Your deaf kids, which school?

That is if I ever have children: I would put my kids into mainstreamed school with impressive deaf program since I've experinced both deaf and mainstreamed school and I would much rather chose mainstream due to the challenges and the motivations instead of deaf school. Sorry, ISD!

... interesting, I do have a different thought from everybody else here.. I will home-school my deaf (and hearing) kids. I dont like the public education very much ... unless it gets better in my children's generation then i may reconsider... ;-) One can never be so sure of the future.

I do agree with DeafDyke's thought about enrolling deaf children in a deaf preschool-K then emerging to mainstreamed elementary which carries a strong deaf program (but at the standard level.. no pity or extended time for them just because they are deaf... that is one thing I hate about my elementary education is that I didn't learn very much as most hearing children did. Mainstreaming in middle school was my salvation.) then from there on, it is free-for-all.
If my deaf kids are smart (of course, they will be smart because they are MY kids, lol) and can handle the loads from mainstreamed classes then I will put them a full-mainstreamed school as long there are certain services for them such as interp. and notetakers. They can have their intakes of deaf culture outside of their school. Education is the first priority, period. There are deaf events, hangouts, etc etc so I am not worrying about the lack of deaf exposures, especially because I am Deaf :D

Last edited:
School

I was mainstreamed most of the time except when I was in 4th through the first half of 6th grade and I went to a private school for the learning disabled. I always went to a public school after that; it's where life is and you learn how to deal with all kinds of people.

Since I'm HOH, and learning-disabled, it was made clear to my teachers that I required front-row seating in class so I could hear them as well as lipread when I had to, and so they could watch me in case I started to get hyper. Even when I was in college and in Culinary School, I tried to sit as close to the teacher as possible.

Well, from my experience at the residential school for the deaf as a day student... I'd prefer see that my deaf children attend either one with mainstreamed program or public school.

I am pretty disappointment when I hear about my old classmate who is deaf. Their parents seem not able to take care of deaf kid and decide send this guy to Texas School for the Deaf. Isn't that sadly? The boy never see parents again for during school season.

I would send my kids to KDES and MSSD. As a Gallaudet student, I realized that those schools are GOOD. I will definitely NOT put my kids in a school like...ALABAMA School for the Deaf.

When people say Deaf they always lose me as i never know if they mean, Deaf with hearing aids or compleaty deaf?

I won't say more till I know what you mean by deaf.

Thanks

Then he went to deaf school... We realized that he was too smart for this deaf school. We do support deaf school and deaf culture but we kind of agreed that he should give him a try at a mainstreamed school.
Well at least, you gave deaf school a chance instead of thinking of it as a "last resort" placement. I think Freaky experianced something simlair, when she was in preschool, she's DODA and was placed initally in a deaf school, and then got mainstreamed. And at least, there are "Deaf" ed options in the mainstream (like a self-contained classroom) or schools with a large population of dhh kids.

Back