your experiences with interpreters

dbs

Reaction score
I am a student in an interpreter training program. I have a class assignment to survey deaf people about their experiences good and bad using interpreters. If anyone could would be willing to tell me about their experiences it would be really helpful. Thanks.

Is this what you want to ask us? "I would appreciate it if you could tell us about your experience with your interpreters so that I could tell my classmates about it."

When I was in HS, I had an intepreter who always chew her gums. She was nice, and kinda of funny to remember that. My 2nd interpreter had a very hard time understanding in Concept Physics, and she could not catch up what my teacher was lecturing so it wasn't her fault because she never had that class. I bet that my physic teacher was very boring. My 3rd interpreter quit her job because she had no benefit, and got married. My last interpreter was wonderful, and very beautiful. Some of my male classmates stared at her that made them hard-on.

The worst thing that most interpreters quit their job because of no benefit. I don't blame them for that. It is important for them to ask the school department, and make sure that they have benefit before they get a job as an interpreter. Hope that helps.

I'm an interpreter, not a consumer, but here's one that I've experienced recently:

I work in a school, and about a month ago we FINALLY hired a second interpreter (being the only interpreter for 10 kids for 6 months was exhausting). However, she's never really done interpreting work that wasn't one-on-one before, and she's noticeably uncomfortable with it. One thing she does that bugs the kids (and me!) is that she will stop interpreting if I enter the room. Sometimes I'm just in the room to provide help for the teacher, or stopping in to ask a question. But she automatically assumes that because I'm in the room, I'm going to take over.

She also doesn't interpret videos without captions, which drives the kids nuts. She says it's "too hard for them to watch (her) and the screen." :jaw:

If you read my sig, you'll see my experiences with interpreters. Because I have normal hearing, am fluent in ASL, but still have urged my :deaf: fiancee to get an interpreter (because I THOUGHT that would be best for her), I can fairly judge an interpreter's translations. I am :pissed: :pissed: at the high number of CRAPPY INTERPRETERS here. Sometimes I think my fiancee would be better off lipreading. (The NIGHT we fell in love, I started learning ASL from her from scratch. She continued to lipread me for the first six months of our relationship. Now she only lipreads me when she wants to practice it, but I primarily sign to her now.)

Anyway, getting back on track, if you want to be an interpreter, you need to have the right reasons. So many want the money. And you have to be good at signing and listening. And I recommend letting hearing signers sign to you (even if they can use their voices) because WAY too many interpreters have a "STRICT" policy of not listening to any hearing person who signs to them (but then some of these same interpreters sign to each other).

That said, some interpreters are great. But they are too rare. I evaluate all interpreters my fiancee gets to make sure she knows the quality (or lack thereof) of the interpretation. Then I fill her in on what the interpreter messed up. Sometimes I have to be a "pinch-interpreter" for her. (I can interpret if needed.)

gnulinuxman said:
If you read my sig, you'll see my experiences with interpreters. Because I have normal hearing, am fluent in ASL, but still have urged my :deaf: fiancee to get an interpreter (because I THOUGHT that would be best for her), I can fairly judge an interpreter's translations. I am :pissed: :pissed: at the high number of CRAPPY INTERPRETERS here. Sometimes I think my fiancee would be better off lipreading. (The NIGHT we fell in love, I started learning ASL from her from scratch. She continued to lipread me for the first six months of our relationship. Now she only lipreads me when she wants to practice it, but I primarily sign to her now.)

Anyway, getting back on track, if you want to be an interpreter, you need to have the right reasons. So many want the money. And you have to be good at signing and listening. And I recommend letting hearing signers sign to you (even if they can use their voices) because WAY too many interpreters have a "STRICT" policy of not listening to any hearing person who signs to them (but then some of these same interpreters sign to each other).

That said, some interpreters are great. But they are too rare. I evaluate all interpreters my fiancee gets to make sure she knows the quality (or lack thereof) of the interpretation. Then I fill her in on what the interpreter messed up. Sometimes I have to be a "pinch-interpreter" for her. (I can interpret if needed.)

So wait, how long have you and your fiancee been together? And she taught you ASL from scratch, you never went to any classes, and you have native-like fluency? Why do I find that so hard to believe?

