Yet another new guy

SimpleMan

Reaction score
Hello all. I've been lurking around here for few weeks and thought it was time to introduce myself and start posting. I am a hearing guy who has become involved with a profound deaf woman who has opened my eyes to a 'world' I never knew about, and look forward to becoming a part of. But, that's all posts for later threads. :wave:

I am starting to feel that when a guy says hello here he gets a lukewarm response, but let it be a female... wow 3000 views and 100 posts :)

Welcome man, this place is awesome :)

:wave:

Welcome aboard to AllDeaf and enjoy your stay. Have fun postin' with new friends here ! ;)

logtar said:
I am starting to feel that when a guy says hello here he gets a lukewarm response, but let it be a female... wow 3000 views and 100 posts :)

You know, I never noticed that before—but now that you mention it, you’re right… :lol:

Hello and welcome to Alldeaf SimpleMan! Hope you'll feel in place once you're posting away and you're just as welcomed here as any other new member is....Speaking of being involved with a deaf lady in your life, by any chance, do you already know any sign-language or are you in the process of learning it? Please do enjoy your stay and hope it will be a pleasant one too! :cool:

Roadrunner said:
Hello and welcome to Alldeaf SimpleMan! Hope you'll feel in place once you're posting away and you're just as welcomed here as any other new member is....Speaking of being involved with a deaf lady in your life, by any chance, do you already know any sign-language or are you in the process of learning it? Please do enjoy your stay and hope it will be a pleasant one too! :cool:

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome.

Actually, I do know some sign language. The woman I'm involved with, I met online and we have met in person and spent some time together. I had learned the alphabet when I was young, but had to refresh myself on it and knew it somewhat on our first live meeting. In the times we've spent together, she has taught me more, and I think we found I had vocabulary of about 150 signs. Our last visit, we had written them all down so I could practice, and I wish we would have done that sooner as I'm sure I'd know more by now. The relationship right now however is in limbo and I've been a bit too stressed to focus enough for teaching myself more. I'm not sure what is going to happen with relationship, but I have made it clear that I would like to learn Sign as well as ASL so I could communicate with her in her most comfortable language, as well as to communicate with her friends as she is strong Deaf. I've also thought about going through interpreter program if we end up together.

I've read some threads about deaf/hearing relationships and that many have said the hearing person pretty much becomes the deaf person's interpreter and I have seen that in our time together as well, but I do not mind it at all. It actually was helpful for me in my learning to sign, and with my feelings for this woman, I would accept the responsibility whole heartedly and I believe she knows that.

Anyways, that was a little about me. Thanks again for the warm welcome.

That's great! Whether or not you'll continue being involved with this lady, I'm sure you will gain so much from learning sign-language when you meet with other Deaf/Hoh individuals as well...who knows, perhaps this is something you'll feel 'satisfied' within yourself to be an interpreter...anyhow, it's good to see that you sure don't mind being able to help out during times of difficult communication that once in awhile Deaf/Hoh people do go through...and being able to stand by them with your kindness and reaching out on their behalf! :)

Hi Simpleman,

Welcome to AD and enjoy your stay here! :wave:

I realize that I didn't post and I feel that Simpleman deserves another 'welcome'.

Welcome to AD community! Enjoy your stay!

Awwww, shucks!
*looking down at ground kicking imaginary stone*
:Oops:

Thanks Magatsu, and thanks again everyone.

I forgot about this thread forgive me Simpleguy....

Welcome Aboard, You're a really sweet person, caring and very kind. I just wanna tell you that I am glad to get to know you better.. Did I mention that you are honest too? Yep, You sure are very honest. :hug:

Hope you stay in AllDeaf until I grow old. hahaha..... :P

You're always welcome to AD, SimpleMan smile :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: Ive had the pleasure to get to know you some online. I agree with Cheri...you're a nice guy. :hug:

Welcome aboard SimpleMan! Your story sound a lot like me (I'm deaf) and my hearing husband. We both met at the college of RIT. Actually, we met through RIT message boards then we became acquainted through RIT chat and email. He never knew anything about sign language, but I taught him everything I know LOL He's an excellent signer and is far better than me! Though he didn't take interpreting field. He signs with me everywhere and likes to help me understand what's going on. That's just his nature. Bless his heart. :) Anyhow, it's nice to know that you take interest in sign language. I bet that's not easy! :lol:

Back