Your and My Opinion About The CI

Status
Not open for further replies.

D-neen

Reaction score
Hello. For anyone who are reading about the ci that I wanted to comment about. I am deaf and have been profound deaf all my life . I wears hearing aid since I was 5yrs olds and now I am 49. I also do the signs and lipreads. I attended M.S.D. for 7 years and loved it. I always have been accepted who I am .I am not perfect person but I can do all things like hearing do.
Now when I heard about the CI.. I didnt really attention to it. But until then after few years I heard more and more CI user have it.Then I met some CI users who are not happy and removed their devices and put it away.They have their own expericened and shared with me how they felt. Not good news. So I have been examined myself and to hear from others. Then I decided to opposed it .Because of the risks and it's not worth it to try. This is my theory that CI is not nescessary to have one. Signs such as ASL or english sign languages are good enough and those who could read lips and speak is fine. Any deaf person do not need to be a perfect to be like a hearing world. What for? God created the deaf people ..He had a reason and His purpose .
The reason the hearing world want this world for perfect hearing who live on earth. Dr.s .. whoever they are.. just want you to be a victim .. rob your identy .. and your burden to bear that the cost are tooo expenisves!
They just don't want the deaf power to stays strong as a deaf community do. Look at this way... When a blind baby is born.. can they put a new eyes and they will recieves their new sight?? No! Leave them alone ..the same as a deaf baby ..Leave them alone!!
Deaf and use sign langauges are BEAUTIFUL thing! Thee is nothing wrong a person who are natural deaf in this world. Why do hearing people pushing the deaf world away?Are they perfect? Are they ingelligent ? Hearing people can be a ignorant and maybe worse ! Hearing drs ... parents.. whoever are.. who do you feel if we as deaf people to force or make them to be a deaf . How do you like that??
LEAVE THE NATURAL DEAF PEOPLE .. BABIES.. OF ANY AGES ALONE!!

D-neen,
Welcome to AllDeaf...

(Mod's Note - removed the 2003 statement since the thread is split)

wonder how some of the posters in the thread are doing right now....

Just want to say,
Hope you will meet my daughter, or someone like her one day...

Last edited by a moderator:
No one robbed me of my identiy. No one pushed me into this. If you don't realize it is a personal choice, and MY choice.

I disagree with you Cloggy, I hope your daughter never meets anyone like that. I would never welcome anyone who is that disrespectful to my choice in my life even for a second!

No one robbed me of my identiy. No one pushed me into this. If you don't realize it is a personal choice, and MY choice.

I disagree with you Cloggy, I hope your daughter never meets anyone like that. I would never welcome anyone who is that disrespectful to my choice in my life even for a second!

I know how you feel.. but when the "experiences" of people like D-neen regarding CI are all negative, I wonder where they have been looking.
In that respect, meeting someone like you or my daughter would be a positive experience that can be added to all the negative ones.

And I know, some people don't change their views out of fear that they were wrong..... but that should not keep us from showing "the other side".

Yet you seem to feel it is perfectly all right to disrespect this poster by saying "I hope your daughter never meets anyone like that." If you are entitled to make your decision and express your opinion on the wonders of CI, then this poster is entitled to express their decision not to be implanted and the negative aspects of CI. When somone expresses negative, you accuse them of "disrespecting you", yet you turn right around and do the same thing simply because their opinion differs from yours.

No where did the poster make a personal reference to you, or to anyone. Yet you retaliate by making personal judgements against this person. You weren't attacked, nor was your decision questioned. The poster merely expressed her/his opinion as a Deaf individual. You defensivenss is getting in the way of reason. You spend far too much time trying to justify your own experience. Your experience is what it is, and others experiences are what they are. Just because they differ does not mean that you have been personally attacked, or disrespected.

I know how you feel.. but when the "experiences" of people like D-neen regarding CI are all negative, I wonder where they have been looking.
In that respect, meeting someone like you or my daughter would be a positive experience that can be added to all the negative ones.

And I know, some people don't change their views out of fear that they were wrong..... but that should not keep us from showing "the other side".

Or, (even more likely) they dont change their opinion because their experience is valid for them. This poster has ben living with profound deafness for her/his entire life. She has a perspective you could not possibly relate to. But is is reality for this individual. She does not need to be rescued fromthe error of her thinking. She is merely relating her experience, and her experience is reality for her.

I have been bashed by hearing people and some oral deaf people for not getting a CI. They said that I am trying not to "improve" myself but that doesnt mean they are entitled to their opinion. Deaf people have just as much rights to their opinion of CIs.

I have been bashed by hearing people and some oral deaf people for not getting a CI. They said that I am trying not to "improve" myself but that doesnt mean they are entitled to their opinion. Deaf people have just as much rights to their opinion of CIs.