Etoile said:
So wait, how long have you and your fiancee been together? And she taught you ASL from scratch, you never went to any classes, and you have native-like fluency? Why do I find that so hard to believe?
You know, the funny thing is this: I NEVER get this attitude from Deaf people, just interpreters. Deaf people are the ones who told me I'm fluent.

Let's break your post down (so I can answer all your questions):

Etoile said:
So wait, how long have you and your fiancee been together?
1 year, 4 months.

Etoile said:
And she taught you ASL from scratch,
True.

Etoile said:
you never went to any classes,
True again. Unless you count my fiancee's tutoring.

Etoile said:
and you have native-like fluency?
According to my Deaf friends, yes.

Etoile said:
Why do I find that so hard to believe?
I don't know. Could it be because you're an interpreter? :P

Seriously, I learned by practicing daily with my fiancee. She taught me signs using her own knowledge, videos, and books, and we practiced together. It wasn't easy at first, but it's now second nature. I have found classes to slow me down. When I learned Spanish, I took 5 years of classes in it, but most of the time I was bored because I'm a faster learner than that. My fiancee taught me the basics like a class, though.

Also, because I'm autistic, ASL was really easy for me to learn once I practiced enough because I'm a visual thinker. Some interpreters and Deaf people do know autistics who speak ASL with a native-like fluency after a short time. It happens.

gnulinuxman said:
You know, the funny thing is this: I NEVER get this attitude from Deaf people, just interpreters. Deaf people are the ones who told me I'm fluent.

"Let's break this down": this is a MESSAGE BOARD. She can't see whether you're fluent or not. Surely because you know everything there is to know about deafness you could figure that one out.

You certainly aren't fluent in diplomacy or open-mindedness.

gnulinuxman said:
I don't know. Could it be because you're an interpreter? :P
It could be, but it also might be because you didn't explain yourself originally the way you have now. So did I not believe you because
  1. I'm an interpreter or
  2. because I didn't have all the information?

I appreciate that you wanted to contribute your perspective to a thread called "your experiences with interpreters" but I really take offense at your tone. You are not a Deaf person. The only people qualified to judge interpreters are
  1. Deaf people and
  2. other interpreters.

You may perceive that the interpreters in your area do not do a good job (I'm not familiar with Wisconsin at all), but you also may not know the whole story. Unless you have been a professional interpreter, it's extremely difficult to know what our job is like. Even Deaf people don't realize what goes into being an interpreter. Things that are out of an interpreter's control that might affect their performance include
  1. kid is sick at home
  2. had a fight with spouse before work
  3. has to pee really bad - hey, it happens in long meetings!
  4. the room is freezing
  5. speaker or presenter just will not speak up no matter how many times we ask politely
  6. got the assignment last minute and had no time to prepare

I find your obvious hatred for interpreters extremely unfair given how little you understand of the interpreting world. You seem to generalize quite a bit about interpreters, and your perspective seems to be that interpreters in general are bad and evil and you - who may be a fluent signer, but has not had interpreter training - could do a better job. Sure, there are interpreters out there who shouldn't be working, I know a lot of them, including some that are CODAs and some that are certified. Sometimes I even wonder if I'm qualified when I walk out of an assignment and go "what just happened?" in my head. But I really don't appreciate your tone, and I don't think you realize just how ironic your signature really is.

All that said, I'm on the autism spectrum myself, nice to meet you.

Interpretrator said:
"Let's break this down": this is a MESSAGE BOARD.
I know.

Interpretrator said:
She can't see whether you're fluent or not.
I know that too. I was just trying to answer the skepticism of the poster.

Interpretrator said:
Surely because you know everything there is to know about deafness you could figure that one out.
I never said I did. Those are YOUR words, not mine.

Interpretrator said:
You certainly aren't fluent in diplomacy or open-mindedness.
Look who's talking! You're the one accusing me of being a know-it-all! On computer forums, you would be referred to as a troll who's posting flaimbait.

It's people like you who make me ashamed of being hearing (thus making me want to "cling" to my Deaf friends more and more).

