Yiiiii Sorenson VP 200--- noooooo

LilleJ

Reaction score
Oh my word!:rl:

I got the Sorenson VP 200 yesterday and I have never been more disappointed. It is free right? Yep, But at age 55, I do not read signing or have I ever learned to sign.. Never...... The CA/Interpeter/Operator isn't even understandable reading their lips, they are not even mouthing complete words..

I am oral speaking person, being deaf on one side and hard of hearing on the other. I grew up preferring lipreading and text.
In Oregon the best relay service was Captel, I loved it to heaven..
In Washington does not offer Captel, only VCO and it is extrememly slow and not always accurate, very time consuming as well ackward..

What to do? I hate for the guy to come back to get this equipment, I still need something to communicate ( if not Captel in Washington State) I do have Sorensen, Myiprelay, i711 downloaded on my computer and my Sidekick3
Not all that pleased with them, the Comcast modem cable and phone costs me roughly over $100.00 per month! No thankee...........Will have to disconnect at end of month and go wireless? ( Probably no better)

I am new and am alone for first time, being divorced and children all grown up and moved away. So I am learning new things..

Thank you to all who read and help!

what? it cost you around $100.00 a monthly oh please!
i have vp-200 not cost with phone bills. my router -200 is free. my modem cost me 39.00 monthly with high speed that all we paid... i cant believe your money was waste.....

I got the Sorenson VP 200 yesterday and I have never been more disappointed. It is free right? Yep, But at age 55, I do not read signing or have I ever learned to sign.. Never...... The CA/Interpeter/Operator isn't even understandable reading their lips, they are not even mouthing complete words..

I am oral speaking person, being deaf on one side and hard of hearing on the other. I grew up preferring lipreading and text.
In Washington does not offer Captel, only VCO and it is extrememly slow and not always accurate, very time consuming as well ackward..

What to do? I hate for the guy to come back to get this equipment, I still need something to communicate ( if not Captel in Washington State) I do have Sorensen, Myiprelay, i711 downloaded on my computer and my Sidekick3
Not all that pleased with them, the Comcast modem cable and phone costs me roughly over $100.00 per month! No thankee...........Will have to disconnect at end of month and go wireless? ( Probably no better)

I am new and am alone for first time, being divorced and children all grown up and moved away. So I am learning new things..

Ah Comcast! make sense! You asked for Three Tier package just like TimeWarner's RoadRunner (I paid $114 mo for it). You can cancel it's service anyway.

Catty

Yeah I am a little confused...the VP is for Deaf people who use sign language. If you are not a sign language user why do you have a VP? :confused:

It is too bad that you do not know how to sign. Please get over with and start learning some sign language. I am not perfect sign, but I am getting better. That's what you need is to shut up and do some signs. I realize that VP200 is somewhat fun. You can talk some deaf people on VP200 in one by one which is not too bad at all. I believe that you will love it later on. Actually, I use my TTY and VP200 - whatever I feel like...

About your bill, I am sure that it is a mistake. You can solve the problem. You should not pay for it no matter what. It's the company's problem. You also should not pay the fine. If that happens, just hang it up and don't do anything with the bill. Good Luck.

well what is wrong with relay tty.... just type in words...

I don't know ASL very well either... and I can't talk well either...
and plus my hearing is bad. so I need my tty relay to communicate
with people better.

etolie, u really need to think before u assume things, she mentioned shes a oral deaf and has never learned to sign and shes trying to learn, this whole situation is new to her, and she did mention she's DEAF meaning she can have a VP, just because she doesn't sign doesn't mean she can't use a VP there are ways to communicate and this is one of them. takes time...

as for lillej I have a suggestion for you...

ASLPro.com Home this place will help you learn sign and also get perception of communicating with others. I wish u the best..

as for ur bill, check again cuz usually first installion is higher then the following month will be lesser with same fixed rate. Mine's 80 a month and thats fine with me i rather have a cable modem as opposed to no internet no vp :)

well what is wrong with relay tty.... just type in words...

