english. With VRS you sign, not practice your english, that is crucial to practice english skills. Oh, yeah, about long distance charges, if you were hearing and you needed to call someone long distance, you would need to pay right? Well same here. If you want to save money with long distance call
10-10-220 first, then press 1, then area code, then phone number. For first 15 minutes it's 99 cents and then after 15 minutes it's 15 cents. That's a good deal. So stick with TTY, it gives the hearing caller accurate information.

I'm still very interested in a cellular phone style portable TTY that I can use for:

1) TTY calling to my deaf friends, on the go (little use)
2) VCO capabilities to call relay services, again, on the go (HEAVY use)
a) Hands-free capabilities - I'd like to use a HUD system while driving
b) I have some residual hearing, I'd like to take advantage of that
3) Use my wireless MINUTES, not pay long distance fees
4) Have various PDA features that allow me to take my office with me on the go
a) Must have: Outlook calendar, personal email, AIM, web, min 160x160 res screen
b) Like to have: Work email, camera, SD card, bluetooth, wifi

If I get a cellular package that does the above features, I'd snap it up right away. I make a TON of CapTel calls just from my home and office alone, I bet if I add wireless I'd be over 1000 minutes a month using VCO/CapTel/relay.

SCREW VRS -- I have used VRS often, yes, but I don't think it's the future. I just don't see VRS being possible on a portable basis for the next 5 to 10 years. Portability is what will make VRS widespread enough to kill off the TTY. Until then, email is going to be the ubiquitous deaf tool to communicate with other deaf, on the go.

Last edited:
The most important improvement for TTY equipments:

Cost! The prices are too high. If TTYs cost less, more hearies could afford them. Then families, friends, and businesses could have a direct TTY connection with deafies and not depend on Relay.

VRS is nice but until enough terps are trained, the service will be limited for the Deaf-to-Hearing communication. Deaf-to-Deaf, no problem.

Just IMO. :)

illustrator said:
I, too, would love to see cellphone and TDD combine. But, it's too impossible because of cost and license. I hear the other company tried make parnter with Nokia to build like that. But Nokia said not interest. :(

Actually there is a cell phone compatible TTY made by Ameriphone. I plan on getting it one of these days. And it's really portable.

You know what else I would like improved on TTY's. None of those stupid symbals when you talk to other person. Sometimes instead of words coming out there are these numbers like, 9542378929 =+_+===+=++++8384t588, do you ever see that on your TTY? I sure do. I would love for those stupid symbols to be eliminated.

it'd be nice to throw out TDD and bring TTDD in... I'm sure you're wondering what the hell is TTDD? a new invention of TV Telephone Device for the Deaf :giggle: who know when the invent that by itself :o

my concept of TTDD's like VRS but it's goes through like a regular phone through tv communicate with people

nozobo said:
my concept of TTDD's like VRS but it's goes through like a regular phone through tv communicate with people
Duh... aka "video phone"!!! ;)

Back