• Tall

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Wide

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Neither, both suck.

Votes: 7 63.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
To me as a "hearie", the hands posted by Posts From Hell look to me like the ones on signs that tell employees they must wash their hands after using the bathroom. But those read better?

To me as a "hearie", the hands posted by Posts From Hell look to me like the ones on signs that tell employees they must wash their hands after using the bathroom. But those read better?

Well, are you trying to let hearies know that ASL is available, or are you trying to let Deafies know that ASL is available? If it is Deafies you are trying to reach, then you need to go with a Deaf perspective.

This Deafie think poster shows right message. Would tell me someone there signs.

No it isn't spoken - and deaf people don't hear. But the expressions are used just the same. I chose this over "Deaf Friendly" which to me sounded too cutesy. Will take others wording into consideration if you have something better...

Didn't like the "spoken" part. ASL is definitely not spoken.

The spoken part is certain to offend a portion of Deaf people. There is some feeling among one faction that we should not use "spoken" and "hear" since that is not what we are doing.

I wonder how fluent are you in ASL? Deaf people who see signing hands like PFH's illustration are unlikely to think you want them to wash their hands.

Why does it matter if hearing people know what it says? You don't need the words written out at all.

The spoken part is certain to offend a portion of Deaf people. There is some feeling among one faction that we should not use "spoken" and "hear" since that is not what we are doing.

I wonder how fluent are you in ASL? Deaf people who see signing hands like PFH's illustration are unlikely to think you want them to wash their hands.

Why does it matter if hearing people know what it says? You don't need the words written out at all.

Eactly the points I have been trying to make.:ty:

Back