Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Neither, both suck.

Votes: 7 63.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mbrek

Premium Member
Reaction score
Not finding an official symbol designating "ASL spoken here", I've designed my own sign to post in my art fair booth. Now I'm leaving it up to you to help me decide which one (or none) would get my meaning across best. One of my best art fairs is coming up this weekend - and I want my new sign posted!

Attachments

• asl 1.jpg
    asl 1.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 2
  • asl 2.jpg
    asl 2.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 3
i think the hands on both are too mechanical...

Agreed. And looks like they are getting ready to sign "but".:dunno2:

I found a picture....... Its a bit small but can't find this elsewhere but I think it best resembles what we would appreciate to see.

isl_icon.png

The mechanical sign as Ash put it honestly makes me see "Oh, a hearing person that will be all excited to use sign language and proceed to spell her (usually a her) name out very slowly..."

I found a picture....... Its a bit small but can't find this elsewhere but I think it best resembles what we would appreciate to see.

The mechanical sign as Ash put it honestly makes me see "Oh, a hearing person that will be all excited to use sign language and proceed to spell her (usually a her) name out very slowly..."

isl_icon.png

**j.........................i..................l.................l.................i...............o**

I think the deafie would have fallen asleep at about "i".:giggle:

**j.........................i..................l.................l.................i...............o**

I think the deafie would have fallen asleep at about "i".:giggle:

Or in my case, held three conversations by the time you were wrapping up without you knowing. :)

Since ASL isn't spoken, I think that appeals more in a cutesy way to hearing people.

I vote tall but mean wide. Too bad all this input was not given when sign was be developed and input was asked for.

I voted for the wider sign, mostly because I would prefer to see the graphics on top.

Your project has given me a new appreciation of how difficult hands are to draw, particularly from the angle that the viewer sees when the other person is signing the word "sign."

I have a new appreciation for the "power fist" icon as well. It seems hands are especially difficult to draw in "icon" type drawings. Larger figures like a man, woman, wheelchair, telephone handset, are easier to sucessfully reduce to icon type drawings.

The picture PFH doesn't say "sign" but it is a pair of hands. If fluent signers think that gets the idea across and you don't have to deal with iconizing an almost impossible to draw hand position -- sounds like a win!

I voted for the wider sign, mostly because I would prefer to see the graphics on top.

Your project has given me a new appreciation of how difficult hands are to draw, particularly from the angle that the viewer sees when the other person is signing the word "sign."

I have a new appreciation for the "power fist" icon as well. It seems hands are especially difficult to draw in "icon" type drawings. Larger figures like a man, woman, wheelchair, telephone handset, are easier to sucessfully reduce to icon type drawings.

The picture PFH doesn't say "sign" but it is a pair of hands. If fluent signers think that gets the idea across and you don't have to deal with iconizing an almost impossible to draw hand position -- sounds like a win!

It is the sign for Gestuno, though.

Since ASL isn't spoken, I think that appeals more in a cutesy way to hearing people.

No it isn't spoken - and deaf people don't hear. But the expressions are used just the same. I chose this over "Deaf Friendly" which to me sounded too cutesy. Will take others wording into consideration if you have something better...

Didn't like the "spoken" part. ASL is definitely not spoken.

No it isn't spoken - and deaf people don't hear. But the expressions are used just the same. I chose this over "Deaf Friendly" which to me sounded too cutesy. Will take others wording into consideration if you have something better...

When I visited the south, I would see signs in restaurants and motels that had "biker-friendly" signs. They didn't seem cutesy at all, just matter of fact.

The most important thing is to be clear and to the point. Deaf people can read so it's not necessary to have illustrations of ASL signs.

Why not ASL friendly?

Why not ASL friendly?

I like that one, Although DC does make a good point, that yes we can read... but its easier to pick out a picture than it is words in a crowd of people. I like the idea of having a picture, but as i said before, those hands are too mechanical looking. I do like the one PFH posted, looks more free flowing than the other. The other does seem like it would have a person who thinks they are good with knowing just the alphabet... and nothing more. free flowing is good, more natural.

I like that one, Although DC does make a good point, that yes we can read... but its easier to pick out a picture than it is words in a crowd of people. I like the idea of having a picture, but as i said before, those hands are too mechanical looking. I do like the one PFH posted, looks more free flowing than the other. The other does seem like it would have a person who thinks they are good with knowing just the alphabet... and nothing more. free flowing is good, more natural.

If it were me, I'd simply use the hand illustration *A S L * *friend* If you are trying to address ASL users, they will now instantly what is being said. Is it really important for the general public to know that the business has someone fluent in ASL working there?

It's a situation of know your target, address your target.

Back