Etoile said:
It could be, but it also might be because you didn't explain yourself originally the way you have now. So did I not believe you because
  1. I'm an interpreter or
  2. because I didn't have all the information?

I appreciate that you wanted to contribute your perspective to a thread called "your experiences with interpreters" but I really take offense at your tone. You are not a Deaf person. The only people qualified to judge interpreters are
  1. Deaf people and
  2. other interpreters.

You may perceive that the interpreters in your area do not do a good job (I'm not familiar with Wisconsin at all), but you also may not know the whole story. Unless you have been a professional interpreter, it's extremely difficult to know what our job is like. Even Deaf people don't realize what goes into being an interpreter. Things that are out of an interpreter's control that might affect their performance include
  1. kid is sick at home
  2. had a fight with spouse before work
  3. has to pee really bad - hey, it happens in long meetings!
  4. the room is freezing
  5. speaker or presenter just will not speak up no matter how many times we ask politely
  6. got the assignment last minute and had no time to prepare

I find your obvious hatred for interpreters extremely unfair given how little you understand of the interpreting world. You seem to generalize quite a bit about interpreters, and your perspective seems to be that interpreters in general are bad and evil and you - who may be a fluent signer, but has not had interpreter training - could do a better job. Sure, there are interpreters out there who shouldn't be working, I know a lot of them, including some that are CODAs and some that are certified. Sometimes I even wonder if I'm qualified when I walk out of an assignment and go "what just happened?" in my head. But I really don't appreciate your tone, and I don't think you realize just how ironic your signature really is.

All that said, I'm on the autism spectrum myself, nice to meet you.
Not all interpreters are bad. I have just seen some that make me so mad because I caught them LYING to my fiancee, acting like they OWN ASL (I've seen it--they tell me I shouldn't use it because I don't have their permission). Obviously, you show some professionalism by doubting your qualifications. I don't like to interpret unless it's ABSOLUTELY necessary (and my fiancee thinks I am more qualified than I really am) or if I'm at church. (I *ONLY* interpret in church because it is the ONLY place I feel qualified to interpret right now). I am NOT certified, I do know it can be hard (with the things mentioned above), and I do want to go through the training. However, being only 19, I haven't had the time yet to do this. I am not saying I don't like any interpreters. I am just saying I have seen MANY problems with SOME intepreters, not even most of them.

Interpreters are individuals

gnulinuxman said:
Not all interpreters are bad. I have just seen some that make me so mad because I caught them LYING to my fiancee, acting like they OWN ASL (I've seen it--they tell me I shouldn't use it because I don't have their permission). Obviously, you show some professionalism by doubting your qualifications. I don't like to interpret unless it's ABSOLUTELY necessary (and my fiancee thinks I am more qualified than I really am) or if I'm at church. (I *ONLY* interpret in church because it is the ONLY place I feel qualified to interpret right now). I am NOT certified, I do know it can be hard (with the things mentioned above), and I do want to go through the training. However, being only 19, I haven't had the time yet to do this. I am not saying I don't like any interpreters. I am just saying I have seen MANY problems with SOME intepreters, not even most of them.

I do think that interpreters need to understand that they are needed a lot, but if they lie to a deaf person that is breaking the ADA laws. I am gnulinuxman's fiancee :fly2: and I really have taught him all he knows. I help him out with signing if I can. Whether I am deaf or not I will help my fiance along the way and interpreters just need to learn that when a hearing person asks about a sign or tries to sign with an interpreter, its either because they are trying to learn so they can communicate at all costs with Deaf/deaf people.

I am certainly pissed at how a lot of interpreters mistreat some deafies and hearies. I surely want my interpreters to be able to help understand confusing signs and more. :( :mad:

Lets please end this flamebaiting war against gnulinuxman on this topic(he is still learning and all; give him a break because he doesn't fully understand everything.) :jaw: I am the one that taught him so take it easy and also he just like analyzing at times too.

Deaflinux geek

~ "Don't sign nasty if its nasty but keep it to yourself until later then let it go when no one is around" ~ >>CSDG

Interpreters calling others know it alls

Listen up!!!! to those that think others are know it alls :dunno: :ugh:

No one on this forum is a person that knows it all, I definitely dont nor does gnulinuxman and he should not be called one for any reason. Unless you say he is too :roll: much of a know it all.