Exactly. Contrary to the opinion of some, people can live a full, satisfying, productive, happy life without a CI. If a Deaf person doesn't want a CI, their opinion needs to be respected. They don't need to be patronized and treated as if they are misinformed just because they choose to live their life as Deaf. Give me a break! Deaf people don't need to be saved from themselves or their deafness.

Exactly. Contrary to the opinion of some, people can live a full, satisfying, productive, happy life without a CI. If a Deaf person doesn't want a CI, their opinion needs to be respected. They don't need to be patronized and treated as if they are misinformed just because they choose to live their life as Deaf. Give me a break! Deaf people don't need to be saved from themselves or their deafness.[/QUOTE]

Help me!!! I need to be saved from my deafness!!! :run:

Exactly. Contrary to the opinion of some, people can live a full, satisfying, productive, happy life without a CI. If a Deaf person doesn't want a CI, their opinion needs to be respected. They don't need to be patronized and treated as if they are misinformed just because they choose to live their life as Deaf. Give me a break! Deaf people don't need to be saved from themselves or their deafness.[/QUOTE]

Help me!!! I need to be saved from my deafness!!! :run:

Oh, poor, poor shel! Let's save her from a life of not being able to hear! Quick....someone call A.G. Bad. They'll help her bcome psuedo-hearing!

Let me add on to my point. Why should anyone have to be around someone who passes judgement on thier personal choice. I would not spend a minute of time what was not neccessary with anyone who felt the need to bash me. I would never allow anyone in my home who did not have respect for my choices. Would you Jillio or Shel?

It not a process of learning from someone. Just because someone meets me, then are not magically going to change their opinion of cochlear implants. No one has that power, so why spend time with them.

Yet you seem to feel it is perfectly all right to disrespect this poster by saying "I hope your daughter never meets anyone like that." If you are entitled to make your decision and express your opinion on the wonders of CI, then this poster is entitled to express their decision not to be implanted and the negative aspects of CI. When somone expresses negative, you accuse them of "disrespecting you", yet you turn right around and do the same thing simply because their opinion differs from yours.

No where did the poster make a personal reference to you, or to anyone. Yet you retaliate by making personal judgements against this person. You weren't attacked, nor was your decision questioned. The poster merely expressed her/his opinion as a Deaf individual. You defensivenss is getting in the way of reason. You spend far too much time trying to justify your own experience. Your experience is what it is, and others experiences are what they are. Just because they differ does not mean that you have been personally attacked, or disrespected.

And why do you feel the need to start flaming. There is not personal reference to you either. I reacted to his comment. If you feel the need to bash me, go for it.

Exactly. Contrary to the opinion of some, people can live a full, satisfying, productive, happy life without a CI. If a Deaf person doesn't want a CI, their opinion needs to be respected. They don't need to be patronized and treated as if they are misinformed just because they choose to live their life as Deaf. Give me a break! Deaf people don't need to be saved from themselves or their deafness.

And people who chose a CI or hearing aids, also can live full, satisfying productive lives. Also people who hear, or blind, or etc....can live full lives. The choice is yours......

Nevermind. :) I really can't be bothered.

And people who chose a CI or hearing aids, also can live full, satisfying productive lives. Also people who hear, or blind, or etc....can live full lives. The choice is yours......

Yes, I agree with you. In my opinion, if people want to bash our decisions, I think it is best not to justify ourselves cuz nothing is gonna change their minds. As for letting them in my life, it depends. Some of those hearing people who "bashed" me were some family members so they are a part of my life. I just tell them that they can believe whatever they want about why I chose not to get implants. I dont really care what they think cuz I am happy with who I am. If u are happy with your decision, then why let those people who bash CIs bother you? Just a suggestion.

The only thing I care about is that there are deaf children who are continuing to be deprived of full access to language. I care more about that than about myself.

LOL! Cloggy - that's exactly it. Same old, same old.

Dr.s .. whoever they are.. just want you to be a victim .. rob your identy .. and your burden to bear that the cost are tooo expenisves!
Good point! Sometimes I think the only reason why oral only exists, is so that people will become dependant on health care.
I've seen attitudes towards CIs become more moderate. D-neen......Essentially all a CI is, is a more advanced HA. It helps people with it, become more functionally hoh....JUST LIKE with HA! If you're not against HA, then you shouldn't be against CI!

Good point! Sometimes I think the only reason why oral only exists, is so that people will become dependant on health care.
I've seen attitudes towards CIs become more moderate. D-neen......Essentially all a CI is, is a more advanced HA. It helps people with it, become more functionally hoh....JUST LIKE with HA! If you're not against HA, then you shouldn't be against CI!
there you go misleading others that CI is a advanced HA when it is NOT! sheesh we, CI users have debunked that many times.. Get over it!

Mod's Note;

Thread's closed for some cooling down period. I think you all get the picture, whether it's debunked or not. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back