"You know, you don't Really Have a Hearing Problem...."

laurabeth

Reaction score
Believe it or not, I actually heard that from a hearing screen technician today.

I went in to get a hearing screening performed - basically, it was free, and if I "failed" the screening- they were providing referrals at a reduced cost for local ENTs. Since I don't have insurance, I figured it would be an easier (ie cost effective) way to get into a real doctor and get a real assessment of where my hearing stood.

So I walked in and said hello, and the first words out of her mouth was "Well, you don't sound deaf!"

Then she sat me down in a chair, placed ill fitting head phones on my head and told me to "Listen for the beeps." I watched as she fiddled with some knobs, looked puzzled, consulted a chart, and then laugh.

Apparently she forgot to turn the machine on.

So, take two. This time, the machine was on, but since the dials were set based on her previous fiddlings with the dial, they came on at a higher volume- namely the maximum allowable. Needless to say, my hand shot up extremely quickly, and I tried to tear the earphones off my ears. Her reaction? No apologies, simply a laugh and "betcha heard that one, didn't ya?"

So, take three - the screening began again, with ME making sure that the dials were in their proper starting position. Then, I closed my eyes and brought my hand up when I thought that I heard a sound. Although, I will admit, feeling the vibrations through the floor of her tapping foot was a major distraction.

Then, apparently since my third result was inconsistent with the two previous trials (?????????), I had to test again. The fourth trial, surprisingly enough, did not exactly match the previous test. (I wonder if anyone has ever had an exact match on two subsequent audiograms?).

So the end verdict was that there was indication of some hearing irregularities, but..... "you know, you really don't have a hearing problem- it's probably just some allergy thing..."

I walked out without a referral.

Ok, sorry, just had to vent a bit- no real question, just a huge, tired, and resigned WTF???????????

I'll laugh about this soon, I imagine :roll:

:ty:

Laura

Hugs, she sounds like she had no idea what she was doing. 'Probably just some allergy thing'....and I'm the Queen of England. 'You don't sound deaf!'- I would be thinking, lady, ONE of us is gonna be deaf by the end of this...*menacing look with sharp object*..

What organisation was this? Is there any way to speak to head office about her complete incompetence?

Most of my audiograms have been fairly consistent for the past 2 years. If they were done right after another they should have been the same.

For free? Good laugh at that rude and incompetent nit. Better maybe to go to a hearing aid shop where they often give free tests to sell the aids. Gee, what a complete waste of your time to see the person today. Sorry you had to go through that.

This actually made me mad....I'd report it to the Better Business Bureau. This company seems to be a scam!....

The lady who gave you the test...someone should have taken the ear phones, put them on HER head and turned it wide open!....Then say "I bet ya heard that, huh"?.....

She's actually making "fun" of those with a hearing loss....Or either she was on drugs or something....no professional acts like this.

Obviously a complete moron who has no business practicing audiology and exactly the reason why so many of us here do not like them. Almost all of us have had a similar experience at one time or another. Where's that nitwit audiologist who was here a couple months ago? Wonder what he has to say...

wtf???
my mom works @ costco and she applied to become the hearing aid assistant and she got the job. 2 days l8r they took it back! bcuz they wantd sum1 with mor experience????

I second reporting them to the BBB as well as the Audiology board!

i woulda ripped the girl a new one and I bet she'd quit her job after I was finished with her..you should report her..and i hate that..u don't sound deaf..and u don't look like your qualified/smart ..what's your point? idiots

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the words of advice and encouragement. The hearing screening was performed at the county health department, so really, the only one I could complain to would be the state health department :roll: It also turns out that the person giving the test was an intern in the county health department - she was just learning how to do it. When I complained to her boss he apologized and assured me that action would be taken.

thanks again,

Laura

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the words of advice and encouragement. The hearing screening was performed at the county health department, so really, the only one I could complain to would be the state health department :roll: It also turns out that the person giving the test was an intern in the county health department - she was just learning how to do it. When I complained to her boss he apologized and assured me that action would be taken.

thanks again,

Laura

Excellent. :ty: for taking action. You are doing a big service not only to that girl, but also to every person who will have to pass through her door in the future.

Back