You use that for WHAT?

I use old butter tubs to take left overs for lunch. I use an old butter knife, when I can not find a flat head screw driver. I use a rubber band as an O-ring for the water hose. I save the Sorb-It cans from medication bottles and use them as a dry aide for my hearing aids.

I use a spool holder to hold my pony tails. Now that my hair is short, don't need it, but will keep it in case I let my hair grow out again.

A smaller version of this:

wFfKfHTdkrg_P3PAwL73JU1L_q5Z33P1G74xFj10ivZZOG1OxM92MbzCb

http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/public/wFfKfHTdkrg_P3PAwL73JU1L_q5Z33P1G74xFj10ivZZOG1OxM92MbzCb

I use clothespins to pin my bags closed to keep food items fresh.

I use paint cans for bed-risers.
I use an over the door wreath hanger to hang clothes on when I'm folding laundry.
I buy spices and herbs by the pound and use old canning jars for storing them.
I've used bottle tops of different colors and sizes for game pieces and sorting games for preschoolers.
I use clothespins to keep bags closed, too.
I use the reflective window shades you put in the front or back windows of a parked car to keep it cool to hang in my windows at home to keep the house cool- I used clothespins to hang them up.=)
I use the plastic net/mesh bags that onions come in for kitchen scrubbies.
I buy picture frames from the thrift shop for a quarter or less and use them to make dry-erase boards for gifts. The Common Room: Make Your Own Dry Erase Message Board in Five Minutes

LDNana, I love the Tightwad Gazettes, too. I also have some old aprons my great-grandmother made from men's dress shirts. Do you have a link to a pattern online somewhere? We can't figure out how to do what she did.

I use the plastic net/mesh bags that onions come in for kitchen scrubbies.

I do that too! I like them better than anything storebought I've ever used. Old credit cards are also good for scraping what's stubborn.

I use old credit or plastic reward cards to scrape off thin layer of frost or ice on the windshield of the car.

I use regular soap to wash my hair... I have a back-scratcher and use it when back itches. I wear black socks in winter to keep my feet more warm. thats all i have fo' now.

Baking soda instead of shampoo. vinegar instead of conditioner.
we also make our own laundry soap and dishwasher soap.

I have used my crochet hook to unclog the vaccuum cleaner. :giggle: I've uhhh... "repurposed" many craft supplies through the years. I've also learned that a craft glue called ModPodge can be used for a million things. It even keeps holes in clothes from getting bigger, and keeps the frayed part of a sweater back in place.

Oh, and we save almost any plastic container with a lid to send leftovers home with people or just to store whatever. :)

I use tooth picks to dig out the crud from under my finger nails when I can't find my fingernail clippers. (don't worry I throw away the tooth pick after use)

My driver's license for an ice scraper.

A knife for a screwdriver.

A shoe string for a slip lead for a small dog.

My iPhone for a flashlight using the LED flash strobe.

AOL CD for a frisbee. :lol:

I saved up all kinds of AOL cds and made Christmas ornaments with them.

My sister in law made a curtain with hers. think of the 1960's beaded curtains.

I unbend paperclips and use them to get the ear wax out of my earmolds/tubes.

I use compressed air in a can to blow all the moisture and wax out. Just be sure the earmold hole is not pointing towards anyone. :shock:

I use straws to keep my necklaces from getting tangled. Just slip the chain through the staw, especially when traveling. I use to use a empty paper towel roll for the girls scrunchies. Use a old belt hung from a nail to clip all the barrets/bows on. Use a bassinet sheet to shade babies in the car or stroller. Stretch from the headrest to top of carrier or from stroller handle to foot rest. Works so much better then the ones that are included.

Dang you guys are creative!!!! *listening and learning*

I have also used tulle to make scrubbies, yarn to hang hair clips from... I think that's all.

Oh- sheets for tablecloths and curtains. I buy them at thrift shops. I also buy old flannel receiving blankets at thrift shops and cut and hemmed them and used them for cloth diapers, diaper wipes, wash cloths, and, um, feminine hygiene products.
Likewise old towels that get holes in them and don't work as towels anymore. Snip the corner of old envelopes for bookmarks (you slide it over the page)

Old pallets for framing our compost piles.
I've also used a metal head board to a kid's bed for a pot rack, and taken the side rails from a toddler bed and used it to hang vintage linens for display. A ladder from a bunk bed is hanging horizontally in my sunroom with pots for plants on it. No plants yet.

Swedish flag for a curtain.
Window sill for a bookshelf.

Oh yeah, old milk crates stacked on top of each other on their sides for shelves.

cinder blocks and wooden boards made up to make a book case.

I have one window in my kitchen and made curtains for it from a king size flat bed sheet. It was part of a set so took tucks in both directions of the fitted sheet to use on a 3/4 size bed.

I long ago quite paying the extra for 3/4 size sheets for that bed and sew tucks in full size fitted sheets. For the flat sheet I have used either twin sheets or full size sheets. There is no problem with using the full size as the bed is high because when made (back in the 1800's) it had a trundle under it.

Back