I don't know ASL very well either... and I can't talk well either...
and plus my hearing is bad. so I need my tty relay to communicate
with people better.
I know a lot of people hate TTY because it is so slow. Sometimes when I am working in VRS I will ask "are you familiar with video relay" and they say "oh no, it's so slow, I don't have time for this right now" but I always tell them that VRS is much faster...with ASL we can communicate almost real-time and we can show emotions much better etc. So there are a couple of reasons why VRS is better than TTY relay. Also not all Deaf people think they have good English skills. I know one Deaf man who always says his English is bad, it is actually pretty good but he doesn't trust it so he likes VRS because he can communicate in his own language rather than trying to read a 2nd language.

etolie, u really need to think before u assume things, she mentioned shes a oral deaf and has never learned to sign and shes trying to learn, this whole situation is new to her, and she did mention she's DEAF meaning she can have a VP, just because she doesn't sign doesn't mean she can't use a VP there are ways to communicate and this is one of them. takes time...
Please show me where I said that she was not deaf? I said that VP are designed for sign language users. True biz look on the Sorenson website. When you fill out the application it says "Please note that the free Sorenson videophone is available for deaf and hard-of-hearing individuals who primarily use American Sign Language (ASL) to communicate." So that is why I said they are for sign language users. I didn't say the OP shouldn't use one, I just meant they are not designed for lip reading. Maybe in future we will have better technology like 3-D technology and lip reading will be easier then. But right now VP-200 is not designed for lip reading, it is designed for sign language. She does not sign, so I was wondering why she requested a VP from Sorenson and then she complains that the VI isn't mouthing complete words...did she even tell the VI that she is trying to lipread them?

So please read my post completely before you assume the wrong thing...you never seem to pay attention to what I say, you just jump to conclusions. If you read it again you will see what I said the first time...thank you! :ty:

That's what my mother told me about that. She said that it is much better than using a TTY because it saves her time. She is hearing. She got a call on the telephone with her deaf friend using the VP. Sigh.

But, I still use my TTY sometimes. Some deaf cannot sign well and cannot talk clear so it would be useful for them to use the TTY.

That's what my mother told me about that. She said that it is much better than using a TTY because it saves her time. She is hearing. She got a call on the telephone with her deaf friend using the VP. Sigh.

But, I still use my TTY sometimes. Some deaf cannot sign well and cannot talk clear so it would be useful for them to use the TTY.
Oh yes I agree, I still have a TTY to talk to my deaf friends who don't sign. Sometimes we use email but sometimes we talk on the TTY. :)

I am curious about this one. Are you afraid to use the VP? Is this why?

TVkiss1.jpg

or you would rather like this:

TVkiss2.jpg

:giggle:

well think abt the WAY u said it etolie show some respect SHE is LEARNING common sense prevail dont put poeple down just cause they don't sign doesn't mean they can't USE one Sheesh I can READ maybe U NEED to understand the feelings amongest OTHERS im not jumping to conculsions U seem to be belittling poeple!!!! stop and think before u type anything this is EXACTLY why interps need to draw the line on respecting the deaf poeple and just help with resources! this is WHY i dont always socialize with interps cuz they have a tendency of crossing the line and getting involed with poeple that has NO place in thier own. UR HEARING we're DEAF doesn't mean u can jump in take over our lives!

I am curious about this one. Are you afraid to use the VP? Is this why?

TVkiss1.jpg

or you would rather like this:

TVkiss2.jpg

:giggle:
lol web ur funny!!!!

i can understand U WANTING to use tty but think abt this not many have ttys usage anymore they are using internet to communicate and VP too.... we just need to train Interps to also do oral interping NOT just ASL too.

well think abt the WAY u said it etolie show some respect SHE is LEARNING common sense prevail dont put poeple down just cause they don't sign doesn't mean they can't USE one Sheesh I can READ maybe U NEED to understand the feelings amongest OTHERS im not jumping to conculsions U seem to be belittling poeple!!!! stop and think before u type anything this is EXACTLY why interps need to draw the line on respecting the deaf poeple and just help with resources! this is WHY i dont always socialize with interps cuz they have a tendency of crossing the line and getting involed with poeple that has NO place in thier own. UR HEARING we're DEAF doesn't mean u can jump in take over our lives!

1. I have just as much right to be on this board as you do.
2. I asked a question. If you took it as offensive or belittling, that's your problem. It was a question. I wasn't even the person who said "you don't need a VP" - that was somebody before me.
3. You don't know me. Don't generalize about interpreters based on me. And don't assume you know me because of your experiences with other interpreters.

I find you wildly out of line and I don't feel the need to interact with you further. You don't socialize with interpreters, so I won't socialize with you and I'll save you the trouble of socializing with me.

lol web ur funny!!!!

i can understand U WANTING to use tty but think abt this not many have ttys usage anymore they are using internet to communicate and VP too.... we just need to train Interps to also do oral interping NOT just ASL too.

Smile.

I didn't know that the interpreters are able to use the oral. That's something new to me. I probably prefer to use my signs. I don't mean sex oral. Ugh. Sorry, I am a weirdo.

Stick with your TDD that has phone VCO and use the relay service. Or go to ASL class and learn Signs and who knows you might find a new lady there!!! She would like to learn signs for sure!

Back