I resent reading this about my student and if you need to talk to me at all PM me or you can email me at all cost (But no swearing or nastiness about anything please)

My email is dreamtiger4life@gmail.com

Last edited:
Interpretrator said:
Me: "I believe some interpreters are bad because I've seen all these mistakes."
You: "Of course you would say that, you know all there is to know about deafness. :roll: "
Me: "What about the arguments I gave to support my position?"
You: "Those don't count. Like I said, you think you know everything there is to know about deafness, so you have to say that. Further, you are just a lackey to your fiancee, so I can't believe what you say."

Interpreters need to look at themselves when signing

gnulinuxman said:
Me: "I believe some interpreters are bad because I've seen all these mistakes."
You: "Of course you would say that, you know all there is to know about deafness. :roll: "
Me: "What about the arguments I gave to support my position?"
You: "Those don't count. Like I said, you think you know everything there is to know about deafness, so you have to say that. Further, you are just a lackey to your fiancee, so I can't believe what you say."

I agree with you gnulinuxman :ily:

I would not underestimate this guy if I was anyone on here.

~ "Don't sign nasty if its nasty but keep it to yourself until later then let it go when no one is around" ~ >>CSDG

gnulinuxman said:
I doubt my qualifications more because I have low self-esteem than because I am a professional. Like you, I have been told many times - by colleagues and clients alike - that I do a great job. Sometimes I walk out of an assignment and think "wow, that went really well, maybe I am good at this after all." I am just aware that there are also times when I'm not sure it went so well, or even when I know it didn't go so well. That's something you may not realize about interpreters: we know when we're doing a bad job. Sometimes we make mistakes and don't realize it, but if the overall job is not going well, we definitely are aware of it.

You mentioned that you feel qualified to interpret in church. That's great. It also lets me share an example of how I am a professional: I refuse to interprete in church. I am not a religious person, I was raised in an unusual religion, and I simply am not qualified to interpret in church. If I was in it for the money, or if I thought I was a hotshot, I'd take church jobs. But I'm not qualified for them, and to take such a job would be a breach of the Code of Conduct. (New name for the Code of Ethics, BTW.) That's how I know I am a professional: I know my limitations. I know my skills, too - I am a geek like yourself, and I work full-time interpreting for several deaf employees in an IT department.

I don't really see any point to continuing to argue about this. You have clearly had negative experiences with some interpreters, and I was not there so I can't tell you my perspective. I only hope that you will acknowledge that the interpreters you have seen are not representative of the profession of interpreting. I wish you could come to the DC area and see what interpreters are like here - it's nothing like what you've been exposed to.

deaflinuxgeek said:
I resent reading this about my student and if you need to talk to me at all PM me or you can email me at all cost (But no swearing or nastiness about anything please)
I am a little confused. Why do you feel the need to stand up for him and take the heat for him? Why should we PM you instead of talking directly with him? :confused:

standing up

Etoile said:
I am a little confused. Why do you feel the need to stand up for him and take the heat for him? Why should we PM you instead of talking directly with him? :confused:

I feel like I have to because he is my student and lovelife, but if he gets heated in conversation and gets upset on it. Well, so do I :-o and that is why I typed what I typed.

He doesn't need insults or anything.

Deaflinuxgeek

deaflinuxgeek said:
I feel like I have to because he is my student and lovelife, but if he gets heated in conversation and gets upset on it. Well, so do I :-o and that is why I typed what I typed.

He doesn't need insults or anything.

Deaflinuxgeek
I can understand wanting to stick up for someone, especially someone you love. In my experience a more rewarding way to do that is by talking to them in real life instead rather than interacting with the people who have upset him or her. In real life you can call people all kinds of names without hurting anybody's feelings! :D

But really, nobody needs to be insulted. Not you, not me, not your fiancé. Not interpreters - individually or collectively - either. I hope you can understand why I feel the need to defend something so important to me - something I love. It is not so unlike your defense, really. We are each defending something we love.

Back