Your deaf kids, which school?

huneybear75

Reaction score
What would you do if you had a deaf child, which school would you put her/him in? Mainstreamed or deaf institute, and why?

I want to send my future deaf or hoh children to the mainstreamed as long as they have deaf program in there.

I want them to be successful.

I agree, I was mainstreamed myself, I have a hearing daughter and she goes to a public school but knows plenty of sign language and her classmates seek her out to learn sign language which I think is kewl.

i would put my kid into maintstream than going to deaf school... first til i ask my kid if he/she wanna go to deaf school to find her own experience maybe he/she would go there for 1 or 2 yrs til he/she dont feel unhappy, <- he/she must tell me whats wrong with her/him because something bad can happen to him/her... so i dunno..

If my kids are hearing, I won't have any problems. If they are deaf, I would enroll them into a school where there are many "deaf issues" involved, like interpreters, lights, all communication methods availabilities, and most of all, deaf programs.

Originally posted by huneybear75
What would you do if you had a deaf child, which school would you put her/him in? Mainstreamed or deaf institute, and why?
I would send them to both, like most of my friends do.

if i have deaf kid, I would send my deaf kid send to Newfoundland School for the Deaf. this school is high level deaf school in Canada

Mainstreamed!
Either with or without deaf program as long as the school is willing to pay for interpreter. And of course, I'll take my kid to deaf children events.

I probably would have my deaf kid mainstreamed.
I would definitely take an active role in educating my kid too!
And take to deaf events also.

I have 9 yrs old Dirty Little Boy... :mrgreen:
We are his deaf parents. I grew up in mainstreamed school. My first language was SEE :ugh: then came to deaf school.

His first head start was at some center for deafies. Then he went to deaf school... We realized that he was too smart for this deaf school. We do support deaf school and deaf culture but we kind of agreed that he should give him a try at a mainstreamed school. He seem so happy there and he came home with more homeworks than at deaf school.
Only when he is old enough to decide with which school he wants to go, we will be more than glad to support him and his wish. I think he will love to embrace his challenges like me.

For me I would put my child both mainsteam and deaf school for while until the child want to stay same way o go deaf school full time, o mainstream program

mm I wud send her or him to mainstream school til my kid is ready to embrace deaf world at deaf school like me ;)

I perfer my kid to go to both school when he/she is ready to decide i will ask them where they want to go as long as they have had the balance of experince and know how and what they feel comfortable in, its not just because they have friends, it's because i know i will feel comfortable seeing thier report ( progress report) and know they are getting the education they deserve. So that's how i iwll support my kids with thier education and thier comfortablity

If I have a Deaf child, I will enroll him/her into Deaf school in Northeastern/East Coast where the schools provide excellent aspects of educational tools, however, I do encourage him/her to get experiences in hearing world. Of course, it is up to him/her to decide where he/she will go to Deaf school or mainstreaming school. I don't want him/her to get suffer what I did years ago.

I already have a son currently attending PSD (Pennsylvania School for the Deaf) and I plan to transfer him out to a catholic school for the deaf and hoh where it has great education program and etc..and into mainstreamed schools too as well until he gets older and wants to be in either deaf or hearing schools, its up to him. Same applies to my baby son if he is deaf or hoh.. :)

Originally posted by e
Mainstreamed!
Either with or without deaf program as long as the school is willing to pay for interpreter. And of course, I'll take my kid to deaf children events.

For really early education (preschool and kindergarten) I'd send my kids to a Deaf school just so they have a strong foundation for their later education, and so they get taught by teachers who know how to teach deaf kids. That's a HUGE risk in mainstreaming, ending up in a program where there are teachers who have NO experiance or training in educating Deaf/deaf/hoh kids! Even Listen-Up (pro-auditory-verbal therapy and VERY pro-mainstreaming site) acknowleges that the gross majority of mainstream teachers have NO real training when it comes to kids with classic disabilties. (most sped training that teachers get have to do with learning disabilties) Then I'd mainstream them for elementary school. Depending on the resources available (for example if there was a large Deaf population at the mainstream school and things like a TOD) I might send them to a Deaf school part time and a mainstream school for the rest.
Then around jr. high/ elementary school I'd sit down and talk with them about what school they wanted to attend. After all around 14 the child gets to parcipatate in the IEP process...they should also have a say in which school they would want to go to, and if they wanted to go away to school or go to a day school.

Hello.

If I have Deaf children, I'd send them to Md. School for the Deaf or KDES. These two schools are the best for elementary school education. I wouldn't consider any other school.

After elementary school, then I'll leave it up to them to decide.

Enjoy.

Ooooh..reviving an old thread, :lol: Well...if I had a deaf kid -- I'd put him/her into mainstreaming and have a couple classes in a Deaf program until he/she's old enough to decide whether to continue education in mainstreaming or attend a Deaf School.

Back