You Tell Me.

Frisky Feline

Reaction score
Why are some of the certainly hearing parents get upset when they learn about their baby being deaf WHILE some of certainly deaf/hoh parents get not upset when they learn about thier baby being deaf?

So what is the difference between hearing parents and deaf/hoh parents about their reactions of learning about baby being deaf.

Why can't Deaf/hoh get upset that their baby being deaf? Sure some of them are upset but from what it is common knowledges that they are not upset about their baby being deaf. They have been through all their PERSONALexperiences facing in the majority of hearing world and still not get upset about their being baby. Hearing parents have not had any experience with deafness and STILLget upset about the deaf baby.

Same thing, vice versa with Deaf parents of Hearing Kids' reaction as well as Deaf parents of Deaf kids's reaction.
I wonder. :hmm:

I'm deaf and I would certainly be upset if my kid were born deaf. Honestly, being deaf and growing up in a hearing world is NOT what I would personally want for my kid. It makes me cringe to even think about it.

So, I find it amazing that anyone who has gone through what I've gone through would not be upset about it too. It just defies logic to want someone you love to live with that kind of discrimination.

I'm deaf and I would certainly be upset if my kid were born deaf. Honestly, being deaf and growing up in a hearing world is NOT what I would personally want for my kid. It makes me cringe to even think about it.

So, I find it amazing that anyone who has gone through what I've gone through would not be upset about it too. It just defies logic to want someone you love to live with that kind of discrimination.

It's because some people were taught to embrace life, no matter what.

Hearing parents with deaf baby think their baby is not perfect. They want a perfect baby so they try hard to find a way to make their baby perfect with hearing. Hearing parents are trying to fix their baby to reflect their ideals of perfection and belief that a deaf baby can never be happy or successful unless they can hear. This persists even when faced with the truth that many deaf baby are very happy and successful even while still deaf.

Deaf parents accept their baby as perfect even if their baby is deaf or has medical issues. Deaf parents are happy just to have a happy baby and know that their baby has a good chance to be happy later in life and be successful too. Of course deaf parents are happy to have hearing babies too because they fully understand that the happiness and success of a child is not dependent on hearing. It is dependent on access to language which gives a greater and deeper connection to the people around them. This is why deaf parents teach ASL to their children both hearing babies and deaf babies alike. they also know that children that grow up in a multilingual family are better prepared to face the word than a child that has only ever been exposed to spoken English.

Hearing parents can make the adjustment to better health and education for their deaf babies, but it's often a very challenging transition because society teaches hearing people that intelligence is measured by how well someone speaks. This is a falsehood that is very hard to break and gives the basis to the term Audist.

Very little success has been made in increasing awareness among hearing parents. And even some deaf persist in their Audist upbringings creating a cycle of failure that never seems to end.

Hearing parents don't have the experience of being deaf, and anything foreign is initially frightening.

Deaf parents who are upset are generally not Deaf people, but late deafened.

Hearing parents don't have the experience of being deaf, and anything foreign is initially frightening.

Deaf parents who are upset are generally not Deaf people, but late deafened.

Late deafened people don't have bad childhoods so, no, that is not the same thing.

What truth? Your truth? It's quite different from my truth.

That is the way it is suppose to be.

examples: The world is flat.
The world is round.

Both are wrong and that is the truth. Why? Think mountains/valleys/hills

What truth? Your truth? It's quite different from my truth.

You take what I said as sarcasm, but it is not. If you have some good childhood posts, I'd truly like to read them.

You are the only person I've encountered, if you have grown up in a hearing world as deaf, who has told me they've had a good childhood.

Yes, my truth is true to me.

You take what I said as sarcasm, but it is not. If you have some good childhood posts, I'd truly like to read them.

You are the only person I've encountered, if you have grown up in a hearing world as deaf, who has told me they've had a good childhood.

Yes, my truth is true to me.

I know plenty who have had good childhoods. You must lead a very sheltered life.

News to me, I've never hear that before. In fact, I'd like to see a good childhood thread. I think it would be up lifting.

I had a great childhood.

those of us who had bad child hoods... the #1 reason why... hearing audist parents... not having access to the language that should have been ours... but people who were raised with sign... their childhoods differ drastically from mine... my niece for one... she is having a great child hood! why... her mom is learning to sign and not FORCING her to try and be hearing... that is the difference.

those of us who had bad child hoods... the #1 reason why... hearing audist parents... not having access to the language that should have been ours... but people who were raised with sign... their childhoods differ drastically from mine... my niece for one... she is having a great child hood! why... her mom is learning to sign and not FORCING her to try and be hearing... that is the difference.

Exactly. Parents' attitude toward a deaf child makes quite a significant impact on the outcome.

Exactly, What if a deaf parent had a blind child. Would they be upset??

It is a natural reaction to people to have a child with a disability/or with out a sense. It takes time and adjustment for them.

Human nature to want a child with all his/her senses and abilities.

I was forced (hey, I wanted to play ball!!) by my parents to take lip-reading lessons and learn to speak and am very thankful that my parents wanted the best for me but were will to accept my best as being my best. Therefore, my childhood was good. As long as I gave my best, everyone around me were proud and continue to encourage me to just do the best I could. That is all that counted to them.

Back